The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We've been very happy with our new one GE model number GTW500ASN0WS. We've had it for 1 year and no problems. It has got the old fashioned knobs, none of those push button digital ones.

Glad to hear that your GE is working well for your family, and thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, the store I finally went to today, did not carry that model. (I chose the store because it was a locally owned appliance store, where they have their own in-house staff, repair dept., warehouse, and delivery and set-up people that they train to their standards. (They don't use a third party for these services, like the three major big box stores in my area.)

The washer I ended up with had a few similarities to yours, but in Whirlpool. (And I chose the agitator over an fuser/impeller.) What I liked from the model you have, were the regular knobs, etc., as those tend to last longer than the various digital control machine models (regardless of brand).

So it was helpful for me to see the description of your machine on Google, before I compared other machines.

StarWarsGirl

toy story pity GIF

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I experienced the same thing when I had to get a new one. I finally opted for a Maytag, with the agitator. It has been a few years, and I am happy with it. Speed Queen also has great reviews among my friends. Pricey, but without all of the flashy add ons, that I think few people use, anyway.

Thanks to you and @figmentfan423 for your input -- very much appreciated.

As for Speed Queen and Bosch, I really don't have the budget for those brands. But thank you both, just the same -- very helpful information. (Also, as Figgy mentioned, my need is just for 2 people anyway, so I don't need top of the line.) Some of those Bosch, etc., are pretty slick looking though in the showroom. ;) Gosh, they've elevated buying a washing machine, to the level of buying a new car or something. :hilarious:

My wife (nurse) went to OK helping my sister take car of my mother (ALS) and was gone for month and a half she never had a new washer and dryer so I bought a Kenmore dryer and washer (surprise). The washer was the kind low water use and no agitator all electronic. What a big mistake that was. Ever time the electric flickered the darn thing would lock it never cleaned the clothes well, after 3moths I donated basically a new washer to habitat for humanity. The old agitator and mechanical dial top load washers are hard to find--- found a GE washer and no electronics -mechanical dial and it cleans great. Have had it 4 years now and no problems.

I have a Bosch front loader and love it. It's survived years in my house without issues:joyfull: That being said it wasn't cheap but we've certainly gotten out money's worth out of it. I'm not sure it would be worth it for 2 people but I would suggest it for anybody who has Mount Laundry to deal with or boys that get extremely dirty

@John park hopper , that was a tough experience you had with your low water/electronic washer. Yikes. Just so you know, I've read quite a few reviews of various brands, and it seems a lot of the complaints are with some of the electronic models -- and people cited similar problems to yours. Very happy to hear that you found a basic GE model, that has worked well for you and your wife now.

Also, your comments about the agitator convinced me to buy one as well, even though I liked more space in the machine with an impeller. But, I'd rather go low tech,, and not have it die on me, you know? :)

Thanks again everyone for your input. Lastly, one thing I learned was that a number of these companies are now owned by one. For example, Whirlpool Corporation owns: Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Roper, Amana, and Jenn-Air. I think all were probably more reliable, when they were separate companies. 🤷‍♀️

Figgy1

Premium Member
@MinnieM123 glad you found the right one for you. There are 3 appliances that I don't mind, well I mind but don't mind spending money on a stove, dishwasher and washing machine. Sometimes I think I need appliances that could stand up to commercial use:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Yesterday both of the boys went through 3 outfits each and I like being able to wash all my blankets at home some of which are hand made quilts and we all know the abuse my kitchen appliances go through

Lilofan

Glad to hear that your GE is working well for your family, and thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, the store I finally went to today, did not carry that model. (I chose the store because it was a locally owned appliance store, where they have their own in-house staff, repair dept., warehouse, and delivery and set-up people that they train to their standards. (They don't use a third party for these services, like the three major big box stores in my area.)

The washer I ended up with had a few similarities to yours, but in Whirlpool. (And I chose the agitator over an fuser/impeller.) What I liked from the model you have, were the regular knobs, etc., as those tend to last longer than the various digital control machine models (regardless of brand).

So it was helpful for me to see the description of your machine on Google, before I compared other machines.
One unfortunate $250 bill we received from the expensive Sears repairman was when our dryer was no longer turning on. We thought it was electrical so we called Sears service which repairs many dryer makes. When the repairman came as scheduled a few days later he showed us that the culprit was the $10 nob that turned the machine on/off. Next time we learned if it happens - Check the nob.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
One unfortunate $250 bill we received from the expensive Sears repairman was when our dryer was no longer turning on. We thought it was electrical so we called Sears service which repairs many dryer makes. When the repairman came as scheduled a few days later he showed us that the culprit was the $10 nob that turned the machine on/off. Next time we learned if it happens - Check the nob.

Oh, that's nothing!! When I had my first apt. after jr. college, my washing machine wouldn't turn on. I called a repair shop, and the man came to see what it was. He told me I had not plugged in the machine! :p

John park hopper

Thanks to you and @figmentfan423 for your input -- very much appreciated.

As for Speed Queen and Bosch, I really don't have the budget for those brands. But thank you both, just the same -- very helpful information. (Also, as Figgy mentioned, my need is just for 2 people anyway, so I don't need top of the line.) Some of those Bosch, etc., are pretty slick looking though in the showroom. ;) Gosh, they've elevated buying a washing machine, to the level of buying a new car or something. :hilarious:

@John park hopper , that was a tough experience you had with your low water/electronic washer. Yikes. Just so you know, I've read quite a few reviews of various brands, and it seems a lot of the complaints are with some of the electronic models -- and people cited similar problems to yours. Very happy to hear that you found a basic GE model, that has worked well for you and your wife now.

Also, your comments about the agitator convinced me to buy one as well, even though I liked more space in the machine with an impeller. But, I'd rather go low tech,, and not have it die on me, you know? :)

Thanks again everyone for your input. Lastly, one thing I learned was that a number of these companies are now owned by one. For example, Whirlpool Corporation owns: Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Roper, Amana, and Jenn-Air. I think all were probably more reliable, when they were separate companies. 🤷‍♀️
Glad to help --new technology is not always better and electronics around moisture seems to be a problem. Our old washer was a Kenmore mechanical dial and agitator and lasted 22 years. Just replaced our Kitchenaid dishwasher with a Maytag dishwasher and can't say enough good things about it--made by Whirlpool. Same here can't afford Bosch Maytag was less than half the cost of Bosch

Figgy1

Premium Member
Glad to help --new technology is not always better and electronics around moisture seems to be a problem. Our old washer was a Kenmore mechanical dial and agitator and lasted 22 years. Just replaced our Kitchenaid dishwasher with a Maytag dishwasher and can't say enough good things about it--made by Whirlpool. Same here can't afford Bosch Maytag was less than half the cost of Bosch
We got a deal on our Bosch that made if somewhat affordable. We got it from a small local business that gives a fantastic discount to the people where my dh works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom