The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Regarding the greed thing, it has always been the ruler, and has nothing to do with today.
Even a very minimal cruising of history clearly reveals so as more than evident. Greed isn’t news, it’s been around in full force since the beginning of time in every form you can imagine it.

I could be wrong, but, that mall definitely doesn’t sound like a Simon Property Group owned mall (at least not in our neck of the woods). A store closes one night, and the next mornin’ that sucker’s windows are blacked out ‘til the next victim :cautious: is ready to roll the dice... :cyclops:

And, if the mall folks continue to get the rents they want...who actually has their heads where the sun doesn’t (yes, I read your post earlier at the office ;):cautious::D) shine...? :cyclops:
However, they aren't continuing to get the money they want. There are always places that are hungry and willing to provide space for less. I agree that greed has always existed, however, common sense was at one point connected with it. Common sense would tell a Mall owner that even though higher rates look good on the bottom line in the short term that it can also be the exact opposite over time. There was a time when greed was somewhat controlled by the future. Have long term success or do real well for a short time. Or set a rate that is beneficial to all and have a lasting situation. That part has been superseded by the smell of money.

With Malls falling in increased numbers all over the country, a brain should kick in and let them understand that a partially empty facility has the look of death and before you know it all that inflated charging is being rapidly spent just maintaining the structure. If that ain't a place with lack of sunshine, I don't know what is.

It is like my current problem of being basically asked to leave because they want me to pay $200.00 per month more for my apartment for a fake granite counter top, which I don't want, new stainless appliances which will be out of style as fast as they came in (remember how popular avocado and harvest gold was a while back), carpeting that is just a slight shade different then what is there now, replaced linoleum that is, in my opinion uglier then sin, and replacing my hallway carpeting for that same gag ya linoleum. On the upper floors the linoleum is probably not a particular problem because the heat from the apartments below keep the floors warm. The ground floor is on a slab that conducts the temperature outside and even though it isn't the north pole it can get pretty chilly. And they don't care that for that imagined increase in revenue they are at the very least forcing me to move, preferably to another similar apartment in the complex because they can't renovate with me still in it. One way of the other I have to move and I can assure you that it will not be in this complex. Like all I have to do to move is pack a suitcase. I'm 70, I have been a great tenant. In eight years they can count on the finger of one hand the number of times I have called for maintenance or anything else for that matter. There going to take my almost new oak cabinets and paint them white when combined with the stainless appliances and the dark ugly linoleum have made the apartments icy looking and totally uninviting, lacking in any warmth. Yet, that extra money blocks out any appreciation for a constant, steady long term income without having to invest in the apartment until after I die. That is the level of stupidity that this country has gotten to. Only look at today. Tomorrow is unimportant.

Our dying Mall is starting to make a junk yard look good. Literally hundreds of floor tiles have broken and not replaced. When the pieces start to come out they take some dark grey concrete like substance and fill it in. So there you have light tan tiled flooring with dark grey patches. A couple of weeks ago during my walk, I noticed in one of the seating areas a half filled cup of soda sitting on the table in the area. The floor was covered with popcorn. One week later the cup and the popcorn was still in the same place. Restrooms smell awful with broken toilet seats and hand dryers that don't work and stalls that don't latch when closed. Many of the bigger stores that moved out have been replaced by non-profit science and creative youth geared things. You know darn well that they aren't paying the rents that the stores were being forced to pay. The place had a carousel and many other things that brought life to the place. All gone now. Even the food court is like a ghost town even at lunch time when some of the high schoolers walk over to have lunch. It is depressing and I think it could have been avoided. The mall a few miles away is going gangbusters and it is much smaller then this one. I measured my walk by three laps of the mall that was 2.5 miles.

Now they are trying to heat, AC and keep current a huge space with, in my estimate, less then 40% of its capacity. Even the small kiosk's can't stay in business because of lack of traffic and yet one never sees a single effort to advertise and have promotions to bring people in. They do use some of the massive parking lots for occasional driving skill contests. Other then that nothing.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We got in after midnight so no pics so far. The thermostat in our Pop Century room was fine when we went to bed. Blowing air for lengthy periods if time. But now it turn on for 30 seconds....then stops for 30 seconds....30 seconds later it is back...then 30 seconds later off. What the heck. Any suggestions?

A lot of hotel ACs have motion detection so they can save money on heating and cooling when you're not there or when you're sleeping.

SteveBrickNJ

A lot of hotel ACs have motion detection so they can save money on heating and cooling when you're not there or when you're sleeping.
I knew that. Thank you for the quick response. I went over to the unit at 6:15 with my cell as my flashlight. I waved my hand in front of it. I touched fan and moved the temperature setting from 69 to 68 ...waved some more....that should have told it we are here and bought me some time. Anybody else also kind to suggest anything for tonight before bed....any tricks or things I am overlooking?

Goofyernmost

Not that I disagree with all that...still it seems to be a demographic thing and some states and areas that have substantially better planning. We have a mall that will go under in N.IL
Still in the same area we have 6 that are thriving by leaps and bounds. Anyone that has been to Woodfield, Aurora, Rosemont, Gurnie Mills or Oakbrook or Old Orchard know malls are awesome if the businesses have a good model and enough population to sustain a mall. The one that will eventually go under up here built within a few miles of Woodfield one of the USA largest malls. What were they thinking? It isn't anti mall it was what were you thinking.

Woodfield also has tourism. It has a huge convention appeal much like Minneapolis with Mall of America which is beyond awesome too. Then there is the business model. I ride our trains to Chicago frequently a major hub of business. What the majority of men are not wearing daily is suits and neither are the majority of women. Times changed. Sure there are the token few per car but an era for daily business gone bye bye. Not the malls fault, nor the rent. Look at the youth, they are going to work in Jeans and Sweatshirts in the tech field which here in Chicago is booming. Some embrace that and shift their offerings and others hang on to yesteryear. There is one mall but also the Mag Mile connecting it to all sorts of businesses from Crate and Barrel to Uniqlo in a free form stores lining the streets of Michigan Avenue that leads to Water Tower, a mall. Sometimes the time has come for some stores to be replaced, our Carsons for Uniglo, Suits of traditional business wear to more business casual. It isn't always the rent but not changing with the times and updating your business model. Some can do it, like American Eagle which has been around since my childhood and still going strong as they adapt, same with Abercrombie & Fitch still a hit, they got it and move forward. If you want to survive you have to look to the youth not the nearing retired for what sells. The majority of the malls up here get it. Some demographics do not. Lessons to be learned or not. But when you choose not to recognize the changing buyers habits you go out of business.
It is regional to an extent, but, it is more and more the thing that you see. The area here in Cary, NC is considered to be one of the more affluent areas in the state but the number of malls that are dying out and the number of almost empty strip malls (what used to be known as shopping centers) is shocking. What has replaced it have been big box stores and even those are starting to feel the pinch. Want to know way that unspeakable place.. Walmart, continues to be massively successful is because of price. In my area no one can compete with their food prices and the quality is as good as the higher priced chain stores in the area. In the eight years I have lived here I have lost count of the number of mega food marts that have vanished. No matter how much money someone has they really don't want to spend it all. People are starting to realize that Walmart sells the same stuff that other stores do, but, at much lower prices. Status is important to some, but not to the majority. People don't get rich by paying top price for everything. They do that after they are wealthy.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I knew that. Thank you for the quick response. I went over to the unit at 6:15 with my cell as my flashlight. I waved my hand in front of it. I touched fan and moved the temperature setting from 69 to 68 ...waved some more....that should have told it we are here and bought me some time. Anybody else also kind to suggest anything for tonight before bed....any tricks or things I am overlooking?
Foil balloon in front of the sensor. It fools it into thinking someone is moving. apparently.

SteveBrickNJ

I have shaved showered and I'm ready to go. My wife and daughter know that but they are still in the bed. We did not get to have lights out until 1am. Oh well. Their recover IS important.........Here is a photo from yesterday's college tour in Pensacola.....btw they are in Central Time and Disney is naturally in EST. We left Pensacola at THEIR 3PM but at that moment it was already 4pm at Disney.20181106_141230.jpg

Songbird76

So.. my oldest had a haircut today. My girl’s all have long hair. Hers was down to her lower back. She got about 12 inches cut off and now it is just around the level of her underarms. I am used to her with the longer hair, but she looks fantastic with the shorter length. She also donated her hair which was very thoughtful of her.
I was just going to ask if she donated. We do that, too. So nice of her!

MySmallWorldof4

We got in after midnight so no pics so far. The thermostat in our Pop Century room was fine when we went to bed. Blowing air for lengthy periods if time. But now it turn on for 30 seconds....then stops for 30 seconds....30 seconds later it is back...then 30 seconds later off. What the heck. Any suggestions?
Call maintenance? Or just spend very little time in your room because you are at Disney World!:hilarious:

MySmallWorldof4

However, they aren't continuing to get the money they want. There are always places that are hungry and willing to provide space for less. I agree that greed has always existed, however, common sense was at one point connected with it. Common sense would tell a Mall owner that even though higher rates look good on the bottom line in the short term that it can also be the exact opposite over time. There was a time when greed was somewhat controlled by the future. Have long term success or do real well for a short time. Or set a rate that is beneficial to all and have a lasting situation. That part has been superseded by the smell of money.

With Malls falling in increased numbers all over the country, a brain should kick in and let them understand that a partially empty facility has the look of death and before you know it all that inflated charging is being rapidly spent just maintaining the structure. If that ain't a place with lack of sunshine, I don't know what is.

It is like my current problem of being basically asked to leave because they want me to pay $200.00 per month more for my apartment for a fake granite counter top, which I don't want, new stainless appliances which will be out of style as fast as they came in (remember how popular avocado and harvest gold was a while back), carpeting that is just a slight shade different then what is there now, replaced linoleum that is, in my opinion uglier then sin, and replacing my hallway carpeting for that same gag ya linoleum. On the upper floors the linoleum is probably not a particular problem because the heat from the apartments below keep the floors warm. The ground floor is on a slab that conducts the temperature outside and even though it isn't the north pole it can get pretty chilly. And they don't care that for that imagined increase in revenue they are at the very least forcing me to move, preferably to another similar apartment in the complex because they can't renovate with me still in it. One way of the other I have to move and I can assure you that it will not be in this complex. Like all I have to do to move is pack a suitcase. I'm 70, I have been a great tenant. In eight years they can count on the finger of one hand the number of times I have called for maintenance or anything else for that matter. There going to take my almost new oak cabinets and paint them white when combined with the stainless appliances and the dark ugly linoleum have made the apartments icy looking and totally uninviting, lacking in any warmth. Yet, that extra money blocks out any appreciation for a constant, steady long term income without having to invest in the apartment until after I die. That is the level of stupidity that this country has gotten to. Only look at today. Tomorrow is unimportant.

Our dying Mall is starting to make a junk yard look good. Literally hundreds of floor tiles have broken and not replaced. When the pieces start to come out they take some dark grey concrete like substance and fill it in. So there you have light tan tiled flooring with dark grey patches. A couple of weeks ago during my walk, I noticed in one of the seating areas a half filled cup of soda sitting on the table in the area. The floor was covered with popcorn. One week later the cup and the popcorn was still in the same place. Restrooms smell awful with broken toilet seats and hand dryers that don't work and stalls that don't latch when closed. Many of the bigger stores that moved out have been replaced by non-profit science and creative youth geared things. You know darn well that they aren't paying the rents that the stores were being forced to pay. The place had a carousel and many other things that brought life to the place. All gone now. Even the food court is like a ghost town even at lunch time when some of the high schoolers walk over to have lunch. It is depressing and I think it could have been avoided. The mall a few miles away is going gangbusters and it is much smaller then this one. I measured my walk by three laps of the mall that was 2.5 miles.

Now they are trying to heat, AC and keep current a huge space with, in my estimate, less then 40% of its capacity. Even the small kiosk's can't stay in business because of lack of traffic and yet one never sees a single effort to advertise and have promotions to bring people in. They do use some of the massive parking lots for occasional driving skill contests. Other then that nothing.
Sounds like that mall should be condemned.

MySmallWorldof4

It is regional to an extent, but, it is more and more the thing that you see. The area here in Cary, NC is considered to be one of the more affluent areas in the state but the number of malls that are dying out and the number of almost empty strip malls (what used to be known as shopping centers) is shocking. What has replaced it have been big box stores and even those are starting to feel the pinch. Want to know way that unspeakable place.. Walmart, continues to be massively successful is because of price. In my area no one can compete with their food prices and the quality is as good as the higher priced chain stores in the area. In the eight years I have lived here I have lost count of the number of mega food marts that have vanished. No matter how much money someone has they really don't want to spend it all. People are starting to realize that Walmart sells the same stuff that other stores do, but, at much lower prices. Status is important to some, but not to the majority. People don't get rich by paying top price for everything. They do that after they are wealthy.
Our Walmart sometimes has much nicer organic produce than our local more expensive supermarket, and it is cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom