The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Carl has been a little pistol this week. He turned 5 months this week and in one of those you can’t tell me no modes. He must have been plotter trying for a while but apparently my son had him upstairs in his loft while watching football yesterday and there is a bedroom in the front and back of the loft area where TV is. Carl to a running start from front bedroom and to their back bedroom. My sons. Ed is over 3 feet tall. Carl takes a flying leap to get on his bed. End result did quite make it and splats into solid wood footboard.

went under bed in front bedroom to sleep off his concussion

5721A16E-5713-4837-A4DF-E3C0847ADF0A.jpeg

MinnieM123

Carl has been a little pistol this week. He turned 5 months this week and in one of those you can’t tell me no modes. He must have been plotter trying for a while but apparently my son had him upstairs in his loft while watching football yesterday and there is a bedroom in the front and back of the loft area where TV is. Carl to a running start from front bedroom and to their back bedroom. My sons. Ed is over 3 feet tall. Carl takes a flying leap to get on his bed. End result did quite make it and splats into solid wood footboard.

went under bed in front bedroom to sleep off his concussion

View attachment 524830

Oh no!! Did he really get a concussion? Poor little guy. :(

Songbird76

You and I are birds of a feather when it comes to our refusal to plan for parks or meals. But, what we have going for us is that when traveling solo, we're not responsible for others in our party. Nowadays, I think most families really do have to plan a lot, particularly (and surprisingly) if they want to get TS reservations for dinner in any park.

Luckily, I don't bother with TS, and if I really want a fancier meal than QS, I'll order in-room dining at my hotel (usually SWAN), for 1 night only of my vacation. Heck, I only go to WDW for 4 full days as it is, so don't mind a lot of QS -- particularly when some of the QS is quite good, such as Tangierine Cafe in the Morocco pavilion.
That's one thing I will say for QS at Disney....there are so many options and not just the standard burgers and pizza. AK has the Yak and Yeti counter service, Flame tree BBQ, and then it still has Restaurantasaurus for the standard fast food fare. Epcot has all the QS places in the different countries. HS doesn't have a lot of options, but that's the only park where we struggled to find decent QS food. Well, the waterparks aren't great for food. But really, for theme parks, the QS options at Disneyworld are pretty amazing. I probably COULD just do QS there for an entire trip, even a long one. Not so with Universal. And definitely not at DLP...DLP dining was pretty bad and every venue seemed to have the exact same menu.

Songbird76

So true. Reminds me of this clip from Seinfeld.

Exactly! It's like in Princess Bride. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." What exactly do they think it means to make a dining reservation? And if I'M not on time, you'll charge me anyway, but if YOU aren't on time with the table, I just have to sit and wait anyway. It's really not a very efficient system. It's only beneficial to Disney, not the guest.

Songbird76

I have a curiosity question. I'm hoping a few people will take the time to respond.
Focusing on your shower's tub spout, after you shut off the water....do you let the diverter (pull up thingee) stay up on its own...gurgling for a minute...do you let it eventually drop down on its own? ....or..... after turning the water off, do you reach over with one finger and gently tap it closed?View attachment 524754View attachment 524755View attachment 524756
Mine goes down automatically when you turn the water down to a certain point at which there's not enough water pressure for it to come out of the shower. So when you turn it off, it goes down on its own.

MinnieM123

That's one thing I will say for QS at Disney....there are so many options and not just the standard burgers and pizza. AK has the Yak and Yeti counter service, Flame tree BBQ, and then it still has Restaurantasaurus for the standard fast food fare. Epcot has all the QS places in the different countries. HS doesn't have a lot of options, but that's the only park where we struggled to find decent QS food. Well, the waterparks aren't great for food. But really, for theme parks, the QS options at Disneyworld are pretty amazing. I probably COULD just do QS there for an entire trip, even a long one. Not so with Universal. And definitely not at DLP...DLP dining was pretty bad and every venue seemed to have the exact same menu.

Another thing (for me) is that it's always hot at WDW, so my appetite shrinks when I'm down there. Sometimes a "meal" might be just a salad, or some fruit and frozen yogurt. Other times, I'll eat the regular QS meals. You're right about HS -- at least to me, they have the least desirable food options. There was one exception I made there, and that was to eat a full dinner at the bar, in the Tune In Lounge. The food was very good.

Songbird76

It is very true that going solo makes the lack of intense planning much simpler. I don't know exactly how I would react with a family in tow. My guess is that we wouldn't go there, I would opt for an easier destination. Heck even going to Europe for a month didn't require a lot more planning then a week in WDW. Just a little research to find out what we wanted to see, when we wanted to see it and how to get there, where to stay when we got there and even some of that, especially in cities, was not preplanned. And when you consider that is going some places where one never had been before and not speaking the language, I think that is quite minimal.
Oh I don't have to do nearly as much planning to travel around Europe as I have to do for a Disney trip. For just regular travel anywhere, I don't necessarily worry about exactly where we'll eat when. We will look up options online and find a few places that look good and see which ones have open tables. And there's no fast pass or anything like that. We did a trip through Germany in 2018 where we didn't plan anything beyond the first 3 days. My husband had booked hotel rooms and we planned those first three days, then just went where we felt like going and booked the next night's hotel room from wherever we were. So the first night, we stayed in Cologne, then the next day went to Phantasialand, and that night drove South to...I don't remember....Maybe Frankfurt, or maybe that was the 3rd night. I just don't remember. Then we had nothing planned and the kids really wanted to see Neuschwanstein Castle, so DH looked to see if he could find a hotel room in that area, found a nice one, so we drove South to Bavaria. Then decided to go to Legoland, then back to Frankfurt and then phantasialand again. We just went wherever we felt like going. As long as we had a hotel booked for the next night, and something to do the next day, I was ok. I don't have to have everything planned out to a T, but I need to know where I'm sleeping, and I need to have an idea of what's available to eat. I need to know I'm not going to be looking in vain for a decent meal and that we're not going to be sleeping in our car. And I need to know there's stuff to see and do, that we aren't going to be bored to tears. But pretty much everywhere in Europe has something in the vicinity that's neat to see, or has some historical significance....there are castles everywhere! But Disney, at least for my family, requires more detailed planning.

StarWarsGirl

If I have a FP scheduled, especially if it's for a popular attraction, I don't want to skip that, because someone else could have used that FP and it's not fair to waste it when someone else really wanted that experience and didn't get to do it because I had the FP.
If that happens, just go on your phone and get another FP for something else or cancel the FP. It releases it back into the system and someone else can grab it.
I don't think I'd have to do as much planning if it was just E and I, though. Is it bad to say that the best times on our last vacation were the ones where it was just the two of us? We could take our time and go into shops along the way to wherever we were going, stop and get a snack to share, etc. I can't do that with the boys because my husband doesn't like any of the same snacks, so we can't share, and he likes the thrill rides where I don't. I don't have the anxiety with E that I have to make sure she's having fun, because I know she is. With the boys, I have to try too hard. My husband isn't a Disney fan, so I feel like an overhyped camp counselor trying to make sure he has fun and gets to do things he'll like and eat food he'll enjoy, and with A I have to avoid things that will traumatize him or overstimulate him. With E, we can just relax and have fun without me worrying about everyone else.
It's definitely easier to go around a park (any park, not just WDW) with two people. Two people in a park is the best number because you have a buddy to go do stuff with. Once you start adding more people, it just kind of drags everything down because someone wants to do this, someone else is hungry, someone else has to go to the bathroom, we have to stand here and wait for everybody...six people is my top number for doing an amusement park. If we get beyond that number, I want to split up. I prefer to just have two people, usually me and B. Of course, I usually have to remind myself we're at a theme park, not boot camp. 😂

Songbird76

Another thing (for me) is that it's always hot at WDW, so my appetite shrinks when I'm down there. Sometimes a "meal" might be just a salad, or some fruit and frozen yogurt. Other times, I'll eat the regular QS meals. You're right about HS -- at least to me, they have the least desirable food options. There was one exception I made there, and that was to eat a full dinner at the bar, in the Tune In Lounge. The food was very good.
Yes, we have the same with our appetites shrinking. E and I have very similar tastes, so a lot of times, we are debating between the same two items on a menu, so one of us gets one, the other gets the other, and then we share. But we use our dining credits kind of differently, I guess...we did a LOT of character dining, because it's generally more expensive, so a better use of dining credits, and then it doesn't matter as much whether you eat the food, because it's more about the experience of meeting the characters than it is about the food. We also did a lot of breakfast buffets because if you have a late breakfast and fill up, you don't need to eat much for the rest of the day. That's why we had so many QS credits left over....we hardly ever needed lunch because we had big breakfasts. We booked most of our TS meals for experiences rather than for food. We did Whispering Canyon, 50s Prime Time, we had Sci-Fi Dine in, but dropped that because I was feeling so ill that morning. Then we did Akershus for the princesses, 1900 Park fare breakfast Alice and the mad hatter, same restuarant for dinner for Cinderella's step family....they are so fun, Trattoria al Forno for breakfast for Rapunzel and Flynn, and we did hoop-dee-doo....not with dining credits....that was out of pocket. But most of our dining was for memories, not because we were looking forward to specific food. And the food was decent everywhere anyway, that's just not what our main goal was. But if I was by myself, I think those things would be less fun, so I probably wouldn't do a lot of TS dining if I was by myself either, and I probably just wouldn't eat much at all. I just don't have an appetite there.

StarWarsGirl

Yeah, we've talked about that, but she wants to go on a trip with her best friend when they graduate, and I totally get that. Her best friend has never been to a Disney park....her best friend has actually never been anywhere. They don't go on big family vacations, I guess, so the furthest she's been is just across the border to a swimming pool in Germany. So E wants to take her to a Disney Park. They do go to the Efteling every year and she loves that, so E thinks she'd really like Disney. I told her maybe they should do DLP because they can take the train and not have to worry about international flights or anything, and you don't need as much time. It's not as overwhelming. Then they can do Disneyworld later, since it's a completely different experience.
I went to WDW with my longtime bestie when we graduated high school. Then we went cross country to DL when I graduated college. We still talk about both those trips. They were some of our best memories.

StarWarsGirl

My appetite is always up when I'm in WDW because of all the walking. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold (I've been in WDW when it's been in the 40s).

DHS definitely has the worst QS food. I think the food over at Galaxy's Edge is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it yet because of my picky brother. Same with Woody's Lunchbox.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yeah, we've talked about that, but she wants to go on a trip with her best friend when they graduate, and I totally get that. Her best friend has never been to a Disney park....her best friend has actually never been anywhere. They don't go on big family vacations, I guess, so the furthest she's been is just across the border to a swimming pool in Germany. So E wants to take her to a Disney Park. They do go to the Efteling every year and she loves that, so E thinks she'd really like Disney. I told her maybe they should do DLP because they can take the train and not have to worry about international flights or anything, and you don't need as much time. It's not as overwhelming. Then they can do Disneyworld later, since it's a completely different experience.
Good call! Much less chance of something being an issue when traveling by train and you're a car ride away if need be. A rather long ride but for a first alone trip I think that's better. PS I don't think anything will go wrong

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom