The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

People will find work arounds.
That is true! XD
edleonardo.gif

Lilofan

A few years before my retirement I bought my dream car. It was a 2005 Cadillac DLS. It only had 21K miles on it and came with a 100K mile, 10 year bumper to bumper warrantee. I intended to buy a quality car that with care would last my retirement. It had every possible "extra" on it which my grandkids loved (so did I), It drove like it was on a cloud and for a big V-8 Northstar engine it gave me almost 30 mpg on a road trip. I reached the warrantee end at 100K. After that it wasn't to bad, but parts were expensive and under the hood was so complex that my limited mechanical talents led me to just not touch it. I made 8 round trips from Vt. to NC just to find an apartment and visiting my family. It got to 140K and on my way back from my 50th HS reunion in Vt. it started to overheat just south of West Virginia.

After an emergency stop at a dealer they replaced the thermostat and that got me home,. After that it over heated more and more often. I finally took it in for a diagnoses and it was determined that not one but both head gaskets had quit their job and the dealer would happy to fix it for just a little over $6000.00 dollars. At this time the car was 11 years old and every bell and whistle on the car worked perfectly. The interior and exterior was pristine, even the original exhaust system was still shiny. It now blue booked for $900.00, so it was stupid to sink another six grand in it so I sold it for a $1000.,00 and leased a new car.

I still miss my Cadillac but by now I would have been bankrupt just in repairs. As a note, my previous car had been a 1998 Cadillac Deville that I bought at a car auction. That was a good car but by coincidence, I assume, while on a trip to WDW it also had a head gasket blow while in Kissimmee. Another 2 grand just to get home. I just thought of that as a fluke and never expected it to happen again, I just did a quick check on my Quickin program and from April 2011 to Sept. 2016 I spent over $10,000.00 on repairs. Now I wish I just had that repair money back. No fool like and old fool they say.
My friends 1980s brand new Dodge Aries K car lasted about a year until he traded in. The first week, the passenger door fell off when attempting to open it by the passenger

Tony the Tigger

Wooooooohoooooo. September cruises are the best.
All the extra excitement of a possible hurricane!
Current Status: Salivating at the prospect of someone taking a cruiser and then finding that he can't no longer afford Disney Cruises because they are so overpriced now.

Gotta be RCL from now on :p
With our FL discount, the 4 night Bahamian is $1426 for a room with a verandah. That cost will be completely covered by Disney Chase Visa points! As will our on board drinks, upgrade dinners, purchases, etc. Total cost: $0.
Current status: wishing I could go on a cruise without risking motion sickness. 🤢
We are bringing stuff just in case - Dramamine, Sea Bands, etc.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yeah, but I remember you saying there were some places where you didn't trust that there wouldn't be some cross contamination, so you wouldn't eat there. I just wondered to what extent that is an abundance of caution, and to what extent it's been a real problem. Like you said, they can't leave ingredients out of an entire restaurant.

But I'm glad to here your schools have peanut free zones, but not necessarily banning peanut products altogether. That seems much more logical. There's got to be a happy medium, where picky eaters can have their food, but kids with allergies are safe from triggers.
We avoid Via Napoli as of the last I heard it's still one to avoid if you have gluten issues, dh avoids CHH due to seafood we've only had 2 bad experiences Sci Fi and GG. Sci fi was before the allergy menus came out and GG seemed to be out of some of the gf offerings when we were there

Goofyernmost

My friends 1980s brand new Dodge Aries K car lasted about a year until he traded in. The first week, the passenger door fell off when attempting to open it by the passenger
Yea, I remember some of that stuff, but by contrast I owned two K cars and they were among the best cars I ever owned. Besides a K car didn't cost $55000. in 2005 numbers. $80,600. in todays money should last forever.

Patcheslee

Not wanting to brag but so far, I have survived not one, but two Tornado watches in the same number of weeks. One of them accompanied by a power outage so I couldn't follow it on TV. But I'm sure it must have come close (just a feeling). 🌪️🌪️;)
Where you at for weather? It's been interesting past couple weeks here.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

My first car was a Dodge Aries, it was a 1987. It ran until the fall of 2000 and hardly had any problems. Finally traded it in because the floor in the drivers area was starting to rust out and had developed a hole, that my dad patched up with a board for awhile. I really loved that car.

I want to say mine was a little lighter blue, but wasn't she purrty?! ;):)
1653519978678.png

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
All the extra excitement of a possible hurricane!

With our FL discount, the 4 night Bahamian is $1426 for a room with a verandah. That cost will be completely covered by Disney Chase Visa points! As will our on board drinks, upgrade dinners, purchases, etc. Total cost: $0.

We are bringing stuff just in case - Dramamine, Sea Bands, etc.

My husband gets motion sickness but he never had a problem with sea sickness on the Dream. I think he took Dramamine the first night just in case but not any other time on the 3 cruises we took. I didn't have a problem either but I don't get motion sick. But it is good to be prepared. I think the ship's dr will give you dramamine for free so if you don't normally use it you could save the $$.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Hey folks, anyone got any good recommendation for Los Angeles budget hotels? We're planning in taking a long panama cruise. And it starts from Los Angeles.

It will also end in New Orleans. Any recommendations there?
(I'm checking Tripadvisor already)

I've only stayed in Anaheim in LA. Will you be making a side trip to Disneyland?

The only time I went to New Orleans, the hotel was booked for me (as part of the convention) so I didn't have a choice. But I liked it and would look into it again as it was on the edge of the French Quarter but not in the party atmosphere. https://www.lepavillon.com/

Goofyernmost

Where you at for weather? It's been interesting past couple weeks here.
It's been a mix of sun, heat, storms and humidity. We had two quick but powerful storms come through. Sideways rain, trees bent over but passed over really quick. Those two storms came with the Tornado watch. Saturday it hit 98 degrees, to day it was 60 at about 10am. It's been all over the place. Durham got the worst of it, with trees down everywhere. Today was cool, but quiet.

wdwfan4ver

Not drinking any wine today. I think Mother's Day meal was the last time in a while for drinking wine and shouldn't be a surprised.

This reminds me of 2 things starting with one of Wheel of Fortune's infamous wrong answers:

The 2nd thing is Door County has a wine Festival next month on the 25th though although I wouldn't be there. Basically people have to get tickets for the wine festival and it runs from noon to 4:00 p.m. The organizers have 8 Door County Wineries at the festival and people are able to sample all the wine they want from noon to 4:00 p.m. at a tasting tent. That festival does have 4 food food vendors. There also will be music there. I don't know what wines that will be there, but Door County is known for fruit wines including apple & cherry.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Not drinking any wine today. I think Mother's Day meal was the last time in a while for drinking wine and shouldn't be a surprised.

This reminds me of 2 things starting with one of Wheel of Fortune's infamous wrong answers:

The 2nd thing is Door County has a wine Festival next month on the 25th though although I wouldn't be there. Basically people have to get tickets for the wine festival and it runs from noon to 4:00 p.m. The organizers have 8 Door County Wineries at the festival and people are able to sample all the wine they want from noon to 4:00 p.m. at a tasting tent. That festival does have 4 food food vendors. There also will be music there. I don't know what wines that will be there, but Door County is known for fruit wines including apple & cherry.

Both of those pair well with ham or most types of pork. Dry cherry wine pairs well with both pork, beef and some fish and definitely smoked fish while sweet cherry wine which does pair with pork is best left to pair with sweeter dishes. We're probably going with a semi sweet red sangria for the BBQ

Goofyernmost

My first car was a Dodge Aries, it was a 1987. It ran until the fall of 2000 and hardly had any problems. Finally traded it in because the floor in the drivers area was starting to rust out and had developed a hole, that my dad patched up with a board for awhile. I really loved that car.

I want to say mine was a little lighter blue, but wasn't she purrty?! ;):)
View attachment 641190

1653521523895.png 1653522079671.png
First one 1982 Second one 1995, I think they all looked alike.

Those were the colors though. The first one was our transportation on our first trip to WDW in 1983. The first one convinced me that cruise control was a must have. That one didn't have it, The second one did.

wdwfan4ver

Both of those pair well with ham or most types of pork. Dry cherry wine pairs well with both pork, beef and some fish and definitely smoked fish while sweet cherry wine which does pair with pork is best left to pair with sweeter dishes. We're probably going with a semi sweet red sangria for the BBQ
I do know one of the wineries at the Wine Festival does sell Dry cherry. The winery in question in their front page of their website mentioned Cherry Blossom Wine. They mentioned it is a semi-sweet wine. That winery is a winery/market that I do visit during door county trips. That Winery/market has specialty foods such as jams, dips, candies.

That winery/market is also excited about apple & pear trees blossoming according to their Facebook page. I know the cherry trees in Door County recently blossomed including tart cherries. Wisconsin produces the 3rd most tart cherries in the entire United States and that is due to door county.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom