The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
No Mulan is the one she is ABSOLUTELY sure is just a girl in a costume. Everyone else she believes is a princess, but Mulan,... just a girl in a dress. Three years now, and she hasn't changed her tune on that.
Which Princess did she tell her shoes were ugl?

MySmallWorldof4

Many years ago late 60's my mom, me, my sister and my then girlfriend drove from NY to south Florida to see my grandmother (right before I went into the service). We stopped in SC and found this place on Highway 17 to eat. Mom ordered a platter of friend chicken and an elderly black women (cook) brought it out with honey. We asked what do you do with the honey and she said put it on your chicken. I have to say it was the best fried chicken I ever had and from that day on I put honey on my fried chicken. Wondering if any one else does that. Funny years later when I moved to SC not 10 miles up the road I vaguely remembered the building which was long abandoned and I asked at the local country store was there ever a restaurant there. Sure enough they had a old picture of when it was open and they said they had the best fried chicken ---Had to agree --wish it was still there
I only had it in the past with honey mustard.

MySmallWorldof4

One of dd’s friends from her now ex cheer team:confused: will be coming over to play after school. I am glad for that.We are going to go to an open gym at another cheer gym Friday evening so we can check out the facility and so she can use their equipment and practice her tumbling.A couple of my friends are going to have their kids cheer for this gym next season as they also do not want to be associated with the one that caused the destruction mid-season of the current. The poor kids that were affected by the actions of certain adults just saddens me. They have tryouts end of May and practice starts June 1st so I am going to try and occupy dd with open gyms and some private lessons.

Goofyernmost

Our Fat Tuesday’s Paczki’s

Plus key lime, chocolate mousse and lemon.
Fruit was fresh fruit Strawberries and peach

About 30 flavors offered
View attachment 451978View attachment 451979View attachment 451980View attachment 451981View attachment 451982View attachment 451983
Our interesting fame is oursmis
An Irish Bakery and know for
Counties around that these are the best
Paczki’s around. 45 minute line outside.
I hope you're happy... I just put on 5 lbs just looking at the pictures. Not cool!

Rista1313

Our Fat Tuesday’s Paczki’s

Plus key lime, chocolate mousse and lemon.
Fruit was fresh fruit Strawberries and peach

About 30 flavors offered
View attachment 451978View attachment 451979View attachment 451980View attachment 451981View attachment 451982View attachment 451983
Our interesting fame is oursmis
An Irish Bakery and know for
Counties around that these are the best
Paczki’s around. 45 minute line outside.
Those look delicious... the Polock in me thanks you!

Songbird76

I told her the meeting did not go well. I said that a solution was brought forth and some petty parents poo pooed it. I said practice was canceled for tomorrow so the owner would be able to think more clearly. I came up with 7 kids from dd’s team who were willing to go on. They were not part of the problem. Their kids don’t deserve what happened. They have emailed the gym with their hopes of continuing. I emailed the gymnastics coordinator and said to her that the parents would be emailing and there are enough for a team. She said she thinks the owner is overwhelmed and doesn’t know who to trust. I gave her the names then. She knows they are good people. One even works there. I told her if she doesn’t even consider this, with people who have done nothing but show utmost respect to the program and her, then she has burned bridges that will not get reconciled. This is a small town. People talk. People are brutal on social media.
I think it's so sad that people can't even do what's right for the sake of their kids. And you know their kids are watching and this is not a lesson that will serve them well in the future. It's good that there are at least SOME of you who have been able to avoid taking part in the drama and are just trying to find a way to move on. I hope that's what the owner will take away from it, not that it's not worth it. I can understand she is probably hurt and insecure now because she's been burned and it seems like the problem parents are the loudest at the moment, as it usually is. But if enough of you show her support, maybe she can rally enough to finish out the year with those of you who have shown you can be trusted. How many do you need for a team? And do you need alternates in case someone is sick/injured? Or does everyone compete in every competition? I'm so sorry you all are experiencing this...I'm still appalled at the behavior of the problem parents.

Songbird76

Let you???????????????????? Would you like a large or extra large frying pan?
Well, he never said the words outright that I COULDN'T buy the cheater lettuce, but when I grabbed the bag, he told me just to get the head and cut it, and I told him no, I wasn't cutting lettuce and if we bought a head, HE'D be cutting it and he said "Fine." So I chose not to push it...as long as I don't have to waste my time to do it, I don't care who cuts it. But he does it with everything... I wasn't sure how many eggs we had and I was making pancakes for A, and he said we didn't need eggs because we had plenty...ok, no problem, but then he didn't want me to buy the buttermilk because there's already some at home. So I tell him yes, I know, but that carton isn't full, there's not enough to make a full batch. He tells me not to make a full batch. I said I HAVE to make a full batch, because it only calls for one egg, which I can't really cut in half. He says just use the full egg and half the other ingredients. Like OMG just let me make the freaking pancakes!!! You're seriously going to quibble over a 74 cent carton of buttermilk?? If we were seriously strapped for cash, I would be really careful, but we're not. It's just that if it's not his, he doesn't see the necessity. I caught him throwing some stuff out of the fridge that was perfectly fine, just because he didn't ever see anyone using it, so he decided we didn't need it. So I think the extra large pan is definitely in order.

Rista1313

Well, he never said the words outright that I COULDN'T buy the cheater lettuce, but when I grabbed the bag, he told me just to get the head and cut it, and I told him no, I wasn't cutting lettuce and if we bought a head, HE'D be cutting it and he said "Fine." So I chose not to push it...as long as I don't have to waste my time to do it, I don't care who cuts it. But he does it with everything... I wasn't sure how many eggs we had and I was making pancakes for A, and he said we didn't need eggs because we had plenty...ok, no problem, but then he didn't want me to buy the buttermilk because there's already some at home. So I tell him yes, I know, but that carton isn't full, there's not enough to make a full batch. He tells me not to make a full batch. I said I HAVE to make a full batch, because it only calls for one egg, which I can't really cut in half. He says just use the full egg and half the other ingredients. Like OMG just let me make the freaking pancakes!!! You're seriously going to quibble over a 74 cent carton of buttermilk?? If we were seriously strapped for cash, I would be really careful, but we're not. It's just that if it's not his, he doesn't see the necessity. I caught him throwing some stuff out of the fridge that was perfectly fine, just because he didn't ever see anyone using it, so he decided we didn't need it. So I think the extra large pan is definitely in order.

That's called controlling.. and it's not healthy, you don't have to put up with it.

Songbird76

Right next to B. 🙄

It is part of the autism, though.

B recently ate a hot dog at Hershey and then this past trip ate a burger at MK. I'm still recovering from shock.
Wow!! I think I'd die of shock if A ever ate a burger!! That's some advanced eatin' right there! A will eat hotdogs here at home without a bun or anything on them, but restaurant ones are different, so he won't eat them. The only thing he consistently ate at Disney was the giant donuts from the Joffrey's cart, but only the ones with the chocolate frosting. MK was difficult because we had a hard time finding one. We knew right where the stand was in Epcot, but the one in MK was out of the chocolate ones or maybe they didn't sell the donuts there...I don't remember why we couldn't get one there, just that A was crying because we couldn't get the donut and he was hungry and he didn't trust anything else. I was ready to cry myself! What does B normally eat at Disney?

Songbird76

I can imagine if my parents went grocery shopping, they'd argue. There was an argument this weekend about why my mom bought so many bananas (she's making banana bread).

The only time they go is when they go to Hawaii because my dad is the driver on the rental car. Idk how that goes because I stay behind. 😂
I usually do the shopping myself. I walk to the store every day. It's only a couple of blocks, and I have a big grocery bag on wheels so I don't have to carry bags. But because of the storms, it's been really bad weather...rain, and strong winds. Since it was a weekend, I asked DH if he would drive me to the store so I didn't get soaked to the bone or blow away in the wind. I haven't done any unnecessary shopping for weeks because the weather has been unsafe to bike in. I've only done the regular standard grocery shopping because we have to eat, but I've avoided making anything that requires going to a different store. I'm starting to think the risk would have been worth it to not have to bring him along.

StarWarsGirl

I usually do the shopping myself. I walk to the store every day. It's only a couple of blocks, and I have a big grocery bag on wheels so I don't have to carry bags. But because of the storms, it's been really bad weather...rain, and strong winds. Since it was a weekend, I asked DH if he would drive me to the store so I didn't get soaked to the bone or blow away in the wind. I haven't done any unnecessary shopping for weeks because the weather has been unsafe to bike in. I've only done the regular standard grocery shopping because we have to eat, but I've avoided making anything that requires going to a different store. I'm starting to think the risk would have been worth it to not have to bring him along.
Just make him wait in the car next time. That's what my mom does when she has to run in when she's out with my dad. Of course, if we're all together, we start taking bets on how many bags she'll come out with, but anyway...

Songbird76

That's called controlling.. and it's not healthy, you don't have to put up with it.
Oh, I don't. That's why I told him "Or you could just let me do it the way I do it." He still argued, but I bought the buttermilk, and I kept my word that I wasn't cutting the lettuce. I think for the most part it's just that he hates shopping so he's grumpy when he goes to the store. He just complains about everything and he tries to get out of there faster by reducing what we buy. So if I have a list of 10 things, he'll ask me "How many of those things do you HAVE to get today?" and he'll try to get me to put off anything that will keep him in the store a few seconds longer. He'll have holes in his shoes and put off shopping for new ones for weeks just to avoid going into a shoe store. In general, I try to do any and all shopping by myself and only involve him when I don't have a choice. Obviously, I can't try on his new shoes for him, so he HAS to be there for that. But if I have a few other things to do, and I suggest going on the weekend to get those items and he can get new shoes, he'll say ok, but when we get to the centrum, he'll say the shoes can wait, and then he'll ask me if I REALLY need everything on my list that day or can I come back by bike sometime during the week. So I usually try to spare both of us the agony and just do the shopping myself, whether it's groceries, or clothes for the kids, or kitchen tools, etc. He doesn't do it to be controlling, and with almost everything else, we work well together and make a great team. My ex-boyfriend was super controlling, so I won't put up with that anymore, but I WILL make compromises where I can if it's not important to me. But I can also dig in my heels if I disagree.

StarWarsGirl

Wow!! I think I'd die of shock if A ever ate a burger!! That's some advanced eatin' right there! A will eat hotdogs here at home without a bun or anything on them, but restaurant ones are different, so he won't eat them. The only thing he consistently ate at Disney was the giant donuts from the Joffrey's cart, but only the ones with the chocolate frosting. MK was difficult because we had a hard time finding one. We knew right where the stand was in Epcot, but the one in MK was out of the chocolate ones or maybe they didn't sell the donuts there...I don't remember why we couldn't get one there, just that A was crying because we couldn't get the donut and he was hungry and he didn't trust anything else. I was ready to cry myself! What does B normally eat at Disney?
The picky eating is one thing that gets better as they get older. He used to eat nothing but chicken strips and PB&J and wouldn't eat any snacks in the parks. My mom used to have to pack Goldfish and lug them around the park.

Now he'll eat pizza, fried chicken, and asian-style food. He'll also eat the quick service at Pandora because it's close enough to Asian style. He'll do the chicken at Flame Tree Barbeque too; we used to have to get him just french fries. For breakfast he'll eat Mickey waffles, bacon, or pancakes if we're doing a sit down breakfast. For a quick breakfast, he'll do cinnamon buns or donuts from Joffery's (the vanilla with sprinkles, not the chocolate ones. He's like me in that respect; we do not like chocolate icing). He'll snack on a churro or a cookie during the day. French fries are also a good standby.

He will not eat fruit except for apple sauce. He does not like pasta in any way, shape or form. He won't try Mexican. Which sucks, because pasta and Mexican are my two favorites, and I'm not big on the Asian. With the exception of PB&J, he does not eat sandwiches, which is why we were amazed that he wanted to try a burger. It's taken him 18 years to get to that point. He also doesn't want anything fancy. For instance, we could get him to eat steak at Le Cellier, but he just wanted it plain with fries. Try to make it too fancy, and he doesn't want it.

My mom went to a seminar where an adult with autism explained food aversion. He said it's very visual, at least for him. For instance, that person said he will eat pizza, but not lasagna. He knows that basically, lasagna is cheese and tomato sauce, like pizza, but because of the way it looks, he can't bring himself to eat it. Textures and temperature can also be an issue. B won't eat anything cold aside from maybe a few bites of ice cream here and there.

Rista1313

Oh, I don't. That's why I told him "Or you could just let me do it the way I do it." He still argued, but I bought the buttermilk, and I kept my word that I wasn't cutting the lettuce. I think for the most part it's just that he hates shopping so he's grumpy when he goes to the store. He just complains about everything and he tries to get out of there faster by reducing what we buy. So if I have a list of 10 things, he'll ask me "How many of those things do you HAVE to get today?" and he'll try to get me to put off anything that will keep him in the store a few seconds longer. He'll have holes in his shoes and put off shopping for new ones for weeks just to avoid going into a shoe store. In general, I try to do any and all shopping by myself and only involve him when I don't have a choice. Obviously, I can't try on his new shoes for him, so he HAS to be there for that. But if I have a few other things to do, and I suggest going on the weekend to get those items and he can get new shoes, he'll say ok, but when we get to the centrum, he'll say the shoes can wait, and then he'll ask me if I REALLY need everything on my list that day or can I come back by bike sometime during the week. So I usually try to spare both of us the agony and just do the shopping myself, whether it's groceries, or clothes for the kids, or kitchen tools, etc. He doesn't do it to be controlling, and with almost everything else, we work well together and make a great team. My ex-boyfriend was super controlling, so I won't put up with that anymore, but I WILL make compromises where I can if it's not important to me. But I can also dig in my heels if I disagree.

Just from what your saying, still makes him sound controlling, just because he might be less controlling with your ex doesn't mean it's normal. How he's acting is not normal.

Sorry..it's really not my business...it's just every time you describe this stuff it makes me want to hit him with that frying pan!

Songbird76

The picky eating is one thing that gets better as they get older. He used to eat nothing but chicken strips and PB&J and wouldn't eat any snacks in the parks. My mom used to have to pack Goldfish and lug them around the park.

Now he'll eat pizza, fried chicken, and asian-style food. He'll also eat the quick service at Pandora because it's close enough to Asian style. He'll do the chicken at Flame Tree Barbeque too; we used to have to get him just french fries. For breakfast he'll eat Mickey waffles, bacon, or pancakes if we're doing a sit down breakfast. For a quick breakfast, he'll do cinnamon buns or donuts from Joffery's (the vanilla with sprinkles, not the chocolate ones. He's like me in that respect; we do not like chocolate icing). He'll snack on a churro or a cookie during the day. French fries are also a good standby.

He will not eat fruit except for apple sauce. He does not like pasta in any way, shape or form. He won't try Mexican. Which sucks, because pasta and Mexican are my two favorites, and I'm not big on the Asian. With the exception of PB&J, he does not eat sandwiches, which is why we were amazed that he wanted to try a burger. It's taken him 18 years to get to that point. He also doesn't want anything fancy. For instance, we could get him to eat steak at Le Cellier, but he just wanted it plain with fries. Try to make it too fancy, and he doesn't want it.

My mom went to a seminar where an adult with autism explained food aversion. He said it's very visual, at least for him. For instance, that person said he will eat pizza, but not lasagna. He knows that basically, lasagna is cheese and tomato sauce, like pizza, but because of the way it looks, he can't bring himself to eat it. Textures and temperature can also be an issue. B won't eat anything cold aside from maybe a few bites of ice cream here and there.
Yeah, for A the texture is HUGE. He LOVES McDonald's chicken nuggets, but there have been a couple of times we've gone there and he ended up in tears because the chicken nuggets weren't crisp enough and he didn't like them. And he's very picky within the things he does like...he will eat pizza, but only one brand of deep freeze pizza, nothing in a restaurant or delivery. He wouldn't even try the pizza at Via Napoli. And like you said, nothing fancy. A lot of times, places try to dress it up to make it special, but then he won't eat it. When we were at Universal, we were having a hard time finding something for him and he desperately wanted chocolate cake and we were scouring menus but couldn't find a thing. My husband called the concierge at the hotel and she contacted the hotel restaurant who said no problem. We went to pick it up and they were so so nice...they gave it to us for free (we had explained the situation) and we were so grateful. But they tried to make it special by putting some sort of fruit filling and whipped cream on top...he won't eat any fruit at all, so we had to take all the "fancy" stuff off.
We do the same thing you used to do...just order the fries. But even that is iffy....he won't eat home fries or steak fries or anything...just plain french fries, so we spent a lot of time at Disney looking for places that had plain french fries. He won't eat the chicken nuggets there. But, he's only 12 now, so maybe in another 6 years, we'll get him to try a burger. He won't eat pasta either...he'll eat plain fussili noodles with a bit of salt, but he won't eat any sauces on it, he won't eat macaroni or spaghetti or penne, etc. Only fussili.

Question for you, does B make a mess eating? I swear you'd think A was a toddler. He gets stuff ALL over his face and hands, just like a small child, when he eats. Most kids by his age don't do that and I don't know if it's a lack of motor skills, or just that eating feels weird and so he handles it differently or what. Just curious if B is that way, too.

StarWarsGirl

Question for you, does B make a mess eating? I swear you'd think A was a toddler. He gets stuff ALL over his face and hands, just like a small child, when he eats. Most kids by his age don't do that and I don't know if it's a lack of motor skills, or just that eating feels weird and so he handles it differently or what. Just curious if B is that way, too.
Depends on what it is. Cotton candy and funnel cakes (I forgot....two things he eats as well) yup, all over his face, hands, everywhere. My mom and I carry wipes in WDW and Hershey. He's pretty good about anything with utensils, but I notice when I clean up from dinner that his place mat is always the messiest. It was worse when he was younger.

In WDW the thing that was driving us batty was the bathroom floor...water all over the place. He never used to do that. We have no idea what the issue is. He was doing it when I was sharing a bathroom with him in Hilton Head. I was constantly nagging him to clean up the water off the bathroom floor. He doesn't do it at home, so I don't know what the problem was. I'm not neat by any stretch of the imagination, but my dad said last trip that B was getting the messy award because I was neater than he was.

Songbird76

Just from what your saying, still makes him sound controlling, just because he might be less controlling with your ex doesn't mean it's normal. How he's acting is not normal.

Sorry..it's really not my business...it's just every time you describe this stuff it makes me want to hit him with that frying pan!
Huh...I hadn't really thought about that. He's not NEARLY as bad as my mom or my ex, so I guess it never occurred to me that it was controlling. And he doesn't get MAD when I disagree with him. I just tell him I'm doing it my way and if he doesn't like it, too bad. I couldn't do that with my mom or my ex. They were both so...manipulative I guess? My ex would burst into tears and make me feel guilty for doing whatever I did, like watching a movie without him, or wanting to hang out with my choir friends, or my brother. My mom would hold things over my head, berate me, and just ignore me. Maybe it's not normal how he behaves, but I'd also guess that everyone has some annoying habits that most people would consider not normal. But thank you so much for validating my feelings. My husband does not always realize when he's being a jerk. It's nice to know that it's not just me thinking he was being a jerk and that it was not acceptable. We've had that discussion before where I tell him to stop being a jerk and he doesn't see that he is. Sometimes I'd like to have a hidden camera so he could see himself in those moments...and I suppose I probably have moments where I wouldn't be too proud to see myself recorded, either.

Songbird76

Depends on what it is. Cotton candy and funnel cakes (I forgot....two things he eats as well) yup, all over his face, hands, everywhere. My mom and I carry wipes in WDW and Hershey. He's pretty good about anything with utensils, but I notice when I clean up from dinner that his place mat is always the messiest. It was worse when he was younger.

In WDW the thing that was driving us batty was the bathroom floor...water all over the place. He never used to do that. We have no idea what the issue is. He was doing it when I was sharing a bathroom with him in Hilton Head. I was constantly nagging him to clean up the water off the bathroom floor. He doesn't do it at home, so I don't know what the problem was. I'm not neat by any stretch of the imagination, but my dad said last trip that B was getting the messy award because I was neater than he was.
I carry wipes EVERYWHERE! I notice A holds utensils differently, too, just like a little kid does. He HAS had physical therapy for fine motor skills...his handwriting is illegible. So I suppose that could be part of it, but anything with chocolate...a muffin, a donut, a cookie, it's going to be all over. And any dish with rice, if we can get him to eat it, it will end up all over the table too. But he won't eat cotton candy or funnel cakes. He will eat plain chocolate ice cream, or vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce, but no whipped cream or garnish on it. And ice cream is probably the messiest.
A gets water all over the bathroom, too. But I think that's mostly because he turns the water off and steps right out and comes in to use the hair dryer. I dry off before I step out of the shower. He's not proficient with the towel. He'll grab it on his way out of the shower, but he doesn't really use it to dry off, so he drips water in his wake. I think the towel might feel rough to him, so he doesn't like it against his skin?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom