The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Threatening snow, ice mix here for Christmas Eve. Hope not. Praying it is media hype.
Supposed to rain all the way down the coast, and we are driving to SC that day.

I wish that we were leaving tomorrow, but my parents didn't want to pull my brother out of school since they're pulling him out in late January for WDW. Two years ago, when I was a high school senior, they said the same thing about me. I had a migraine and got sent home by second period anyway (teacher took one look at me and said, "Go home), it was the worst migraine of my life, it didn't go away until we hit Virginia the next day, and it took us 16 hours to get down there instead of 12.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Supposed to rain all the way down the coast, and we are driving to SC that day.

I wish that we were leaving tomorrow, but my parents didn't want to pull my brother out of school since they're pulling him out in late January for WDW. Two years ago, when I was a high school senior, they said the same thing about me. I had a migraine and got sent home by second period anyway (teacher took one look at me and said, "Go home), it was the worst migraine of my life, it didn't go away until we hit Virginia the next day, and it took us 16 hours to get down there instead of 12.

Blah. I hate driving distance in the rain or snow, it takes so much longer and more stressful.

I always ripped my kids out of school for a couple weeks at a time. Never made a difference. They did the work, they did well, life went on, despite the tantrums of many predicting doom every time. I was far more careful when they hit high school though. It was more difficult to make up tests with so many teachers. My DH was a math major so that subject was covered and in most cases better. I'd watch more for a pattern of days that would keep them from missing the least amount of days when they were in high school.

When all else failed if it was a shorter trip and they had a few less than amicable teachers I'd lie. I'd either call them in with a family emergency, call in as personal days or I'd call them in sick. Sometimes multiple the same trip. My kids learned early on the truth wasn't always what it was cracked up to be.

Gabe1

Taking kids out of school for Disney trips...I pulled them the last 2 weeks of the school year once to see Flower and Garden before it was pulled. It went so well.

Kindergarten teacher said she couldn't prepare her report card that much in advance, but have a nice time. My DS 5th grade teacher said, how fun! No there won't be any work to do, we're really done anyhow. Over the summer that teacher moved to middle school and he had her again the next year. Score.

Cesar R M

@Cesar R M , I'd be interested to hear about any traditions you and your family observe at Christmas in Mexico. :)
well, for starters.. we do not have turkey or anything like that in thanksgiving.. We eat most of these in Christmas Eve night.

There is almost always a "bolo" between families, or a cheap gift sharing (Ie, all the families buy 1 gift for every person with a low price, like 10 USD. Then they put numbers on each gifts. Then insert the same number of numbers in an enclosed box. During the party, someone is selected to pick up a number randomly from the box. And they get the gift the number that matches. So everyone gets a surprise gift)

Then there is always music, drinking.. and then the final dinner with the turkey, fish (bacalao), Pulled Pork and other classic recipes.
Once all the visitors leave, the family then goes to bed, and in the next day.. they give the personal gifts to each other and specifically the kids.

Cesar R M

Add a steak, and I'm in...

971d18d8799e52e88ced79ccee15830f.jpg

:hungry: :D ;) :)
that steak looks amazing!
I suddenly crave going to the local Outback and get a decent cut

Gabe1

well, for starters.. we do not have turkey or anything like that in thanksgiving.. We eat most of these in Christmas Eve night.

There is almost always a "bolo" between families, or a cheap gift sharing (Ie, all the families buy 1 gift for every person with a low price, like 10 USD. Then they put numbers on each gifts. Then insert the same number of numbers in an enclosed box. During the party, someone is selected to pick up a number randomly from the box. And they get the gift the number that matches. So everyone gets a surprise gift)

Then there is always music, drinking.. and then the final dinner with the turkey, fish (bacalao), Pulled Pork and other classic recipes.
Once all the visitors leave, the family then goes to bed, and in the next day.. they give the personal gifts to each other and specifically the kids.

Awe, that sound like fun traditions.

seahawk7

Good grief, what next? In the back of my mind, I hear a quote (I don't know where it's from), that goes something like this, "You'll get your pound of flesh." They also used to let you check a bag for free, and I heard they've done away with that. To the best of my knowledge, none of the airlines have dropped fares since the cost of fuel has gone down recently. Guess the combination of all these factors has turned my subconscious mind toward the conclusion, that the airlines are like vultures, picking the flesh off our bones . . . :eek:
vultures.jpg

seahawk7

Glad your Hawks won! :)
Yep, I watch football all the time not carin' who's playin'...after all, it's FOOTBALL!!! :joyfull: But, if it's a choice between a game I don't really care too much about, and somethin' that's gonna' get my Disney geek on, it's Disney geek every time. :D

BTW...
I hope ya' get called off for Christmas Eve, too.
And, what kinda' cookies did y'all end up bakin' me...?! :hungry: ;) :)
We are making gingerbread men! I have always wanted to make them and just never did. I went with my Dad to get my Mom her gifts in the mall because he gets very nervous in crowds. He has PTSD. He ended up getting her three gifts and left them with me to wrap. Guess he gets nervous around wrapping paper too. ;) My Dad would think my joke is funny. We love to rib each other. My Dad, son, and I ended up watching the game tonight. Now this was also a good one. All the teams are so hungry now. It was a good day. :)

seahawk7

Guess who's up? I'm not even at work but I can't sleep! The annoying thing about it is that I wanted to get up by 830 to get an early start. So hopefully I can get tired in the next 30 minutes. I took the advice I heard that if you can't sleep, try doing something else until you get tired. Hopefully it works. I think @MinnieM123 should be awake soon and @JenniferS is maybe having trouble sleeping is awake too. Here is breakfast, enjoy!

Mens-Breakfast.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Thank you for sharing that. I like your traditions, and it seems like there are quite a bit of merry-making activities for Christmas! You must be looking forward to this. :joyfull: Enjoy every minute!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Guess who's up? I'm not even at work but I can't sleep! The annoying thing about it is that I wanted to get up by 830 to get an early start. So hopefully I can get tired in the next 30 minutes. I took the advice I heard that if you can't sleep, try doing something else until you get tired. Hopefully it works. I think @MinnieM123 should be awake soon and @JenniferS is maybe having trouble sleeping is awake too. Here is breakfast, enjoy!

Mens-Breakfast.jpg

See! When you're up early, you get to eat a delicious breakfast like this!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We are making gingerbread men! I have always wanted to make them and just never did. I went with my Dad to get my Mom her gifts in the mall because he gets very nervous in crowds. He has PTSD. He ended up getting her three gifts and left them with me to wrap. Guess he gets nervous around wrapping paper too. ;) My Dad would think my joke is funny. We love to rib each other. My Dad, son, and I ended up watching the game tonight. Now this was also a good one. All the teams are so hungry now. It was a good day. :)

I'm sure your dad enjoys your company, and you probably have a few good tips for gifts as well. I think it's funny that he gives you his gifts to wrap, only because my father used to do that with me, too! I'd always wrap my mother's gifts for him! :p Glad the two of you had a fun day, and that your dad is still here for you to love and cherish. (I wish my dad was still around.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Looks like we are having a rainy green Christmas. I hope that doesn't mean it'll snow in May like last year.

Been watching the weather report this morning, and we're also having a rainy few days, including Christmas morning. The temperatures will be around 55-60--way too warm. Christmas is supposed to have at least a dusting of snow and nice, cold, crisp weather. How is Santa going to fly his sleigh here without any snow, and deliver all my toys? I am completely bummed . . . :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom