The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
One of the first things hubby and I talked about was how the dessert party location and other places like the California Grill wouldn't be good spots to watch anymore. Which even though I liked the new show, will be a shame. It was nice to watch Wishes from the back of Fantasyland and other locations and not feel like I was missing out on anything by not seeing the front of the castle. Who knows, maybe in a few years they will bring Wishes back as a special return.

Seems to me Disney is trying to streamline their night events and consolidate them. Rather than have the hub clogged for a projection, a parade and fireworks the axed a nigh time parade, and consolidated the other two, plus projection is so much cheaper than fireworks. Wonder if a night parade will ever return to the MK or the Studios or AK. The parade at Epcot was what under 2 years?

Gabe1

That's good that you are relieved with the diagnosis, knowing what is going on and how it can be treated would be a relief. Hopefully he can now get the right help.

I agree. Hope getting the 'right' help comes for him. My own feeling is too much has been pigeoned into the giant Autism cauldron. So many different issues and all falling under the same banner. So many of these kids are beyond brilliant with such high IQs. My friends son, now 25 has Asperger and really zones into his own little world. He and his twin both got perfect scores on their SAT. They are identical twins. Begs to wonder what the underlining issue was. Both beyond intelligent. Both shared Moms tummy, exposed to the same things, same vaccinations. My fear is Autism banner Spectrum is getting so large that it is a catch all and in some cases students not getting what they need because of falling under the banner. (Much like asthma became) I had that same kinda thing with my DD, was non-verbal but gifted. Her salvation was Easter Seals not our school system.

Gabe1

Oh how scary!! Fortunately for me, my kids never wandered too far. There has been only one time that DS went to play on a ramp in the store and couldn't see us anymore and almost left the store when a very attentive cashier asked him where his parents were and he said he didn't know and she called for us. So we had the talk again about not leaving the store, but asking either someone who works there, or another mother with children for help. And DD lost her way at a small amusement park once...couldn't remember where our table was. It's a really small one meant for preschool and elementary aged kids and if you are sitting at a table in the middle, you can see the whole park, so they can't really get TOO lost. She remembered what to do and asked another mom for help and that mom took her to the front desk to have us paged and then waited with her until I got there. She was 9 at the time, so not REAL small or she wouldn't have been by herself. But man, I've seen some REALLY little ones at those indoor play areas where a 2 year old is by themselves and can't remember where mommy is sitting. We've brought our share of crying little ones to a customer service desk to ask them to page parents. It amazes me with the super small ones because we didn't let our kids play alone until they were about 6...I freaked out if I couldn't see them for 2 seconds. But in stores and such, kids are good at wandering off. Mommy is looking at something and the kid gets bored and wanders off in search of something more interesting, and they are FAST. I'm glad it was a happy ending!! Kudos to the employees who closed the doors, etc...I wonder how often that happens...if it was pretty routine for them, or if it was just good training.

No idea of how often it happens but I always get that same awful feeling in the pit of my gut. At least this time I knew he was found but he got so far. The family was in the portrait center which is as far as you can be from the the mall hallways. It abuts the parking lot. I can't imagine how he mazed that quickly throughout the store to reach the mall. If I had to guess he walked out the door to the parking lot, likely got spooked and walked into the next set of doors that lead right into the mall at the farthest end. That is more my logical guess as to what he did cause the outside door is right there and if he continued on sidewalk the first thing he would come up to was a Mall vs Store entrance. He was gone a long time but that doesn't mean he was really on his own all that time either by the time possibly that JCP, Police and Mall Security all got their collective found child vs CODE ADAMS together. Just so happy it had a happy ending.

My DD said maybe two per year at their waterpark. Missing kids are looked for the same way and the guards usually find them pretty fast if the parents can tell the guards what their swim suit looks like. Amazingly not all can. Me at places like Disney I always took a picture of my kids before we left the room each morning. Done.

donaldtoo

That sounds crazy!! Stairs and doorways are a pain with ANY move. We wanted to rearrange DS's room and had to dismantle the bed because there was no way in which we could turn it or get it through the doorway. I remember when I was in junior high and I was walking with a couple of friends of mine. We saw an elderly man trying to move furniture by himself into a duplex...there was NO way he could do it himself, but he had no one to help him. We went and offered to help him and he was skeptical at first...why were 3 teenaged girls wanting to help him move his stuff? What was in it for us...we just thought it was the right thing to do. We tried to refuse money, but he insisted on giving us each a dollar to buy an ice cream cone. (so sweet!!!) Anyway, we didn't even have to move anything up any stairs, but maneuvering his cabinet through the doorway was such a pain!! I can't imagine having a time crunch for weather!!!

So sweet of y'all to help that gentleman!!! :)

Yep, we were already pretty much wiped out, and decided it was best to take it slow and easy with the rest of the load, and then I saw what was movin' in. We definitely moved faster after that realization, and we're pretty exhausted afterwards.
I remember quoting Sgt. Murtaugh (Danny Glover's character from Lethal Weapon) afterwards...!!! :hilarious: ;) :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
So we had our meeting about DS's results and advice today. He does NOT have autism, which is surprising as I thought for sure that would be the diagnosis. But, basically, his verbal IQ is really high, in the gifted range. But in application , he's below average range. So while he comes across as being very intelligent and he does have the knowledge in there, he can't apply it to real life situations. So in school, the teacher gives an assignment, or explains a concept, and he understands it completely. But then when he has to actually USE that knowledge, he gets stuck. Because he thinks he SHOULD be able to do everything easily, he panics when it doesn't work that way. He understands everything, so he expects it to be simple, and freaks out when it isn't. Same thing with his social skills...he can't apply the knowledge. Cognitively, he knows how to play soccer and wants to play with the kids at recess. But he doesn't know HOW to go about doing that. He doesn't know how to interact. And that clash is giving him anxiety. So they are going to apply to the city again for the funding to give him behavioral therapy. The good news is that it's not so severe that they can actually diagnose him as having a disorder. So he needs help, but it's something that can be learned and managed. I'm pretty relieved. I guess he got really upset during the part of the IQ test where you have to put something together without instructions or without a picture? It was hard for him and he explained to the gal that it "should be easy" and so it upset him that he couldn't do it really easily and quickly. He thought he SHOULD be able to.
I hope he gets all the support he needs and the school will finally put an end to the bullying.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks! It was an awesome day. Ended with
Uncle Julios.
C_1DvoJW0AAspOt.jpg

had a second one in honor of @betty rose
C_1Dj3aXoAE9BWo.jpg

C_6d5byXgAAULhh.jpg

C_6dwLkXUAEtrSs.jpg
I need to be adopted:hilarious::hungry:

93boomer

Premium Member
Hi gang!! Busy, busy, busy here. Getting things done before our trip in 4 days!!! The weather is getting us ready for FL. Our temps may reach 90 tomorrow! :eek: That is July temps for us!
DD got back from a business trip with a really bad cough. It had gotten better since her flu last month. She went to the dtr and --pneumonia!! :oops: So she is home for three days. Hoping the meds knock it out of her. She doesn't feel bad. The coughing is wearing her out though. Fun....

BAChicagoGal

Tuesday has become my laundry day for years, and years now. It used to be Monday, until Monday always ended up being the day to tie up loose ends from the weekend. Yesterday was one of those Mondays. So many issues needed resolving. Having Medicare Insurance has been great for the prescription coverage, but for some unknown reason they have been denying my other medical claims. I finally figured that out, and had to call Aetna and tell them I only have one insurance. Haven't had Blue Cross since January First. Not sure how they got that information. Hopefully it will get straightened out. The lady I spoke to on the phone was very nice.

It's a good thing my husband is still working, because finances are pretty tight. Having Social Security pays all the bills, but not much else. I don't know how some people manage. Of course it didn't help that we had to buy a new car.

Happy Tuesday.

Songbird76

I agree. Hope getting the 'right' help comes for him. My own feeling is too much has been pigeoned into the giant Autism cauldron. So many different issues and all falling under the same banner. So many of these kids are beyond brilliant with such high IQs. My friends son, now 25 has Asperger and really zones into his own little world. He and his twin both got perfect scores on their SAT. They are identical twins. Begs to wonder what the underlining issue was. Both beyond intelligent. Both shared Moms tummy, exposed to the same things, same vaccinations. My fear is Autism banner Spectrum is getting so large that it is a catch all and in some cases students not getting what they need because of falling under the banner. (Much like asthma became) I had that same kinda thing with my DD, was non-verbal but gifted. Her salvation was Easter Seals not our school system.
Well, I look at it as really good news that he's NOT labeled with Autism. Just gifted, with a significant gap between the cognitive and application sides. We knew he was intelligent, and they say that often comes with autism, but it was more his need for routine and lack of social skills that made us think autism. It's nice to know it's NOT that, and he can be TAUGHT to use the knowledge he has. Right now it just kind of gets stuck....in the moment where he needs to access the knowledge to apply it, he panics and doesn't know where to start. So we have to teach him how to break the steps down and put them in order, to come up with a plan to complete whatever action is required. I agree that I think a lot of kids are labeled with autism when doctors don't know what else to diagnose them with...it's like the catch-all for kids who are awkward. What really struck me is that they wanted to test him for ADHD, Autism, and Anxiety because the surveys we filled out flagged all of those as possibilities. WE asked for an IQ test and the gal said "Well, we really aren't that interested in what his IQ is, but I suppose we can do a test so we can see how he handles difficult tasks, how he reacts to success and to failure....we can get more about how his brain works from the IQ test, so sure." So that was something that we initiated and it ended up being the test that gave the most information about what was wrong. And the girl who administered the test said he got really upset with one section because he told her "It should be really easy. I should be able to do this" and was completely frustrated because he couldn't. And it was a puzzle thing where he needed to break it down into steps to solve it...that's exactly what his problem is. His math score was REALLY high...that's his favorite and he is really good at that. But give him something where he has to form his own step by step plan, he doesn't know where to begin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom