The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Spent 37+ mins. earlier listening to an old album on YouTube. Went through some of my albums earlier.
Found one from a long-defunct local band called “The Argyles” from 1983...brought back some damn good memories of seeing them at local clubs, the Texas Union on campus, etc., back in the day...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Also, did some research...
I paid $4 for The Argyles “Picture In My Pocket” album...it’s now worth $50...!!!!! :greedy::hilarious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
You're that old? I am part of the no pager, no voice mail. If you weren't home you didn't get a call that you knew about and if you had to give someone a call many times you had to go through an operator. Pay phones did exist and by the time I was old enough to use one, the cost for a call was 5 cents. When dial phones became the norm phone numbers were a combination letters and numbers. (i.e. JO-12785) And almost all home phones were party lines. That was how I met my first girlfriend. We still keep in touch via e-mail now. That really didn't change much until the late 80's!
I thought you used smoke signals, drums and pigeons;)

21stamps

You're that old? I am part of the no pager, no voice mail. If you weren't home you didn't get a call that you knew about and if you had to give someone a call many times you had to go through an operator. Pay phones did exist and by the time I was old enough to use one, the cost for a call was 5 cents. When dial phones became the norm phone numbers were a combination letters and numbers. (i.e. JO-12785) And almost all home phones were party lines. That was how I met my first girlfriend. We still keep in touch via e-mail now. That really didn't change much until the late 80's!

I was telling my son that when I was in grade school, I had to do the following-

Call a radio station to request a song, never getting thru.

Have a tape and tape recorder ready for if a song came on.

If I missed a show on tv, I couldn’t watch it on demand... would try to remember to set VCR.

Called a phone number to find out the time and weather.

He especially got a kick out of the last one. 😂

donaldtoo

I had a complete stereo system- turntable, reel to reel, caset player, 60 reel to reel tapes that held 4 or 5 albums ( I recorded) and countless records all this was put together when I was in the service 68-70. Hurricane Hugo hit and with 5 feet of seawater in the house all my stereo stuff was lost. Many feel records have a better sound --I would have to agree, sure miss those old records.

Ouch...! Sorry about that loss.
I payed $1K for the better stereo right after I graduated HS and the firm I first worked for nights during HS hired me full time the summer of ‘80.
Turntable, receiver, double cassette deck, all Hitachi. The only thing I varied on were the speakers. The Hitachi speakers just weren’t doin’ it for me. After listening to several options, I was finally blown away by speakers from a company called Accord out of Boston, MA. They were BADA$$...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull:
People commented on the sound quality all the time...!!!!! :happy:
Haven’t done an extensive search, but, so far, a coupla’ short searches have rendered no trace of that company, whatsoever.
Maybe, someday ;), I’ll see about gettin’ my whole system back in workin’ condition...!!! :)

donaldtoo

When I was moving a few months back I went through my vinyl collection and gave a lot of them to thrift stores. I kept the ones with folks that I enjoyed listening to. I still have a very good working turntable even though I don't use it very much. In the process I found some original distribution, Beatles, Cream and Sound of Music that when I researched them on ebay appeared to be worth some money. To this point I have never done anything about trying to sell them, but I probably will in the future.

It’s funny, I never lost my love of vinyl, it just got put on hold for many years...!!! ;)
Remember the sheer joy of unwrapping the plastic off of a new album...? The smell of it as you pulled it out of the sleeve...? The smell of the stereo system itself...?
Good times...!!!!!!! :happy:

Goofyernmost

I was telling my son that when I was in grade school, I had to do the following-

Call a radio station to request a song, never getting thru.

Have a tape and tape recorder ready for if a song came on.

If I missed a show on tv, I couldn’t watch it on demand... would try to remember to set VCR.

Called a phone number to find out the time and weather.

He especially got a kick out of the last one. 😂
If we missed a TV show the best we could hope for was a rerun during the summer. Three networks, CBS, NBC and ABC. No VCR's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom