The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

93boomer

Premium Member
You can have mine. I'm nice like that 😉
Pop Tv Thank You GIF by Schitt's Creek

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@donaldtoo , I'm recording the rest of Mecum through 7 p.m., as I'm off now to make dinner. So many cool vehicles -- my final two favs before I log off: 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS, white, black spoiler, $255,000; and a 1957 Fairlane 500 Sunliner convertible (yellow and white, white walls), for $38,000.

Songbird76

Wow....I'm 20 pages behind!
So, E did a sort of exchange program where she went to Italy back in April and then the Italians were due here this week. There are actually 4 different groups of kids. E's group went to Pistoia, another went somewhere else in Italy, and 2 groups went to Spain. All the kids from those places are here this week. E's Italian group's flight was canceled and they can't get another until MAYBE Tuesday. This whole week, they have activities planned for these foreign kids. Today is a free day because some of the kids were arriving today, some got her yesterday, E's group was supposed to arrive last night in the middle of the night. E and her "twin" were going to stay at a friend's house because we don't have room here and it's a MESS because of the renovations, and with A's autism, it might be rather awkward...Arianna doesn't speak much English and we don't know how much experience she has with Autism. Anyway, so we went to Rick's house on Friday night for dinner so we could see where E and her twin would be sleeping, and to go over the logistics of things like meal planning, etc. The whole week was packed full of activities, so today was the one free day. We were going to take Arianna shopping in Arnhem, then go to a carnival in my In-laws' town, then go out to dinner and then Rick's mom was going to take them all to this party at Fenna's house. Fenna invited ALL of the groups for a party tonight and just told everyone to bring something to drink. (We assume alcohol will be present, even though most of these kids are underage) E wasn't looking forward to it, because it's really not her scene...she doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, and doesn't like crowded places, but her twin really wanted to do things with the whole group, and when she heard about the party, she was all excited, so E and Rick were going to take her for a couple of hours and just leave early.

Tomorrow, they have some activity with the school...I think they were going to a museum in Arnhem, and then in the evening, E's friend group was going to get together and feed their twins traditional dutch foods. Tuesday, they were supposed to go to Amsterdam and wouldn't get back until after 9pm. Wednesday, they have an activity here in town and I think they were supposed to show their twins around and then the evening is free. Thursday they are doing some rock climbing thing, and E's friend group is planning more Dutch stuff. Then Friday, I don't remember what the day activity is, but there's a pot luck dinner for the whole bunch of kids. Then the kids start leaving on Saturday. So today was the only day we had that we got to spend with Arianna and get to do something fun with her. Her family took E to Pisa, and they went to the beach, and all sorts of fun stuff. Arianna's mom cooked traditional Italian meals every night and taught E how to make some. So we really wanted to get to repay Arianna in the same way. So now we don't even know if they are coming at all, and if they do, it's probably not until at least Tuesday, which means IF they come, Wednesday is the only possible day we can take her out to dinner, and we don't really have time for more than that. It's such a bummer!!!

And now I guess Arianna is upset with E for some reason, saying E is repaying her family badly, they treated her like a daughter and did everything for her and now E isn't doing anything for her? But, how can she when she's not HERE? I'm so confused.

Songbird76

Ugh...we have received zero information from the school so far. They didn't even send out an email to the parents to tell them that the Italians' flight had been canceled and that they were working on an alternative. Nothing. Everything has been on whatsapp through the student app group. Not a word to the parents. And barely anything official. E got a whatsapp from Arianna asking if she could come from Tuesday to Tuesday...but the other groups are already here, and all the arrangements have been made for weeks, so they can't just change THOSE plans, and they can't cancel the other groups' plans to accommodate the Pistoia group. And the question came from Arianna, not from the school, which doesn't work.....it's a group thing. They come together, they leave together. Then when E said she didn't know, because she'd have to ask Rick's family if they could host, AND she is supposed to have a very important test on that next Tuesday, she can't miss that. So then Arianna accused her of repaying her family badly for the way they treated her when she was there, and her family did everything to make E feel at home and took her places, and she didn't study for a week so she could take Ella places, and her parents treated her like a daughter, and now you're kicking me out of the house to who knows where, and not doing anything for ME, and doing what I wanted to do, and now they can't leave because E can't host until Tuesday, and none of the other Dutch kids had a problem with it.

Which makes NO sense...no one ASKED Rick's parents if they could host until Tuesday, so where she got the idea that everyone but them was willing, I don't know. But she seems to think this is all E's fault that their flight was cancelled and they can't get another? But their flight back is on Saturday, and as THAT one hasn't been cancelled, they can't just make a new flight reservation for 30 kids. They have to keep that flight, which means they CAN'T stay until Tuesday. How that's E's fault and makes her a bad hostess, I don't know. But she's all mad at E because of how much they did for E when she was there, and she thinks E is not doing enough for HER while she's here....but she's NOT here. I don't get it.

Then the school sent a whatsapp to all the kids saying that the Pistoia group will arrive in Amsterdam on Tuesday morning and leave on Saturday as planned. But still nothing to the parents, and we don't know if they are going to stay in Amsterdam for the day on Tuesday, since that was their day there anyway, or if they will skip the Amsterdam day and come straight here to get settled in and just start up their planned activities starting Wednesday. Not exactly the "internationalizering" they had planned. But I looked at the schedule and their Arnhem day is on Thursday, so they'd still get to see the open air museum, which is the one where they'd see the most of Dutch culture anyway, so that's good.

So DH sends a message to the teachers saying "Um hey, you wanna fill the PARENTS in instead of this all being communicated through the students' whatsapp group??" And the teachers write back that they CAN'T communicate with the parents because it's Sunday, and they don't have access to the school email system outside of the school. Um...WHAT? So you have this MAJOR thing going on, and you have no way to communicate with parents about it when you aren't physically at the school? So if anything happens in the evening or on a weekend, we're just in the dark about it until Monday?? HOW is that ok? I mean, ok, on a normal weekend, no, teachers shouldn't have to be doing work stuff at home. But this isn't a NORMAL weekend. This is a major school event going on here. There's got to be a way to at least send a short email saying "Ok, one group's flight was canceled and they are having problems getting another, and we're working on a solution." If you have to go to the school to send that email, you go to the school to send that email. Then when you have an update, you go back to the school to send that update.

Sorry...I'm more than a little frustrated with E's school, and not just about this, but that's a completely different, and much longer story.

Goofyernmost

10 inches of snow at one time that part of the state would be pretty much shut down. The South cannot deal or cope with snowfall amounts. The Research Triangle were my family had lived had mild winters and had ice storms and freezing temps even when I visited when I lived in 2 hours east. I remember food shopping at Piggly Wiggly and Winn Dixie , good times.
Let's put it this way I was the only car on the unplowed road in the state I think. I suppose there might have been a few more that spent most of their lives in the northeast that didn't have a problem with it, but I didn't see them. It has been at least three years now since the last freezing rain situation. That used to be common but by noon that would be gone. Even that big 10 inch one melted away within two days. The fun thing is that all it takes is no more than 2 inches to shut everything down.

Goofyernmost

Look at it this way . The winter boots and jacket have lasted a long time so they were a great investment 😉
I actually bought a brand new, semi-light weight winter jacket just last week. I have a closet full of jackets but they all have the logos of the place I worked before retirement. I'm going to box them up and donate them to charity. I'm sure some one could find a good use for them.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Ugh...we have received zero information from the school so far. They didn't even send out an email to the parents to tell them that the Italians' flight had been canceled and that they were working on an alternative. Nothing. Everything has been on whatsapp through the student app group. Not a word to the parents. And barely anything official. E got a whatsapp from Arianna asking if she could come from Tuesday to Tuesday...but the other groups are already here, and all the arrangements have been made for weeks, so they can't just change THOSE plans, and they can't cancel the other groups' plans to accommodate the Pistoia group. And the question came from Arianna, not from the school, which doesn't work.....it's a group thing. They come together, they leave together. Then when E said she didn't know, because she'd have to ask Rick's family if they could host, AND she is supposed to have a very important test on that next Tuesday, she can't miss that. So then Arianna accused her of repaying her family badly for the way they treated her when she was there, and her family did everything to make E feel at home and took her places, and she didn't study for a week so she could take Ella places, and her parents treated her like a daughter, and now you're kicking me out of the house to who knows where, and not doing anything for ME, and doing what I wanted to do, and now they can't leave because E can't host until Tuesday, and none of the other Dutch kids had a problem with it.

Which makes NO sense...no one ASKED Rick's parents if they could host until Tuesday, so where she got the idea that everyone but them was willing, I don't know. But she seems to think this is all E's fault that their flight was cancelled and they can't get another? But their flight back is on Saturday, and as THAT one hasn't been cancelled, they can't just make a new flight reservation for 30 kids. They have to keep that flight, which means they CAN'T stay until Tuesday. How that's E's fault and makes her a bad hostess, I don't know. But she's all mad at E because of how much they did for E when she was there, and she thinks E is not doing enough for HER while she's here....but she's NOT here. I don't get it.

Then the school sent a whatsapp to all the kids saying that the Pistoia group will arrive in Amsterdam on Tuesday morning and leave on Saturday as planned. But still nothing to the parents, and we don't know if they are going to stay in Amsterdam for the day on Tuesday, since that was their day there anyway, or if they will skip the Amsterdam day and come straight here to get settled in and just start up their planned activities starting Wednesday. Not exactly the "internationalizering" they had planned. But I looked at the schedule and their Arnhem day is on Thursday, so they'd still get to see the open air museum, which is the one where they'd see the most of Dutch culture anyway, so that's good.

So DH sends a message to the teachers saying "Um hey, you wanna fill the PARENTS in instead of this all being communicated through the students' whatsapp group??" And the teachers write back that they CAN'T communicate with the parents because it's Sunday, and they don't have access to the school email system outside of the school. Um...WHAT? So you have this MAJOR thing going on, and you have no way to communicate with parents about it when you aren't physically at the school? So if anything happens in the evening or on a weekend, we're just in the dark about it until Monday?? HOW is that ok? I mean, ok, on a normal weekend, no, teachers shouldn't have to be doing work stuff at home. But this isn't a NORMAL weekend. This is a major school event going on here. There's got to be a way to at least send a short email saying "Ok, one group's flight was canceled and they are having problems getting another, and we're working on a solution." If you have to go to the school to send that email, you go to the school to send that email. Then when you have an update, you go back to the school to send that update.

Sorry...I'm more than a little frustrated with E's school, and not just about this, but that's a completely different, and much longer story.

Such a messed up situation and too bad for the kids the exchange thing sounds neat.

But first of all that Arianna girl seems like a brat. I remember you talking about her before and now with this situation she seems even more bratish.

Second of all I’m a teacher that doesn’t not check their email after school is done for the day or on weekends. But there are occasions when I know something big is coming or if I’m chaperoning after school that I leave it open on my phone. If there is a school event or something big happening like your exchange thing the people in charge should be checking email or have an easy way to be contacted. Plus not being able to check your email except if they are at school seems to be complete bull poo to me. I’m not a tech person but I think all email can be accessed through the internet maybe through a website or app. If not it isn’t a good system. It seems like someone should be letting parents and hosts know what is going on.

Lilofan

I actually bought a brand new, semi-light weight winter jacket just last week. I have a closet full of jackets but they all have the logos of the place I worked before retirement. I'm going to box them up and donate them to charity. I'm sure some one could find a good use for them.
Giving to homeless shelters is a good thing. I also helped out one homeless guy and his dog. He frequented daily a particular intersection near my home panhandling for change. I gave him coupons to Wendy's McDonalds and Burger King. He was very happy when I gave it to him.

Songbird76

Such a messed up situation and too bad for the kids the exchange thing sounds neat.

But first of all that Arianna girl seems like a brat. I remember you talking about her before and now with this situation she seems even more bratish.

Second of all I’m a teacher that doesn’t not check their email after school is done for the day or on weekends. But there are occasions when I know something big is coming or if I’m chaperoning after school that I leave it open on my phone. If there is a school event or something big happening like your exchange thing the people in charge should be checking email or have an easy way to be contacted. Plus not being able to check your email except if they are at school seems to be complete bull poo to me. I’m not a tech person but I think all email can be accessed through the internet maybe through a website or app. If not it isn’t a good system. It seems like someone should be letting parents and hosts know what is going on.
Yeah, we were so glad E got to go to Italy, and Arianna's family really was so great to her. E was recovering from some bug and was coughing up a storm. Arianna's parents went out and got meds for her. The mom asked her what she liked to eat and made stuff especially for her every night and taught her how to make a few things. They asked her what she wanted to see and took her out to places like Pisa...they really did treat her like a daughter. Her little brother even gave her a flower...he's like 7 and very shy and E said it was so sweet that he came and brought her this flower and tried to speak a little English. And Arianna was fine while they were in Italy. The first night she was there, she said they were going to walk around Pistoia in the evening. E figured it would be looking at some of the sites there, like the Duomo and whatnot, but when they got there, it turned out to be a group of like 100 teens drinking and smoking. E said she was very very uncomfortable. We've always told her she's allowed to go to parties, and of course we'd rather she didn't drink, but we also undserstand peer pressure and how it can be really hard when your friends are calling you a wuss or whatever, so if she's ever in a situation where she's not comfortable, call us and we'll come get her. And if she DOES end up drinking, we'd rather she call us to come get her than that she tries to ride her bike home and have something bad happen. We might have a discussion in the morning if she was drinking when she shouldn't be, but that we'd come get her and wouldn't fly off the handle. The drinking age used to be 16 and they upped it to 18 a few years ago. She's not at all interested in that dynamic. One of their friends actually had two birthday parties....one for the kids who drink and party and one for E's friend group, because they don't. (He practically lives in Germany where the drinking age is 16, so he's allowed) E was like "The first time I'm in a situation that's uncomfortable, and I'm in a foreign country away from my parents so I CAN'T call them." So she told Arianna she was uncomfortable, and they left. E thought she was ok with it, but since now she mentioned in her message that she did everything E wanted to do and they left when she wanted to, etc. it seems like she wasn't as ok with it as she seemed. She was like "I spent so much money on you to do things you wanted to do, and I didn't study for a whole week so I could take you places, and you are repaying my family very badly. They treated you like a daughter!" So she's obviously very upset that it didn't go the way she wanted in Italy, and while she didn't say anything in Italy, now that she's not getting her way, she's throwing a fit and blaming it on E. Very immature.

And yes, that's exactly how I feel about the school. I totally understand teachers unplugging on the weekend...it's their own time and they shouldn't have to deal with school stuff. But this is a special event, and the kids normally wouldn't be required to handle school stuff on a weekend either. It's their free time, too. But for special events like that, there has to be an exception....it's one week out of the school year, and this is a school event that they are required to attend. Even the kids who didn't go anywhere on exchange still have to participate in the activities because they have no normal school for this week, but those kids can't just stay home the whole week because of attendance laws. So they have to participate in these activities outside of school hours as well....going to Amsterdam from early morning until after 9pm...you're telling me that if something happens to them in Amsterdam that they won't be able to notify parents because they won't have access to the email because they are not at the school?? I find that hard to believe. As long as they are requiring the kids to participate in these activities, they are responsible for the kids during that time. We are entrusting our kids to the school during that time....and the school has no way to contact parents if something happens? That can't be true! If it is, I'm VERY uncomfortable with that.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Wow....I'm 20 pages behind!
So, E did a sort of exchange program where she went to Italy back in April and then the Italians were due here this week. There are actually 4 different groups of kids. E's group went to Pistoia, another went somewhere else in Italy, and 2 groups went to Spain. All the kids from those places are here this week. E's Italian group's flight was canceled and they can't get another until MAYBE Tuesday. This whole week, they have activities planned for these foreign kids. Today is a free day because some of the kids were arriving today, some got her yesterday, E's group was supposed to arrive last night in the middle of the night. E and her "twin" were going to stay at a friend's house because we don't have room here and it's a MESS because of the renovations, and with A's autism, it might be rather awkward...Arianna doesn't speak much English and we don't know how much experience she has with Autism. Anyway, so we went to Rick's house on Friday night for dinner so we could see where E and her twin would be sleeping, and to go over the logistics of things like meal planning, etc. The whole week was packed full of activities, so today was the one free day. We were going to take Arianna shopping in Arnhem, then go to a carnival in my In-laws' town, then go out to dinner and then Rick's mom was going to take them all to this party at Fenna's house. Fenna invited ALL of the groups for a party tonight and just told everyone to bring something to drink. (We assume alcohol will be present, even though most of these kids are underage) E wasn't looking forward to it, because it's really not her scene...she doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, and doesn't like crowded places, but her twin really wanted to do things with the whole group, and when she heard about the party, she was all excited, so E and Rick were going to take her for a couple of hours and just leave early.

Tomorrow, they have some activity with the school...I think they were going to a museum in Arnhem, and then in the evening, E's friend group was going to get together and feed their twins traditional dutch foods. Tuesday, they were supposed to go to Amsterdam and wouldn't get back until after 9pm. Wednesday, they have an activity here in town and I think they were supposed to show their twins around and then the evening is free. Thursday they are doing some rock climbing thing, and E's friend group is planning more Dutch stuff. Then Friday, I don't remember what the day activity is, but there's a pot luck dinner for the whole bunch of kids. Then the kids start leaving on Saturday. So today was the only day we had that we got to spend with Arianna and get to do something fun with her. Her family took E to Pisa, and they went to the beach, and all sorts of fun stuff. Arianna's mom cooked traditional Italian meals every night and taught E how to make some. So we really wanted to get to repay Arianna in the same way. So now we don't even know if they are coming at all, and if they do, it's probably not until at least Tuesday, which means IF they come, Wednesday is the only possible day we can take her out to dinner, and we don't really have time for more than that. It's such a bummer!!!

And now I guess Arianna is upset with E for some reason, saying E is repaying her family badly, they treated her like a daughter and did everything for her and now E isn't doing anything for her? But, how can she when she's not HERE? I'm so confused.
Monsters Inc Hug GIF
good luck. How is your job going?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom