The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Don’t feel bad. I never got one either. I did get to use the real one though. 😉

Raises hand -- I also never had an EasyBake Oven as a kid. I wanted one, big time. (I think my mother already knew I was a disaster in the kitchen, and she figured I'd probably set the place on fire, if she got me one of those.) :p

There’s been Halloween candy at Giant for like a few weeks now.

Same here. The bags have been out on the shelves of my grocery store for approx. 3 weeks. It really made me wonder just how OLD the candy is, by the time the kiddies get it in their Halloween bags, at the end of October?!

Lilofan

Raises hand -- I also never had an EasyBake Oven as a kid. I wanted one, big time. (I think my mother already knew I was a disaster in the kitchen, and she figured I'd probably set the place on fire, if she got me one of those.) :p

Same here. The bags have been out on the shelves of my grocery store for approx. 3 weeks. It really made me wonder just how OLD the candy is, by the time the kiddies get it in their Halloween bags, at the end of October?!
Gotta love those home economics classes back in the day. Even though the class was mostly girls, some boys took the class too. It was good exposure for kids to learn how to cook and bake, sew / to prep for later domestic duties in life. Kids nowadays would say " Home economics, what's that?".

Goofyernmost

This:

View attachment 583632
This was several months ago. It wasn’t immediately apparent, but it messed his back up. He almost certainly needs surgery, but insurance is forcing weeks of physical therapy first (while he has been in pain.)

After doing Boo Bash the first night, I didn’t realize how bad he was on non-park Tuesday. We didn’t get to Epcot on Wednesday until about 7pm. Today, we went for the wheelchair. I suggested the scooter, but he volunteered me to push him all around HS, which is 90% uphill. 😉

So that was my workout for today. 😆

Back and forth from Star Wars to Tune-In with Julie. So happy she’s back.
View attachment 583633
The scooter is a magical machine. Tell him to quit thinking about what others think and enjoy himself. With my back issues it made it possible to actually see whatever I wanted and, I guess I am fortunate enough to not give a tinkers damn what others think. I could get off the scooter and board the rides or walk short distances but anything over 10 minutes either standing or walking could almost bring me to tears. Pushing through will not help the situation when it comes to spinal stenosis. All that will do is make it worse.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Gotta love those home economics classes back in the day. Even though the class was mostly girls, some boys took the class too. It was good exposure for kids to learn how to cook and bake, sew / to prep for later domestic duties in life. Kids nowadays would say " Home economics, what's that?".
I loved those classes!!! (And yes, we had a few disasters in the kitchens -- I KNOW. I was there! I had a blast! :hilarious: )

Just wanted to mention that my high school also offered the same classes for the boys -- but the curriculum labelled the classes, Culinary Arts. :joyfull: Can you believe it?! Same teacher, exact same recipes, etc. (Nowadays, if they still offer these types of classes, you can be sure they include everyone, and have one title in the curriculum.)

A final tidbit: I remember our teacher saying that she actually preferred the boys to teach, because she said they were very focused on getting the job done. Then, after that, they'd all chat together, etc. She said the girls would come in all chatty and it was hard to get them to focus on the steps in the recipes. To us, it was just a big gab fest during the entire class! :p (Each group of cooking stations had 4 girls in a group, and there were 4 cooking stations -- twas a bit noisy! :happy: )

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I too wanted an Easy Bake Oven as a child. Never got one.

On my 30th birthday I unwrapped my mother’s gift to me ~ an Easy Bake Oven. She thought it was hilarious.

Thankfully I was able to pass the gift on to my daughter when she was old enough to use it (with supervision). She loved it ~ as much as I would have at her age.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I too wanted an Easy Bake Oven as a child. Never got one.

On my 30th birthday I unwrapped my mother’s gift to me ~ an Easy Bake Oven. She thought it was hilarious.

Thankfully I was able to pass the gift on to my daughter when she was old enough to use it (with supervision). She loved it ~ as much as I would have at her age.
O.k. Based upon the responses of all of us who did not get an EasyBake Oven as a kid -- I'm wondering if ANY kid (other than the one in the commercial) ever got one?! :jawdrop: ;)

93boomer

Premium Member
I did have an easy bake oven. My sister and I baked all the mixes with it. Then, Mom gave us a bit of cake mix to use. We used it a lot. I remember using the pans to make mud pies when we played outside.
And my Dd had a newer version when it came out. She didn’t use it as much as we did. She had more stuff to play with than I did.🤣

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I did have an easy bake oven. My sister and I baked all the mixes with it. Then, Mom gave us a bit of cake mix to use. We used it a lot. I remember using the pans to make mud pies when we played outside.
And my Dd had a newer version when it came out. She didn’t use it as much as we did. She had more stuff to play with than I did.🤣
Wow. After all these years -- I finally now know someone who had an EasyBake Oven! :joyfull:

Songbird76

That is a huge difference. I would think that even for a main stream kid this would be a difficult transition.
Totally. I mean, just looking at the last year, when all the kids suddenly had to switch to remote learning, and it was a HUGE deal and very difficult for so many of them. This is basically the same thing, except they didn't give us any notice. The kids got to the school and were told, by the way, we have this system and you're never going to meet your actual teachers...it will be remote learning, you'll just all be in one classroom learning remotely together! And the teachers are spread out across the whole country...it would be like living in NJ and having a math teacher in Connecticut, and a biology teacher in Maine, and an English teacher in Vermont. There's no actual contact...it's all done over email. And to be hit with that the first day of school when you are expecting standard instruction....wow.

I also just watched their extremely short video, and discovered they also don't offer all the profiles for his level of school, and the one that fits him is not offered. So when he has to make his profile choice for next year, he's going to have to take classes he hates that are not going to give him the requirements he needs for college for a career in his area of interest. They chose the 2 most general profiles that have mostly the same requirements, so all the kids take the exact same classes, except Biology or History, and Biology and History are the 2 he hates and is worst at. And it doesn't sound like they will offer the more difficult math, which is what he is good at and loves. He's already been bored for the past couple of years because he's better at math than his classmates, so they have to do a lot of repetition and he gets frustrated because he already understands how to do it, but can't move on. If they don't offer the more difficult math, he's going to be bored. We have a year before he actually starts with a profile, so we're going to have to have some conversations with the school about meeting his needs.

Songbird76

Oh not that old....parents buy the stuff now, eat it all, and then buy new for the trick or treaters.

Songbird76

O.k. Based upon the responses of all of us who did not get an EasyBake Oven as a kid -- I'm wondering if ANY kid (other than the one in the commercial) ever got one?! :jawdrop: ;)
I did!!! I don't remember if I conned my dad into getting it for me, or if my mom actually saved up to buy it. But I had one. I think my dad got it for me and my mom's gift was the mixes to go with it. I didn't get to use it much because I had to have supervision and my mom was not one for playing with us. But I did have one!!

Songbird76

Oh, she shared - but the adults kept a close eye and limited my exposure to it.

How’d that work for ya, Ma? 🤨🤭😆
I'm so sorry that happened to you! I always had the problem that people didn't think girls should play with cars. We'd go somewhere to visit and toys were limited. My cousin had this hot wheels garage toy that I LOVED, but of course the boys didn't want to play with a girl!

Cesar R M

I might have used those for mudcakes as well :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom