The Brickers' Holi-Disney Christmas Vacation 2010 Report (D23 Event, Reunion, etc!)

Preface:

Welcome to Christmas 2010 Walt Disney World Report! For those of you who have been following our Saga in our other reports, thank you for joining us once again! For those first time readers, thanks for opening this thread--we hope it doesn’t disappoint!

Worth noting is that this report report is over 50 single spaced pages of text. I don't point this out because I want to warn you before you make the time commitment to read it, but because at this length, and given my schedule, much of the report was written very hastily. I hope that it’s somewhat coherent and not rife with grammatical errors, stylistic faults, misspelled words, or incorrect word choices (for example, in a previous report, I meant to type “cookie,” but I was distracted while typing and wrote “cutter”) but such may be the case.

Also worth noting, since I receive many comments and private messages asking about this, is that Sarah’s dresses are mostly a brand called “BCBG.” There are other brands, too, but I can’t remember them--most are BCBG. She gets them from Sample Sales. These are discounted invite-only websites that sell nice clothing and products. They are all legitimate retailers of said products (not like some New York street corner selling knock-off Louis Vutton purses). We've saved a LOT of money buying through these sites rather than the mall. Here are our favorites ranked in descending order:
#1 - Gilt Groupe/Gilt Man
#2 - Rue La La
#3 - HauteLook
#4 - Ideeli (mostly women's stuff)
#5 - Beyond the Rack
Probably wouldn’t have received a ton of questions this time as you can’t see most of the dresses since she’s bundled up, but there’s the info, anyway.

As this is a Christmas trip, I begin writing this with the goal to get it out prior to Christmas prior to 2011. Given how busy I’ll be between now and then with work (apparently it piles up when you take nearly two weeks off!), holiday shopping, and other responsibilities, I’m going to attempt to make it shorter than prior installations. It will likely have significantly fewer images, as I focus on writing now, and updating at future junctures with additional images and, possibly, more text. Despite the fact that we got far fewer images than us this trip than we normally do, this TR actually has far fewer of the artistic ones since those are more time consuming to edit.

Alright, enough with the disclaimers, warnings, and other miscellaneous opening remarks. On with the show!

----

The trip began in its typical manner, under chaotic circumstances. Packing the night before actually went better than usual, as we had accomplished some packing ahead of time. We got to bed relatively early the night before, around 10:30 pm. The next morning we were up bright and early, with Sarah’s dad taking us to the airport at 5:30 am. We took one set of bags down to the car and were planning on going back up for incidental items, to do a once over, and to lock up the fort. The previous trip down, I told Sarah that I would just leave the keys upstairs since my hands were full. Unfortunately, in our apartment building, once the door shuts, you have to use a sensor (on our keychain) to open the front door. Here we are, at 5:30 am in 20 degree weather, no coats, locked out of our apartment building. We had to go back upstairs as our unit’s door was open, plus Sarah’s ID was up there.

The natural response to this situation is to buzz the call box of all adjacent tenants to see if they’ll let you in. Well, maybe this isn’t the natural response of everyone, as some of you may have more common courtesy than us, but it was 5:30 am, we were freezing, and fearful that we’d miss out flight to WDW. It was our natural reaction. Our neighbors either were undisturbed by the constant buzzing (in which case no harm, no foul), or chose to ignore (in which case I don’t feel too sorry for them). Not knowing what to do, we called the apartment’s emergency line. This line is reserved for situations such as gas and water leaks, but I felt missing a flight to WDW was fairly analogous, so we called and left a message. After more time passed, the gentleman who delivers the newspaper came by and let us in. But for him, I think we would have missed our flight. Add leaving our keys in the house to the list of things not to do before heading to WDW (add it to the list of things not to do whenever leaving home, for that matter).

Other than this, the trip down was relatively uneventful. There was one somewhat minor issue, but that was relatively quickly resolved: I couldn’t decide whether to order 2 or 3 sausage McMuffins with egg from McDonald’s. I decided to order 2, then see if I wanted another. I ended up wanting another, but was too lazy to wait in line again. Lesson learned there!

Sarah was selected for advanced screening in Indy, so she went through one of the WBI machines. I did a fair amount of research on WBIs, BDOs, SPOT, and the rest of the acronym soup involving advanced measures of airport security in law school, so I was sort of hoping to be selected for the screening to experience it first hand. (For those curious, my ultimate thesis was that whole body imaging was impractical due to its costs and inevitable ability of terrorists to circumvent it; I found advanced screening unobjectionable from a personal liberties perspective. Although I’m sure no one cares.)

Once through screening, we headed to our gate, and boarded shortly thereafter. We slept most of the flight there to conserve our energy. What seemed like 15 minutes later, we touched down in Orlando, and headed towards the DME area. In previous trip reports, I’ve commented on our inability to find this area despite heading there so frequently, and more importantly, having maps indicating how to get there. This hadn’t been an issue for the last couple of trips, as we had found it right away without the maps, but this time, I decided to follow my instinct, and disregard the map--with Sarah all the while telling me I was leading us the wrong direction. As a proud male who both refuses to follow a map and is seldom wrong, I can only assume the airport had been reconfigured since our last trip, as we were in the wrong area.

021210001.jpg

We re-traced our steps, headed to the other side of the airport, and boarded the DME shortly thereafter. Since we were staying at an All Star resort (Music) the first night of our trip, we were sandwiched in among Pop Warners parents and players. They must not have been too loud, as I was able to sleep. (I almost wish they had kept me awake, as I missed that DME video, which I love!)

021210002.jpg

This would be the first of two admittedly “new” DME bus drivers we’d have on the trip; this particular one drove to All Star Music, before realizing he had forgotten to stop at All Star Sports, and turning around--without dropping off us guests staying at AS:Mu. Not wanting to deal with any more of his brilliant moves, Sarah and I got out at Sports and walked to Music. Given the crowd that came behind us to check-in, I’m fairly confident that I’m right.

We met our friend, Nick, at the check in desk and then proceeded to our room to drop off some stuff before we headed immediately to the Magic Kingdom. I had opted to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt that day given that we’d be in Indy part of the day, and that night was supposed to be cool, but I noticed that even during the day, I didn’t feel hot in that attire. Oh well, I thought, the next 11 days would be warmer.

021210003.jpg

We engaged in so many unique experiences and I’ve written so many thoughts on specific attractions in previous trip reports in the past that to do so again would be superfluous. If there was anything out of the ordinary or specific to this trip of which I think, I’ll discuss it, but otherwise, assume we rode attractions each day in addition to what is discussed.

First on the agenda was eating. We stopped at the best restaurant in the world, Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe. Actually, after two consecutive 10 plus day trips, I have to admit that Cosmic Ray’s has fallen a few rungs on my ladder. I just can’t eat that way for that way. My body is trained to be a lean, mean, killing machine, and Cosmic Ray’s food is more conducive to pudgy, groogy, waddling critters. Don’t get me wrong, the burger is still great, especially with a liberal assortment of toppings, it just isn’t something I can eat day in and day out.

021210005.jpg

We hit a couple of attractions before seeing the WDW Today Reunion group across from Aloha Isle. I wasn’t quite sure how Nick would take to hanging around with a huge group of Disney nerds, so I quickly said hello to a couple of the guys we know before we headed off. Nick had to leave for work shortly thereafter, so I figured we’d meet up with them at that time.

021210006.jpg

About 45 minutes later, that’s exactly what we did. This meet-up was at the Frontierland Shootin’ Gallery. Since we’re well aware that the Gallery costs additional money to play, we’ve typically avoided it. However, I must say that the targets look pretty cool. Had we any cash, we might have given it a whirl. I was a bit dismayed to learn that it didn’t keep score, though. What’s the point in a game that doesn’t keep score?!? I am not some 6 year old who needs to be coddled by over-protective parents and a society that says kids are scarred if they lose, I want the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

021210007.jpg

During our honeymoon, we met up with Henry Work, the developer for TouringPlans.com one evening. Shortly thereafter, I began writing for the TouringPlans.com Blog and working for TouringPlans.com on photo projects for the site. If you check out the mastheads at the top of each page, you might recognize some of the photos. With the exception of the Disneyland TouringPlans site and a couple other photos here and there, they’re mine.

In addition to designing all of the Mastheads for the Disneyland and Walt Disney World TouringPlans.com pages, I’ve been creating galleries for each attraction (click link and scroll down for an example) meant to give users an idea of what to expect from the attraction--from the time you approach the exterior to the time you exit the queue. At first, this didn’t seem like much of an undertaking, I figured I had a lot of these photos already, and could just harvest my computer’s photos. Unfortunately, that was not the case, which meant that that this trip, I would be making an conscious effort to take more photos of the attractions. While the task proved a fun challenge, it also meant taking a lot more photos, and with the already large RAW size of the D7000’s images, I found myself filling up my external hard drive in a hurry. So quickly, that by the second day of the trip, I was already contemplating ordering a new one from Amazon.com, and using Prime to get it to me in a hurry. Being a bit of a gambler, I opted against this. As you’ll read later, this may have been a mistake.

Anyway, at the gallery, we saw Henry (you’ll notice him in these photos as the one who is ridiculously tall) and he introduced us to Reilly, another TouringPlans.com staff member. After chatting briefly, I did some shooting--with my camera, before we headed on to the Haunted Mansion. The wait was something that seemed ridiculous to me (probably 20 minutes), but the entire group was doing it, so we thought, “what the heck.” It would turn out that a wait of 20 minutes would be pretty standard for the Haunted Mansion this trip. Odd, as I don’t think we’ve ever waited that long during the height of the summer season. I will explain my theory on this later.

We split off from the group after Haunted Mansion as it looked like it would be a long wait before everyone else got off the attraction. While we like doing group things, we were concerned with getting as much done as possible before my parents joined us two days later, as we predicted the pace would slow down then.

When we first started going to WDW together in 2006, it quickly became a tradition for us to go the Magic Kingdom the night we arrived, and start the evening by relaxing on the TTA. This tradition quickly died, as we started booking our flights earlier and earlier, and it wasn’t always advantageous to hit the MK on the first night. Not wanting to get away from our “roots” too far, we decided to do the TTA then, even if it was still daytime, and not our first attraction. As I’ve said before, the TTA is so much better at night. It’s nice during the day, but at night it’s next-level.

021210008.jpg

As we approached the return-station on the TTA, we noticed the group heading into Tomorrowland. We watched them as we exited the ride, and they queued up for Buzz Lightyear Spaceranger Spin. It seemed like as good of a time as any to rejoin the group, so we did. Managed to do TTA while they had waited--not too shabby!

021210009.jpg

021210018.jpg

021210020.jpg

DisneyFan1003

Brilliant, as always! Photos are incredible - looks like you had a great time! We're taking my parents in December for their first trip EVER (hard to believe) so I plan on pulling up some of your holiday shots to give them an idea of what they're in for!

We'll be there November 30 - December 7, 2011. Wondering if we'll run into much of the Pop Warner mess. You didn't mention much about it...did it seem to be an issue for you?

Kudos again on a great report...Happy New Year to you and Sarah!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Thanks for the link! I am fairly intimidated by the manual focus too. Do you ever struggle with it?

I have the Tamron 24-70 knock off of Canon's L version and have been very happy with it, so I'm not completely against other brands. That L still just seems to call my name though!

The Canon fisheye I rented was actually 2.8. For this trip I'm just thinking of being in close quarters, i.e. stateroom tours, with no time or room for a tripod. My 50d doesn't handle high ISO nearly as well as I had hoped.

Thanks again Tom! Didn't mean to hijack your thread!

I struggled with manual focus at first, only because I thought the prior advice I had been given was to set the focus to infinity. You might notice some of our earlier fisheye shots aren’t quite tack sharp.

Then, on the second morning, during the Betamouse meet, Cody explained to me that you don’t set it to infinity, you set it to 3'. At three feet at f/3.5, everything over 1.5' away (to infinity) is in focus. He had a term for this, but I can’t remember what it was. For the rest of the trip, I left the MF on 3' and it was fine. Only touched the focus ring to adjust it when I accidentally bumped it off of 3'.

Depending on the size of these staterooms, the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 UWA might be the lens to pick up. Especially if you’re going to be using these pictures for any business purposes. I used the fisheye out of necessity in the Cinderella Castle Suite (it was so small!), but only after getting similar shots (albeit less wide) with the UWA.

Great TR! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you didn't post about the wacko that started talking to you in the middle of the Poly lobby while you were taking pictures of the tree (Tuesday morning). That was me. I was so excited that I actually spotted someone from this forum that I completely forgot to tell you who I was. LOL! Sorry, you must have thought I was nuts. Anyway, I've been looking forward to seeing you post your pictures from the trip and the Picture of the Day thread is just too slow.

Thanks for the feedback on the D23 event. I almost extended our trip by another 2 days so we could go to the events too. However, because it was going to be too much trouble (flights, work, family, etc.), I decided not to bother trying to get tickets. Sounds like I didn't miss too much - although the castle tour would have been sweet.

Oh! It was nice to have met you! I didn’t think you were nuts; we get approached by people all the time in the parks, a couple of whom have actually approached and immediately hugged Sarah!

The events were fun, don’t get me wrong, but for the price tag, and more importantly time commitment that came with them, we didn’t feel satisfied. Overall, I’m glad we did it, but if the events are the same next year, I doubt we’ll do it again.

Hi & Happy New Year To You and Sarah :>)
Thank you very much for the info on the dresses too. I really appeciate that tons.
This is one hell of a Trip Report!!! I loved it!!! I didn't get to read the whole thing but made read most of it.
I love your pictures too!!! Wonderful and I agree that the Toy Soldiers are one of the best things of the MNSSHP. We were there for Xmas Time and we thought the very same thing!
Your trip report really gives me serious Disney Withdrawels....Just when I thought I can do it, I saw your report was reading it and getting excited and want to go back again real soon.
I hope 2011 Will be the best year for you and Sarah! Hope all your deams and wishes come true.

I am always shocked by the number of messages I receive regarding those danged dresses. I guess the effort she puts into shopping pays off! I think she didn’t even end up wearing about half the ones she brought for this trip because it was too cold. I’m not sure if those will get “recycled” for the next trip, or if they aren’t the right color/cut/whatever for Spring/Summer. I don’t really keep up to snuff on the world of dresses.

Funny that you mention withdrawals from reading the report. I actually got them from writing it! Actually, I just got them again this morning when I heard the Magic Kingdom Entrance Area Music for the first time in about two months. I am a sucker for background music!

Hope you have a great year, too!

Oh I love this shot so much! Earlier on you guys were checking out Mickey-shaped ornaments. We have the one that Sarah was holding so that was cool to me. We get a new one every trip. Good times

A very nice trip report for sure, as usual! I always enjoy your photos! Great job!

We had been getting a new ornament each year (with the year on it), but we forgot to do it in 2010. We wanted to get a wedding one, I can’t believe we forgot!!!

Awesome report as always Tom I'm really sorry about your iPhone and I hope you have the Apple Care plan. I actually don't but after reading your story I feel like I should! I have a case for mine though heh. I drop it all the time. I think I dropped it 3 times on my last trip. Right on the concrete. Bam. You'd think it was my child who had smacked their head on the concrete by the way I acted! I can't live without my iPhone.

I haven't been down to WDW at Christmas for a long time now and I loved seeing all your pictures, it really got me in the spirit! I follow you on twitter too but it's ok if you don't follow me @WaltSentMe007. Funny, my fiance and I were talking about the new social networking etiquitte that has cropped up in the past few years. I was upset because some people I'm friends with on Facebook didn't even comment when I got engaged. Twitter is a different story though, I don't follow everyone that follows me either. I don't really care if Justin Beiber passed Britney Spears in popularity on Twitter. #steppingdownfromsoapbox

I'm really into the podcasts and blogs too and I had heard of everything you mentioned. I wish I had more of a commute to work so I could listen to all of the podcasts every week. I listen to WDW Today, WDW Radio, BetaMouse, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. I love Touring Plans too and I read your posts there as well

Whoopi Goldberg/Guinan at the Candlelight Processional would have been the highlight of my trip! I'm a Star Trek nerd <insert nerdy emote here>

I don’t have Apple Care (I don’t do extended warranties of any kind–they’re generally a rip off), but I do wish I had a case for it. I can’t believe I didn’t listen to Sarah on that one. I still haven’t gotten the screen fixed, either. Whenever I use it in public now, I sort of conceal the screen. Not sure why.

How can you not care if Justin Beiber passes Brittney Spears in popularity?!? That’s national news!!!! I guess I can see your point, but “back in my day” (I sound like an old man...) when TheFaceBook.com was a new site (this was probably 2004; at the time, it was only open to certain colleges), all it was about was posting cool profile pictures and (later) party pictures from the previous weekend. MySpace was around then, too, but even then I think it was entirely populated by weirdos and spam-bots. It was all a lot more lighthearted. Now, I’m supposed to worry about wishing ‘happy birthday’ to someone if they wished it to me and there are all these other expectations. It seems like a lot of work to me.

Those are the same podcasts I listen to, although I’ve been trying to broaden my horizons. I typically listen to them while working out, but we have been lazy about that in the last couple months (need to get back on the ball with that). Doing the blog on TouringPlans has been fun. It gives me a nice outlet between trip reports and allows me to answer a lot of photography questions that I would receive in emails.

Brilliant, as always! Photos are incredible - looks like you had a great time! We're taking my parents in December for their first trip EVER (hard to believe) so I plan on pulling up some of your holiday shots to give them an idea of what they're in for!

We'll be there November 30 - December 7, 2011. Wondering if we'll run into much of the Pop Warner mess. You didn't mention much about it...did it seem to be an issue for you?

Kudos again on a great report...Happy New Year to you and Sarah!

Pop Warner wasn’t much of an issue for us, at least, I didn’t notice it. Like I mentioned, there were times when I saw some scantily glad teenage girls with Cheerleading garb on, but besides being idiots for being so underdressed in such cold weather, they weren’t an issue.

Disneyfalcon

I struggled with manual focus at first, only because I thought the prior advice I had been given was to set the focus to infinity. You might notice some of our earlier fisheye shots aren’t quite tack sharp.

Then, on the second morning, during the Betamouse meet, Cody explained to me that you don’t set it to infinity, you set it to 3'. At three feet at f/3.5, everything over 1.5' away (to infinity) is in focus. He had a term for this, but I can’t remember what it was. For the rest of the trip, I left the MF on 3' and it was fine. Only touched the focus ring to adjust it when I accidentally bumped it off of 3'.

Depending on the size of these staterooms, the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 UWA might be the lens to pick up. Especially if you’re going to be using these pictures for any business purposes. I used the fisheye out of necessity in the Cinderella Castle Suite (it was so small!), but only after getting similar shots (albeit less wide) with the UWA.

I think I know where you got that prior advice! I believe Bryan Peterson says it in Understanding exposure. I tried, and couldn't make that work for me either!

Your way (Corey's way) sounds much better! Thank you again!

HopLow

Wonderful TR!! Thanks so much for your reviews of the special events! I don't know that I would ever buy tickets for those sorts of things, so it's great to hear about what went on and whether it was worth it.

Glad to see that you guys battled through your colds (and the cold) and still managed to have a good time. Thanks for sharing! :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Great trip report. Your photos are spectacular, as usual, especially the parade and fireworks shots, which are breathtaking.

corey154

Happy New Year to you and Sarah!

Took me awhile to finish reading, but as always I loved your report and pictures, I'd love to be at Disney when you guys are there and end up in the background of one of your pics.

How did you manage 10 days of Disney food? I know you had alot of sit down dinning, but I've always wondered how people do it. We're locals so we do short weekends trips, never more than 3 or 4 days, and by the second day I'm over french fries. Speaking of food, are you serious about no ranch at Pizza Planet? What do they offer you for your salad, I'd think ranch is one of the most popular dressings...oh well, I just hope if you become dictator of Disney you'll fix that!

I love those big bears in the lobby of Shades of Green! They looks so comfy.

The funniest part of your report is the guy trying to take his kid in a baby carrier to Space Mountain. Every time I get this picture in my head it makes me giggle.

Take care and stay warm this winter!

disneygirl1

Wonderful report as always Tom and your pictures are just simply AMAZING!!! We were there the same exact time as you were, and man I under packed warm clothing as well!!! That cold burst we experienced while there definitely has me rethink going to Disney in the winter months!!! I actually saw Sarah I believe in the gift shop at AKL! And get this I have a story about the triplets that you spoke of... We sat next to them for lunch at the ABC commissary one afternoon. They were in their stoller sitting between our table and their parents table, and the little boy who sat in the front seat, every now and then would reach up and take fries off our plate, it was so funny!

Gald to see you had an awesome trip! We are heading back the end of August into September, don't think we will have to worry about the cold weather then! :ROFLOL:

HollyBelle

If the Wave is never busy, I wonder why they don’t take out some tables? Maybe it was just me, but I thought the tables were really close together. It was definitely a hit with us, and I’m pretty sure you’re one of the people who previously recommended it, so thanks!

Of course, but I'm also one of the people who ALWAYS recommends the Plaza for a great sit-down lunch at counter service prices (with TiW). My apologies. But two out of three isn't too bad with Jiko and the Wave! I totally know what you mean about the tables at the Wave, if you get seated along the bench wall (as we often do, being a two top), you're practically dining with the people beside you. It really is impossible not to pick up on whole conversations nearby. I think Nine Dragons and Tutto Italia are the absolute worst when it comes to this.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I think I know where you got that prior advice! I believe Bryan Peterson says it in Understanding exposure. I tried, and couldn't make that work for me either!

Your way (Corey's way) sounds much better! Thank you again!

No problem! Let me know if you end up getting the lens. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Wonderful TR!! Thanks so much for your reviews of the special events! I don't know that I would ever buy tickets for those sorts of things, so it's great to hear about what went on and whether it was worth it.

Glad to see that you guys battled through your colds (and the cold) and still managed to have a good time. Thanks for sharing! :)

We didn't know we'd ever buy tickets for that sort of thing, either, but since it was a Christmas event, and we're suckers for Christmas, we just had to do it. Plus, reviews from last year were overwhelmingly positive.

Great trip report. Your photos are spectacular, as usual, especially the parade and fireworks shots, which are breathtaking.

Thanks - I have about 2,000 more fireworks and parade photos from this trip sitting on an external harddrive waiting to have something done to them. I think I might have gone overboard with the parade pictures!!

Happy New Year to you and Sarah!

Took me awhile to finish reading, but as always I loved your report and pictures, I'd love to be at Disney when you guys are there and end up in the background of one of your pics.

How did you manage 10 days of Disney food? I know you had alot of sit down dinning, but I've always wondered how people do it. We're locals so we do short weekends trips, never more than 3 or 4 days, and by the second day I'm over french fries. Speaking of food, are you serious about no ranch at Pizza Planet? What do they offer you for your salad, I'd think ranch is one of the most popular dressings...oh well, I just hope if you become dictator of Disney you'll fix that!

I love those big bears in the lobby of Shades of Green! They looks so comfy.

The funniest part of your report is the guy trying to take his kid in a baby carrier to Space Mountain. Every time I get this picture in my head it makes me giggle.

Take care and stay warm this winter!

I am not as overwhelmingly positive about Disney food as some (even the better locations don't hold a candle to restaurants in Indianapolis, and I highly doubt we have restaurants on par with more "chic" cities), but as long as you do it right, and don't order fried foods every meal, dining is a great experience unto itself. On the other hand, if you eat counter service burgers and fries every meal, yeah, it gets old quick. The point is that the option for better dining is there, so I don't think it's fair to levy criticism at the options available.

The bears were comfortable--incredibly comfortable. I would look for one, but I'll bet our dog would ______ on it or rip off one of its ears as soon as we got it, effectively ruining it.

Yeah, that Space Mountain conversation was...interesting, to say the least. I was taken aback, that's for sure!!!

Wonderful report as always Tom and your pictures are just simply AMAZING!!! We were there the same exact time as you were, and man I under packed warm clothing as well!!! That cold burst we experienced while there definitely has me rethink going to Disney in the winter months!!! I actually saw Sarah I believe in the gift shop at AKL! And get this I have a story about the triplets that you spoke of... We sat next to them for lunch at the ABC commissary one afternoon. They were in their stoller sitting between our table and their parents table, and the little boy who sat in the front seat, every now and then would reach up and take fries off our plate, it was so funny!

Gald to see you had an awesome trip! We are heading back the end of August into September, don't think we will have to worry about the cold weather then! :ROFLOL:

The cold really was not fun if you under packed, was it? (Not that it would've been 'fun' cold weather with more clothing!)

You probably did see Sarah in the gift shop at AKL, I believe she was there in there will I was taking photos on the elevated bridge in the lobby.

The triplets are incredibly cute and outgoing (as outgoing as kids that age can be, at least)--it doesn't surprise me that they took your fries!

Great stuff (again)!

thanks for sharing :sohappy:

Glad you enjoyed it!

Of course, but I'm also one of the people who ALWAYS recommends the Plaza for a great sit-down lunch at counter service prices (with TiW). My apologies. But two out of three isn't too bad with Jiko and the Wave! I totally know what you mean about the tables at the Wave, if you get seated along the bench wall (as we often do, being a two top), you're practically dining with the people beside you. It really is impossible not to pick up on whole conversations nearby. I think Nine Dragons and Tutto Italia are the absolute worst when it comes to this.

Eh, The Plaza wasn't a big deal. It's one of those "it is what it is" places. With those prices, and being in the Magic Kingdom, we shouldn't have expected so much. Like you say, it's a nice TS option for (near) CS prices with the TiW card.

Speaking of TiW--so glad we got that. Even using the DDP this summer, it saved us substantially. It paid for itself after one meal, and saved us a good deal more this trip. It would be awesome to be there for one of the TiW events sometime, but even if not, it's a great card to have.

Hi Tom -
Forgot to ask you - did you run into the parade filming? How bad was that?

Thanks!

We ran into it the first day, and it was "interesting" and busy, but not overly terrible. Granted, there were no big performances (of which I'm aware) that happened while we were there. Unless you're a fan of one of the "artists" (I use the term loosely) performing, I cannot fathom why anyone would want to stand around for the filming.

Thanks for posting your amazing photos Tom! I always enjoy the visual treats that you provide for us!!

Happy New Year!!:wave:

Happy New Year to you, too! Glad you enjoyed the TR!

dobball23

Great Trip Report!!

Another excellent trip report!! My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading every one of your Disney trip reports this year. In fact, we might start a donation fund for you and Sarah to go again, just so we can read about it and pass the time until our next trip. Everyone here on the boards can donate $25 and we should be able to send you on a week-long vacation!

We're looking forward to your next trip almost as much as we are our's (July 2012).

luvlifeinfl

After EO had been back for a while, and I heard reports of people seeing it, I will admit that my desire to see it grew. I still maintain my feelings in opposition of it, and I suppose by seeing it I became a hypocrite, but I did desire to see it more and more. When we finally did see it, it was an interesting experience. The pre-show, well, that was something. The way the video starts out, silent cuts of empty locations, it’s almost as if they’re building suspense for something shocking to happen, or setting the stage for some macabre scene. But that’s not the case. Anyone know what I’m referencing? I’m really not sure why the video opens like that, but it’s certainly odd (fitting, I guess).

031210046.jpg

The show itself was mildly amusing. The music is fun 80s tunes and the show registers a 10 on the ‘cheese-factor’ scale. (In fact, when I showed a video of it on YouTube to friends in college, they instantly said, “this would make an interesting drinking game.”) I got us in the door, whereas HISTA hasn’t accomplished that feat since 2006, so I guess that’s saying something. Still, something needs to be done to that pavilion.

031210055.jpg

Even though it was early, we were hungry, and Sunshine Seasons beckoned. When we arrived, we noticed the menu had changed since June! The sandwiches were on new breads, and my favorite sandwich was no longer on foccacia, but instead, on some dry-looking bread. This was terrible news! I probably didn’t need my own sandwich, anyway, so Sarah and I split the chicken entree, which had also changed to include a side other than mashed potatoes, but we were luckily able to substitute for the potatoes. Phew.

031210045.jpg

Somewhat “unfortunately,” I happened to acquire a new lens right before the trip. A new lens is ordinarily an event to be praised, but in this case, the new lens was another fisheye. I had been given grief by both Sarah and my mom regarding my overuse of the fisheye on our honeymoon, and just when the novelty was starting to wear off, I got a different one. I was never happy with the Tokina fisheye (I only bought it because I got a great deal) and I had been trying to find a cheap copy of the Sigma since with no luck. When I bought the D7000, a new option opened up to me: the Samyang/Pro-Optic/Bower/Rokinon 8mm MF Fisheye. I have no clue why this lens has so many aliases (it’s engaging in some sort of identity theft, I suspect), but it’s a gem.

Back to my original point, the problem with having a new fisheye meant that I would again be taking more fisheye shots! I tried to hold back, but it just wasn’t possible. Ultimately, I decided that what I’m doing is a public service. I predict a day, around four years from now, when we will all evolve to have the vision of fishes. I’m not sure whether the scientific community would view this as a positive ‘evolution’, but I think it would be a good one. By taking photos of WDW in this manner now, I’m preparing us all for how the parks will look to us in the future. You’re all welcome.

031210048.jpg

031210049.jpg

After that snack, we didn’t have much time before lunch at Wonders of Life started, so we just wandered around for a bit. This was the first of two hard ticket events we were able to attend that Mouse Fan Travel was putting on as a part of Reunion. The event was relatively reasonably priced (if I recall correctly, it was around $13) for the lunch we got. That said, I would have paid more than $13 for the experience alone.

That is, the experience of having an empty Wonders of Life pavilion to photograph as we lingered behind after everyone else had gone upstairs. I know the pavilion is open during F&WF and other events, but I’ve never seen it empty. These photo ops I got where priceless, in my opinion. Granted, they’re not all the greatest shots, ever, but I think they’re cool. I don’t think I could afford to pay ~$13 for all of the priceless photo ops that might exist at WDW, so I’m glad that they aren’t all priced like this!

031210050.jpg

031210051.jpg

Removing the photo op from the price of the event (as I don’t think it was included in the price, anyway), the event was well worth the money. We got to go up to the old Met Life (they sponsored WoL, right?) lounge, had a delicious lunch, and were entertained by the WDW Today personalities. Hearing about Len’s antics towards the other participants on the scavenger hunt made me wish that we would have participated on the TouringPlans team. Unfortunately, neither Sarah nor I knew it would be so fun, when we first heard about it, we didn’t want to take away from our time together that morning. Hopefully the scavenger hunt is held again next year, as it sounded awesome!

031210052.jpg

Unfortunately, Team TouringPlans did not win the scavenger hunt, but we did come in second place (although, they say second place is the first loser). Somehow, Team Studios Central managed to pull off the win. Given that two large components of the hunt related to photography and Carousel of Progress (a show Sarah and I watch at least--no joke--4 times per trip), I really wish I would’ve participated.

031210053.jpg

031210054.jpg

When the formal portion of the event concluded, we again lingered to get some more photos of the pavilion before heading out. We then headed to the United Kingdom with Len and Henry to scope out locations for the TouringPlans meet later in the night.

OMGosh it is Beci M. from MEI travel & Matt H. from WDWToday.

luvlifeinfl

Tom,

I so love seeing you & Sara's trip reports you are so detailed with what you share and the pics you take are always so amazing!

Also to seeing pics that you have taken of "famous" bloggers and I have gotten to meet those folks is so nice to see how communities come out and meet up!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I haven’t been keeping up with the updates as promised, but I swear I’ll have one tomorrow. I have at least 200 more photos worth posting that I need to gradually get edited. I’m not saying I’ll post them all, but I would like to post a good amount of them! We don’t have a trip planned, so updating this might be what keeps me sane for the next few months!

Another excellent trip report!! My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading every one of your Disney trip reports this year. In fact, we might start a donation fund for you and Sarah to go again, just so we can read about it and pass the time until our next trip. Everyone here on the boards can donate $25 and we should be able to send you on a week-long vacation!

We're looking forward to your next trip almost as much as we are our's (July 2012).

Hey- if you want to do that, more power to you! We are more than willing to put on brave faces and take more Disney trips if it’s for the good of the people. And, if you all determine, through your contributions, that we absolutely must stay concierge at the Polynesian, then we will do it. For you.

OMGosh it is Beci M. from MEI travel & Matt H. from WDWToday.

Ha...I think we have more pictures of them earlier in the TR. If not, I will post them in the next update. The drawing of Len on the napkin was done by Chris Eliopoulos.

Tom,

I so love seeing you & Sara's trip reports you are so detailed with what you share and the pics you take are always so amazing!

Also to seeing pics that you have taken of "famous" bloggers and I have gotten to meet those folks is so nice to see how communities come out and meet up!

Glad you enjoyed the report!

Bravo to another excellent trip report!

Thanks for reading!

WishIWasAtWDW

another great trip report! luckily, my work was cancelled today due to the inclement weather so i finally had enough time to read your report! :lol: wonderful pictures, as always! and all the special events you attended sounded really cool!! how awesome to have a private showing of the osborne lights! and the dinner at indy sounded amazing. and your pictures under the vehicle were great! i just went on my first trip to wdw in december and man, it was cold! i think i agree with you that i would rather go in the hottest month than in the coldest. i find it takes a lot longer to warm up than to cool down, you know? anyway...really enjoyed the trip report! thanks for sharing!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
another great trip report! luckily, my work was cancelled today due to the inclement weather so i finally had enough time to read your report! wonderful pictures, as always! and all the special events you attended sounded really cool!! how awesome to have a private showing of the osborne lights! and the dinner at indy sounded amazing. and your pictures under the vehicle were great! i just went on my first trip to wdw in december and man, it was cold! i think i agree with you that i would rather go in the hottest month than in the coldest. i find it takes a lot longer to warm up than to cool down, you know? anyway...really enjoyed the trip report! thanks for sharing!

Happy I could provide some entertainment on your day off! I think the weather wouldn’t have been nearly as bad had I packed properly–but I still would prefer summer heat over winter cold (at Disney) any day of the week. The ironic thing is that I’ve lived in Northern snow belts my entire life (besides this year–here in Indy school is cancelled for a forecast of 4" of snow) and I love snow and cold weather. I just don’t love it when I’m in Florida.

I have already started shopping for lighter cold weather clothing to wear next visit; probably a good idea anyway since I don’t need parkas here in Indy for the “mild” cold weather. Plus, I don’t think we’ll be able to stay away from Disney during the holidays!

Now time for a photo update!

DSC_8425.jpg

ChristmasBahs.jpg

110111396.jpg

110111395.jpg

110111393.jpg

110111392.jpg

110111391.jpg

110111390.jpg

110111389.jpg

110111388.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
another great trip report! luckily, my work was cancelled today due to the inclement weather so i finally had enough time to read your report! wonderful pictures, as always! and all the special events you attended sounded really cool!! how awesome to have a private showing of the osborne lights! and the dinner at indy sounded amazing. and your pictures under the vehicle were great! i just went on my first trip to wdw in december and man, it was cold! i think i agree with you that i would rather go in the hottest month than in the coldest. i find it takes a lot longer to warm up than to cool down, you know? anyway...really enjoyed the trip report! thanks for sharing!

Happy I could provide some entertainment on your day off! I think the weather wouldn’t have been nearly as bad had I packed properly–but I still would prefer summer heat over winter cold (at Disney) any day of the week. The ironic thing is that I’ve lived in Northern snow belts my entire life (besides this year–here in Indy school is cancelled for a forecast of 4" of snow) and I love snow and cold weather. I just don’t love it when I’m in Florida.

I have already started shopping for lighter cold weather clothing to wear next visit; probably a good idea anyway since I don’t need parkas here in Indy for the “mild” cold weather. Plus, I don’t think we’ll be able to stay away from Disney during the holidays!

Now time for a photo update!

DSC_8425.jpg

ChristmasBahs.jpg

110111396.jpg

110111395.jpg

110111393.jpg

110111392.jpg

110111388.jpg

110111390.jpg

110111389.jpg

110111387.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom