The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

93boomer

Premium Member
Hey everyone........

So.......my doctor has been insisting that I have a colonoscopy for like a year, and the inevitable has finally arrived. I have to have the procedure a week from tomorrow (March 9).

I'm totally freaking out and could use some reassurance that (hopefully) it's not that bad from people who have had it done.

I hear the prep where you have to fast for 24 hours is worse than the procedure.

Any comments are welcome, although I don't know why I have to do this anyway. All they are going to find in there is vodka. ;)
It is not as bad as you are imagining Buddy. I dreaded mine and it was nothing. Just cut down on the heavy foods a few days before and you won’t be in the bathroom forever the night before after drinking your meds. There are some diets online that you can search for to start a few days before to make you more comfortable. Good luck! You got this👍🏻

93boomer

Premium Member
I have a hard time finding pants that are long enough as well. When I was pregnant I had to order maternity pants from the UK because they didn't make them long enough anywhere here. I have a 35" inseam (36-37" if I'm wearing heels), and most American companies consider 31" to be a "tall" length :cautious::cautious:
I’m 5’2” and petite so pants are extremely long for me. And I don’t see paying $58 for a pair of jeans and having to cut half of the legs off. Luckily, I have found some at Old Navy that fit perfectly. 😁

Goofyernmost

Hey everyone........

So.......my doctor has been insisting that I have a colonoscopy for like a year, and the inevitable has finally arrived. I have to have the procedure a week from tomorrow (March 9).

I'm totally freaking out and could use some reassurance that (hopefully) it's not that bad from people who have had it done.

I hear the prep where you have to fast for 24 hours is worse than the procedure.

Any comments are welcome, although I don't know why I have to do this anyway. All they are going to find in there is vodka. ;)
What you heard is correct. The prep is far worse then the actual procedure. That fasting thing is tough to deal with and drinking the other junk is not picnic either. However, the fact that Vodka is clear might put it in the can do list. I'd check with the doctor first. I've had four and I stay awake during the procedure and watch it on the monitor. I just wanted to prove to myself that I am good looking inside and out.

The same day that you are doing that I am headed for yet another consult with the Doctors about my Prostate Cancer. So far so good on that front, no real movement or growth so we can both hope for positive results.
Very but there should not be tax on shoes. Not a political statement just sayin. Shoes are as important as air or water!
I would think that you could live a long life without shoes, but, going without air and water might be a bit of a challenge. Look at you though, you manage to stay alive without actually eating real food.;)

Goofyernmost

Whats baffling is that so many managed to keep their jobs and not get punishment and the top church leaders (both in Mexico and the USA) who were protecting them actively.. refused to sit down and are pretty much free thanks to political influence.
The use of the word church leaders is the proper one. The recent events in this country alone make it pretty clear that the term "religious leaders" is an oxymoron.

MouseDreaming

It is improving today thanks. Weird flu type indicators but none of them full blown. Weird. Betting there was a low grade fever and why I was feeling off and oogie.

And on that note: Anyone have any specific recommendations on the new fangled thermometers? I went and started reading reviews and it made my head hurt more. :facepalm: Bring back the days of glass and mercury. :p
I just grab them when I am at Target, usually. I think the last one was Vicks brand. Nice big digital numbers. Oh, and grab the extra probe covers. They are cheap, but the thermometer only comes with a couple.

MouseDreaming

She looks like a little doll, so dang cute. :inlove: I would have never guessed Maltese or Yorkie and they generally have miniature bone structures and very narrow torsos and chests. That why I was thinking more Westie or Cairn because of the body structure and coloring. Does she like her new hairdo?
I think she is pretty happy to not have all of the mats anymore. Today she is feeling off. She is being quiet. I think she might be reacting to the Heartguard. Ate like a champ, though. I will be keeping an eye on her today, and letting her rest.

MouseDreaming

OK, I have a serious question, and am not trying to be a smart***, or be judgemental in any way. But, what is the ultimate goal of all of this for your child?
There is a very popular local radio talk show host here. He and I played on rival HS soccer teams back in the day (incidentally, DWifey did a temp fill-in job at the radio station a few months back for one day, and he remembered me, but remembered my next younger bro better 'cause they graduated the same year). Anyway, he ended up being a very successful field goal kicker for the Universty of Texas for all 4 years of college. He then went on to try out for the Dallas Cowboys, and was let go personally by Tom Landry himself (younger folks, Google 😉). After the Houston Oiler kicker back in the day (can't remember his name) got blown up on a kick and his leg was destroyed, they called him and 3 other guys in for tryouts. They gave him the contract to be the kicker as he was leaving the facility. He was elated. Unfortunately, by the time he woke up the next morning, the NFL strike had started, and his contract was torn up...all that money gone. He was never offered another NFL contract again...his window had closed.
He was smart enough to get his degree in marketing while at UT and is also a marketing professor there part time. He has talked many times about the percentages of kids that start out in any sport, move on to the next stage even smaller, then the next even way smaller, etc. But, that is where it usually stops for most, as the odds become infinitesimally smaller as the level increases. Just think about all the great college football players that went on to the NFL and couldn't hack it. It's a WHOLE different game in the big leagues.
Not remotely, remotely, remotely, remotely, close to every child is going to be a sports hero, no matter how many sports a parent puts them in and how hard they push them. It just ain't happenin'.
Again, I'm just curious as to the motivation for all of that vs. picking just one sport or activity and focusing more on academic endeavors, as a more realistic backup.
Again, no judgement, just a serious inquirey.
I will understand if you choose to pass.
In my experience, sports becomes a way into college. Academic scholarships are few and far between, especially at state colleges. And it seems, a lot of families haven't really saved any money for the kids college fund. So for many families here, it seems sports scholarship, or community college. The high school doesn't help with that story. You should see the signing day news spreads my district puts out. Care to guess how many news items are about the academic scholarships, or the few in a very large district that get a full ride because of their academic accomplishments? That would be zero.

And you know what the kid has to do to qualify to play in that sport/activity? In a lot of sports, if you didn't start by the time you were in kindergarten, you missed the window. If it is something that just recently became popular, or they don't start until later, like lacrosse or volleyball, then you are paying thousands of dollars in off season to get your kid more experience, training,whatever. It is a small investment, though on the parents part, since the parent seems to know that their kid will get the full ride scholarship for college. Do they think the kid will do it professionally? Probably not. Do they think it will get their kid into a good school, and allow all parties to be debt free at the end of it? Yes.

MouseDreaming

Hey everyone........

Yeah, DH did that not long ago, and that was the worst part of it. Friends have told me lots of reading material, one moved a tv, so they could zone out with a movie, one told me by the time the procedure was over, she was ready to remodel her bathroom.

Hope it goes well!

Songbird76

So question for the non-Americans in the group.... My friend was having a particularly rough day with her kid who was a whining mess, so i googled why kids whine. The below articles and others suggested that small children whining is largely an American problem because we raise our kids very differently from the rest of the world. Cliff notes: we build our lives around our kids and strive to give them opportunities we didn't have while the rest of the world expects children to fall in line with every day life that isn't catered to them and their personality.

So my question is.... Do kids in other countries really not whine?!?!

https://ifstudies.org/blog/why-are-american-parents-so-unhappy-a-theory
I'm calling BS. Over here, from what I've seen of most Dutch parents, they are not as....helicopter-y? as American parents are. For example, I read an article about a mom in the US who was having to fight in courts because she let her 7 year old kid play at the playground by himself. A neighbor saw him, went to the mom and asked if she knew where her kid was. When the mother said "Yes, he's at the playground, I can see him from here..." the woman called CPS because she didn't think the kid was old enough to be unsupervised. This wouldn't happen here. People don't necessarily cater to their kids, but I've seen a LOT of whiners because the kids are used to having the freedom to do what they want. A lot of parents don't tell their kids not to climb up on something high, or that they can't wear their rollerskates in the grocery store...or to not swing around a huge tree branch where they might hit other people. They allow their kids to go where they want to go, do what they want to do, and the idea is they will learn from their mistakes....they fall out of the tree....they'll either get better at climbing or learn not to climb. Just last week, there was a woman with her 4 or 5 year old kid, he's whining at her that he "wants to go play with his friend!!!" over and over...."I want to go play with ----!! Let me go play with -----" And when DD was younger, there was a neighbor girl who wanted to come in and play and I told her she needed to ask her mom....she pulls out a cell phone "No, I'm allowed to go where I want as long as I have my phone so my mom can call me to tell me when to come home." And she proceeded to whine that I wouldn't give her any candy. We may parent differently, but I can assure you that whining is not exclusive to American children. And I've worked really hard to give my kids opportunities that I didn't have, but my DD is definitely not a whiner, and with DS, it's not so much whining as meltdowns, not because he's used to getting his way, but because something didn't go the way he thought it would and it freaks him out. Children whine because it works with their parents....they whine, the parents give them what they want. It doesn't matter where you live...kids do what works for them.

Songbird76

I think you came very close to what I was aiming at. You are in a very different situation there then you were accustomed to back in the states. In the summer I bike on purpose, I love it. I have a truck so I have options but still if weather permits I'll take my bike. I love Disney cause I'm bopping all over the place. I get enough down time on the buses. I admire those who can cruise, relax, sit by a pool get off the ship a few hours and eat glorious food around the clock. When I was trapped at WL day 2 I cant tell you how many times we lapped the resort. I'm too antsy for sitting and relaxing. If I have free time I'm not sitting unless it is late in the evening or weather has me trapped.
Right, but my point is that, when I was growing up, I was always encouraged to keep active, to do sports, to play outside and ride my bike and walk everywhere....so I was conditioned for that, and yet, I would much rather sit and read a book now that I have the choice. I wasn't conditioned to be lazy, but I have NO problem just hanging out. The reason I am more active on vacation is not about an inability to sit and relax (one of my favorite pastimes), but rather that I love to learn about other people and cultures and history, and the places I go on vacation usually offer a lot of opportunity for that, but only if you go looking for it. You won't learn about the culture of people in Spain by spending the entire time sunbathing on the beach. You won't learn the history behind a church or a castle by sitting by the pool at your hotel. I was fascinated by all the history @Cesar R M shared with us after his vacation, and I'd love to learn more. I'd love to experience those things for myself. But vacation is a couple of weeks and then I am back at home where I love to sit on the couch and read a book, or watch The Voice Kids. I'm not antsy at all. My lifestyle REQUIRES me to be more active, but it's not a result of how I was conditioned...it's just a necessity. When given the opportunity, I can absolutely be lazy and do nothing and relish in that nothing-ness.

21stamps

Maybe not, but sure it is pushed a lot in movies and series.
as for "prominent" as in bigger concentrations compared to other groups.
Just like the church pedophilia cases have higher concentrations than compared to school, at least in reported cases. Still lower than.. let's say, hollywood's dark side.

No, I'm talking when your entire life revolves in your son/daughter fulfill the goal that you set for yourself.
Including even going to vengeful actions or "no friends" because they are all "competitors".
Watching march band or things like that is not harmful. I'm talking the extremes here. While the statistics might not appear big, still happen.

Are you telling me that the media, tv, parents and education groups do not want the children to have A's ? do these people say "B's are enough" ?
Because they sure as hell (in all private schools I have been, what I heard from friends in other countries, including the USA) is the "ALWAYS WIN" mentality.

As for tests, we're talking EXPECTATIONS not SAT or achievement test scores on average.
Expectations vs reality, as they are whole different animals.

Thats actually political in a way. At least in Mexico, were they acted like they did nothing wrong. Claimed immunity while moving affected priests to other congregations where the abuse continued. Paid bribes to officials.
No different from politicians trying to hush a scandal.

I recommended the movie Leap a few days ago, the mindset you’re talking about is represented in that movie.

I’ve seen it in plenty of movies, I’ve never seen it in real life.

The thing is, when you’re talking high level sports, it would be almost impossible to “force” your child to do them. Attitude is such a big part.. it’s a large factor in tryouts, and it’s a huge part of being on a team. A soccer player/gymnast/dancer/etc being able to survive on skill alone, without passion, would be extremely rare.
I’ll apply that to music, drama, and anything else that requires dedication and drive.

In school/rec sports, it’s a lot more common, especially at young ages. Yes, a lot of parents force their kids to play sports at a young age, and those kids either want to do it before signups, but change their mind once the season starts, Or- they never wanted to play at all.
It’s excruciating to have these kids on a team.. but at the same time, I understand why the parents do it. I would have probably done the same if I was them. Sometimes the kid ends up enjoying them, and most times the kid learns something important, at the very least. Sometimes, rarely, they don’t.

The situation above is the exact reason why I allowed my son to try out for a soccer club over the Fall, when my original plan was to wait til this Spring. Our SAY soccer team this year was horrible, because we had 4 kids who didn’t want to be there, who disrupted practices, and 1 cried during games constantly, and another who would just stand, and rarely move, most of the time putting his shirt over his head the entire time her was on the field. So while I understand why the parents didn’t let these kids quit on a commitment, my son and a couple of other boys were growing increasingly frustrated. They gave 100% all the time, they wanted to be there, and between practices and games the kids who didn’t want to play were hurting the kids who did. This will happen in school sports.. which is why clubs are so good.. they are a team full of kids who WANT to be there, and they are all at the same general skill level, with much better coaching and opportunities to advance their skills.
Most parents aren’t willing to spend Thousands of $$$$ per year for their kid to play a club sport/dance/gymnastics if the kid cries every day before a practice/lessons. The “you must play” parents would just spend a few hundred per year for school sports.

Next thing- I coached my son’s school indoor soccer team. We luckily didn’t have kids who did not want to be there.. we did have kids who weren’t that good, that’s fine...but all of them tried, kids improved over the season, I was so proud of each of them. That’s all I want as coach at that level of play. None of the kids were frustrated, because they watched that their teammates gave their best effort.

So again my post is super long.. but here’s what I’m trying to say-
I think what you’re seeing is Hollywood mixing these 2 scenarios, and over-exaggerating as only Hollywood can.

Does somewhere in some corner a crazy parent, forcing their child to master a sport, 7 days a week, exist? And the kid being able to be successful in that sport/dance? Probably.
Is it prevalent? Not that I’ve ever seen or heard in my life.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I'm calling BS. Over here, from what I've seen of most Dutch parents, they are not as....helicopter-y? as American parents are. For example, I read an article about a mom in the US who was having to fight in courts because she let her 7 year old kid play at the playground by himself. A neighbor saw him, went to the mom and asked if she knew where her kid was. When the mother said "Yes, he's at the playground, I can see him from here..." the woman called CPS because she didn't think the kid was old enough to be unsupervised. This wouldn't happen here. People don't necessarily cater to their kids, but I've seen a LOT of whiners because the kids are used to having the freedom to do what they want. A lot of parents don't tell their kids not to climb up on something high, or that they can't wear their rollerskates in the grocery store...or to not swing around a huge tree branch where they might hit other people. They allow their kids to go where they want to go, do what they want to do, and the idea is they will learn from their mistakes....they fall out of the tree....they'll either get better at climbing or learn not to climb. Just last week, there was a woman with her 4 or 5 year old kid, he's whining at her that he "wants to go play with his friend!!!" over and over...."I want to go play with ----!! Let me go play with -----" And when DD was younger, there was a neighbor girl who wanted to come in and play and I told her she needed to ask her mom....she pulls out a cell phone "No, I'm allowed to go where I want as long as I have my phone so my mom can call me to tell me when to come home." And she proceeded to whine that I wouldn't give her any candy. We may parent differently, but I can assure you that whining is not exclusive to American children. And I've worked really hard to give my kids opportunities that I didn't have, but my DD is definitely not a whiner, and with DS, it's not so much whining as meltdowns, not because he's used to getting his way, but because something didn't go the way he thought it would and it freaks him out. Children whine because it works with their parents....they whine, the parents give them what they want. It doesn't matter where you live...kids do what works for them.

Thank you for the response!! :inlove::inlove:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom