The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Good luck on your tests! Look on the bright side 4 day weekend to sleep in, Netflix and maybe go for a nice walk.
No four day weekend here. Not even for public schools. They have their normal 2 day weekend and I have my normal three day weekend. But my parents will be gone all day on Sunday for the Ravens game, and one of my best friends, who lives over an hour away, is coming down to hang out for the day! So two days of hard work, and then a nice day with my friend. Tomorrow, I have PT at 10:30, then will probably start taking my walks again (I haven't since my surgery, partly because I haven't had time).

First test done. I don't think I did great on it, but considering the rest of the class was taking a retest today, I'm not horribly worried about it. 45 minutes until my next class. Already changed campuses. Will grab lunch in a bit and then walk down the hall to my next class. Then off to get my car. Then over to other school to study and take other test. Then back here for a class. Then home, where I plan to watch TV (I'm behind on some of my shows, oddly. I think it's because I'm addicted to a Spanish-language show on Hulu right now...) and cuddle with my cat.

Songbird76

My schedule tomorrow:

9:25: Arrive at school, take test during first class.
10:40: Take shuttle to other campus, study
12:15: Go to second class. Eat lunch during class.
1:30: Leave school w/ Mom to get car
Sometime after getting car, go to other school to make up Spanish test at 3:30
Leave right after test to go back to my school for last class at 4:30, which I will probably end up being late to (Professor is fine with this)
5:45: Go home, likely to eat dinner and sleep.

*sigh* At least this will be the end of the week.
How many schools do you go to?? For 3 years in college I had classes straight through from 8:00am to 8:30 pm with only 1.5 hour dinner break. Our audition only choir rehearsed at noon, so I didn't get lunch, our vocal Jazz ensemble went until 5:30 and then I had to be back at 7:00 for the non-audition choir, and I had classes in between all the ensemble rehearsals except for before the non-audition group. It was only on Mondays and Wednesdays, but man did it wear me out! I feel your pain. Do you have a job or can you relax when you get home?

Figgy1

No four day weekend here. Not even for public schools. They have their normal 2 day weekend and I have my normal three day weekend. But my parents will be gone all day on Sunday for the Ravens game, and one of my best friends, who lives over an hour away, is coming down to hang out for the day! So two days of hard work, and then a nice day with my friend. Tomorrow, I have PT at 10:30, then will probably start taking my walks again (I haven't since my surgery, partly because I haven't had time).

First test done. I don't think I did great on it, but considering the rest of the class was taking a retest today, I'm not horribly worried about it. 45 minutes until my next class. Already changed campuses. Will grab lunch in a bit and then walk down the hall to my next class. Then off to get my car. Then over to other school to study and take other test. Then back here for a class. Then home, where I plan to watch TV (I'm behind on some of my shows, oddly. I think it's because I'm addicted to a Spanish-language show on Hulu right now...) and cuddle with my cat.
Try and have some fun with your friend, my boys have a 3 day weekend.

Songbird76

I can't say I like holocaust movies but most I've seen are well done and interesting. I like to watch them to learn more about that time period and as a reminder of what happened. The holocaust museum in DC was a highlight of my trip, so riveting and sad all at the same time.
I only got to see part of that. We got there too late in the day to see it. But the Anne Frank house is pretty....what's the word I'm looking for...it leaves an impression.

catmom46

No long weekend for me either. Next holiday for us is Thanksgiving. :(

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
How many schools do you go to?? For 3 years in college I had classes straight through from 8:00am to 8:30 pm with only 1.5 hour dinner break. Our audition only choir rehearsed at noon, so I didn't get lunch, our vocal Jazz ensemble went until 5:30 and then I had to be back at 7:00 for the non-audition choir, and I had classes in between all the ensemble rehearsals except for before the non-audition group. It was only on Mondays and Wednesdays, but man did it wear me out! I feel your pain. Do you have a job or can you relax when you get home?
I am technically full time at my school. Our school has two campuses because we can't build around the older campuses due to laws governing historical property, so the school bought land 15 minutes away, and that is the main campus. I have one class over at the main campus and two over at the other campus, and one online which has not started yet. My school is small with only about 4,000 undergrads. It's nice because I've never had a class with more than 25 people. The tough part is that we don't always have a lot of options, and one program we are lacking is foreign languages. We only have up to 200 level. I took 6 years of Spanish in high school plus the AP exam, so my first Spanish class for college needed to be 300 level. Since there are about 8 colleges with an hour radius of each other, they have a special program where if a class is not offered at your home school, you can take one class at another college per semester for full credit (no pass/fail stuff, A, A-, B+, B, etc.) and you don't have to pay anything; it just counts towards however many credits your tuition covers. So I take 15 credits per semester, and 12 of them are classes here, and then I go to one of the local, large state universities for one Spanish class per semester. So I'm in between three campuses. I'm at my school, between campuses, from 9:25-5:45 with a 1 1/2 hour break and a 3 hour break. I go over to the state school from 2-3:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays. I'm a peer tutor, so I work when I get appointments, which are generally Monday and Wednesday mornings, Monday evenings, Thursday evenings, and Friday afternoons, though that can vary.

In general, I'm very busy and run around like a chicken with its head cut off. I'm all over the place. And I avoid 8 am classes like the plague. But I keep a schedule. Up at 9 am on Mondays and Wednesdays (unless I have a morning tutoring appointment) 7:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, no more homework after 11 pm unless absolutely necessary, to bed between 11:30 and 1 am, depending on how tired I am and how much TV I feel like watching. And for right now, I have PT Mondays and Fridays, though that mostly affects work, and my boss is good about blocking off my schedule as long as I give him enough notice.

Songbird76

I couldn't stand the Diary of Anne Frank, then I read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, it was the most horrible book, I have ever read... I don't know how people can be so evil.
I've read The Diary of Anne Frank several times...twice in the original Dutch. I haven't read the rise and fall of the 3rd Reich, but I read a book about Auschwitz and how the main extermination programs started, etc. I feel like it's important to know about so we don't let it happen again. I'm fascinated and horrified by the fact that so many people turned a blind eye to it because it wasn't them.

Figgy1

I am technically full time at my school. Our school has two campuses because we can't build around the older campuses due to laws governing historical property, so the school bought land 15 minutes away, and that is the main campus. I have one class over at the main campus and two over at the other campus, and one online which has not started yet. My school is small with only about 4,000 undergrads. It's nice because I've never had a class with more than 25 people. The tough part is that we don't always have a lot of options, and one program we are lacking is foreign languages. We only have up to 200 level. I took 6 years of Spanish in high school plus the AP exam, so my first Spanish class for college needed to be 300 level. Since there are about 8 colleges with an hour radius of each other, they have a special program where if a class is not offered at your home school, you can take one class at another college per semester for full credit (no pass/fail stuff, A, A-, B+, B, etc.) and you don't have to pay anything; it just counts towards however many credits your tuition covers. So I take 15 credits per semester, and 12 of them are classes here, and then I go to one of the local, large state universities for one Spanish class per semester. So I'm in between three campuses. I'm at my school, between campuses, from 9:25-5:45 with a 1 1/2 hour break and a 3 hour break. I go over to the state school from 2-3:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays. I'm a peer tutor, so I work when I get appointments, which are generally Monday and Wednesday mornings, Monday evenings, Thursday evenings, and Friday afternoons, though that can vary.

In general, I'm very busy and run around like a chicken with its head cut off. I'm all over the place. And I avoid 8 am classes like the plague. But I keep a schedule. Up at 9 am on Mondays and Wednesdays (unless I have a morning tutoring appointment) 7:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, no more homework after 11 pm unless absolutely necessary, to bed between 11:30 and 1 am, depending on how tired I am and how much TV I feel like watching. And for right now, I have PT Mondays and Fridays, though that mostly affects work, and my boss is good about blocking off my schedule as long as I give him enough notice.
sympathy like, that's a long day everyday

betty rose

I've read The Diary of Anne Frank several times...twice in the original Dutch. I haven't read the rise and fall of the 3rd Reich, but I read a book about Auschwitz and how the main extermination programs started, etc. I feel like it's important to know about so we don't let it happen again. I'm fascinated and horrified by the fact that so many people turned a blind eye to it because it wasn't them.
Yes, history is important to learn lessons from the past.

Songbird76

As you probably already know, I'm a WWII history buff. And I've posted this here before, but, I can't remember if you we're here then...

Anyway, almost all of Saving Private Ryan was pretty intense, but that first half hour or so of the landing scene was on a whole other excruciating level.
Before the movie started, we had struck up a short conversation with 3 elderly couples in front of us. 5 were WWII veterans. One of the gentleman was stationed in the Pacific Theater and the 2 others were in the European Theater. One of the ladies was an Army Nurse and the other was with the Navy WAVES.
The 2 gentleman that were in Europe participated in the initial landings.
After the movie. I asked them what they thought. They said it was by far and away the closest thing they had ever seen on film to the real thing. They were a bit emotional.
We were too, and we also thanked them very much for their sacrifice and service.
I have never seen the movie as I am a wuss and was told by many people who know me that it is much too graphic for me. I don't know why, but I thought it was about Vietnam, not WWII. 2 of my uncles were on the front lines in WWII. One of them was wounded and he never talked about the war. He came home with shell shock (PTSD) and his doctor told him to get a dog, that having something to take care of sometimes helped. He ALWAYS had a dog after that. We found out after he died that he had been in the battle of the bulge, where his daughter THINKS he was wounded, but since he never talked about it, we don't know for sure.

Songbird76

You did very good @ donaldtoo. I find that period in history the most difficult to understand. We are a very curious species. I still don't understand how people can be so unfeeling to one another.
This is why I get so upset about the Syrian refugees here. There are a BUNCH of people who don't want them here and I keep thinking it's so hypocritical to turn them away when it was only 70 years ago that it was the Europeans fleeing in droves...now they won't take in people in the same situation as their parents, or grandparents, because they are a different religion? It really makes me upset.

Figgy1

I just skimmed through the thread so im not sure if this was talked about...Has anyone seen the Martian yet? I thought it was incredible. Especially in those AMC movie theaters with the comfy red chairs. I think it might be my favorite movie of the year, Well. Jurrasic World and this are my favorite movies of the year until star wars comes out :p
THNX my ds wants to see it.

Songbird76

You're at an awkward age as an adult, I remember it well. I was 23 when I moved out and got a condo. My folks, more my Dad still wanted to rule a roost that didn't need to be sat on anymore. My Mom pins more of it on my Dad but she equally had some 'control' issues with her DDs. When my Sis was in LawSchool in Illinois she ultimately came to live with me after a major 'you can't do that' with my Mom. Way to old for if you live in my house.....She ultimately returned back to Ohio to finish law school and never looked back. They are all there for me but some parents let go and ease the reins more than others.

I kept my youth in mind while raising my kids especially with my DS. We have a wonderful rapport likely because of it. I genuinely picked my battles over time and he turned out just fine. My DD she was born a responsible adult. Like I have said before she has a very high IQ and is likely the most poised and calculated thinker I know. She like me side steps battles vs picks them. She like me can hold her own but it is a rare for her to start something, but if warranted, we'll finish it off.
Maybe it's a standard parent thing. My mom was very controlling. I was pretty much an angel child in high school and figured I could wait till college to be independent. So I got good grades, got scholarships and went to university. My mom didn't like the guy I was dating and forbid me (I was 19) to be engaged to him. She wrote me 15 page letters telling me how disappointed she was in me and how she wished I had rebelled in high school instead of in college. I told her I wasn't rebelling...I was an adult and she was welcome to give me advice but I wasn't obligated to take it. And then she wrote a 9 page letter to my friend, asking her to "fix" me and get me to break up with my boyfriend (who she didn't like because he wasn't Missouri Synod Lutheran). I was getting straight A's and I paid for everything with scholarships and money from my job...she didn't have to pay a penny. I didn't party or get into any trouble, but you'd have thought I was Satan the way she talked. I'm guessing a lot of it was that she was a single parent and always had to be the bad guy, and she was used to me just doing what she told me to do and couldn't take it when I was independent. I think it's brilliant that you let your kids be themselves. I'm trying to do that with my kids. They are still young, though...it might be harder when they are teens, but so far DD is the easiest child on the planet! DS has some issues, but we're working on them and really he's a good kid and very smart, just has some developmental problems with his social and emotional side.

Songbird76

Oh...off his meds! That sounds like fun.
no_tv_and_no_beer_make_homer___by_shadowsoldier247.png
We have a cage for just such occasions. We are usually pretty good at keeping him in line though. And a little crazy never hurt anyone, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom