The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

I don't know what emotion to put on this... it makes me feel sad and agreeing all at the same time.
Aw, don't feel sad. My mom and I butted heads over a lot of things, but she WAS there for me when it really counted. And what teen DOESN'T ever disagree with their parents? Yes, I have some residual resentment, but I learned so much about what doesn't work in parenting. The biggest thing I learned was you can't have rules just to have control. The rules need to serve a purpose....they need to be for safety or order, etc. Don't just ban a hairstyle because you don't like it. But if it's snowing outside and your kids don't want to put on coats, that's the battle to fight. My mom's rules were overly controlling and never let me make a mistake or earn privileges. Even if I was home on time every day for years and got straight As, the reins never loosened. And since I never got to make a decision myself, I couldn't learn how to have good judgment or to be independent. That's what I want to avoid with my kids. I want them to learn that it's not up to me what they like or dislike and as long as it's not hurting anyone or unsafe, etc, that they should have some control over their own lives. But that also means taking responsibility when they make a mistake. You start with small things like picking out clothes....then you move on to more difficult tasks. It's a process...it doesn't happen overnight. But you have to give them the opportunity to do it so they see themselves doing well and improving. That's what I missed when I was young and I always lacked confidence and always second guess everything as an adult. It drives my husband nuts that I won't make a decision without him, because I'm always afraid he'll disagree and then I think I must be wrong. I want my kids to learn the skills I never did.

MySmallWorldof4

I got something that I'm shaking my head. I got a printed piece of paper basically is stating they are doing the same as they did last year for trick or treating:rolleyes:.

The neighborhood I live in is going to pass out candy Friday from 6 to 8 at night, and than on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. That means there will be trick or treating 2 times in less than a 48 hours time span. There are other blocks around my area are doing the same thing.

I am not handing any candy out for sure. I do feel sorry for the people handing out candy due to the cost of handing out candy for Trick or treating 2 times in less than 48 hours.

The fact is the neighborhood on Sunday afternoons gets anywhere from 750 to over a 1,000 trick or treaters for 3 hours without counting the trick or treating on Friday night:jawdrop:. I don't care how people spin it, it is a lot of treats that needs to be bough for 2 trick or treating events.

The other thing is Trick or treaters or supposed to go peoples houses once a year, not 2 times a year for treats. I grew up only doing trick or at people's houses once a year. There were years that I wore Halloween customs more than 1 day a year, but it was for stuff like my local grade school had a Halloween custom parade or the local mall passing out treats on a different day than the houses did.

I am not handing out or helping due to a combination of factors. There is way too much drama and is an out of control mad house in terms of trick or treating. The drama has lot of stuff that didn't exist in my day like trying to video tape the inside of a persons house during trick or treating, idiot dog owners that have their dogs dressed up and expect you to give them chocolate, people try to damage decorations during trick or treating hours including parents, and kids demanding what type off candy you want.
This is insanity. ONE afternoon, evening, whatever, is all that is necessary. It's been that way for ages. What idiots came up with this 2-day idea? People should say no. Pick one of the two days, and then turn off outside lights for the 2nd day. Enough is enough.

And as usual, the cost of the candy bags increases each year, and the bags are getting smaller, for the more money they charge. We generally have anywhere from maybe 35 - 80 kids (varies each year), and it can get pricey. Plus, we don't know any of the kids, to begin with. LOL . . . ;) (Still, when I was a kid people gave out candy, so I think it's only right that I carry on the tradition! But ONE day only!!)
One day only here. Halloween from 6-8pm. Be there, or you are out of luck. This year we got those giant bags from Walmart that had candy that was all non chocolate. It was cheaper than the chocolate ones. Anyway if you don’t want trick or treaters just turn off your lights. Here, if your front porch lights are off, no one is supposed to knock. We only get a small amount of kids here. The amount keeps dwindling as kids grow up and go to college.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Recently, a few people here were discussing those food sealer machines. I just noticed on a local ad this morning that there are now much smaller "hand held" sealer machines (you charge them up first). Target, Walmart, Amazon and others sell them, and they're way more compact -- and use those same type (brand) of sealer bags. Just thought I'd mention this. Prices for 2 different models range from $15 - $27 on sale.

MySmallWorldof4

Recently, a few people here were discussing those food sealer machines. I just noticed on a local ad this morning that there are now much smaller "hand held" sealer machines (you charge them up first). Target, Walmart, Amazon and others sell them, and they're way more compact -- and use those same type (brand) of sealer bags. Just thought I'd mention this. Prices for 2 different models range from $15 - $27 on sale.
That is really helpful. 🙂

MySmallWorldof4

Woke up stupid early spectate at the Nationwide Children's Marathon and been stuck in traffic for a half hour 😂😂 I have one hour left to find parking which sounded like the easiest thing ever but now I'm not so sure 😂😂
Wow. Maybe Nationwide Will Be On Your Side and the traffic will magically disappear, and you will see the perfect parking spot that has the sun shining over it. 😉

Goofyernmost

I got something that I'm shaking my head. I got a printed piece of paper basically is stating they are doing the same as they did last year for trick or treating:rolleyes:.

The neighborhood I live in is going to pass out candy Friday from 6 to 8 at night, and than on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. That means there will be trick or treating 2 times in less than a 48 hours time span. There are other blocks around my area are doing the same thing.

I am not handing any candy out for sure. I do feel sorry for the people handing out candy due to the cost of handing out candy for Trick or treating 2 times in less than 48 hours.

The fact is the neighborhood on Sunday afternoons gets anywhere from 750 to over a 1,000 trick or treaters for 3 hours without counting the trick or treating on Friday night:jawdrop:. I don't care how people spin it, it is a lot of treats that needs to be bough for 2 trick or treating events.

The other thing is Trick or treaters or supposed to go peoples houses once a year, not 2 times a year for treats. I grew up only doing trick or at people's houses once a year. There were years that I wore Halloween customs more than 1 day a year, but it was for stuff like my local grade school had a Halloween custom parade or the local mall passing out treats on a different day than the houses did.

I am not handing out or helping due to a combination of factors. There is way too much drama and is an out of control mad house in terms of trick or treating. The drama has lot of stuff that didn't exist in my day like trying to video tape the inside of a persons house during trick or treating, idiot dog owners that have their dogs dressed up and expect you to give them chocolate, people try to damage decorations during trick or treating hours including parents, and kids demanding what type off candy you want.
I certainly cannot speak for you, but I would easily solve that problem by not being available one of those nights. As far as my kids participating, one night of candy would be more then enough. I'd like to do them a favor and let them have teeth when they reach old age and not be a diabetic. If they want to go out twice one of those nights should be collecting for charity, Unicef, or the like. With instructions that they do not accept any candy. It's not as cruel as it sounds.

Video taping the inside of your house, seriously? Did that really happen or was that some baseless rumor started by someone with heavy duty paranoiac problems? In all my years of dealing with trick or treaters that was not a problem because they never get inside my house. I stand in my doorway and just put candy in their bags. If they don't like what I give them, they can always go to one of the neighbors and get something better. I only did decorations once when my kids were small and never did it again. Halloween has never been one of my favorite fake holidays.

MySmallWorldof4

I certainly cannot speak for you, but I would easily solve that problem by not being available one of those nights. As far as my kids participating, one night of candy would be more then enough. I'd like to do them a favor and let them have teeth when they reach old age and not be a diabetic. If they want to go out twice one of those nights should be collecting for charity, Unicef, or the like. With instructions that they do not accept any candy. It's not as cruel as it sounds.

Video taping the inside of your house, seriously? Did that really happen or was that some baseless rumor started by someone with heavy duty paranoiac problems? In all my years of dealing with trick or treaters that was not a problem because they never get inside my house. I stand in my doorway and just put candy in their bags. If they don't like what I give them, they can always go to one of the neighbors and get something better. I only did decorations once when my kids were small and never did it again. Halloween has never been one of my favorite fake holidays.
Yeah, I never heard of anyone that goes in someones house for trick or treat.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Wow. Maybe Nationwide Will Be On Your Side and the traffic will magically disappear, and you will see the perfect parking spot that has the sun shining over it. 😉

I was able to park in my normal work garage, but they wouldn't let me use my monthly parking pass 😂😂 had enough time though to go inside my work and use the clean uncrowded warm bathroom 😂😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom