The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

French Quarter

Same down here, but you have to spend $35 or more (I guess because of the value of the dollar difference). I usually manage to hit that. I find that however long it takes depends on where in the US the shipment is coming from. I just did a huge Amazon order today (it's Black Friday). It should be interesting to see how long it takes for each item.

Yes. I never order anything on there from people other than Amazon. (If it isn't eligible for free shipping, it's from a different seller.) So the shipping on those things might take longer.

French Quarter

Today in 2002, Treasure Planet -- my #5 all time favorite Disney movie -- was released in the USA. Happy 13th birthday!
treasure-planet-disneyscreencaps.com-3115.jpg

You know, I still haven't seen this.

French Quarter

Yeah, everyone has their own ideas of family gatherings. None of us cared for gatherings at my MIL and we tried everything to avoid including going to Disney at Christmas, never did a Thanksgiving there. It was never pleasant when there was a gathering, my MIL made huge messes in the kitchen and then plop on couch, she had daughter in laws to clean up. :cautious: We'd easily spend 1 1/2 hours cleaning all she saved up for us to scrap clean and scourer. Been a good decade since my kids or I have attended one of those functions. I was prego with my first kid when my family started going out for Thanksgiving. I can't tell ya the last time my Sis was in for ThanksGiving, she is in el salvador this week instead. No hard feelings. Forget where she is going for Christmas but I'll see her the days before Eve as she is flying Cleveland Chicago to some warm place.

I have 20 something kiddos. I am very careful at this young adult age what I ask them to attend. If they wish too great, if not that is OK too. My DS has a lovely young lady, I really love her, smart, pretty and very nice. The rub is the demand of her family/family time, family vacations, extended family vacations. I can see clearly it is a sticking point that could be the demise ultimately. The tug of war of families not being able to let go of the control of the 20 somethings. I look at it like if you let them go they come back because they want to not because it is required. It makes for more enjoyable time together. It is just my take on my 20 somethings.

I really appreciate your comments, Gabe. I think the obligation to do things with family simply because you are related to these people is ridiculous. I think people should spend time together because they want to...not because they feel they have to. And some of us find our families, instead of being born into them. I never spend holidays with my extended family. I want to actually enjoy the holiday and not be stressed out. That's my family dynamic. I know it's different for others. Everyone should just do what works for them.

I think twenty somethings are adults who get to make their own decisions on how they spend their time. If they don't want to be at a family dinner, I can understand that. They need time to spend with their friends too. And I think some parents have a tendency to accept invitations on behalf of their adult children and that's just not fair.

French Quarter

Yes. Drool. I always thought the Canadian version was closer to the German Sauerbraten gravy with that vinegar taste to it.

I was so disappointed in this. I've had much better.
Poutine-at-Lunch-500x333.jpg

from the disneyfoodblog Le Cellier Lunch Poutine

Yeah...that's a play on poutine but not the real thing.

You are so right. It poutine sauce does taste like sauerbraten sauce! I never thought of that before.

donaldtoo

Thought I'd pop back in here for a few minutes. Hubby is out at a Thanksgiving Day road race for a few hours; his running time is usually pretty good, so I'm looking forward to seeing how his placement is this year. :)

Since our Thanksgiving restaurant feast isn't until this afternoon, I decided to bake a pumpkin bread this morning, and I also made a stove-top cranberry chutney. Needless to say, my dog, Jack, was underfoot. He was in shock, I think, as I don't cook or bake that often. He had this blank look on his face with every little spice jar I'd open (although that may also have something to do with me cursing the "safety seal" on all those stupid little jars. They're a pain in the neck to open. :banghead: )

Had to open up a box of raisins and it was sealed, too--so I open up the top of the box with a knife, and the box slips, and raisins go flying all over the kitchen table and floor. :mad: Now, Jack was elated at the sight of airborne food, and he dove for every raisin on the floor!! :rolleyes: Luckily, the box was large enough, that half the raisins were still inside, which was more than enough for the chutney recipe.

When the pumpkin bread was done in the oven, I took it out to cool on a rack. But I think I took it out of the pan too soon, (maybe it's supposed to cool in the pan a bit?) because it sort of broke into thirds when I tried to put it on the rack. :( I know it was cooked through as I tested it while it was in the oven, with a knife that came out clean. Cooking. Ugh.

Oh my. Sympathy like.
But, I couldn't help but also :hilarious: either...Jack's a hoot...! :oops: ;)
I'm a grilling guy mostly, but, actually haven't done that much in recent years.
I remember some fun with the family strudel recipe before I got it pretty much perfected. Funny thing was it wasn't so much the recipe per se, as just getting 'em rolled up properly for baking. If you don't get it right, you end up with a bunch of ingredients that burst out and kinda' make a mess all over the baking sheet. Once I got it down, beautiful...! :hungry: :happy:

Last edited:

Songbird76

Feast number #3 today - oink - at least we did a lot of walking today looking at sales. My DD bought a boatload. Me an expensive pair of jeans for $18 I needed them so it was a win win.

CU35d5ZWoAAZfK6.jpg:large

I took the first slice of 7 layer jello. The following slices were so pretty. 3 days to make a freak'n jello. :rolleyes:
Is the jello what's in the bowl on the right? And what's under the mushrooms?

Songbird76

I'd have to ship an oven consolidated in a SeaBox. Or at least a convection counter top oven also about $500 for a nice sized on. Consolidated shipping isn't all that prohibitive for something you'd likely get at least 10 years or more out of. Home Depot will even ship internationally. I'd guess the biggest hurdle would be the wiring. Just can't imagine living without sometype of an oven.
Oh I couldn't live without an oven. I got the most expensive and largest one the store had. Believe it or not, most of them were smaller. But that's one thing I wouldn't compromise on...I had 2 demands: I need a bathtub, and I need an oven. The Dutch view both as luxuries.

Songbird76

I visit Wisconsin, I come back with bags of so many flavors of cheese curds. Life is good. Maybe @Cesar R M would have a different opinion of them if he knew what Wisconsin is offering up.
One of my cousins married someone whose family owns, or at least manages a cheese factory in Wisconsin. When we went to Illinois to visit family, we would always make a stop in Shullsburg to visit the cousins and my mom and brother would gorge themselves on cheesecurds.

French Quarter

Dang, :( I wish I had seen the Chicago parade. I have seen it in the past, and it is a really nice parade On Thanksgiving morning, all I saw were two stations with the Macy's parade on, so I didn't even realize that they covered the Chicago parade this year as well.

I saw that it was on but for some reason I only recorded Macy's. I like both kinds of parades - the more traditional and the more performance heavy.

French Quarter

I get the trial of free shipping for a month. Long short, my mom's birthday was the day before Thanksgiving and I had no gift so took the free two days shipping so it would get here on time. And it got here the day of her birthday.

I would not get Prime though. I don't buy a lot; if I do, I can wait the week or so til it gets here. Amazon Prime movies and tv are horrible in my opinion.

Yeah I've never seen the point in Prime. I have done the math and it would save me mere pennies, if that.

French Quarter

The person singing was right before the parade, at a piano. She couldn't sing, IMHO. I admit, I only watched a little of the actual parade, because the Chicago parade seemed so much better. Maybe I should have watched a little longer. I thought the first person singing would be singing throughout the parade.

The first performance was from Gloria and Emilio Estefan's new Broadway musical and the music was definitely from CD. They just did the one performance. I thought it was great and it made me want to go see the musical. Maybe it was something else? I'm really not sure.

French Quarter

Oh I couldn't live without an oven. I got the most expensive and largest one the store had. Believe it or not, most of them were smaller. But that's one thing I wouldn't compromise on...I had 2 demands: I need a bathtub, and I need an oven. The Dutch view both as luxuries.

Hubby loves the tub. The rest of us only ever shower. I wouldn't need a tub if not for him. Showers seem so much easier to keep clean.

catmom46

@catmom, your pictures are exquisite. There are so many beautiful things out there in Disneyland--it's like a little paradise, all by itself. Funny, but one of the pictures that I focused on the most was a parade picture with a ballerina on pointe. Because I'm such an uncoordinated dork, I could never see myself on pointe to begin with, but more to this picture--how in heck does she keep her balance on pointe, while the float is moving like that?! :eek:

The Finding Nemo pics were fun, too. I really love the parade--so festive!! :cat:

Thanks for such a nice compliment! I try my best to get good angles and perspectives - the parade was a bit of a challenge because there was a rather tall guy to the right of us, so I got several with his big head in it. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom