The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MOXOMUMD

The school I teach in is not air conditioned, at the start and end of the school year there are days in which our rooms are almost unbearable. I'm sure we have had high indexes. But we have to suffer through....:(
Our schools don't have A/C either. The only room in my daughter's building is the principal's office because he installs his own at the beginning of the year and it is also the nurses area. The windows are opened and the teachers bring their own fans. (My mom taught for 38 years and I remember her taking in the box fans for her classroom then during the summer we got to put them in our rooms at home.) Our students are also told to bring in refillable water bottles during warm months. I'm more glad they have excellent heating in winter than the few weeks they need a/c.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
You actually remember what you weighed on your 18th birthday?! :jawdrop: I honestly don't have a clue what I weighed! :p

From the time I stopped growing in middle school until I hit 40 years old I always weighed 98#. The only exception was while I was pregnant and gained 40# for each of them but it peeled off on its own within 6 weeks and my DS was 9# at birth so lots of it was baby. But 40 was a strange era for me, I gained 10# and at the same time I started to see other age related things start to happen like needing reading glasses and the need to wear better shoes with more support etc. Since my weight didn't fluctuate I always remembered what I weighed.

Gabe1

Our schools don't have A/C either. The only room in my daughter's building is the principal's office because he installs his own at the beginning of the year and it is also the nurses area. The windows are opened and the teachers bring their own fans. (My mom taught for 38 years and I remember her taking in the box fans for her classroom then during the summer we got to put them in our rooms at home.) Our students are also told to bring in refillable water bottles during warm months. I'm more glad they have excellent heating in winter than the few weeks they need a/c.

No matter where I attended school we didn't have A/C back in the dino days. Even at the major university my DD attended the vast majority of dorms did not have A/C. My DD because of her health issues paid more to be in the all girls dorm that had A/C but lacked other amenities that more dorms had. It was quite a bit more expensive considering A/C was needed maybe a month in the fall and a few weeks possibly in the first weeks of May very different than schools in the South. My sons dorm in Wisconsin didn't have A/C and the one that did was new and almost double in price.

Gabe1

Just read up in the WDW Hotels and Resorts forum that the Poly bungalows are experiencing air conditioning issues . . . :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be happy. I'd be transferring resorts.

Coronado was a weird resort to stay in A/C wise. They pioneered that energy efficient A/C units. First they installed climate control that I believe only cooled rooms to mid 70's. Worse they had a motion sensor that the A/C would shut off if there was not movement in room. The theory was while guests were at the park the rooms would not be cooled unnecessarily. But with Florida heat those rooms became miserable to return to and took some time to cool back down. But what wasn't foreseen was if you went to sleep there was not movement so it would shut off and guests would wake during the night so freak'n hot.

Over the years found on the internet was tips for those staying at Coronado. It taught you how to mess with the temp control to lower the preset temp. The next tip was to purchase a balloon or two and tie it down near the A/C unit. The breeze from the A/C unit kept the balloon moving which was 'movement' for the A/C units motion sensors.

Gabe1

So this was made by my mom and I yesterday. They came out good...not as tall and wider than Disney's. And not enough custard in the middle. But the recipes that is on the Food Blog and other places is very lacking in directions and ingredient amounts.

14040018_642918332541088_7300885080015839239_n.jpg

Pretty. But silly me, I have to ask what they are?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I usually bring in a fan too. I ran into the janitor last week and he told me that he his a fan in my room so I would have one for when school starts. He is the best!

Cesar R M

Coronado was a weird resort to stay in A/C wise. They pioneered that energy efficient A/C units. First they installed climate control that I believe only cooled rooms to mid 70's. Worse they had a motion sensor that the A/C would shut off if there was not movement in room. The theory was while guests were at the park the rooms would not be cooled unnecessarily. But with Florida heat those rooms became miserable to return to and took some time to cool back down. But what wasn't foreseen was if you went to sleep there was not movement so it would shut off and guests would wake during the night so freak'n hot.

Over the years found on the internet was tips for those staying at Coronado. It taught you how to mess with the temp control to lower the preset temp. The next tip was to purchase a balloon or two and tie it down near the A/C unit. The breeze from the A/C unit kept the balloon moving which was 'movement' for the A/C units motion sensors.
Energy efficient? my , they were to save money on electricity lol.
good thing I went to Coronado during the coldest days, so not need to turn the AC for me ( only did once)

StarWarsGirl

The ironic part of all of this was while at BCV, it was too cold in our room most of the time. Everytime Mousekeeping was in our room, they turned the thermostat down to 69. My mom and I get cold at night, so we turned it up to 71. Then Mousekeeping would turn it down, and we'd turn it up, and then my dad would turn it down, and we'd turn it up...:rolleyes:

Songbird76

you at least have ceiling fans or floor fans?
Ours doesn't. DD's teacher a couple of years ago measured the temp in their classroom during a heatwave. It was 43.3C, so almost 110 in the classroom. And that was on the side of the building that DOESN'T get much sunlight. The parents were ticked, because almost all of the schools in the Netherlands had either canceled or had started 2 hours early so they weren't in school in the hottest part of the day. Ours was the exception...their idea of dealing with the heat was to say that the kids could get up more often and get a drink of water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom