The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks.
The manufacture date is 10/02, so it’s, essentially, a 20-year-old car.
Although I’m not the original owner, I’ve had it for about 8 years now.
And, as I’ve posted before, it was given to us. My Pop did a favor for a friend, and the guy insisted Pop take his daughters old car that they had just replaced with a new one. It was about the same time my ‘95 5-speed Hyundai Accent was crappin’ out, and Mom and Pop had no use for the car, so they asked us if we wanted it…sure, free car…!!!!! :hilarious:
I figured it would, maybe, be about 2 years before it would reach that crossover point where a payment on another used vehicle would be less than the total yearly repair costs, but, so far, it hasn’t gotten even worrisome close. It just keeps truckin’. Aesthetically/cosmetically, it has some issues, but, these days I really don’t care and just need transportation from point A to B and back.
It has had 3 fuel pumps replaced since I’ve owned it, but, the last 2 were replaced free, as they were still under warranty.
After the first one failed, it was explained to me that it had a plastic impeller that deteriorates over time, and it just disintegrated….!!!!! 🤣
Not sure what made the other 2 fail, as I never asked, but, if it was deteriorating plastic impellers again, certain folks need to go back to engineering school to learn about more durable materials, and not even much more expensive ones, to stop the free warranty replacement bleeding…!!!!! :hilarious:
I’m easy on brakes, so the ones I personally replaced a while back should last a good while longer. Plus, all 4 tires still have plenty of tread…!!! :)
That's some good mechanical know-how on your part. I could relate to some of the things you mentioned above (not that I ever fixed anything on a car--others did). But, up in the 20-year range, it gets "interesting", to say the least, as that was our previous car's age. ;)

And as much as I like our new (2022) leased car, I do sometimes miss the "challenge" of the pep talk, etc., that I'd have to give the old car, just to start up. I'd turn the key in the ignition, and say, "C'mon car! C;mon car!" and it (usually ;) ) would start up! :p

donaldtoo

Good to hear that you got some much-needed rain for your area.

No rain up here, but one good thing: it was 47 degrees at 5 AM!! Woo hoo!!! My kind of weather!! 🥰

Thanks, Minnie…!!! :)
Yes, it was nice to hear the much-needed downpour last night. Not yet sure how much we got, but, it was really comin’ down out there…!!! :)

IIRC, yesterday at this time it was 78 degrees here, so we’ve cooled down substantially, too…enjoy your cool…!!! :)

963889F3-CC92-4C05-A410-4A7061E6267F.jpeg

donaldtoo

That's some good mechanical know-how on your part. I could relate to some of the things you mentioned above (not that I ever fixed anything on a car--others did). But, up in the 20-year range, it gets "interesting", to say the least, as that was our previous car's age. ;)

And as much as I like our new (2022) leased car, I do sometimes miss the "challenge" of the pep talk, etc., that I'd have to give the old car, just to start up. I'd turn the key in the ignition, and say, "C'mon car! C;mon car!" and it (usually ;) ) would start up! :p

Thank you, Minnie…!!! :)
Yep, no matter how well you take care of ‘em, time has other ideas…unless you’re willing to go beyond needed maintenance, just to keep the car on the road, to more restorative measures, they will, eventually, reach the point where they need to be replaced.
I’m notorious for drivin’ ‘em ‘til they drop…!!!!! :hilarious:

Lilofan

Thanks.
The manufacture date is 10/02, so it’s, essentially, a 20-year-old car.
Although I’m not the original owner, I’ve had it for about 8 years now.
And, as I’ve posted before, it was given to us. My Pop did a favor for a friend, and the guy insisted Pop take his daughters old car that they had just replaced with a new one. It was about the same time my ‘95 5-speed Hyundai Accent was crappin’ out, and Mom and Pop had no use for the car, so they asked us if we wanted it…sure, free car…!!!!! :hilarious:
I figured it would, maybe, be about 2 years before it would reach that crossover point where a payment on another used vehicle would be less than the total yearly repair costs, but, so far, it hasn’t gotten even worrisome close. It just keeps truckin’. Aesthetically/cosmetically, it has some issues, but, these days I really don’t care and just need transportation from point A to B and back.
It has had 3 fuel pumps replaced since I’ve owned it, but, the last 2 were replaced free, as they were still under warranty.
After the first one failed, it was explained to me that it had a plastic impeller that deteriorates over time, and it just disintegrated….!!!!! 🤣
Not sure what made the other 2 fail, as I never asked, but, if it was deteriorating plastic impellers again, certain folks need to go back to engineering school to learn about more durable materials, and not even much more expensive ones, to stop the free warranty replacement bleeding…!!!!! :hilarious:
I’m easy on brakes, so the ones I personally replaced a while back should last a good while longer. Plus, all 4 tires still have plenty of tread…!!! :)

C'mon car is when I drove a 1975 Chevy Monza 2+2 hatchback no AC , carburetor , if I pumped the gas pedal too much I would flood the engine . Then came modern fuel injection.

Goofyernmost

A few years before my retirement I bought my dream car. It was a 2005 Cadillac DLS. It only had 21K miles on it and came with a 100K mile, 10 year bumper to bumper warrantee. I intended to buy a quality car that with care would last my retirement. It had every possible "extra" on it which my grandkids loved (so did I), It drove like it was on a cloud and for a big V-8 Northstar engine it gave me almost 30 mpg on a road trip. I reached the warrantee end at 100K. After that it wasn't to bad, but parts were expensive and under the hood was so complex that my limited mechanical talents led me to just not touch it. I made 8 round trips from Vt. to NC just to find an apartment and visiting my family. It got to 140K and on my way back from my 50th HS reunion in Vt. it started to overheat just south of West Virginia.

After an emergency stop at a dealer they replaced the thermostat and that got me home,. After that it over heated more and more often. I finally took it in for a diagnoses and it was determined that not one but both head gaskets had quit their job and the dealer would happy to fix it for just a little over $6000.00 dollars. At this time the car was 11 years old and every bell and whistle on the car worked perfectly. The interior and exterior was pristine, even the original exhaust system was still shiny. It now blue booked for $900.00, so it was stupid to sink another six grand in it so I sold it for a $1000.00 and leased a new car.

I still miss my Cadillac but by now I would have been bankrupt just in repairs. As a note, my previous car had been a 1998 Cadillac Deville that I bought at a car auction. That was a good car but by coincidence, I assume, while on a trip to WDW it also had a head gasket blow while in Kissimmee. Another 2 grand just to get home. I just thought of that as a fluke and never expected it to happen again, I just did a quick check on my Quickin program and from April 2011 to Sept. 2016 I spent over $10,000.00 on repairs. Now I wish I just had that repair money back. No fool like and old fool they say.

Last edited:

Songbird76

Disney does an excellent job of dealing with allergies for the most part. We've had a chef come to our table because we have several people with allergies and they're all a bit different and you can have items left off the table but not out of the entire restaurant, for example CHH has a sign warning about seafood allergies
In our district they have a peanut free zone in every lunch room
Yeah, but I remember you saying there were some places where you didn't trust that there wouldn't be some cross contamination, so you wouldn't eat there. I just wondered to what extent that is an abundance of caution, and to what extent it's been a real problem. Like you said, they can't leave ingredients out of an entire restaurant.

But I'm glad to here your schools have peanut free zones, but not necessarily banning peanut products altogether. That seems much more logical. There's got to be a happy medium, where picky eaters can have their food, but kids with allergies are safe from triggers.

Patcheslee

A few years before my retirement I bought my dream car. It was a 2005 Cadillac DLS. It only had 21K miles on it and came with a 100K mile, 10 year bumper to bumper warrantee. I intended to buy a quality car that with care would last my retirement. It had every possible "extra" on it which my grandkids loved (so did I), It drove like it was on a cloud and for a big V-8 Northstar engine it gave me almost 30 mpg on a road trip. I reached the warrantee end at 100K. After that it wasn't to bad, but parts were expensive and under the hood was so complex that my limited mechanical talents led me to just not touch it. I made 8 round trips from Vt. to NC just to find an apartment and visiting my family. It got to 140K and on my way back from my 50th HS reunion in Vt. it started to overheat just south of West Virginia.

After an emergency stop at a dealer they replaced the thermostat and that got me home,. After that it over heated more and more often. I finally took it in for a diagnoses and it was determined that not one but both head gaskets had quit their job and the dealer would happy to fix it for just a little over $6000.00 dollars. At this time the car was 11 years old and every bell and whistle on the car worked perfectly. The interior and exterior was pristine, even the original exhaust system was still shiny. It now blue booked for $900.00, so it was stupid to sink another six grand in it so I sold it for a $1000.,00 and leased a new car.

I still miss my Cadillac but by now I would have been bankrupt just in repairs. As a note, my previous car had been a 1998 Cadillac Deville that I bought at a car auction. That was a good car but by coincidence, I assume, while on a trip to WDW it also had a head gasket blow while in Kissimmee. Another 2 grand just to get home. I just thought of that as a fluke and never expected it to happen again, I just did a quick check on my Quickin program and from April 2011 to Sept. 2016 I spent over $10,000.00 on repairs. Now I wish I just had that repair money back. No fool like and old fool they say.
DD13 had a 76 Mustang willed to her from her uncle when she was 5. Her dad and grandparents are in the process of finding out what work needs done to restore. Her grandma has a 67? think it is "Hertz Special" that will be passed to her.

Songbird76

Pineapple is my big trigger, so I try to avoid that one as much as possible. I can taste it in the air when it's fresh; it's like a metallic taste, and I will react. If it's baked into something, I can be near it, but I have to be careful about it being on the same surface as my food.

I didn't develop my allergies until middle school, so my friends just always knew no pineapple or peanuts. The tables were big enough that if one of them brought a PB&J sandwich, they just wouldn't sit next to me that day. There was a kid a few years ahead of me who was so allergic to peanuts that they had to ban it from the lunchroom when he ate in there. There is a thing called soy nut butter that tastes almost exactly like peanut butter. I used to take it for lunch and that's what a lot of parents subbed.

At work, I usually ate by myself (I've never worked someplace with set lunch times; everyone eats when it's convenient for them). I usually chose to eat at my desk, but if I wasn't, I wiped down the surface of where I was eating. I don't think I've ever had it happen where someone was eating nuts in my vicinity at work. Where I used to work, we had a cafeteria, and there were no nuts (other than the people who worked there...😁)

Speaking of eating out, you'd be surprised at how many places are nut-free or only have nuts in the desserts. With places that have nuts, I make a decision on how many items have nuts and what type of nuts are back there. I'm less allergic to tree nuts than peanuts, so Panera is okay, but I avoid Five Guys and Chick Fil A. I avoid Asian places because they tend to have a lot of nuts and the staff tends to not speak English well enough to communicate my needs. The exception is Japanese places similar to Tepoan Edo because they tend to be nut free and have English speaking staff as well, and my local Chinese place because I know the owner.

I never have problems at Disney-operated restaurants; in fact, Disney has literally won awards for how they handle food allergies. We do skip some places if there's too much that I'm allergic to on the menu. You gave Ohana as an example; we don't eat there because there's too much pineapple on that menu. We eat an Kona instead.

The quick service place in AK was the QS Yak and Yeti location. I've had trouble there; I'm thinking because there's pineapple back there. I don't have any trouble at the sit down Yak and Yeti. Neither are operated by Disney. I prefer to stick with the QS locations that are either operated by Disney or don't have stuff I'm allergic to in the back. The only place in Disney that's sometimes problematic is Poly. Breakfast at Captain Cook's is 100% fine. For lunch, I usually go to the DVC pool bar. I prefer their menu anyway, and they don't have stuff back there that I'm allergic to.

Sometimes I encounter stuff that I'm allergic to when other people are eating it, and in that case, I try to move myself if possible. I was at a baseball game, and the wind was blowing and there were peanut shells from someone nearby that blew in my face. I put on a mask and switched seats. Another time a lady was next to me and outright asked me if I was allergic to peanuts. She switched seats with a family member, which was very nice of her.

The place that's occasionally hard is planes. I always inform the airline that I have a peanut allergy, I wipe down my seating area, (which everyone should do IMO, those places are gross), and usually they make an announcement. One time though, I had to ask the guy sitting next to me not to eat the peanuts he'd brought with him on the flight. It was only a two hour flight and Southwest provides pretzels. I always tell people bring other snacks on flights because it's the one time when those of us with nut allergies can't move ourselves away, and you risk us having to use our Epi Pens in the air, which then means the flight has to divert to go to a hospital, which then inconveniences everyone... it's just the one place not to bring nuts (other than your family members).
Yeah, I wondered about 'Ohana for you. That DOES have a lot of pineapple. I personally can't STAND pineapple....I think it's disgusting, but I don't have an allergy to it, so I can just skip the foods that have pineapple on it, but it would be harder for you where it can contaminate your food.

We went to Dublin a few years ago, and we had a large group. We ate at this place that was all-you-can-eat, but it was one of those places where you choose your food and then stand and watch as it's being cooked. But they had these big, round, rotating hotplates, and everyone stands around that hotplate and moves alongside as it rotates, and it gets cooked as you walk along. But the "chefs" use these long blade-like dividers to scrape the food along. There's NO way to keep food from contaminating others'. I saw so many things get into another person's food...the person next to them has carrots, and the chef misses one carrot slice as they scrape, and it ends up in the next person's food. And they had shrimp, they had beef, chicken, pork, all sorts of seasonings and sauces. If there was anything you were allergic to, there would be no way to ensure it didn't end up in your food. The hot plate doesn't actually get cleaned in between cooking....it's constantly rotating and when enough space opens up, they put the next person's food on there. It gets scraped, but not cleaned. I was glad we had no allergies, but it was just a terrible meal. Everything was overcooked by the time it got to the plating section, and your food had mingled with whatever the person next to you had, plus whatever was on that section before your food, so it never tasted right. Nasty! And a complete nightmare for anyone with allergies.

E's developed an allergy to kiwi in the last couple of years. She never had problems with it when she was younger, but now her tongue starts to tingle and swell a bit if she eats it, and we've heard allergies can strengthen over time, so she stopped eating kiwi altogether, because who knows if it would get really bad. Sad, because she really likes kiwi. But she has no problem being around it. She doesn't react unless she eats it herself...at least not at this point.

Songbird76

I was on the phone with my parents today and my doorbell rang and they asked if I was going to answer and I'm like I don't answer the doorbell

I only answer if I've ordered something and know it's supposed to be delivered that day. Otherwise I just ignore it. Of course, we don't have a bell. The electrician we hired when we moved into this house was a family friend, and he turned out to be a big mistake. He spent an entire day on just hooking up the doorbell and still couldn't get it to work. 8 hours of work and still no sound came out of it. Who knows what the problem is, but we weren't going to pay him to spend the time to figure it out. So we have no doorbell. Now I have the excuse that "Oh, sorry, I didn't hear anyone knock."

Patcheslee

I only answer if I've ordered something and know it's supposed to be delivered that day. Otherwise I just ignore it. Of course, we don't have a bell. The electrician we hired when we moved into this house was a family friend, and he turned out to be a big mistake. He spent an entire day on just hooking up the doorbell and still couldn't get it to work. 8 hours of work and still no sound came out of it. Who knows what the problem is, but we weren't going to pay him to spend the time to figure it out. So we have no doorbell. Now I have the excuse that "Oh, sorry, I didn't hear anyone knock."
We got a Bluetooth enabled doorbell for kicks, i.e. no wiring involved cause I don't play well with shocks. It can play any MP3 you upload. Kinda fun to change things once in awhile lol

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Noone can abuse that anymore. RCCL applied limits.
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

People will find work arounds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom