The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

betty rose

Yes, I have that on my Favorite list and I refer to it often, but, as of late people are just making up their own. Not to mention the fact that in order to understand what was being said we have to go through the effort of looking up the meaning. Why? So others don't have to go through the much simpler method of just spelling it out to begin with. Doesn't seem like a good trade off to me.
Good for you. I'm out with too much information. :)

Figgy1

My hubby is our designated driver, his asthma is aggravated with alcohol. I have some, I joke about a lot more, but at this age, it can hit you quickly. Does help to lower my cholesterol levels, though.
My dh is usually the designated driver on vacation. He may have a drink early around or with lunch but that's it. He doesn't handle the heat as well as I do. So I get to have a few walking around World Showcase:joyfull: He said he might have a few while we're at SOG as Disney will do the driving:joyfull:

donaldtoo

To be serious for a moment... to me it's not so much that we, as a society, have started to abbreviate everything because of cell phone usage, it is that we feel the need to carry it over and make it a valid part of our official language. We can't seem to turn it off. We carry it over even when it is as fast to spell things out and that is getting more and more confusing as people attempt to condense words and phrases that are known only to themselves. Just look at the two different opinions on just two letters. Some thought the D in DS, that our intention was "Dear" and others felt it was "Disney". The intent of the communicator was known only to them.

Every form of activity has it's own identifying language. I'm sure that in architecture there are many things, words, phases and abbreviations that are used for what you do in your field. That doesn't mean that outsiders are aware of what those things mean so they are kept within your field and not forced out into the public. They are compartmentalized.

The habits that I got into originally, the, at least attempt at, punctuation, capitalization, etc. have me almost completely unable to not carry it through to my posting and texting habits. It just feels wrong to me, but, this is the world I live in so I just try and confine that activity to someone else and continue to do what is comfortable for me. That said, I guess I don't care if you or anyone else goes that route, but, I also think that one takes the chance of not fully getting their message out there because so many people don't understand what is being said.

Woof. That was a little too serious for me...! :eek: ;)

Since May of '07, I've been a member of exactly two message boards...both Disney related. The first one is now defunct, unless you have a Facebook account (I do not - plus, that board used to thrive, but, was almost totally dead before it went to FB), which is where they now do all their messaging. So, now I only post here.

Anyway, being a newbie to all things message boards, I lurked on the other board for quite a while before finally joining. All the acronyms and abbreviations, of course, confused me a bit, at first. DW was one of the first I encountered (which, I have now even expanded beyond wife to "DWifey" :D). In the context that it was being used in the post, and with the info given, I could tell they were talking about their "Disney Wife". ;) At one point, I found out there was a thread that listed all the most common acs/abs :D (imagine my surprise when I found out DW was actually listed as "Dear Wife" :eek: ;)). Before I finally joined, I was very familiar with most of them.
I use them here because that is how I was first Immersed in message boards, and I feel it simply makes things a little easier for me. I don't write or talk that way anywhere else.
If you look at the vast majority of my posts, I use punctuation extensively (almost too much sometimes, I think :geek:), and there are few spelling errors. Often, even in the middle of a post, I Google to make sure I have the correct spelling, and I proofread all of them, many of them several times.

As I said, I modify as I feel necessary. Recent examples would be me now typing SonIL and DSprings.

Anyhoo, over the last decade or so, I've found a style that I think works best for me. And, of course, others, such as yourself, have a style that they feel works best for them. Different strokes. :)

P.S.
And yes, in my line of work we have an EXTENSIVE list of acronyms and abbreviations that we employ.
Extensive enough to make a lot of folks choke...! ;) :)

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
QUOTE="Goofyernmost, post: 7115413, member: 9363"]Yes, I have that on my Favorite list and I refer to it often, but, as of late people are just making up their own. Not to mention the fact that in order to understand what was being said we have to go through the effort of looking up the meaning. Why? So others don't have to go through the much simpler method of just spelling it out to begin with. Doesn't seem like a good trade off to me.
I'm going to spell everything out. I can't contain that much information in my brain at the moment.:confused:[/QUOTE]
Yea, but if ur a bad spelr, using abreveashuns wood help 2 hide da fact. ;)

MouseDreaming

It was more about peoples height, size of hands, and other stuff. I didn't finish it, was pretty appalling, with the moderator's taking no control.

It is a circus. Really the only one on the stage that said anything close to his agenda was John Kasich and I don't think he has much chance. The other 3 were just bickering with each other.
See, the problem is, you are thinking of the debates the wrong way. Think of them as Political based entertainment. Kind of reminded me a little of an old Jerry Springer Show. :rolleyes:

betty rose

As those, who know me, I'm out for a nap. Since I've been on these meds I wake up at 3:30 A.M. and roll around for a couple hours then cat nap for the next two or three hours. I'm counting the days, when I can get off this stuff. Oh, has anyone had a bad reaction to Mucinex? I took it for two days, and I became totally crazy. I threw the rest in the garbage. Pharmacist says this is't unusual. I've been pretty much screwed over, at the Doc's office. Hubby has written a letter, to the Doctor. Really shoddy treatment from the Dr. assistant. I may share in a future post. I need to have time to move away from what happened, and get some perspective. But he was nasty last time, and more nasty this time. He seems to be passive aggressive. Son in law had that issue, and he went to therapy to get rid of his anger issues. He is a great person , now. This guy needs to be in therapy too. Just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom