The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
What about pedometers? They also count steps and have been around a lot longer than the Fitbits. I know the Fitbits do other dandy things, but a cheapo pedometer will also count steps. ;) The only reason I'm bringing this up is because some of the employees at work joined a group diet plan, and they had to walk the 10,000 steps a day. All were given these little cheapie pedometers to count the steps--pedometers worked fine! :happy:
I would think they would do just fine. I never had anything before and got the Fitbit for my birthday. I'm not sure that I would have gone out and bought one on my own... ;)

Goofyernmost

Something in life I've never experienced, no male in my life has ever cooked let alone tackled thanksgiving
I always helped with the prep for family dinners, but, after my divorce I actually put on the dinners, alone, and the whole nine yards. Turkey, potatoes, turnips, coleslaw, stuffing, other veggies, pumpkin and apple pie and multiple other things. No one complained and didn't find a reason to not come to it in my following attempts, so it must have at least been edible. Nobody died! I don't do it anymore because my apartment doesn't have the room for family events, so I contribute a few things and on a rotating basis pay for the ingredients, but, no longer am I the host. I think that my daughter actually enjoys being the hostess and she does it very well.

Goofyernmost

Yikes you'd think the ophthalmologist would've warned you that your sight would be gone for awhile before sending you home! :confused:
I think that because everyone's experience differs they are hesitant to tell anyone what might happen and if they do they put so little emphasis on it that you really don't pay all that much attention. I know a day and a half later when the numbing medicine they put in my eye finally wore off, the eye drops felt like I dripped acid in my eye. :in pain: Since I had no improvement in my vision and now it felt like I was sticking nails in my eyes, I came as close to a panic that I have ever experienced. But alas, it was the weekend and getting someone to return my call was futile. By the time I did hear from them, the burning became much more tolerable, but, my overall vision had not improved. Right now, 8 days later my vision is about where it was before the surgery, but, seems to be improving slightly each day. Patience is not one of my strong points. :joyfull:

betty rose

Ok after watching 99% off the parade now I don't know what people are talking about when you say the singing was bad. All the music was prerecorded as far as I can tell so it's CD quality. Do you just mean you don't enjoy musicals?
The person singing was right before the parade, at a piano. She couldn't sing, IMHO. I admit, I only watched a little of the actual parade, because the Chicago parade seemed so much better. Maybe I should have watched a little longer. I thought the first person singing would be singing throughout the parade.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That is Disney's fault. They turned their Runs into everything from a Run, to a Waddle to a Walk. A revenue decision and it works for them. If it is acceptable to Disney to accept the walker times I can't fault the Walkers.
I've been very vocal about that situation in the past, but, I will restate it. This is Disney, this is not a world class marathon run. It is there for everyone to participate in. It has been used as a spring board for many to start to feel good about themselves again after years of physical neglect.

I know that "hardcore" runners get all bent out of shape because everyone is allowed to run in it, but, lets face it this is a qualifying attempt at best and not a world class venue. I also challenge the thought that a lot of out of shape people participate in the more serious half or full marathon event. They know they cannot do it without killing themselves and the few that do lack in enough judgement to know better are quickly either tagging along at the back of the pack or dead on the pavement. There is no where near the problem that it has been built up to be. I'm more upset about those that are serious runners that join in the 5K knowing that they will win it and then complain about those that are slower being in their way. They take themselves and the event way to seriously.

An example of the good that an event like this can be to someone that has been an overweight couch potato for decades, can actually achieve something that they previously have been unable to do. My sister lost 100 pounds and the ability to just participate in such an event and being able to was a huge boost to her ego and resolve. The other complaint is that they get a rubber, refrigerator magnet style, of medal for participating. Sorry, if that upsets the jocks of the world, but, it means the world to someone previously unable to accomplish the feat. If that takes away from the first place persons accomplishments, well all I can say is life's a .

Last edited:

betty rose

My DD has connected the dots between her sleep pattern and the freight trains. Her apartment is very close to a crossing which is a whistle zone and a few of these engineers are beyond obnoxious with the length of their whistles at their own discretion. Our town is in the process of installing concrete road dividers so it will become whistle free. She looks forward to seeing if her sleep pattern disruptions in REM sleep alters when the state finally clears us free of whistles.
I have the same issues with private planes flying over the house, all hours of the night.

betty rose

Last Christmas I watched a UPS driver throw a box out of his truck and then throw the same box at the house storm door. He wasn't our normal UPS driver and it was like 8pm. He really needed an attitude adjustment.

We have amazon prime and we get everything in maximum 2 days, somethings now come same day. But with same day came Illinois State Tax.
I love Amazon. I've never had a destroyed package from them.

betty rose

I have not done much shopping yet. Only a few. Not good. We hit a few stores this afternoon however we stayed clear of the malls. I bought two new mugs and a pair of jeans. My DD spent a bundle, but very wisely. She is methodical. I need a winter coat yet so maybe I'll take advantage of the sales that extend over the next two days. Last year I did a lot of shopping via Amazon. It did simplify my life.
We hope to do marathon shopping this week. Wrap presents, next week. And mail Christmas cards. Then start planning the Christmas foods. Should be a busy couple weeks. And fun too!:joyfull:

betty rose

Beautiful pictures. While I've been out to Disneyland it has been a while. I've never taken my kiddo's it is a goal. I miss it. It is always a toss up. Airfare is expensive to Cali and I can do about 5 days there to 10 at Disney World so Disney World always seems to win economically and stay on property. Still I want to return.
Economics is the reason we do Disney World. I would love to see the original, but it's so much more money.

betty rose

Finding Nemo had about a 30 minute wait, and we experienced another temporary closure, but lucked out again that it was short-lived.
View attachment 121069 View attachment 121074 View attachment 121075

Sad fish...
View attachment 121076

Next we took a spin on the Monorail - here's a few pics while waiting in line. DD said the subs were taking baths here. :D
View attachment 121077 View attachment 121078 View attachment 121079
I love your pictures. Having fun on "our" vacation. Thanks a bunch!:joyfull:

betty rose

First of all, I'm so happy to hear about your dad's health!! :)

When you posted the Normal Rockwell "Thanksgiving" picture the other day, I thought to myself that the image is probably very close to your actual holiday gathering. You are so fortunate to have your parents still around (mine passed away years ago), and much of your family (and some rellies) are relatively close by. So I can see the whole group having a good time together on Thanksgiving. What's left of my family (siblings, relatives) is spread out all over the country, and we rarely see each other. My sister is the only one who lives fairly close by. Gotta admit, I miss the old days when the family (and grandparents) were all together at home on Thanksgiving, and we all helped out with the meal. Then, we would all just relax for the rest of the day.
I really miss those times too. It's only me and my sister, left in the immediate family. We don't do the big Thanksgiving's , we do enjoy spending time with the kids and GK's. Like you, family is spread from North Carolina, to California.

betty rose

What about pedometers? They also count steps and have been around a lot longer than the Fitbits. I know the Fitbits do other dandy things, but a cheapo pedometer will also count steps. ;) The only reason I'm bringing this up is because some of the employees at work joined a group diet plan, and they had to walk the 10,000 steps a day. All were given these little cheapie pedometers to count the steps--pedometers worked fine! :happy:
I take my pedometer to Disney to track how many steps we do each day. It's fun to see how many miles you can put on there.

French Quarter

I don't do Black Friday shopping either anymore. Although I did go into Walmart today around 11am, just to kill some time before we went to see the Good Dinosaur (the animation is amazing by the way). The store wasn't too crowded but more than normal and we didn't stay long. Good deal on your Petsmart outing, I'm sure Jack appreciates it!

Glad to hear a bit about the Good Dinosaur. I am really looking forward to it myself.

French Quarter

Hi everyone. Just getting home after a day out.

A little place about a half hour from here has this amazing weekend every year called Christmas in the Village. We went there today. It has all these little shops opened up and outdoor stalls and little craft shows and Santa comes down the street on his John Deer. And the church has a display of nativity scenes and a craft corner for the kids. The museum is open with it's specially decorated tree. And everything is decked out so beautifully. My favourite part was strolling down the main street with hot cider when it started to snow beautiful fluffy flakes. What a magical day and a magical place!

But now I am pooped. So we sit and watch more Hallmark Christmas movies and enjoy some of the baked goods we picked up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom