The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Not that I know anything at all about soccer, baseball, etc., but to play devil's advocate here -- "maybe" this particular coach has seen some genuine talent in T. Perhaps he feels that if T continues with him, T will excel. Perhaps he's just looking out for the best for T, and maybe the way he chose to deliver the message might not have been the best approach.

Obviouisly, the final decision is both yours and T's, not the coach's. But again, this was just a random thought I had.

I like the way this coach directs the team during games, much better than our last one.
I also think T is learning a lot from him.

But, this team has just been plagued with coaches being thrown at us at the last minute.. too busy to properly dedicate time. It has resulted in 5 cancelled training sessions and a lot of upset parents.
That’s one thing.

Another is we have 2 subs, 9 players in a 7v7 league .. always the same 2 boys subbing, those subs have not had more than 11 minutes playing time in 1 game. This past weekend they didn’t have more than 6 minutes tops.
There are players who are visibly tired and need to come out, but he still won’t sub.
T cried after a game in 90something degrees because he said that the coach kept yelling at him to run in the end, and he couldn’t run anymore unless he had water- and the coach told him to suck it up and keep playing. T was mad that another boy got to “rest in the shade”. He didn’t want all of that playing time, he NEEDED water!!! He wasn’t the only one. When a 9 year old wants to willingly take a break, and you have another kid (we only had 1 extra player that game) who is just sitting on the bench.. give the players a break! Rotate the sub so everyone can get water!!! Everyone’s happy at that point. We lost that game.. because our boys were so tired by the last 10 minutes, the other team scored twice in the end to beat us by one. Our defense totally broke down out of exhaustion. One kid puked after the game. I’m sorry, I get that this coach has a great record, but noone can convince me that a mediocre rested player isn’t better on the field than an overextended good player- he’s not good at the point.

Lastly, this coach does treat this team like high school age. No one ever switches positions. Not even the goal keepers. The GK parents are upset because they think their kids are losing field skills, and they won’t make a team without them come next tryout season. Plus, no kid wants to sit in goal at this age for an entire half, and then sit out the entire next half.

I just feel like this specific team has been thru so much.. Everyone is starting to unravel once you add it all up. Even though our past issues aren’t the fault of the coach.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm glad that I took piano lessons at T's age. No drama. ;) And actually, the piano teacher let us eat ice cream from her freezer (she taught piano at her home). There would be 4 kids in an afternoon, so while the other 3 waited, we'd chow down ice cream! We also watched TV to kill time there. It was fun. :D
Why would you eat it from the freezer ?
Why not use a bowl like normal people ?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I like the way this coach directs the team during games, much better than our last one.

But, this team has just been plagued with coaches being thrown at us at the last minute.. too busy to properly dedicate time. It has resulted in 5 cancelled training sessions and a lot of upset parents.
That’s one thing.

Another is we have 2 subs, 9 players in a 7v7 league .. always the same 2 boys subbing, those subs have not had more than 11 minutes playing time in 1 game. This past weekend they didn’t have more than 6 minutes tops.
There are players who are visibly tired and need to come out, but he still won’t sub.
T cried after a game in 90something degrees because he said that the coach kept yelling at him to run in the end, and he couldn’t run anymore unless he had water- and the coach told him to suck it up and keep playing. T was mad that another boy got to “rest in the shade”. He didn’t want all of that playing time, he NEEDED water!!! He wasn’t the only one. When a 9 year old wants to willingly take a break, and you have another kid (we only had 1 extra player that game) who is just sitting on the bench.. give the players a break! Rotate the sub so everyone can get water!!! Everyone’s happy at that point. We lost that game.. because our boys were so tired by the last 10 minutes, the other team scored twice in the end to beat us by one. Our defense totally broke down out of exhaustion. One kid puked after the game. I’m sorry, I get that this coach has a great record, but noone can convince me that a mediocre rested player isn’t better on the field than an overextended good player- he’s not good at the point.

Lastly, this coach does treat this team like high school age. No one ever switches positions. Not even the goal keepers. The GK parents are upset because they think their kids are losing field skills, and they won’t make a team without them come next tryout season. Plus, no kid wants to sit in goal at this age for an entire half, and then sit out the entire next half.

I just feel like this specific team has been thru so much.. Everyone is starting to unravel once you add it all up. Even though our past issues aren’t the fault of the coach.

That's awful that he discouraged T from drinking water in 90 degree weather?! What is he -- a drill sargent?! :jawdrop: Not to mention as you said, T is only 9 years old, for heaven's sake.

21stamps

I'm glad that I took piano lessons at T's age. No drama. ;) And actually, the piano teacher let us eat ice cream from her freezer (she taught piano at her home). There would be 4 kids in an afternoon, so while the other 3 waited, we'd chow down ice cream! We also watched TV to kill time there. It was fun. :D

that sounds fun!!

That's awful that he discouraged T from drinking water in 90 degree weather?! What is he -- a drill sargent?! :jawdrop: Not to mention as you said, T is only 9 years old, for heaven's sake.

Yeah. The boys were upset, parents were upset, and parent of the boy who barely played - they were absolutely lived.

in two weeks we’ve had 3 different parents storm off to their car in the second half of the game.

everything just boiled over last night.. I don’t think that was the plan, the meeting was about our upcoming tournament and team celebration if we win (the coach wanted to take all of the boys out for dinner). It just went south, quickly.

Cesar R M

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

View attachment 418582

We CAN’T do it!!!

Last night after practice and a volatile team meeting, T’s coach specifically told me that he wants him to play on his 3v3 team, and I’ll receive the email shortly. I said that it would be impossible to take on one more commitment right now. His response- I should “think wisely about T’s future with me”

Wth does that mean????

I can’t fit it in!! Starting in November he’s on -
his school’s basketball team.
his club Futsal team.
his club unboarded indoor team.
his school’s boarded indoor team (that I coach)

4 teams!! And we’re still not done with outdoor season until mid November, with school and the club. That’s SIX Sports/leagues for a few weeks.

We are so booked already.. there’s just no way. My son is NINE YEARS OLD. He loves soccer, he loves 3v3 and would enjoy this.. BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE of other sports!!!!
He is NOT a ONE SPORT ATHLETE.

I won’t let it happen. Not now. Not at this age.

If his coach can’t understand or at least RESPECT that. Then I don’t know what we’re going to do for the future.
I still have no idea how you manage to put that many sports on him.

Seriously, I couldn't even handle more than 2 in my youth.

Cesar R M

The coach sounds like one of those teachers in school that scheduled a test on a day when 3 others did the same thing. They always thought their class was the only important one. The coach probably wants to only continue having players that will give 100% to this team.
That or the Coach is one of these "all other things are useless, only my team, my class is the one to go, nothing else matter" kind of Coach.
Those who even make the students barely pass school and not even have a social life. Everything committed to one thing (aka giving him a trophy).

Cesar R M

I’ll answer the second question first-
NOOO!!!
I mean T loves 3v3, but we had no warning of this. We were told last night, received email today. Training for that tourney starts in a couple of weeks.. We already have other commitments during that time frame.

The meeting was volatile because there are some frustrated parents. Coach specifically named 2 boys who he thinks are the weakest players, blaming our ties and 1 loss on them. In front of ALL of the parents!!! It turned from everyone in a stunned shock silence.. to one of the boys parents losing her cool.. to the coach telling her that maybe she should voluntarily move her son down before tryouts since he will not be keeping on the team anyway.
it was so uncomfortable!! And unprofessional.

he said “I build winning teams. It’s not my responsibility to teach your kids fundamentals at this age. They should be doing that at home. Practice is basically a tryout for playing time. You can tell your kids that. If they sit, they know why. Playing time is not guaranteed. Maybe competitive soccer isn’t for everyone here. “

Finally another parent stepped in and said “With all due respect, these are 9 year olds, not your high school team. Kids need help learning a new position when they’ve been playing a different one for the past few years.”

Coach said, It’s not the position, it’s the player. I can see talent and if a kid doesn’t have it.

I think half of us were standing with our mouths wide open.
Nevermind.. confirmed.. its THAT kind of Coach.

Pretty sure his "winning team" mentality is that he ONLY wants trophies, not to teach the kids.

That’s one thing.

Might want to convince all the entire parents group to stage a full stop.
He is supposed to teach.
Not be a "manager" like he was a Manchester United team boss.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

MySmallWorldof4

I’ll answer the second question first-
NOOO!!!
I mean T loves 3v3, but we had no warning of this. We were told last night, received email today. Training for that tourney starts in a couple of weeks.. We already have other commitments during that time frame.

The meeting was volatile because there are some frustrated parents. Coach specifically named 2 boys who he thinks are the weakest players, blaming our ties and 1 loss on them. In front of ALL of the parents!!! It turned from everyone in a stunned shock silence.. to one of the boys parents losing her cool.. to the coach telling her that maybe she should voluntarily move her son down before tryouts since he will not be keeping on the team anyway.
it was so uncomfortable!! And unprofessional.

he said “I build winning teams. It’s not my responsibility to teach your kids fundamentals at this age. They should be doing that at home. Practice is basically a tryout for playing time. You can tell your kids that. If they sit, they know why. Playing time is not guaranteed. Maybe competitive soccer isn’t for everyone here. “

Finally another parent stepped in and said “With all due respect, these are 9 year olds, not your high school team. Kids need help learning a new position when they’ve been playing a different one for the past few years.”

Coach said, It’s not the position, it’s the player. I can see talent and if a kid doesn’t have it.

I think half of us were standing with our mouths wide open.
Holy cow! Take that kid out of the program or contact whoever is in charge. This is beyond belief! I have a kid in a competitive sport and no way do the coaches speak this way. They specifically do not want anyone bad mouthing any kid. They take time from each practice to practice new skills as well. How else do you improve? I am just baffled by what you wrote.

FutureCEO

I love Trader joes... but can't get out of there for less than $50 usually.. and I'm an aldi shopper.... so it's reserved for occasions when I happen to have extra money. We need a 2nd one in town... the one we have is always packed and it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay across town by my work.

If Aldi opened at 8am....I would be an Aldi shopper but it opens at 9am.

21stamps

Nevermind.. confirmed.. its THAT kind of Coach.

Pretty sure his "winning team" mentality is that he ONLY wants trophies, not to teach the kids.

Might want to convince all the entire parents group to stage a full stop.
He is supposed to teach.
Not be a "manager" like he was a Manchester United team boss.

exactly. He’s a good director during games and with tactical play. Really good at both.

I see why his high school team does so well. The problem is.. this team is a 9U team!!! They are still learning a lot more than just tactical skills.

they can’t be expected to study positions and do all technical skills on their downtime.
The high schoolers already have those fundamentals from the years of coaching leading up to high school!

Holy cow! Take that kid out of the program or contact whoever is in charge. This is beyond belief! I have a kid in a competitive sport and no way do the coaches speak this way. They specifically do not want anyone bad mouthing any kid. They take time from each practice to practice new skills as well. How else do you improve? I am just baffled by what you wrote.

I’m trying to get a group to leave. T does not want to. He loves the club and likes his coach-plus my nephew now plays for them too.. younger. If a group of us leave together, then I think I could convince him.

T may be in the group at the top now., but since he only plays 1 position (now, because the coach has a designated pigeon holed position for each player) who knows what could happen if another kid shows up to tryouts and has a better day than T has in that position.
I don’t trust them. I just don’t. I’ve seen too much/too many blindsides in the past few years.

MySmallWorldof4

exactly. He’s a good director during games and with tactical play. Really good at both.

I see why his high school team does so well. The problem is.. this team is a 9U team!!! They are still learning a lot more than just tactical skills.

they can’t be expected to study positions and do all technical skills on their downtime.
The high schoolers already have those fundamentals from the years of coaching leading up to high school!

I’m trying to get a group to leave. T does not want to. He loves the club and likes his coach-plus my nephew now plays for them too.. younger. If a group of us leave together, then I think I could convince him.

T may be in the group at the top now., but since he only plays 1 position (now, because the coach has a designated pigeon holed position for each player) who knows what could happen if another kid shows up to tryouts and has a better day than T has in that position.
I don’t trust them. I just don’t. I’ve seen too much/too many blindsides in the past few years.
I cannot see how other parents would want to have a coach who belittles the playing of some kids in front of everyone. One day it may be their kid, and how would they feel? That should be a private talk between parents and the coach.

21stamps

I cannot see how other parents would want to have a coach who belittles the playing of some kids in front of everyone. One day it may be their kid, and how would they feel? That should be a private talk between parents and the coach.
Exactly. That meeting was even worse than the blindsides last year. All of it combined just has me so stressed out. Calling those boys out in front of all of us parents was just ridiculous and unprofessional. Especially when we have a huge tournament this weekend and you just told a mother that her kid is not going to be picked for this team next year!!! In front of everyone!

They go for the shiny thing of the moment.. they did it last year too.. teams have suffered as a result. More losses when they should have just kept our players together and built our team, together!!! We had so much potential, undefeated our first year.. but they only had 3 of those boys remain for the next. There’s no loyalty to current players.. it’s like they enjoy getting good players from other clubs, at the expense of their own good players.

Eventually it will be my kid who gets humiliated or blindsided, this is what I think. It’s just not a good feeling when witnessing things like that. Sure, not all kids can play at all levels.. but talk to the parents privately!!! Stop with the humiliations and blindsides.

T and 1 other boy are the only 2 who remain from the 2017-2018 season. ‘18-‘19 had major changes- including changes between fall and spring!, ‘19-‘20 had more changes.
Give us some stability with players and coaches!!!! That’s all I want out of a club. Continued growth for T, good coaching/training opportunities, and good communication
I don’t think that’s too much to ask!

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Exactly. That meeting was even worse than the blindsides last year. All of it combined just has me so stressed out. Calling those boys out in front of all of us parents was just ridiculous and unprofessional. Especially when we have a huge tournament this weekend and you just told a mother that her kid is not going to be picked for this team next year!!! In front of everyone!

They go for the shiny thing of the moment.. they did it last year too.. teams have suffered as a result. More losses when they should have just kept our players together and built our team, together!!! We had so much potential, undefeated our first year.. but they only had 3 of those boys remain for the next. There’s no loyalty to current players.. it’s like they enjoy getting good players from other clubs, at the expense of their own good players.

Eventually it will be my kid who gets humiliated or blindsided, this is what I think. It’s just not a good feeling when witnessing things like that. Sure, not all kids can play at all levels.. but talk to the parents privately!!! Stop with the humiliations and blindsides.

T and 1 other boy are the only 2 who remain from the 2017-2018 season. ‘18-‘19 had major changes- including changes between fall and spring!, ‘19-‘20 had more changes.
Give us some stability with players and coaches!!!! That’s all I want out of a club. Continued growth for T, good coaching/training opportunities, and good communication
I don’t think that’s too much to ask!
Plus, it is a team sport. Kids get to know each other and get to understand each others tendencies. They should get better by playing together for awhile. It is like they can read each others minds when certain plays happen.

21stamps

Plus, it is a team sport. Kids get to know each other and get to understand each others tendencies. They should get better by playing together for awhile. It is like they can read each others minds when certain plays happen.

I can see it in the teams we play.. by now I recognize many of their players as returning every year. I keep hoping “this will be the season when we have a core group and coach to grow with”, and every season something happens to throw that off course.

I just really want to win this tournament this weekend. I think it would be great for team, and maybe make everyone have a break in the stress, and just be happy and celebrate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom