The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I am mean and made my kids choose one thing. Of course I kind of selfishly guided them to one place, so that I am only driving them to classes at one place which is thankfully indoors. Makes my life easier especially since it is mostly me driving them around.

My community has the largest swim and dive team in the county. The common bond with this club is with parents that all of their kids are competing in the same time frame, one destination, both of us could be in the same place at the same time with our kids and it something the parents of our team loved. My kids did do Baseball and and softball for awhile as it was almost over by the time swim meets started. It was always he'd take one I'd take the other, divide to concur the schedules. Parenting isn't easy, worse when one parent must travel.

Cesar R M

A freak fail or a design failure that others will have to take a look at.
The photos show the ducts fell intact. Which makes me wonder if it was the retention system that failed (

Example of a "U" type retention bracket holding the duct in place with wires and or metal frames.

Untitled-5-151c9c74.jpg

And heres semi round ones with what seems to be "metal wire" retention..

ylV5c8m.jpg

So I think one of these failed. Hence why my prior post mentioned the probability that someone from maintenance (or the lack of it) caused it to fail. sending the full ducts free falling in pieces.

Gabe1

The photos show the ducts fell intact. Which makes me wonder if it was the retention system that failed (

Example of a "U" type retention bracket holding the duct in place with wires and or metal frames.

Untitled-5-151c9c74.jpg

And heres semi round ones with what seems to be "metal wire" retention..

ylV5c8m.jpg

So I think one of these failed. Hence why my prior post mentioned the probability that someone from maintenance (or the lack of it) caused it to fail. sending the full ducts free falling in pieces.

I understand but I don't believe these are the type that fell into the pool.

I'm not sure. It looks like you are visualizing steel ductwork. I could be wrong but it appears from the photos I've seen the tubing that is used looks similar to our indoor facilities for air quality purposes that are not generally metal shy of a few spots, to me anyhow the photos of the "fallen portions" seem to be very different and don't seem to be what you are visualizing. Those seem to be heating and cooling vents similar to our big box stores over pool ventilation. I am open to being wrong I'm just going by what I'm accustomed to seeing.
DYG0CPXWsAIlRTP.jpg

I'll let you know as my kids will be following the investigation, hopefully the details will be become public.

Cesar R M

I understand but I don't believe these are the type that fell into the pool.

I'm not sure. It looks like you are visualizing steel ductwork. I could be wrong but it appears from the photos I've seen the tubing that is used looks similar to our indoor facilities for air quality purposes that are not generally metal shy of a few spots, to me anyhow the photos of the "fallen portions" seem to be very different and don't seem to be what you are visualizing. Those seem to be heating and cooling vents similar to our big box stores over pool ventilation. I am open to being wrong I'm just going by what I'm accustomed to seeing.
DYG0CPXWsAIlRTP.jpg

I'll let you know as my kids will be following the investigation, hopefully the details will be become public.
Regardless of what the material are in the ducts.. they still need a retention system to maintain their position.

If you see the background (top right of the photo). There are ducts there, and they have round "V" shape retention wires, probably metal.

I googled air ducts for pools, and even the inflatable ones (using plastic type fabrics) still do need retention, usually the round type metal ones to maintain the shape.

Gabe1

Regardless of what the material are in the ducts.. they still need a retention system to maintain their position.

If you see the background (top right of the photo). There are ducts there, and they have round "V" shape retention wires, probably metal.

I googled air ducts for pools, and even the inflatable ones (using plastic type fabrics) still do need retention, usually the round type metal ones to maintain the shape.

I will error in favor of your expertise. I'm only going by what my son is telling me and the aquatics centers I've been in. I am far from the expert in HVAC.

Cesar R M

And according to this 12 year old boy who was hit by the duct, the support"clips" broke, like @Cesar R M had mentioned

http://fox8.com/2018/03/12/12-year-old-boy-tells-recounts-being-hit-by-falling-kalahari-air-duct/
ymjuB7b.gif

I may not be an expert in "air ducts' but their way they are installed is extremely similar to energy cables and network cables. (the ceiling support beams and "tracks")

*edit*

this photo shows EXACTLY how the retention cables failed.. One of each side failed and ruptured from the ceiling. Causing the duct to break in its weakest spot and fall.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Well, eat your hearts out -- so far, we've had 16 inches of snow :inlove: and it's still coming down! This has been a long duration storm and was upgraded to blizzard this morning. Went out twice today to shovel and it still looks like I did nothing, because the snow just keeps coming! :p

I'll be out very early tomorrow morning again to do the front steps for a third time. Will be taking a very early bus (whatever shows up) to work.

Had fun today--a real snow day--just like when I was a kid in school!! :joyfull::joyfull:
I hope you have today off. Stay safe

MinnieM123

Premium Member
About 2 pages behind here, but I gotta run--and find any bus that I can this morning to get to work! Shovelled the front steps again at 4:00 this morning----maybe another 3-4 inches of snow overnight. Think my area got 18 inches, but with the drifts I've shovelled over 2 feet in places (yesterday).

Catch up with you all later! I'm off to find my buddy, Olaf . . . :joyfull: :joyfull:

Figgy1

Premium Member
About 2 pages behind here, but I gotta run--and find any bus that I can this morning to get to work! Shovelled the front steps again at 4:00 this morning----maybe another 3-4 inches of snow overnight. Think my area got 18 inches, but with the drifts I've shovelled over 2 feet in places (yesterday).

Catch up with you all later! I'm off to find my buddy, Olaf . . . :joyfull::joyfull:
Safe travels

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Catch up with you all later! I'm off to find my buddy, Olaf . . . :joyfull::joyfull:
<Jealous>

FutureCEO

we got less snow than they thought :(. But we still got around 14 inches. Some places got 9 (airport) and others got in the low 20's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom