The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oy. Door slamming works on my last nerve. Result we never had door slammers unless it was an accident. I even put slam cushions on my kitchen and bath cabinets. Something about the sound...and often the temper that went with it all.

And @figmentfan423 might appreciate. Once when my DS wouldn't clean his room (it was nasty) no matter what timeline I gave him...an early teen I took the door to the garage. Told him he could have his door back when he cleaned his room. *TADA* Cleaned. :joyfull:
That didn't work. Taking away electronics and legos is my go to

Figgy1

Premium Member
We don't do a lot of signature restaurants a few here and there so if we are doing one we do it right. Honestly though our DME transfer luggage has come later and later over the years. Disney is going to have to accept that if they deliver the luggage guests are going to be a bit more casual on their first days. Still I am the type of person that dresses for the event, I am uncomfortable overdressed for an occasion, more uncomfortable if underdressed.
^^^This. I felt a tad both over and underdressed at Tiffins. :hilarious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I have purchased Birnbaum for decades, back to the days when Steve was still alive and Birnbaum being the only on property guide book to Disney World. So....have you noticed over the years the coupons are becoming less and less appealing overall too???
We made out well in 2016 as the coupons lined up with what we had planned. Between those, what my dh got from work and gift cards from Target we paid less than retail for everything. Best buy was a purse from the outlet that wound up over 85% off.:joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
How much was the book?

It was $19.99. Bought it at my local Barnes & Noble. Think I've been buying this book (updates yearly) for close to 20 years now--it's a tradition with me. It's sort of like a rite of spring. ;)

I've always liked the pictures and graphics--just an upbeat book. Although, most of the information can be found online, there's still a few things that will be in the book that I didn't know about. And yes, I have used multiple coupons down through the years.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Still sad lookin' across the way at our ex-Disney Store. That store had been in this mall since it opened in '95.
It was one of the old "pink and green" stores, and, boy howdy, did it have some incredible theming in it! So many figurines and sets! Hidden Mickey's that I found and hipped fellow CMs to 'cause they didn't even know they were a thing...!
So sad to think about what happened to it all... :(

Here are a coupla' images of the Store I grabbed off the interwebs...sorry, the first one is not very good quality, but, the second one has my beloved (albeit a messy one ;)) Plush Mountain in it.....

View attachment 272177
View attachment 272178

You know what's odd? A mall in my area has had Disney stores off and on (not pop-ups, actual stores) through the years. Then, they were gone. Just noticed a few months ago that another store was in the mall. What the heck? o_O

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I have purchased Birnbaum for decades, back to the days when Steve was still alive and Birnbaum being the only on property guide book to Disney World. So....have you noticed over the years the coupons are becoming less and less appealing overall too???

I actually thought the 2018 version had more coupons than usual.

Found it interesting about the (one per coupon) free kid's meal (with purchase of adult meal) for Wolfgang Puck's Express (Marketplace). The reason is that WP's really suffered when Disney Springs opened, because the busloads of people got off at the new bus stop (only one now) way down in the back part of the Springs area. Apparently, not enough guests were wandering up to the older Marketplace (they'd sort of stop at WOD, and then go back). So the new coupon for WP is a real incentive to get a family up to WP, to boost their sagging sales.

On the other hand, adults don't get a coupon anymore for their meal, as in past versions of the book. :(

MySmallWorldof4

Still sad lookin' across the way at our ex-Disney Store. That store had been in this mall since it opened in '95.
It was one of the old "pink and green" stores, and, boy howdy, did it have some incredible theming in it! So many figurines and sets! Hidden Mickey's that I found and hipped fellow CMs to 'cause they didn't even know they were a thing...!
So sad to think about what happened to it all... :(

Here are a coupla' images of the Store I grabbed off the interwebs...sorry, the first one is not very good quality, but, the second one has my beloved (albeit a messy one ;)) Plush Mountain in it.....

View attachment 272177
View attachment 272178
I loved the plush mountain, and the tv that played Disney movies. Was there a special smell in the stores also? I just remember getting a feeling of "ahhhhhhh" (as in I am home) when I would walk in there. So sad. But, you are the BEST clothing store closer! 2 suits and more in a few hours. Awesome!:)

MySmallWorldof4

Gaston's is almost like a Kiosk with indoor ordering and a teeny tiny bit of seating. Nothing beyond the cinnamon roll seems to stay and their signature beverage. They have an ever rotating menu. Its signature was the beef shank originally and was a gluten free. They moved onto Beef Stew that was gluten free and it was really good. Now with warmer weather they moved onto sandwiches. Most Grab and Go. In that immediate area there are so many kiosks from Friar Nook, Story Book and Cheshire Cat along with Pinocchio BOG and Cosmic for QS meals. Lots to fill the needs of everyone in Fantasyland.

As a family when we were picking out tasty things from QS to Kiosks we often picked different snacks or QS. Given all the outside seating in Fantasyland and the new FLE it is only a few steps to get everyone what they want. We use to do that with the little market in Liberty Square and sit on a wall or those park benches of yesteryear. My days of eating on a wall are long gone though. I want A/C and a table with chairs. Likely why I do more desserts and beverages at F&W and F&G in Epcot. So past eating steak out of a paper bowl with a plastic knife and fork in the heat and humidity.
Friar Nook took away the mac and cheese and now has loaded tater tots.

MySmallWorldof4

I actually thought the 2018 version had more coupons than usual.

Found it interesting about the (one per coupon) free kid's meal (with purchase of adult meal) for Wolfgang Puck's Express (Marketplace). The reason is that WP's really suffered when Disney Springs opened, because the busloads of people got off at the new bus stop (only one now) way down in the back part of the Springs area. Apparently, not enough guests were wandering up to the older Marketplace (they'd sort of stop at WOD, and then go back). So the new coupon for WP is a real incentive to get a family up to WP, to boost their sagging sales.

On the other hand, adults don't get a coupon anymore for their meal, as in past versions of the book. :(
WP in the Marketplace is the best of all of them in DS. They have the widest menu and the food never disappointed. There are so many other offerings now though that I guess they can be hurting. My girls liked to go into Little Mismatched. We bought them some things from that store the last couple of years. I know they will be upset to see that it will no longer be there across from WP. It was so inexpensive as well and had some really cute items. There was a lady who worked there that I thought of when I heard they were closing. She had been there for a couple of years. She spoke with us as the girls were trying things on. She mentioned how she ended up in the area, spoke about her dearly departed husband, etc. I felt really bad for her when I heard they were closing. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom