The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

And I thought I was warm today with 56! I wore a sweatshirt on my walk and I thought I would melt!;):)

Yea, my t-shirt and cap were a bit soaked when I was done. :cyclops:
It would have been a bit more pleasant at 56, but, then again, we're used to it, and I'll take it any day over ice or snow. ;)
The lakes are still pretty full because the drought has been over for a coupla' years, but, this summer seems to be settin' up as a possible scorcher. Hopefully, just no more 112 degree temps...! ;) :)

donaldtoo

Not really. If you was speaking the older version you woulds be speaking German.

Yes, I'm not gonna' do the research now, but, I thought I always heard the current Royal family lineage goes way back to German.
Which, for a long time, I always thought would be more related to French 'cause of William the Conqeuror.
Such is the origin I have read in Walt Disney biographies. His original family name can be traced back to the time of William the Conqeuror as d'Isigny. :)

Cesar R M

Well, that was fun... :cyclops:
It got up to only 91 here today.
Not sure what the heat index was then, but, it's 89 right now with a heat index of 94.
Luckily, there was a stiff breeze, and the vast majority of our yard is tree-shaded...! :)
breeze is always welcome. reminds me how yesterday there was a country wide warning about a heat wave.. with average temps 40C.

We were at 38C here, but with nice wind!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I can see pros and cons to the above. Since this has started in schools for a number of years now, there is no turning back. We're living more and more in an electronic world, and it's good that students are comfortable with this medium, in every aspect of their daily routines.

On the cons side, if I forgot a book at school--guess whose parents would make me march right back down to the school, and get it? And removing the need for folders, paper, pens, etc., are just more things that we had to be mindful of, and were responsible for, keeping with our school books. And, my siblings and I had book bags and would lug them to and from school (we walked). Nothing wrong with exercise on a daily commute.

In other words, there were other "types" of life lessons taught in the older school systems that might slip through the cracks now. (Cue: "The Karate Kid" -- "wax on, wax off" . . .)

Just some random thoughts . . .

But things have changed so much since we were in school. Laws changed for copy writing. Teachers could not just copy a workbook sheet anymore and half or more text books came home with my kids.

Me I have a real pet peeve with teachers sending young kids home with so many text books in our district though I don't know what they were really to do about it. They too were ham-stringed. My DD was in 3rd grade, a mere 43 pounds. She was off to her bus stop walking down our front stair case and tipped over sideways due to the weight of the backpack when it shifted on her. Rolled and broke her foot. Her back pack was 25 pounds!!!! (I weighed it when she broke it) as I watched her tip sideways trying to walk down our staircase with that strapped to her back. And they must negotiate a bus up and down those stairs that are also not designed for munchkins carry more than half their body weight.

It is more a safety issue with so much weight strapped to their backs and not good for their growing bones and backs. If we think of ourselves daily walking with more than half our own body weight strapped to our backs every day we would be far more compassionate to young children. If we look at students and what they carry and how plump those backpacks are maybe our leaders would be more considerate for funding tablets as a solution to the changing educational theories. My daughter was in a wheelchair for 2 months in a full length cast and on a disability bus. Sometime it takes things like this to make some champions for changes in our educational system whether we are urban or rural school districts as it is an equal issue. Funding for such things shouldn't be by demographics. All kids should be protected.

Rant over. :)

Gabe1

With all this conversation about reading and books, it reminds me of a conversation I had with my mom before she met my husband. Mom was an avid reader and luckily she shared her love of books with me. My father is not a reader (nor is my sister), he will read the occasional western. Anyway, she was asking me about what Brad (now hubby) liked to do and when I said that he loved to read she was tickled! She thought it was wonderful and even commented that because we were both readers we would always have something new to share with each other and talk about. It was one of her favorite traits about him. Actually, hubby and I were such reading nerd that sometimes when we were dating we would just hang out in my apartment and read our books next to each other. I know we are geeks! Sorry for the ramble down memory lane....:bookworm:

Good memories. I can't remember you speaking of either your or your hubs folks in the past. Are they all 'still with us'??? I hear you speak of your siblings.

Gabe1

Ha! Well, I'm not sure about any talent for being an explorer or inventor. But as a kid, I did have a tendency to get bored easily, and figured out that going outside and playing was always a welcome diversion! :p

My Mom tried to keep us busy especially during the summers but even playing with friends and all I can remember too being bored but still loving summer vacation without school. We did go and play but it was redundant.

My kids were very involved in various things and I had to actually scale back when I could see they were genuinely over-scheduled. I watched some families my kids were close to were beyond nuts without any downtime. I also watch the opposite with my neighbor with 5 boys in under 8 years who has their kids in nothing outside of schools things bored beyond their wits. They are fond of beating each other up and getting into trouble around the home. I called the Dad on his cell one day as I watched the youngest, twins filling the Dads Camero up with the garden hose through the exhaust pipe.
Wonder what they were really thinking. Not likely destroying the car, they were not old enough to realize that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom