The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

So my friend and I opted on going to a shopping center about ten minutes away for each of us and went to California Pizza Kitchen for dinner and drinks. We were thinking of going to the mall, where there's a TGI Fridays and a Cheesecake Factory, but decided to go someplace closer for both of us.

Good thing we did because there was a fire at the mall at around 7:30 in the food court and everyone had to evacuate. Not that we would have been near the food court (the restaurants are on the outer edge of the mall and the food court is in the center) but still.

Songbird76

Mini trip Part 2

On the next day...

We woke up fairly late. We wanted to take it easy because at night it was going to be the show.

We had one plan.. get breakfast from a famous Baron's house turned into store/restaurant. Then look around for a restaurant to eat in the afternoon before heading to the Zocalo (the main plaza infront of the presidential buildings and governor's ) to find stuff to see and maybe shop stuff.

First it was Breakfast at SAMBORN's at CASA DE LOS AZULEJOS.
It was a rich man's house that was entirely adorned from all sides with mexican tiles.
There was a gruesome murder with a knife there. where a man stabbed the owner in the stairs ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_de_los_Azulejos https://local.mx/ciudad-de-mexico/arquitectura/casa-del-conde-del-valle-de-orizaba-casa-de-los-azulejos/ )
The murderer was then executed infront of the small plaza that existed then (which is in the area where the churches of yesterday's post was).
This place was later bough by two brothers who founded the department store called SANBORNS. This expanded into a restaurant before being bought by Carlos Slim ( Mexico's richest b...rd)

View attachment 419084

View attachment 419083

This building is also listing slightly, you can feel the "leaning" when you enter.. and one of the corners is sunken (on the department store side, outside the restaurant courtyard).
Hence thy wheres a few reinforcement bars.

After eating, we walked around.. trying to find the famous Cantina Opera.
Famous for having served most influential Mexican politicians, artists, rebels and revolutionaries.
There is a famous claim that a bullet shot by Pancho Villa still exists there.
https://reurbano.mx/la-opera-el-art...-cantina-mas-alla-del-balazo-de-pancho-villa/

It served a variety of food. We were going to meet there with my nephew later on. We just needed to locate it.
Conveniently, it was less than a block and half from our hotel.

View attachment 419082

After that, we went our way to walk around towards the ZOCALO. Where it was packed by a protest by Taxis (who are demanding Uber and Didi be removed, the entire population gives them the finger because thetaxi service is extremely lackluster and ugly. Plus they cheat in the electrical counter to charge you more lol), Also a yearly Book fair, and some small stands offering typical food from different states.

But first, we went to the Cathedral. Its been ages since I set foot there and most of what I remember is vague and hazy. We're talking almost 20+ years since I was there.

View attachment 419081

View attachment 419080
There were a lot of stuff related to the commemoration of Pope Jean Paul II visit to Mexico.

View attachment 419078

View attachment 419077

The place is fantastic. It has so many things to see. Its REALLY BIG.
It contains more than 12 chapels, 3 big towered fronts, a crypt, a rosary section, twin organs with exquisite detail and a few additional churches embedded to give multiple services at same time.

View attachment 419096

View attachment 419097
A view of the organs..

Will continue later today.
I love love love all the old buildings, churches in particular. When I came to visit my husband before I was married, my mother requested pictures of churches. I had wanted to send her to Europe to visit before she passed away, but she wasn't up to it. But her whole family was from Germany, so she had always wanted to go there, and she was a staunch Lutheran and wanted to see European churches. I've always loved the architecture of them....and these are beautiful as well! When you think how long they have been standing there, how many people have been through the doors and prayed, or just gawked...it's pretty impressive!

Songbird76

I think you are doing great. You are raising someone who will be able to take care of himself when he is older. I am home all day with mine so I could easily do everything for them, and to be honest, it is tough to let them do things around the house on their own because I am a tad bit controlling. ;) My kids will all get their own breakfast now, whether it is something as simple as putting a frozen waffle in the oven, or something as fancy as avocado toast. Today we skipped school to do a massive house clean-up since we have visitors coming. They did their own rooms and they looked as clean as if I had done it. They offered to mop the floors and vacuum the carpets as well. The 2 youngest also voluntarily cleaned 2 of our bathrooms. I was so proud of them all. I didn’t need to ask for the help. They had enough self motivation and independence to do it on their own. This shows me that when they are out on their own one day, which will happen sooner than later that they will not be useless adults. T will not be useless, and I guarantee he will be a success at anything he wants to do because you have taught him well.
^^^This. And to be honest, when I was T's age, I would have given anything to get to pick out my own school clothes. My mom chose my clothes for me up until I was in junior high, and the first day of 7th grade, she wouldn't let me pick my own clothes and insisted I had to wear either a dress or slacks and a blouse. The only dress I had was a hand-me-down from a friend who was quite a bit bigger than me, so she had worn it several years before. It was 1988 I think? And the dress I had was something like this, but lavender checkers.
80s dress.jpg

You can imagine I didn't want to wear that on my first day of jr. high. I would have been a laughing stock. As it was, I was forced to wear ill fitting canary yellow pants that ballooned out in front and were a bit too short, and a yellow and white referee style striped blouse. (also hand me downs) I looked like a clown, but mom insisted I had to make a good impression on my teachers. I think the only impression I probably made was that they pitied my sense of style, or lack there of. I was asked so many times that day why I was dressed like that, and kids laughed...it was embarrassing.
And even in first grade, I remember one day....it was homecoming week and both the high school and the elementary school did "spirit week" for homecoming. Each day was a different theme, the Friday being Black and Gold day (school colors), and your class got points for how many people dressed up for the theme. So one day might be Hat Day, one day might be Crazy Hair Day, or Come as You're Not Day. This particular one was Twins Day....you were supposed to pick a friend and dress alike. There was a friend of mine from class and church, and teachers always got us mixed up because we both had long brown hair and freckles. We decided to dress alike and we were talking about what we had that matched. We had both been in the Missoula Children's Theater production of Johnny Appleseed, and we had both bought the t-shirt, which was red. And being 6 year old girls, we both had pink pants. I think they were even both corduroy. We even decided on matching accessories....we both had a teddybear lapel pin. So that morning, I told mom it was Twin day at school and Khara and I were supposed to dress alike, and this is what we had that matched. Mom absolutely refused...no way was I wearing pink pants with a red shirt....what would people think??? I begged, I cried, I kept telling her we got points for it and if I wasn't dressed up, I'd be letting my class down. I was almost late for school because I wouldn't wear anything else. Finally mom threw her hands in the air and said I could wear it, but I was never again to sign up for something like that without her permission. I knew I wasn't allowed to pick out my own clothes, and I shouldn't have agreed to dress like twins with someone else. (That's what she told me) In the long run, what was the harm in me dressing in mismatched clothing? It wasn't unsafe, it just wasn't what she liked. And I doubt anyone remembers what I wore that one day....the only reason I remember it myself was because of the drama it caused.
I doubt T minds dressing himself. At least he wears what he likes and what's comfortable. My kids have both been picking out their own clothes and getting dressed themselves since they were about 4 or 5. A required help until we switched to jogging pants, because he didn't have the motor skills for the buttons and zippers, but other than that, he's always preferred to do it himself. There are so few things children get to choose for themselves, they loved getting to pick their clothes, and I let them because I remembered how much I hated it that I didn't get to. E came up with some real doozies when she was young....checkers and polka dots together, for example, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't really important what she looked like. She was learning to make decisions herself, learning what she liked and what she didn't, and learning how to tie shoes and do up buttons, etc. I don't think they are any worse off for it. We don't have to control every breath they take.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think you are doing great. You are raising someone who will be able to take care of himself when he is older. I am home all day with mine so I could easily do everything for them, and to be honest, it is tough to let them do things around the house on their own because I am a tad bit controlling. ;) My kids will all get their own breakfast now, whether it is something as simple as putting a frozen waffle in the oven, or something as fancy as avocado toast. Today we skipped school to do a massive house clean-up since we have visitors coming. They did their own rooms and they looked as clean as if I had done it. They offered to mop the floors and vacuum the carpets as well. The 2 youngest also voluntarily cleaned 2 of our bathrooms. I was so proud of them all. I didn’t need to ask for the help. They had enough self motivation and independence to do it on their own. This shows me that when they are out on their own one day, which will happen sooner than later that they will not be useless adults. T will not be useless, and I guarantee he will be a success at anything he wants to do because you have taught him well.

You've done quite well with those kids!! :happy:

Rista1313

^^^This. And to be honest, when I was T's age, I would have given anything to get to pick out my own school clothes. My mom chose my clothes for me up until I was in junior high, and the first day of 7th grade, she wouldn't let me pick my own clothes and insisted I had to wear either a dress or slacks and a blouse. The only dress I had was a hand-me-down from a friend who was quite a bit bigger than me, so she had worn it several years before. It was 1988 I think? And the dress I had was something like this, but lavender checkers.
View attachment 419157

You can imagine I didn't want to wear that on my first day of jr. high. I would have been a laughing stock. As it was, I was forced to wear ill fitting canary yellow pants that ballooned out in front and were a bit too short, and a yellow and white referee style striped blouse. (also hand me downs) I looked like a clown, but mom insisted I had to make a good impression on my teachers. I think the only impression I probably made was that they pitied my sense of style, or lack there of. I was asked so many times that day why I was dressed like that, and kids laughed...it was embarrassing.
And even in first grade, I remember one day....it was homecoming week and both the high school and the elementary school did "spirit week" for homecoming. Each day was a different theme, the Friday being Black and Gold day (school colors), and your class got points for how many people dressed up for the theme. So one day might be Hat Day, one day might be Crazy Hair Day, or Come as You're Not Day. This particular one was Twins Day....you were supposed to pick a friend and dress alike. There was a friend of mine from class and church, and teachers always got us mixed up because we both had long brown hair and freckles. We decided to dress alike and we were talking about what we had that matched. We had both been in the Missoula Children's Theater production of Johnny Appleseed, and we had both bought the t-shirt, which was red. And being 6 year old girls, we both had pink pants. I think they were even both corduroy. We even decided on matching accessories....we both had a teddybear lapel pin. So that morning, I told mom it was Twin day at school and Khara and I were supposed to dress alike, and this is what we had that matched. Mom absolutely refused...no way was I wearing pink pants with a red shirt....what would people think??? I begged, I cried, I kept telling her we got points for it and if I wasn't dressed up, I'd be letting my class down. I was almost late for school because I wouldn't wear anything else. Finally mom threw her hands in the air and said I could wear it, but I was never again to sign up for something like that without her permission. I knew I wasn't allowed to pick out my own clothes, and I shouldn't have agreed to dress like twins with someone else. (That's what she told me) In the long run, what was the harm in me dressing in mismatched clothing? It wasn't unsafe, it just wasn't what she liked. And I doubt anyone remembers what I wore that one day....the only reason I remember it myself was because of the drama it caused.
I doubt T minds dressing himself. At least he wears what he likes and what's comfortable. My kids have both been picking out their own clothes and getting dressed themselves since they were about 4 or 5. A required help until we switched to jogging pants, because he didn't have the motor skills for the buttons and zippers, but other than that, he's always preferred to do it himself. There are so few things children get to choose for themselves, they loved getting to pick their clothes, and I let them because I remembered how much I hated it that I didn't get to. E came up with some real doozies when she was young....checkers and polka dots together, for example, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't really important what she looked like. She was learning to make decisions herself, learning what she liked and what she didn't, and learning how to tie shoes and do up buttons, etc. I don't think they are any worse off for it. We don't have to control every breath they take.

I don't know what emotion to put on this... it makes me feel sad and agreeing all at the same time.

MouseDreaming

There was a morning last week where I decided to go into work later, I had a horrible cold and chest congestion, just needed a morning to soak in a bath and have some resting alone time.

I cried after T went to school, something just hit me that morning. T gets up to his own alarm via his Echo every morning at 6:15am. He then takes a uniform out of his closet, gets dressed, makes his bed, brushes his teeth, fixes his hair, and then comes in the kitchen to make himself breakfast- usually a waffle or cereal. I’m getting ready at the same time and try to talk to him while he’s eating. Then he exercises or reviews whatever a test is on that day. Then, he goes and stands on the porch to wait for his ride. (We carpool this year)

It hit me that when I was 9 years old, I didn’t do any of that. My mom had my uniform hanging on my door. She woke me up. I didn’t make my bed. I definitely didn’t make my own breakfast. She always had a hot breakfast waiting for me. I don’t even think I had used a toaster myself at that time. If I had to study she would be there with a guide waiting to review with me... not leaving me alone or asking questions as she was putting on makeup in the mirror. She gave me her full attention.

He is so independent and responsible (most of the time) for his age, out of necessity, because he doesn’t have another option.

It just hit me that morning, guilt over the differences in our childhoods and the different pressures he has on him. All I can do is hope that he doesn’t ever look back on it with regret.. or feel too burdened now.
I do have strict rules about grades (which my parents had as well when I was a child), and will continue those rules.. but there’s a difference in my mind between having a B in a class because you studied hard and just didn’t grasp the subject matter well enough, and getting a B when you could have had an A if just applied yourself more.
It may take awhile, but some day, he will look back and marvel at everything you did, while keeping a household running.

Cesar R M

Mini Trip Report Part 3:

More pictures of the Cathedral.

20191011_120418.jpg

20191011_120500.jpg

20191011_120558.jpg

20191011_120631.jpg

Most of these "retablos" are between 1600 and 1700 B.C. Most are made by wood and contains either paintings of the same era or statues.

20191011_120659.jpg

20191011_120752.jpg

20191011_120821.jpg
And the main one above....
Right behind the great altar.
Called "Altar of the Kings".
20191011_120900.jpg

And one of the sides..
20191011_120926.jpg

One of the multiple chapels (1 out of 22, most are closed to the public because of damage).
20191011_121222.jpg

A good view of the whole thing: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cated...oquis_de_Catedral_Metropolitana_CD_Mexico.svg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Mini Trip Report Part 3:

View attachment 419200

View attachment 419199

View attachment 419198

View attachment 419197

Most of these "retablos" are between 1600 and 1700 B.C. Most are made by wood and contains either paintings of the same era or statues.

View attachment 419196

View attachment 419195

View attachment 419194
View attachment 419193

And one of the sides..
View attachment 419192

One of the multiple chapels (1 out of 22, most are closed to the public because of damage).
View attachment 419191

A good view of the whole thing: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catedral_Metropolitana_de_la_Ciudad_de_México#/media/Archivo:Croquis_de_Catedral_Metropolitana_CD_Mexico.svg

Beautiful pictures it looks like you had a fun adventure.

wdwfan4ver

I got something that I'm shaking my head. I got a printed piece of paper basically is stating they are doing the same as they did last year for trick or treating:rolleyes:.

The neighborhood I live in is going to pass out candy Friday from 6 to 8 at night, and than on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. That means there will be trick or treating 2 times in less than a 48 hours time span. There are other blocks around my area are doing the same thing.

I am not handing any candy out for sure. I do feel sorry for the people handing out candy due to the cost of handing out candy for Trick or treating 2 times in less than 48 hours.

The fact is the neighborhood on Sunday afternoons gets anywhere from 750 to over a 1,000 trick or treaters for 3 hours without counting the trick or treating on Friday night:jawdrop:. I don't care how people spin it, it is a lot of treats that needs to be bough for 2 trick or treating events.

The other thing is Trick or treaters or supposed to go peoples houses once a year, not 2 times a year for treats. I grew up only doing trick or at people's houses once a year. There were years that I wore Halloween customs more than 1 day a year, but it was for stuff like my local grade school had a Halloween custom parade or the local mall passing out treats on a different day than the houses did.

I am not handing out or helping due to a combination of factors. There is way too much drama and is an out of control mad house in terms of trick or treating. The drama has lot of stuff that didn't exist in my day like trying to video tape the inside of a persons house during trick or treating, idiot dog owners that have their dogs dressed up and expect you to give them chocolate, people try to damage decorations during trick or treating hours including parents, and kids demanding what type off candy you want.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

So it was 35 degrees this morning. 40 when we went to the downtown area for the fall fest. It was freezing and my youngest was a kidsicle in her leggings and team shirt. The kids overall did a good job showing off skills, but my little one was shivering at one point waiting for them to start another part of their routine. She was not a happy camper and did not smile at all. Luckily it was just one hour. I got a few pictures. There was a farmers market today. Purple peppers @figmentfan423 . We also went on a walk to our local park. 414D35E2-0941-46C4-A089-69EC182F899B.jpegEB51C12D-6DDF-4A19-A0B6-6657C21E7E2E.jpeg
6DF309D3-D71B-4620-AFAD-F0C70B9FD785.jpeg64A19794-2FC3-4877-8483-5BE49F9CDA45.jpeg8F7D93E9-CE5E-4913-977E-231D22C26FC8.jpeg4FAB3F21-9CF9-4DBB-AAA8-753E37D1C325.jpeg

The last picture of the sign always kills me. Don’t lose the privilege of cleaning up after your dog? I never thought of that as a privilege. I would love to lose that. :D I know what they mean of course, just really poorly worded.3D09E535-AB04-47B5-AAE3-310435ECA62F.jpeg

donaldtoo

So it was 35 degrees this morning. 40 when we went to the downtown area for the fall fest. It was freezing and my youngest was a kidsicle in her leggings and team shirt. The kids overall did a good job showing off skills, but my little one was shivering at one point waiting for them to start another part of their routine. She was not a happy camper and did not smile at all. Luckily it was just one hour. I got a few pictures. There was a farmers market today. Purple peppers @figmentfan423 . We also went on a walk to our local park. View attachment 419207View attachment 419208
View attachment 419209View attachment 419213View attachment 419210View attachment 419211

The last picture of the sign always kills me. Don’t lose the privilege of cleaning up after your dog? I never thought of that as a privilege. I would love to lose that. :D I know what they mean of course, just really poorly worded.View attachment 419212

The like is for everything except the cold...!!! ;)

donaldtoo

@donaldtoo , you're probably exhausted at work this week, trying to catch up. Hope you get a few minutes this weekend to share a picture or two of your cruise. (Also, I'm dying to hear about Emy -- did she enjoy it? I'm sure she was the best dressed on the cruise ship, too!) ;)

I second this @donaldtoo . Very patiently waiting until you have some spare moments to share your vacation pictures and commentary.

Thanks guys...!!! :)
Has indeed been busy at work, but, to be honest, I’ve been goin’ through more “post cruise blues” (I know, major first world problems :rolleyes:;)) than issues at work.
There were 3 ladies that we met on our morning of debarkation that were actually not gettin’ off the boat and goin’ ‘round again...they saved and planned for it for over a year-and-a-half...I wished so much we could have all gone ‘round again...!!!!! :hilarious:

I hope to start with a mini TR here in the next coupla’ days...I need to get the cruise TR posted before our “Worldwind” one day, fly in
that mornin’ fly out that night, Oct. 29th WDW trip, so I can post a mini TR about that the next day that I also took PTO for...!!! :)

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope to get to it soon...!!!!! :happy:

StarWarsGirl

My parents and B got back from being "down the ocean" as my dad says (or back from Ocean City). My dad...

Dad: Now I bought myself something.
Me: You did?
Dad: And you're going to be really jealous.
Me: Uh huh, sure.
Dad: But you can't have it.
Me: *raises an eyebrow*
Dad: *pulls out a Ty Beanie Baby Dumbo*
Me: :facepalm::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Yeah, it was actually for me.😂 I may be a grown woman, but I still like my Dumbos.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Mini Trip Report Part 3:

View attachment 419200

View attachment 419199

View attachment 419198

View attachment 419197

View attachment 419196

View attachment 419195

View attachment 419194
View attachment 419193

And one of the sides..
View attachment 419192

View attachment 419191

A good view of the whole thing: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catedral_Metropolitana_de_la_Ciudad_de_México#/media/Archivo:Croquis_de_Catedral_Metropolitana_CD_Mexico.svg

Seriously Cesar -- jaw dropping photos!! These are just as ornate and spectacular as any shrines in the Vatican.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I got something that I'm shaking my head. I got a printed piece of paper basically is stating they are doing the same as they did last year for trick or treating:rolleyes:.

The neighborhood I live in is going to pass out candy Friday from 6 to 8 at night, and than on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. That means there will be trick or treating 2 times in less than a 48 hours time span. There are other blocks around my area are doing the same thing.

I am not handing any candy out for sure. I do feel sorry for the people handing out candy due to the cost of handing out candy for Trick or treating 2 times in less than 48 hours.

The fact is the neighborhood on Sunday afternoons gets anywhere from 750 to over a 1,000 trick or treaters for 3 hours without counting the trick or treating on Friday night:jawdrop:. I don't care how people spin it, it is a lot of treats that needs to be bough for 2 trick or treating events.

The other thing is Trick or treaters or supposed to go peoples houses once a year, not 2 times a year for treats. I grew up only doing trick or at people's houses once a year. There were years that I wore Halloween customs more than 1 day a year, but it was for stuff like my local grade school had a Halloween custom parade or the local mall passing out treats on a different day than the houses did.

I am not handing out or helping due to a combination of factors. There is way too much drama and is an out of control mad house in terms of trick or treating. The drama has lot of stuff that didn't exist in my day like trying to video tape the inside of a persons house during trick or treating, idiot dog owners that have their dogs dressed up and expect you to give them chocolate, people try to damage decorations during trick or treating hours including parents, and kids demanding what type off candy you want.

This is insanity. ONE afternoon, evening, whatever, is all that is necessary. It's been that way for ages. What idiots came up with this 2-day idea? People should say no. Pick one of the two days, and then turn off outside lights for the 2nd day. Enough is enough.

And as usual, the cost of the candy bags increases each year, and the bags are getting smaller, for the more money they charge. We generally have anywhere from maybe 35 - 80 kids (varies each year), and it can get pricey. Plus, we don't know any of the kids, to begin with. LOL . . . ;) (Still, when I was a kid people gave out candy, so I think it's only right that I carry on the tradition! But ONE day only!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom