The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My Apartment complex has a laundry room on every floor. I found that since I get up early on most days that I would make Tuesday my laundry day. There is one front loading washing machine and one super duper dryer. I mean that thing comes close to melting the machine it get so warm. Last week I got there to discover that the washing machine was out of order so I went down to the first floor to that laundry room. Imagine my surprise when I spotted two front loading and two top loading machines plus 4 super dryers. I still like the one that is only 35 feet from my door though. It was a problem through out this Pandemic because they all require quarters to operate and for a while those quarters were hard to come by. But, I put on my sad face and went to grocery stores and begged and they gave me one or two rolls of quarters.** I, at any given time, have $40. to $50. in quarters stashed. I am able to do just one load per week unless I'm doing towels and/or bed linens. It costs me $4.50 for the wash and dry cycle which I think is cheaper then buying a new Washer and Dryer, maintaining it and paying for the hot water and electricity to operate them. If I start my wash at 6:45am, I have it washed, dried and put away before 10:15am. Most of the time is used up procrastinating when I get to the put away phase.

One would think that change would be available at least at banks, but they must have a very weak immune system because they lock the doors and only speak to us common people from about 30 ft. away. I have financed my washing budget using the money that I got from selling my own washer and dryer from my old apartment. Still have a few dollars left from that transaction. 8 months and counting!

Fortunately, (with one exception) the various places I rented all had laundry facilities in the building. They all used quarters in the machines, and I'd get a roll of quarters at the bank every month. (Our last two places we had hook-ups in the apt., so we've owned our own machines.)

Anyway, about that one exception years ago--I was living in Cambridge near my job, at that time. I'd throw my laundry in a garbage bag with a cup of detergent, and drag it 4 blocks down to the laundromat on a Thursday night, as that seemed to be only time it wasn't mobbed in there. So, the timing to get available machines was good, but there was one catch. Next door, was a barroom with a sordid assortment of drunks that used to like to stop by and "visit". :rolleyes: OMG . . . the experiences I could share about some of those dudes . . . especially the guy singing (actually yelling) songs from the 50s, while punching the washing machines that he said were his "drums". 🤦‍♀️

Lilofan

Fortunately, (with one exception) the various places I rented all had laundry facilities in the building. They all used quarters in the machines, and I'd get a roll of quarters at the bank every month. (Our last two places we had hook-ups in the apt., so we've owned our own machines.)

Anyway, about that one exception years ago--I was living in Cambridge near my job, at that time. I'd throw my laundry in a garbage bag with a cup of detergent, and drag it 4 blocks down to the laundromat on a Thursday night, as that seemed to be only time it wasn't mobbed in there. So, the timing to get available machines was good, but there was one catch. Next door, was a barroom with a sordid assortment of drunks that used to like to stop by and "visit". :rolleyes: OMG . . . the experiences I could share about some of those dudes . . . especially the guy singing (actually yelling) songs from the 50s, while punching the washing machines that he said were his "drums". 🤦‍♀️
Having a washer and dryer in my residence is a luxury. Back when I was in school, I had to watch my wash washing and drying while studying for my classes. It was unfortunate when no one was around that some would try to steal other peers clothes.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Having a washer and dryer in my residence is a luxury. Back when I was in school, I had to watch my wash washing and drying while studying for my classes. It was unfortunate when no one was around that some would try to steal other peers clothes.

Yes, that happens. That's why, even though people had to put up with the barroom patrons dropping by, everyone stayed inside to "guard" their clothes. I could never understand why anyone would want someone else's laundry?! (Oh, the laundry dump was also crawling with bugs, so people used to also shake out their clothes before bringing them home, just in case one tried to be a stowaway.) Yah, I don't miss those days!! :jawdrop:

Songbird76

My bff who recently had surgery has to go up and down stairs as part of pt. So he's putting the dirty laundry in a backpack and goes down to do laundry. I'm getting some interesting phone calls as he hasn't done laundry in I suspect never. There's a place down the street where you can drop your laundry off and they wash and fold it for you:rolleyes:
There was one of those laundry places in Gillette. It was so helpful when my dad died, because I had to be at the funeral home, or at the lawyers, or meeting up with places where he had credit, etc, and I didn't have time to sit in a laundromat and do laundry. So I just brought a suitcase there and dumped it and let them do it for me. Costs a little more than doing it yourself, but saved me SO much time.

Goofyernmost

The only time in my adult life that I didn't have my own washer and dryer was when I was first married. That only lasted about 8 months when we bought our mobile home. That one (used) home came equipped with them. That was in 1972 and I have not been without in house/apt setups until March when I move to my current location. If I had been forced to take my laundry to a laundromat it would have been a deal killer. 30 or so feet down the hallway is workable.

Songbird76

Yeah, what is it about laundromats that attract...unique people? When I had to take my laundy to a laundromat, there were always various people who surprised me with their behavior. There was a guy once who kept looking at me, and I thought maybe I knew him, but couldn't place him. He approached me and told me that he gave self-defense lessons to women, if I was interested, and asked me out. I told him I was engaged, so no thank you...he was married! When his wife went out of town, he went looking for some action...yeah, I'm sure that self-defense would have been great! He "demonstrated" by grabbing my wrist tightly and telling me to try to break his hold. Ended up bruising my wrist. Just a very very strange character. I was talking to a friend of mine at work and I mentioned the incident and his name, and he had approached her the same way months before in Safeway, only she hadn't known he was married. She actually went out with him and then noticed the ring.

Songbird76

They didn't steal them where I went to school, but they would vulture and as soon as a machine would stop, if you weren't standing right there, they'd dump your wet clothes out of the washer, or out of the dryer and the clothes may not be completely dry. So I always had to stay down there to do my laundry and bring my books with me. It's amazing most people left their stuff unattended. I was always the only one down there, despite the machines all being full.

Figgy1

Premium Member
There was one of those laundry places in Gillette. It was so helpful when my dad died, because I had to be at the funeral home, or at the lawyers, or meeting up with places where he had credit, etc, and I didn't have time to sit in a laundromat and do laundry. So I just brought a suitcase there and dumped it and let them do it for me. Costs a little more than doing it yourself, but saved me SO much time.
I wish our "local" place had that service. When my last washer died it took 2 weeks to replace it. 2 of the longest weeks of my life! I can live without my stove for that long because I have enough gadgets that could fill on for it but if the washer was out of service I'd be out of luck. That makes for an interesting question. What would be the hardest appliance to live without?

ImperfectPixie

I wish our "local" place had that service. When my last washer died it took 2 weeks to replace it. 2 of the longest weeks of my life! I can live without my stove for that long because I have enough gadgets that could fill on for it but if the washer was out of service I'd be out of luck. That makes for an interesting question. What would be the hardest appliance to live without?
Does a toilet count? We just spent a month with having plumbing issues and kept losing working toilets...it was freaking awful.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We spent 6 months without a functioning bathroom . Downstairs toilet only and inlaws and friends generosity, made for an interesting time.

StarWarsGirl

We spent 6 months without a functioning bathroom . Downstairs toilet only and inlaws and friends generosity, made for an interesting time.
There's three and a half bathrooms in this house, so we don't have that issue. But when the upstairs bathrooms were being renovated and I was stuck using the basement one...I was not a happy camper. Especially when mine was being done and there was also a hole in my bedroom wall so I was sleeping down there.

I wasn't supposed to be using the hall bathroom while the master bathroom was being done, but I snuck in there to take showers and used the powder room to do makeup/brush my teeth.

Lilofan

There are older homes in my area with a 3 bedroom, 1 full bathroom. It's not easy but families for years learned to live with sharing 1 bathroom. One guy I knew that worked in the agriculture industry lived with 15 other men in a trailer with 1 bathroom. His tip was use the bathroom very early in the morning before the sun comes up.

ImperfectPixie

As awful as lack of plumbing would be Appliances should be limited to items sold in that department not in the plumbing department
Next would be the coffeemaker. I can use coolers and ice to replace the fridge and I can cook over open flame.

ETA: Instant coffee is just nasty.

EDIT 2: Third...the microwave for re-heating said coffee because it invariably gets cold too fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom