The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

93boomer

Premium Member
Freezing Warm Up GIF by MOODMAN

Everyone!

donaldtoo

So, we were reminiscing earlierā€¦
My Pop coached me (and my 2 younger bros, and eventually our lilā€™ sis) in baseball/softball at home and in little league for my first 2 years, and then I went on to the minors in that league.
For the life of me I canā€™t remember that coaches first name, but, he was always known as ā€œPizza Gatesā€, because no matter wether we won or lost, he always took us out after every game for pizza at Shakeyā€™sā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:
Also, he never got angry, he just tried to teach, and everyone played, no matter what.
My Pop was the same way (sans the pizza after every game ;)), he didnā€™t care about championships, he just wanted the kids to have fun, to teach, and everyone played.
Iā€™ll never forget the time a parent came up to my Pop and complained about him playing a kid that wasnā€™t a good player at all. Joey somebody-or-other, IIRC.
My Pop asked that parent calmlyā€¦ ā€œDid his parents pay as much as you did to have their son play baseballā€¦?ā€ The answer from the parent was, of course, yes.
My Pop responded calmlyā€¦ ā€œWell, then as long as Iā€™m the coach of this team, heā€™s going to play.ā€
He never heard a complaint from that parent again.
Men of character and integrityā€¦!!!!! :happy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So, we were reminiscing earlierā€¦
My Pop coached me (and my 2 younger bros, and eventually our lilā€™ sis) in baseball/softball at home and in little league for my first 2 years, and then I went on to the minors in that league.
For the life of me I canā€™t remember that coaches first name, but, he was always known as ā€œPizza Gatesā€, because no matter wether we won or lost, he always took us out after every game for pizza at Shakeyā€™sā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:
Also, he never got angry, he just tried to teach, and everyone played, no matter what.
My Pop was the same way (sans the pizza after every game ;)), he didnā€™t care about championships, he just wanted the kids to have fun, to teach, and everyone played.
Iā€™ll never forget the time a parent came up to my Pop and complained about him playing a kid that wasnā€™t a good player at all. Joey somebody-or-other, IIRC.
My Pop asked that parent calmlyā€¦ ā€œDid his parents pay as much as you did to have their son play baseballā€¦?ā€ The answer from the parent was, of course, yes.
My Pop responded calmlyā€¦ ā€œWell, then as long as Iā€™m the coach of this team, heā€™s going to play.ā€
He never heard a complaint from that parent again.
Men of character and integrityā€¦!!!!! :happy:
Your Pop treated all the players fairly, and that's good. When my two brothers were kids, they both played on the Little League baseball team. One of my brothers was a natural athlete, and the other one was not. Hence, the brother who was not the best player would often end up on the bench, hoping to play, while my other brother played often. I recall my mother telling me this many years ago. (I wish they had a coach that was more similar to your Pop.)

Lilofan

Your Pop treated all the players fairly, and that's good. When my two brothers were kids, they both played on the Little League baseball team. One of my brothers was a natural athlete, and the other one was not. Hence, the brother who was not the best player would often end up on the bench, hoping to play, while my other brother played often. I recall my mother telling me this many years ago. (I wish they had a coach that was more similar to your Pop.)
I played Little League back in the day. Even back in the day mothers and fathers took the games way too seriously. Some even got into yelling matches with the umpires and coaches. We enjoyed just playing baseball with our friends.

donaldtoo

Yea, my Pop is a good man, as was ā€œPizza Gatesā€ (no clue if heā€™s still around). It was about teaching and all the kids having fun.
Too much crap these days from parents trying to make up for their own sports failures of years gone by by pushing their kids, so they can live vicariously through them. Not to mention assaults on coaches, other fans, referees, umpires, etc., these days.
Too many are just off their nut.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom