The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
Ice is the worst! Give me snow over that, any day. We have had lots of sunshine here, the past 2 days, but indoor recess for the kiddies at work. It looks like the windchill will get above zero today. A whopping 9 degrees by lunch. The supervisors, and more than a few kids are going to hate me today. Oh well, district makes the rules, not me!
Stay safe and warm my friend

donaldtoo

Ice is the worst! Give me snow over that, any day. We have had lots of sunshine here, the past 2 days, but indoor recess for the kiddies at work. It looks like the windchill will get above zero today. A whopping 9 degrees by lunch. The supervisors, and more than a few kids are going to hate me today. Oh well, district makes the rules, not me!

Yep, snow over ice all day long…!
At least you can drive (carefully) in snow.
At one point yesterday mornin’, there were more than 50 traffic accidents. Today, folks are pretty much hunkerin’ down, and the roads here are pretty empty.
North Texas is gettin’ it really bad though, to the point where they’re calling Dallas “Dallaska”…!!!!! :hilarious:😂🤣:hilarious:

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Boss: Proceed on this team call without me and discuss what you need to among yourselves.
The topic of the meeting:
Sheldon Cooper Reaction GIF by CBS

Goofyernmost

My Sorcerer Mickey antenna topper a coupla’ hours ago…!!! :coldfeet::cold::hilarious:

View attachment 695942
Ice just brought down a branch from one of the big oaks across the street. It was loud, even inside the house…!!! :in pain:

View attachment 695941
Reminds me to the major Ice storm we had in Vermont and upper New York State and Quebec back in the 90's. Some people were without power for weeks. It even knocked down some huge metal high power lines in Quebec. Trees down everywhere. Didn't lose any pine trees in my yard, but did bend them clean down to the ground or at least pointing straight down. You could hear wood cracking almost constantly. After about 3 days it went above freezing and then you could hear ice dropping from the branches and since the ends of the branches were frozen onto the ground when those finally let loose it was something to watch those branches release back up throwing more ice off to the ground.

We were lucky. The power in our small area came back on after about 8 hours. At the time I had a woodstove in the basement and I had built a cover and connected it to the hot air pipes because during the oil embargo I heated the house with that stove. I even installed a small fan in the opening to force warm air up to the main floor and that kept us fairly warm for most of the time it was off. We also cooked dinner on the wood stove top. When we were finally able to get out it looked like a war zone all around us. Just one of the many reasons I hate winter. Yes, we get ice storms around here and as usual it stops everything but it warms up quickly and any power losses are usually taken care of fairly quickly. Back when I was driving bus, you can just imagine my joy at the possibility of that happening at any time, unless it was below zero and just was a different set of problems.

donaldtoo

Reminds me to the major Ice storm we had in Vermont and upper New York State and Quebec back in the 90's. Some people were without power for weeks. It even knocked down some huge metal high power lines in Quebec. Trees down everywhere. Didn't lose any pine trees in my yard, but did bend them clean down to the ground or at least pointing straight down. You could hear wood cracking almost constantly. After about 3 days it went above freezing and then you could hear ice dropping from the branches and since the ends of the branches were frozen onto the ground when those finally let loose it was something to watch those branches release back up throwing more ice off to the ground.

We were lucky. The power in our small area came back on after about 8 hours. At the time I had a woodstove in the basement and I had built a cover and connected it to the hot air pipes because during the oil embargo I heated the house with that stove. I even installed a small fan in the opening to force warm air up to the main floor and that kept us fairly warm for most of the time it was off. We also cooked dinner on the wood stove top. When we were finally able to get out it looked like a war zone all around us. Just one of the many reasons I hate winter. Yes, we get ice storms around here and as usual it stops everything but it warms up quickly and any power losses are usually taken care of fairly quickly. Back when I was driving bus, you can just imagine my joy at the possibility of that happening at any time, unless it was below zero and just was a different set of problems.

When we first moved into this house back in ‘89, it abutted a small 35 acre ranch (now a housing development), owned by a Mr. R. W. Hoover. He had already sold tons of land he owned in the area over the years, but, kept those 35 acres to live on.
In the mid 90’s, we had a winter storm similar to this one (we’ve had several, actually). I remember standing outside at one point for about 20 mins. and seeing and hearing branches come down all over that property.
A coupla’ weeks later I was outside when he was cruisin’ his property on his little 4-wheeler. He asked me (we actually spoke often when he would be riding around) if we needed any firewood.
I filled my metal shed with that wood, and, of course, there were still acres and acres of it left.
Miss that guy as a neighbor…!!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom