The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

@Goofyernmost and @93boomer check in when you can as safety and power allows. Be safe my friends
Currently it appears to be moving south of Raleigh. Still keeping a close watch, but, hopefully the worst case scenario will be that millions of people have enough canned goods to supply an army stacked up in their kitchens, enough candles to light Yankee Stadium and more then enough water to re-float the Titanic. We are expecting a lot of rain though and this area is prone to flash flooding (I live on a high point in the town, shouldn't be a concern) so that will be a problem especially to the largest shopping mall in the area.

This is the first hurricane that I have ever been directly involved with and I must admit that it has been an entertaining watch. The extremes of how people react is enlightening. I have been gob-smacked by seeing stores that are bigger then anything we ever had up north with shelves completely empty. One manager told me that they will be at least three weeks trying to get restocked. I have also been amazed at the panic level. Take water for example. There is just so much available to buy, yet every home has good, clean water available to them until it isn't. I was only going to buy a couple of extra gallons to get me through, but, I couldn't even find that. So, the plan is that every sealable container that I have, within reason will be filled and covered just previous to the storm arriving. Yes, @MinnieM123, that includes filling the bathtub with water. I also picked up a cardboard box to hold gallon food storage bags, to fill with water, and hold the contents stable. The bigger likelihood is the loss of electric power, so the one purchase that I made was to buy a set of battery operated lanterns, that I should have had anyway. That was the single most expensive purchase I have made. $16.00 for the lanterns and $14.00 for 48 AA batteries. Those lanterns will completely light up an entire room. It only uses 3 batteries at a time. Good investment hurricane or not.

But, at this moment things are looking pretty good for this area. Not exactly pleasant weather, but, it could be worse. The coast is going to take a beating and hopefully the Outer Banks will still exist come Monday.

Rista1313

Currently it appears to be moving south of Raleigh. Still keeping a close watch, but, hopefully the worst case scenario will be that millions of people have enough canned goods to supply an army stacked up in their kitchens, enough candles to light Yankee Stadium and more then enough water to re-float the Titanic. We are expecting a lot of rain though and this area is prone to flash flooding (I live on a high point in the town, shouldn't be a concern) so that will be a problem especially to the largest shopping mall in the area.

This is the first hurricane that I have ever been directly involved with and I must admit that it has been an entertaining watch. The extremes of how people react is enlightening. I have been gob-smacked by seeing stores that are bigger then anything we ever had up north with shelves completely empty. One manager told me that they will be at least three weeks trying to get restocked. I have also been amazed at the panic level. Take water for example. There is just so much available to buy, yet every home has good, clean water available to them until it isn't. I was only going to buy a couple of extra gallons to get me through, but, I couldn't even find that. So, the plan is that every sealable container that I have, within reason will be filled and covered just previous to the storm arriving. Yes, @MinnieM123, that includes filling the bathtub with water. I also picked up a cardboard box to hold gallon food storage bags, to fill with water, and hold the contents stable. The bigger likelihood is the loss of electric power, so the one purchase that I made was to buy a set of battery operated lanterns, that I should have had anyway. That was the single most expensive purchase I have made. $16.00 for the lanterns and $14.00 for 48 AA batteries. Those lanterns will completely light up an entire room. It only uses 3 batteries at a time. Good investment hurricane or not.

But, at this moment things are looking pretty good for this area. Not exactly pleasant weather, but, it could be worse. The coast is going to take a beating and hopefully the Outer Banks will still exist come Monday.

I've been thru a hurricane, in Raleigh no less..it was no fun. I would suggest taking those ziplock bags of water and freezing them. If the power goes out, it will keep your frozen foods cooler, longer!

Goofyernmost

I've been thru a hurricane, in Raleigh no less..it was no fun. I would suggest taking those ziplock bags of water and freezing them. If the power goes out, it will keep your frozen foods cooler, longer!
Good advice, thank you. The storing of water in plastic bags, though I'm sure not an original idea, was surprisingly well received in the store. I asked if they had a specific shaped box they, of course, wanted to know why. I told them and they said... what a great idea. I thought I had created a new system, but, I'm sure I didn't. I got a number of thank you's for the idea. I don't even know if it will work yet, but, on paper it should.

donaldtoo

True -- the only reason I guessed that one of them appeared to be a Harrier, was because the wings sloped downward, just like your photo above. Sometimes planes have similar styles, but are indeed, different models. Thanks for clarifying. (I had seen one up close years ago on the flight deck of a British naval ship, and with the camera, etc., it kinda reminded me of that one.)

I hear ya'!
The only plane I recognized right off the bat from all the pics posted was the old Russian Yak-9...!!! :hilarious:

I first thought this one might be a Brirish Tiger Moth...

20180912_185532-jpg.312725

Then, I remembered the Tiger Moths propeller is at the top of the engine cowling, so nope, and still not sure what the above plane is... :cyclops:

tiger-moth.jpg

Thought this one might be a British Tornado...

20180912_185416-jpg.312728

Nope, not even close... :cyclops:

Image_of_a_15_Squadron_GR4_taken_over_Royal_Air_Force_Lossiemouth%2C_and_surrounding_countryside._MOD_45155748.jpg

Then, I thought maybe it was a French Dassault Mirage...

149408.jpg

Nope, again, and still no clue... :cyclops:

And, last but not least, at first blush I thought this was a Cessna Skymaster reconnaissance plane...

20180912_185315-jpg.312729

Nope, yet again... :cyclops:

5b4da35f1752f70b4c8e802e3f08655f.jpg

But, after some help from the googles ;), I did find out it was actually a North American Rockwell OV-10 Bronco light attack and reconnaissance aircraft...!!!!! :happy::hilarious:;):)

So, yea, out of all those planes, the only one I could for sure immediately identify was the old Russian Yak-9...!!!!! :hilarious::)

Rista1313

Did I mention my dad was in a motorcycle accident 4 days ago and has been in trauma ICU since? It's been a really hard week. When it rains, it pours. So I ordered my groceries to be delivered and I'm taking tomorrow off to get at least some of my life mess cleaned up.

Keep the happy thoughts and virtual hugs coming, please.

Sending good thoughts your dad's way. Sorry to hear this!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom