The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
I was in a team meeting earlier today, and my boss's boss mentioned he was going to a Red Sox game tonight. He asked it anyone was a baseball fan. No one piped up until I said yes, but not Red Sox. We started talking and he said "Yeah, the Orioles and Red Sox have had some battles over the years." Internally I had to tell myself "Do not bring up details of games from 10+ years ago..." 😆

Lilofan

Whenever I go on vacation, one of my favorite meals is breakfast. (At home, I never cook breakfast -- I just have some yogurt and crackers.) Didn't get photos of all, but here's three, between the 2 of us:

His Cinnamon apple French Toast with maple syrup:
View attachment 785201

Pepper eggs with home fries, English muffins, and the inn's homemade corned beef hash (a ton of it!). In background, his veggie omelet with feta cheese, side of bacon, English muffins, etc.:
View attachment 785203

Lastly, here's a waffle with whipped cream and berries, maple syrup, and bacon: :hungry:
View attachment 785205
There is a all u can eat place in Lancaster Amish country, PA called Shady Maple. This foods reminds me of this place and much more. If Las Vegas is the king of buffets of the West Coast , I can't see a better all u can eat homemade stuff yourself till I loosen my belt buckle experience than Shady Maple on the East Coast.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Not sure why I love Downton Abbey so much. I'm mean, yes, the movies could be better but it's like a guilty pleasure. Plus British accents. 💌

Gilded Age is too American plus I have Newport right next door to me. Though haven't been to Newport since I stopped working. I hate the bridge and the other way to get their is a chaotic mess.

Plus the British cast is nicer to look at.
I love Downton Abbey, too. (TV series and movies) As for the Gilded Age, I watched it when I had a free preview last year of some of the series -- really liked it. Just didn't want to subscribe to a bunch of streaming apps, so I did without, once the free preview ended.

Newport is cool -- been there a bunch of times, but not recently. Seen all the mansions (including some of the less publicized ones) more than once. It is a step back in time when you go through those amazing "summer cottages" -- ;)

Figgy1

There is a all u can eat place in Lancaster Amish country, PA called Shady Maple. This foods reminds me of this place and much more. If Las Vegas is the king of buffets of the West Coast , I can't see a better all u can eat homemade stuff yourself till I loosen my belt buckle experience than Shady Maple on the East Coast.
Miller's is much better.

Lilofan

Miller's is much better.
Didn't have a chance to go to Millers but we followed the fellow tourist crowd to the popular and huge Shady Maple location. One place that reminded me of Shady but is a la carte with a smaller menu selection is homemade goodness Yoders in Sarasota run by Amish. Its incredible and near the beautiful Siesta Key beach.

Last edited:

FutureCEO

I love Downton Abbey, too. (TV series and movies) As for the Gilded Age, I watched it when I had a free preview last year of some of the series -- really liked it. Just didn't want to subscribe to a bunch of streaming apps, so I did without, once the free preview ended.

Newport is cool -- been there a bunch of times, but not recently. Seen all the mansions (including some of the less publicized ones) more than once. It is a step back in time when you go through those amazing "summer cottages" -- ;)

My friend wanted to buy a house there (on the good side) and I'm like I'm not coming to visit. :hilarious:

donaldtoo

Hope all the Moms here had a great Mother’s Day…!!! :)
Mother-in-law had a pretty fun weekend, considering. On Saturday, Carolyn, Megan, Sarah and our sister-in-law took her to a nearby wine bar. She came back home feelin’ pretty good…!!!!! :cautious::D:hilarious:
Yesterday, Carolyn, myself, BIL and SIL took her to a local Tex-Mex place for lunch, which she really enjoyed…!!! :)
Then, later yesterday afternoon, we took her to my folks to continue celebrating…it was so heartwarming to see her interacting with family (especially Emmy and Audrey), and just enjoying the day…!!!!! :happy:
Also, I am currently on a leave of absence from the firm to take care of her full-time. She’s not yet to the point where she needs hospice for a good portion of the day, but she definitely needs somebody here. She’s almost completely invalid, and needs to be moved from her chair in her room to her bed and back, to the restroom, etc.
I’m, pretty much, the only one strong enough here to do that by myself, on a regular basis.
Fortunately, all her benefits are covered at 100% by the military, and as far as we’re concerned financially, we have plenty of savings for now.
Not exactly how I thought I’d be spending my time these days, but, as I’ve stated before, she’s a very good woman and deserves all we can give her, for as long as we can.

Anyway, again, hope all the Moms here had a great Mother’s Day…!!! :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Mother-in-law had a pretty fun weekend, considering. On Saturday, Carolyn, Megan, Sarah and our sister-in-law took her to a nearby wine bar. She came back home feelin’ pretty good…!!!!! :cautious::D:hilarious:
Yesterday, Carolyn, myself, BIL and SIL took her to a local Tex-Mex place for lunch, which she really enjoyed…!!! :)
Then, later yesterday afternoon, we took her to my folks to continue celebrating…it was so heartwarming to see her interacting with family (especially Emmy and Audrey), and just enjoying the day…!!!!! :happy:
Also, I am currently on a leave of absence from the firm to take care of her full-time. She’s not yet to the point where she needs hospice for a good portion of the day, but she definitely needs somebody here. She’s almost completely invalid, and needs to be moved from her chair in her room to her bed and back, to the restroom, etc.
I’m, pretty much, the only one strong enough here to do that by myself, on a regular basis.
Fortunately, all her benefits are covered at 100% by the military, and as far as we’re concerned financially, we have plenty of savings for now.
Not exactly how I thought I’d be spending my time these days, but, as I’ve stated before, she’s a very good woman and deserves all we can give her, for as long as we can.

That is very kind of you to make care of your mother in law and I'm sure she appreciates it. Be sure to take care of yourself too, it can be stressful being a caretaker even for a loved one.

donaldtoo

That is very kind of you to make care of your mother in law and I'm sure she appreciates it. Be sure to take care of yourself too, it can be stressful being a caretaker even for a loved one.

Thanks, it’s the least we can do, and she definitely deserves and appreciates it.
I was just in the middle of a TSSFFBR when Carolyn called and said I need to get back ASAP, as MIL needed to go to the bathroom (#2).
She doesn’t always tell us and waits, because she doesn’t want to be a bother, then she ends up suffering.
She’s now comfortably watching her baseball game, instead of suffering through it…! :)
And yes, it isn’t easy, but she also just can’t be here by herself all day long.
Everything from making sure she has lunch, to retrieving a dropped phone or TV remote, to making sure she has enough water, etc.
And, of course, it’s only going to get worse for her.
But, it’s worth it to make sure her last months are as comfortable as they possibly can be.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

It's good that you can take a leave of absence, to help assist your MIL at home, during her physical decline. She's fortunate to have family that are able to take her in, to contribute to her quality of life, that is remaining. Best wishes to you and the family, and be sure to give yourself breaks to go out for a change of scenery, etc.

donaldtoo

It's good that you can take a leave of absence, to help assist your MIL at home, during her physical decline. She's fortunate to have family that are able to take her in, to contribute to her quality of life, that is remaining. Best wishes to you and the family, and be sure to give yourself breaks to go out for a change of scenery, etc.

Thanks, Minnie.
It’s just better to have a family member here to attend to her needs than a stranger(s), and she definitely doesn’t want to be in a facility, for as long as it can be helped, anyway.
“They’re” saying she has about 6-8 months to live, at this point, and she’s fully aware.
And, I’m doing fine for now.
Anyway, thanks again…! :)

Lilofan

Thanks, Minnie.
It’s just better to have a family member here to attend to her needs than a stranger(s), and she definitely doesn’t want to be in a facility, for as long as it can be helped, anyway.
“They’re” saying she has about 6-8 months to live, at this point, and she’s fully aware.
And, I’m doing fine for now.
Anyway, thanks again…! :)
You are truly part of the angels on earth as a caregiver. From family experience and am one , a care facility is one of the last places for care of a loved one. We have seen what goes on ( or not go on) in a facility and the results. Some family members cannot take care of their family members ( for reasons ) and at times will not. God is watching all of us .

Last edited:

donaldtoo

You are truly part of the angels on earth as a caregiver. From family experience and am one , a care facility is one of the last places for care of a loved one. We have seen what goes on ( or not go on) in a facility and the results. Some family members cannot take care of their family members ( for reasons ) and at times will not. God is watching all of us .

Thank you for your kind words.
My MIL actually worked in a retirement facility many years ago from about her mid 50’s-mid 60’s.
She was in custodial, so wasn’t involved in direct resident care. It was actually a very nice facility, and the people there were great, but stuff happens so she (and we) wants to put that off as long as is reasonably possible, if at all. She really doesn’t want to pass in a facility or a hospital.
We’re just takin’ it a day at a time, so we’ll see.
Anyway, thanks again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom