The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Progress.City

I can't believe I lost my favorite pair of glasses this morning. I woke up around 5:30am thirsty, quickly got dressed and walked until I found a convience store open and bought a chocolate milk, drank it down real fast, went back, and fell back to sleep. When I woke up, I realized my glasses were missing. I already organized all my stuff into piles and I still can't find it. Ugh!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I have never encountered such a strong dog. He is really sweet and loveable. But, he doesn't know his strength. What does Alpha mean. I'm sure they are learning about dog ownership. Would love to help them.

He sounds like a great dog. As is true with any dog, any breed, it's always important to establish that the owner(s) are alpha (leader(s) of the pack). Some people just have that innate trait to begin with, while others don't. Believe me, the dog will figure out if the owner(s) don't, and the dog will take over as the alpha. In other words, the dog won't respect the commands given to him. This might be cute inside the house where everyone is familiar, but it can create problems when the dog is taken outside, if the dog thinks he can run amok and not come back to the owner when called, etc. (He could pose a potential danger to other people and other animals, not to mention that he could bolt down the street and get hit by a car, if he doesn't come when called.)

The earlier this type of training is instilled, the better. Group training classes (places like Petco and Petsmart offer them, as well as private trainers, etc.) are really helpful to correct some of these issues. I had to take my dog (6 years ago) to training classes, because I could tell that I wasn't alpha enough for him. Early on, I could see that he had an aggressive streak in him, and I needed to put a stop to that immediately. He's 55 pounds and a powerhouse of muscle. He's mellowed over the years quite a bit, but we worked with him a lot the first few years and he's a great dog now.

You seem to interact a lot better with the dog than the dog's owners, but that's just my hunch from the little you've shared about him. Just be careful with his playfulness, as he's already 90 pounds, I think you said. A big, energetic, Rottie puppy could easily knock over you or anyone else, and not even have a clue that he did it! :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just got in from watching fireworks on the beach. Took a while. Today it has been mobbed over here. My parents took a drive in the morning. They gave us the option of staying here or going with them. I opted to stay here, and my brother went with them. I could only find a lounge chair by the adults only pool. There were no other chairs. I went to the beach for a while and had to put my stuff on the grass near the edge because there were no lounge chairs. When my parents got there, the family next to us, who had three chairs reserved, gave up one of their chairs so that we had two, not just one. That was nice. My brother had to come over to the section once they got back from their drive, but basically, he was there to be sunscreened and leave his shoes there. Not like we had much of a choice. No one complained; he behaved himself.

Tomorrow, we say aloha, meaning goodbye, to Hawaii. I'm sad that it's over, but we've got four weeks at home, and then off to WDW. And a busy four weeks it will be. It's really my opportunity for having an actual social life until the semester restarts. Whereas during the semester, I kind of text people and go, "You got homework? Yup, I've got it too" and then my socializing is basically meals on campus and maybe occasionally hanging out. Bittersweet, though, because I have no idea when I will be back.

And we have in-flight entertainment. Cinderella, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and the Longest Ride (yes, Nicholas Sparks sap. I happen to like it; also read the book while I was here) are all playing. Thinking I will watch one or all of those. Probably will only sleep for a few hours on the plane and then a little on the flight from Atlanta to BWI, and then get to bed early when we get home Monday to put myself back on Eastern time.

Oh, boo. It can't be time yet to say aloha to Hawaii. Seems like just yesterday that you were packed and ready to head to the airport, and begin your vacation. Well all I can say is that I'm thilled that you had such a wonderful, fun and relaxing time there with the family. Really enjoyed your pictures, too. I hope yo have a nice flight back home, and I know your reunion with your cat will be a joyous occasion!! :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Pretty sure I know what you mean, and that is actually along the lines I was thinking (I think :cyclops:)...
When I bring up a group of images, I click on one to enlarge it. It then comes up enlarged in a black box with other smaller related images next to it. I then copy from there and paste into my post. Sometimes I click on that enlarged image, because sometimes when it then comes up in it's own separate window, the image is even larger and more to my liking. Sometimes, when I click on that first enlarged image, the separate window that comes up tells me that the image is not available/forbidden or something like that.
Sounds like I need to always go to that second window to make sure the image is available, then...is that correct...? :cyclops:

That's the most confusing thing I've read this morning! :confused: o_O No wonder you don't even have a clue what you're trying to do there! :p :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Fireworks still going off around here at 11pm! Hopefully it'll stop soon cuz it's stressing out one of our doggies (the other one is snoring loudly, though).

And so much bad local news just for today: a small plane crashed on a beach, wounding a 12-year-old boy (but at least not fatally), a Greyhound bus crashed, 2 people were stabbed, 2 buildings caught fire, and a car swerved off a cliff, killing 2 kids. Definitely takes away the joy of a holiday. :(

As for the news, just remember: "If it bleeds, it leads." Those types of stories are always featured front and center. When I see negative stuff like that, I think to myself that those situations are in the minority, and I try to focus on the good people and good situations in life. It helps (me, anyway . . .). As for the fireworks, we heard some (illegal -- in MA, they are illegal except for professional, sanctioned displays) go off a few streets away. These were LOUD. My dog hates them, too, and we gave him a mild sedative to calm him down. (The vet prescribed these pills for those rare types of occasions.)

Goofyernmost

And so much bad local news just for today: a small plane crashed on a beach, wounding a 12-year-old boy (but at least not fatally), a Greyhound bus crashed, 2 people were stabbed, 2 buildings caught fire, and a car swerved off a cliff, killing 2 kids. Definitely takes away the joy of a holiday. :(
And those are just the ones that you heard about. Bad things happen every single day. I always looked at it as the joy of any day is when it doesn't happen to me. Doesn't mean I don't feel for those that it does happen too, but, being aloof from it will be something that I always hope for.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I can't believe I lost my favorite pair of glasses this morning. I woke up around 5:30am thirsty, quickly got dressed and walked until I found a convience store open and bought a chocolate milk, drank it down real fast, went back, and fell back to sleep. When I woke up, I realized my glasses were missing. I already organized all my stuff into piles and I still can't find it. Ugh!
Sympathy like! I hope you find them! Good luck.

betty rose

He sounds like a great dog. As is true with any dog, any breed, it's always important to establish that the owner(s) are alpha (leader(s) of the pack). Some people just have that innate trait to begin with, while others don't. Believe me, the dog will figure out if the owner(s) don't, and the dog will take over as the alpha. In other words, the dog won't respect the commands given to him. This might be cute inside the house where everyone is familiar, but it can create problems when the dog is taken outside, if the dog thinks he can run amok and not come back to the owner when called, etc. (He could pose a potential danger to other people and other animals, not to mention that he could bolt down the street and get hit by a car, if he doesn't come when called.)

The earlier this type of training is instilled, the better. Group training classes (places like Petco and Petsmart offer them, as well as private trainers, etc.) are really helpful to correct some of these issues. I had to take my dog (6 years ago) to training classes, because I could tell that I wasn't alpha enough for him. Early on, I could see that he had an aggressive streak in him, and I needed to put a stop to that immediately. He's 55 pounds and a powerhouse of muscle. He's mellowed over the years quite a bit, but we worked with him a lot the first few years and he's a great dog now.

You seem to interact a lot better with the dog than the dog's owners, but that's just my hunch from the little you've shared about him. Just be careful with his playfulness, as he's already 90 pounds, I think you said. A big, energetic, Rottie puppy could easily knock over you or anyone else, and not even have a clue that he did it! :)
I hope I didn't give the impression , that I was remote with the neighbors, L @ D, are our good friends, we exchange little gifts throughout the year, and see each other a lot during the summer. L works a lot, so we don't see her as much, but we look out for each other's houses when away. Best of neighbor's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom