The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

I will only eat the Lima beans! Hate boiled cabbage and liver and onionsšŸ¤¢Mom would make us eat the liver every time even though I always got sick that night.

I, honestly, canā€™t remember NOT eatinā€™ anything my Mom ever put on the tableā€¦. šŸ¤”
Not a huge fan of beets or sweet potatoes, but, Iā€™ll eat them from time to time. Canā€™t think of anything else Iā€™m not really a fan of.
Funny thing is, I can eat the heck out of a jar of pickled beets, and I do kindaā€™ like my Moms sweet potato casserole.
She bakes it with big marshmallows, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, etc.
My Pop loves sweet potatoesā€¦he calls them ā€œmusic rootsā€ā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:

SteveBrickNJ

I do, but it is more of a special meal food. I'm a regular mashed potato person. I was introduced to sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving back when My dads late parents had Thanksgiving back when I was a kid. Sweet Potatoes is a food that I think my parents were brought up as a holiday or part of certain meals depending on the main course.

We have slow cooked sweet potato casserole as part of a turkey meal and always tasted great. The recipe includes marshmallows.

Dad found recipe online back in the early 2000s and is a tradition since.
You know @wdwfan4ver your first two sentences probably is the case for many people. I enjoy sweet potatoes at Outback Steakhouse, Longhorn Steakhouse or Texas Roadhouse. We don't eat it here at home.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Chicken liver I can handle but calves liver is not my cup of tea.

I can do both.
There used to be a place here, up until the damndemic, called ā€œThreadgillā€™sā€. It was founded by a local country/folk musician. Janis Joplin did her first gig there, back when she was attending UT.
Anyhoo, they used to have this AWESOME chicken fried chicken liver platter, priced low with 2-dozen livers, that was sooooo goodā€¦!!!!! :hungry:

wdwfan4ver

You know @wdwfan4ver your first two sentences probably is the case for many people. I enjoy sweet potatoes at Outback Steakhouse, Longhorn Steakhouse or Texas Roadhouse. We don't eat it here at home.
That is true, but I also forgot about Sweet potato fries. It is the type of sweet potato I use the most out of the sweet potato products.

I don't eat them many days in a year. Sweet potato fries is connected to BBQ as a side dish and I rarely eat BBQ. I eat BBQ once a year at Door County. Door County is a 3 or 4 day vacation spot. Door county has a BBQ place called Casey's Smokehouse and BBQ. One of their appetizers is Sweet potato fries. I also get babyback pork ribs from a store when its on sale, but it is a food that I eat maybe 6 days a year with 4 of the days being left overs. I put marshmallow sauce on the sweet potato fries.

donaldtoo

I do, but it is more of a special meal food. I'm a regular mashed potato person. I was introduced to sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving back when My dads late parents had Thanksgiving back when I was a kid. Sweet Potatoes is a food that I think my parents were brought up as a holiday or part of certain meals depending on the main course.

We have slow cooked sweet potato casserole as part of a turkey meal and always tasted great. The recipe includes marshmallows.

Dad found recipe online back in the early 2000s and is a tradition since.

Sweet potato casserole has been in my family since I can remember. Both of my grandmothers made it, my Mom, all my aunts, etc.
The other thing similar is rice pudding. They all made/make it. Another of my Pops favesā€¦he really loves the browned edges, as do Iā€¦!!!!! :hungry:

Cesar R M

Sweet potato casserole has been in my family since I can remember. Both of my grandmothers made it, my Mom, all my aunts, etc.
The other thing similar is rice pudding. They all made/make it. Another of my Pops favesā€¦he really loves the browned edges, as do Iā€¦!!!!! :hungry:
Is the sweet potato sort of cultural in the USA?

They are hardly used over here and mostly in specified restaurants. Particularly the fancy burger joints that have been spawning lately in my town.

donaldtoo

Is the sweet potato sort of cultural in the USA?

They are hardly used over here and mostly in specified restaurants. Particularly the fancy burger joints that have been spawning lately in my town.

I donā€™t know about cultural, per se, but, I think they are easy to grow, down here anyway, and they provide a lot of fiber. Thus, the ā€œmusic rootsā€ā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:
Theyā€™ve gained a lot more recent popularity in many different dishes with vegans, vegetarians, and others, because of their health benefits.

Last edited:

John park hopper

Having grown up in NY we ate a lot of potatoes and very little rice being in the south the last 50 yrs we eat more rice than potatoes and the daughter in law makes a killer sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. Gotta ask Ferret whats with mushy peas on your side oh the pond --I can remember giving my boys mushy peas when they were a baby we called it Gerber baby food Ha Ha

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Having grown up in NY we ate a lot of potatoes and very little rice being in the south the last 50 yrs we eat more rice than potatoes and the daughter in law makes a killer sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. Gotta ask Ferret whats with mushy peas on your side oh the pond --I can remember giving my boys mushy peas when they were a baby we called it Gerber baby food
Don't blame me for that šŸ¤®

Goofyernmost

I donā€™t know about cultural, per se, but, I think they are easy to grow, down here anyway, and they provide a lot of fiber. Thus, the ā€œmusic rootsā€ā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:
Theyā€™ve gained a lot more recent popularity in many different dishes with vegans, vegetarians, and others, because of their health benefits.
I'd have to say they are regionally cultural. From what I have been able to notice, it is a southern staple at least in North Carolina. I saw a TV program once that was about how many tons of Sweet Potatoes that NC exports to Europe which leads me to believe that they are more popular there then here. Over there they might be called something else, don't really know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom