The Brickers' First Disneyland Trip Report

Preface:
Welcome to our first Disneyland Report! For those of you who have been following our Saga in our other reports, thank you for joining us once again! For those first time readers, thanks for opening this thread--we hope it doesn’t disappoint!

Worth noting is that this report report is 32 single spaced pages of text. I don't point this out because I want to warn you before you make the time commitment to read it, but because at this length, and given my schedule, much of the report was written very hastily. I hope that it’s somewhat coherent and not rife with grammatical errors, stylistic faults, and misspelled words, but such may be the case.

Along the same lines, there are approximately 500 images among the first set of posts. The way I take pictures, my camera produces a “digital negative.” This is unlike most P&S cameras, which give you a usable .jpg file right out of the camera. This means I have to edit each shot. Normally, I spend 20 minutes or so editing an image that I post on Flickr. Given the time constraints and the volume of images to edit, I edited most of these in batches, grouping similar pictures together and performing quick edits. Consequently, some of the shots may be less-than-stellar.

If you're interested in the photography here and would like EXIF data for the pictures, it can be found on the Flickr page for each image that is on Flickr (denoted by little watermarks that read “Bricker”). To access said data, click the picture, which will take you to Flickr. EXIF data can then be found by clicking the "More Properties" link in the lower right hand corner.

Also, quick note: for those who followed our Disneymoon report, as of yesterday (10/21/10), we’ve added wedding photos!

Alright, enough with the disclaimers, warnings, and other miscellaneous opening remarks. On with the show!

DSC_5184.jpg

August 2010 Disneyland Report:

This summer has been especially busy for us. As some of you may know, we got married, honeymooned at Walt Disney World, moved to Indianapolis, and I studied for and took the Bar Exam (suffice to say, even though we had concluded our honeymoon roughly two months earlier, we were ready for another vacation). The days leading up to this trip were no different. My parents had come to visit us that weekend, precluding us from doing any packing, so we were left to pack the Monday night before the trip. I had not used by camera once since our Disneymoon, so I figured I could just grab the bag containing it and take it. However, for good measure, I decided to open it up and take inventory, as you never know, maybe in an elaborate plot, our pets had schemed against me and opened it one day, taking everything out. Well, not so shockingly, that turned out not to be the case. However, a different saboteur had attempted to undermine my photography efforts for the upcoming trip: me. It turns out, so I thought, I had left my camera’s battery charger at Old Key West. Luckily, I had roughly 1.5 batteries worth of “charge,” and access to Sarah’s D40, but this would be an issue on the trip.

I couldn’t wallow in the pain of my missing battery charger for long, as I had a great deal of packing to complete before bed. This took far too long, and by the time we had completed packing, it looked like Hurricane Tom had touched down several times in our apartment. Two other things I had to do were book our hotel room at Disneyland and our SuperShuttle from the airport. As you may have guessed, I procrastinate a bit. Although in my defense, the Anaheim HoJo had been adding days to its discounted rate, and I had been hoping to book it. No luck on that.

To make matters worse, Sarah had a death in the family shortly before we left and this would prove to put a substantial damper on the first day of the trip. We considered postponing the trip for a few days as the primary purpose was a wedding that wasn’t until the weekend, but that ultimately wasn’t our best option, so we proceeded with the trip as planned.

Up after only around four hours of sleep, and all things considered, we could already tell the first day would be a long day. However, we’re troopers, so we were ready for the day ahead. We space our trips far enough apart that when we book, we always seem to forget about the misery of getting up at 3 a.m. just so we can arrive at the Resort on the earliest possible flight. Right now, we’re contemplating what flights to book for our Christmas trip, and sure enough, that early flight is once again the flight of choice. Perhaps this time we can at least pack our bags earlier than the night before? Easier said than done.

101910002292.jpg

We arrived at the airport and immediately made a b-line for McDonald’s. Well, that is after going through the slow-moving security line. Even at 5:30 a.m., TSA still is inefficient like clockwork. At least they are consistent. Perhaps it’s just based on my experience going to WDW, but I think that if a line is going to move that slowly, it should at least be well-themed! McDonald’s was next on our plate, and I don’t think I need to reiterate to you all how delicious it was. I really don’t get all of the people who complain about McDonald’s. Like Sam the Eagle would say, disliking McDonald’s is distinctly unpatriotic.

101910002291.jpg

101910002293.jpg

After a while of waiting, we finally boarded the plane, where we had a really great flight crew. One of the guys made up various songs about Southwest to the tune of well known songs at the end of the flight, which were incredibly funny. It might have been annoying had he done this for the duration of the flight while I was attempting to sleep, but constrained only to the end, it was very enjoyable. These manners in which Southwest clearly doesn’t take itself too seriously make it our preferred airline; I know many people look down their noses at “Air Moo,” but we think it’s great fun.

101910002294.jpg

On the ground in John Wayne Airport, we briskly headed towards baggage claim. I fancy myself a badass in the vain of John Wayne (although I am a bit more rugged and suave), so of course I had to stop and pose like my elder counterpart. After screwing around doing that for a bit, and an eternity of waiting on our bags (sadly, without the “magic” of DME to send the bags to your room, you actually have to wait on them; at the start of a vacation, this makes minutes melt into hours), we boarded the SuperShuttle for the Anaheim Plaza Hotel & Suites.

101910002295.jpg

101910002296.jpg

When the bus approached, we realized just what $50/night had bought us. It’s difficult to contend that $50/night is overpriced for a hotel, especially one with this kind of proximity to Disneyland (we could see Tower of Terror as soon as we opened the door to our room), but $50/night was overpriced for that hotel. To make matters worse, when we attempted to check-in, we were told that none of the Queen-bed rooms were available yet, but that “the next level up” were available, if we wanted to pay $20/night more. I wanted to call shenanigans on this one. I had called to book our room at around 10:30 EST the previous night. I highly doubted that they had booked up in the interim, but of course, I couldn’t prove this, plus we were there prior to check-in, so there was no point in arguing. The manager informed me that if we came back the next day she could try to get us in one of the cheaper rooms if it were available. I knew this was just B.S. to try to sell us on the “one time” $20 upcharge--since we would be leaving for the parks each day at around 9 a.m., I knew her answer would be the same each day. She also gave us the option of keeping our bags in an unlocked, completely open area and coming back at check-in. Yeah, given the cost of our luggage and everything therein, and especially after seeing the “quality” of the hotel, I think I’d rather pay the extortion fee.

101910002322.jpg

As far as Disney trips go, at this point, this one was easily off to the worst start. However, we decided to try to put all of that behind us and head to the parks with positive attitudes. Admittedly, this was easier for me than it was for Sarah, as she was still visibly grief-stricken.

101910002297.jpg

We have been WDW Annual Passholders for the last couple of years now, but we still had three days remaining on an old no-expiration 10 day ticket (which is how we used to buy them to save money when an AP wasn’t yet cost-effective for us), so we decided to convert them to DLR tickets since we will be WDW AP-holders for the foreseeable future. This was a pain, especially when you can hear the background music, see the train station, and are ready to go play!

When we finally got inside the turnstiles, and headed down Main Street. I had seen pictures of Sleeping Beauty Castle, so I knew of its diminutive stature, but I was still somewhat shell-shocked when I actually saw it. When looking down Main Street, I had no awe for what I saw at the end. It was not a grand Castle, wasn’t really much of anything. I’ll concede that it’s quaint (as I’ve heard others since call it), but I don’t think quaint is really a compliment when referring to a castle. I realize it’ll never be touched because the Disneyland purists would soil themselves if the idea were presented, but I think that’s just nostalgia for nostalgia’s sake. Objectively, I don’t think this castle stacks up to any of its world-wide counterparts. I’m not suggesting making it something identical to Florida’s, but something reminiscent in scale. I hate when people raise the question "Would Walt Do?" when confronted with something they don't like about the contemporary parks, but I have to wonder whether he would have had this castle razed for something more 'epic' upon the completion of WDW, were he alive.

I initially expressed these sentiments when posting a shot of Sleeping Beauty Castle on Flickr, and the Disneyland faithful ripped into me, some invoking Walt’s legacy as justification for keeping the Castle at its present height, others just generally expressing the sentiment that the Castle was ‘sacred’, and something that should never change. Multiple (contradictory) stories were offered as to why it was that height. I knew I had read otherwise, so I did some digging, and low and behold, I found a remark from one of great Imagineers, Eddie Sotto. Mr. Sotto said this, “Herb Ryman once told me that Walt wanted a big Castle [for Disneyland] but could not afford it. His first rendering that Walt directed showed something much grander. I wonder what the bankers thought when they showed up and saw the final." (Source: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=440383&page=79). I guess to each his own on the Castle topic; many Disneyland devotees claim to love its quaintness. I can understand that. However, after growing up frequenting the park with a grandiose Castle, seeing Sleeping Beauty Castle was an underwhelming let-down. Whenever I photographed it on the trip, I attempted to choose angles and lenses that made it appear larger than life to compensate.

101910002323.jpg

ttalovebug

Once again, great report! I'm getting rather jealous; with hearing you, Martin, and other WDW regulars reporting on the experience of visting DL for the first time, I'm really wanting to get over there! Perhaps I'll have to start convincing my family for next summer..... I think it will be a hard sell, though, as we're AP holders from Tampa.

BrerKev

Fantastic Trip Report, and spectacular photos!

I am glad that you enjoyed the Aladdin Musical while it is still there. It's a great show, but I think they do still have plans to replace it with a Toy Story themed musical.

I agree it is hard not to compare DL and WDW. I think it is just our natural instinct. I explained visiting DL once like having a dream about a place you know, but in the dream it's not the same.

I just treat WDW and DL like children... I love them both equally, and think that more WDW'rs should really experience DL before making judgments on it.

And my condolences to Sarah for her loss.

sweetpee_1993

Finally! I finished reading your DL trip report! I actually got to the end of page 1 on my iphone but all the pics didn't load so I had to go back to the start on the laptop. Your pictures are so beautiful. You have such a gift.

Sorry to hear about the loss in Sarah's family. Not fun to start a trip with the cloud of sadness so close-by but then there's nothing better to hug the soul then Disney with your sweetheart.

I've never been to DL. I, too, hear all the time how I'm going to just hate it because it's small. This irritates me. Bigger does not mean better. (:)lookaroun ... stay with me here ... no minds straying to the gutters)) Disneyland is WDW's older sibling. Why wouldn't I love it? I think BrerKev summed up my perspective perfectly. It's like my 2 sons. When the oldest was first born I wondered how I could ever possibly love another child the way I did my little redheaded ball-o-giggles. Then the 2nd son arrived and it's like my heart doubled in size instantly. Both boys are different from each other in many ways as they are similar. They're each equally adored. I like to imagine going to Disneyland this way. It's not WDW. I don't expect it to be nor would I want it to be. I crave the opportunity to go see something different. I'd love to expand the Disney perspective a bit.

In a perfect world I'd want my first trip to DL to be the Adventures by Disney Hollywood/Disneyland tour followed by a few extra days to roam the parks. Of course, the perfect world thing doesn't always work out so good. I just think it would be neat to get that particular introduction from a historical perspective. The other stops in that tour wouldn't break my heart either. ((Are you kiddin' me??? Jim Henson Studios???? I'd be in hog-heaven!))

We actually wanted to do DL instead of this upcoming trip to WDW. Again, life ain't always ideal. Time and cost to fly the family out there didn't work out. For what we'd have spent doing 5 nights out in California we're going to WDW for 10 nights (thank you free dining). You've so got the flame a-burnin' itching to go west. Maybe we'll shoot for next year.

The Monte Cristo. I've also read a lot of hype on that dish. A few months back we were at a newer local restaurant for dinner and I spotted a Monte Cristo tucked away in a corner on the menu. I immediately recalled all the crazy-good reviews of Blue Bayou's I've read over the many years so I went for it. Lemme just say I stay away from this restaurant now. I could eat my weight in the stuff. It's less like a sandwich to me & more like a pastry. The sprinkled powdered sugar and the raspberry goo just pushes me too far. Me & my sweet tooth. :slurp: I think, tho, the reviews are all on the deceiving side as I was sorta surprised by what it was when it arrived on the table. I can see how it could be disappointing, too. Plus, IMO, that's one of those things that if you get it right it'll be great but if you miss the mark - ewwww.

Oh! The WoC hooligans! Don't let kids like that deter you & Sarah in the least. Of course this coming from the girl who was pregnant and after 20 minutes with the niece & nephew would go home crying on the phone with her mother, "Mom! What have I done?! I don't think I like kids!" :lol: I'll just tell ya what my mom told me: When they're yours, it's different. You'll do fine. I hardly see the children you & Sarah produce being anything even remotely near kids like that. If a parent was with them while they were wearing those clothes & carrying on that conversation and acting totally indifferent to it all...well...now you know why those kids were like that. Gramma says: Kids will only do what they can get by with. So true.

I'll stop going on and on. I just loved your report from beginning to end as usual. I wanna go to Disneyland now. Thanks. :wave:

Crap! Forgot to mention! Just like with WDW, go order the DL vacation planning video. I did this back in the summer. During the fall I got a PIN code for 40% off DL resorts well before I started seeing other discounts during the same time-frame. That brings those GC rooms waaaay down in price. :wave:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Once again, great report! I'm getting rather jealous; with hearing you, Martin, and other WDW regulars reporting on the experience of visting DL for the first time, I'm really wanting to get over there! Perhaps I'll have to start convincing my family for next summer..... I think it will be a hard sell, though, as we're AP holders from Tampa.

Well, we’re AP holders from Indiana, so other than you living in Florida, it’s not a huge difference! Just tell them you deserve a trip out West because you’ve “saved” so much money by living so close to WDW!

Fantastic Trip Report, and spectacular photos!

I am glad that you enjoyed the Aladdin Musical while it is still there. It's a great show, but I think they do still have plans to replace it with a Toy Story themed musical.

I agree it is hard not to compare DL and WDW. I think it is just our natural instinct. I explained visiting DL once like having a dream about a place you know, but in the dream it's not the same.

I just treat WDW and DL like children... I love them both equally, and think that more WDW'rs should really experience DL before making judgments on it.

And my condolences to Sarah for her loss.

I remember reading on the DisneyParks blog that Aladdin was staying “by popular demand.” At the time, I thought it was just the same BS that explained why MSEP was staying at WDW. On second thought, I can easily see why there would be such ‘popular demand.’

Finally! I finished reading your DL trip report! I actually got to the end of page 1 on my iphone but all the pics didn't load so I had to go back to the start on the laptop. Your pictures are so beautiful. You have such a gift.

Sorry to hear about the loss in Sarah's family. Not fun to start a trip with the cloud of sadness so close-by but then there's nothing better to hug the soul then Disney with your sweetheart.

I've never been to DL. I, too, hear all the time how I'm going to just hate it because it's small. This irritates me. Bigger does not mean better. (( ... stay with me here ... no minds straying to the gutters)) Disneyland is WDW's older sibling. Why wouldn't I love it? I think BrerKev summed up my perspective perfectly. It's like my 2 sons. When the oldest was first born I wondered how I could ever possibly love another child the way I did my little redheaded ball-o-giggles. Then the 2nd son arrived and it's like my heart doubled in size instantly. Both boys are different from each other in many ways as they are similar. They're each equally adored. I like to imagine going to Disneyland this way. It's not WDW. I don't expect it to be nor would I want it to be. I crave the opportunity to go see something different. I'd love to expand the Disney perspective a bit.

In a perfect world I'd want my first trip to DL to be the Adventures by Disney Hollywood/Disneyland tour followed by a few extra days to roam the parks. Of course, the perfect world thing doesn't always work out so good. I just think it would be neat to get that particular introduction from a historical perspective. The other stops in that tour wouldn't break my heart either. ((Are you kiddin' me??? Jim Henson Studios???? I'd be in hog-heaven!))

We actually wanted to do DL instead of this upcoming trip to WDW. Again, life ain't always ideal. Time and cost to fly the family out there didn't work out. For what we'd have spent doing 5 nights out in California we're going to WDW for 10 nights (thank you free dining). You've so got the flame a-burnin' itching to go west. Maybe we'll shoot for next year.

The Monte Cristo. I've also read a lot of hype on that dish. A few months back we were at a newer local restaurant for dinner and I spotted a Monte Cristo tucked away in a corner on the menu. I immediately recalled all the crazy-good reviews of Blue Bayou's I've read over the many years so I went for it. Lemme just say I stay away from this restaurant now. I could eat my weight in the stuff. It's less like a sandwich to me & more like a pastry. The sprinkled powdered sugar and the raspberry goo just pushes me too far. Me & my sweet tooth. I think, tho, the reviews are all on the deceiving side as I was sorta surprised by what it was when it arrived on the table. I can see how it could be disappointing, too. Plus, IMO, that's one of those things that if you get it right it'll be great but if you miss the mark - ewwww.

Oh! The WoC hooligans! Don't let kids like that deter you & Sarah in the least. Of course this coming from the girl who was pregnant and after 20 minutes with the niece & nephew would go home crying on the phone with her mother, "Mom! What have I done?! I don't think I like kids!" I'll just tell ya what my mom told me: When they're yours, it's different. You'll do fine. I hardly see the children you & Sarah produce being anything even remotely near kids like that. If a parent was with them while they were wearing those clothes & carrying on that conversation and acting totally indifferent to it all...well...now you know why those kids were like that. Gramma says: Kids will only do what they can get by with. So true.

I'll stop going on and on. I just loved your report from beginning to end as usual. I wanna go to Disneyland now. Thanks.

Crap! Forgot to mention! Just like with WDW, go order the DL vacation planning video. I did this back in the summer. During the fall I got a PIN code for 40% off DL resorts well before I started seeing other discounts during the same time-frame. That brings those GC rooms waaaay down in price.

Come on, you have to prefer one kid. Right? Deep down? (Just kidding.) I joke with Sarah that we should have one ‘spare’ kid so we can constantly pressure the others into performing at their best or else risk ‘being replaced’ by the spare. I also joke that we could store any newborn in a ‘baby cage.’ For some reason, she isn’t amused by either of these comments. For the record, they’re both jokes.

An Adventures by Disney trip would be fun. Expensive, but fun. Since we’re going to be staying (presumably) for a fairly long time at WDW in October for the 40th and Food & Wine, I think a shorter vacation at DLR in the Spring might be perfect. Five days seems about perfect, giving us time to explore the hotels, have some nice meals, and take in all the attractions. That way, we can also avoid the grim realities of Southern California.

When we go back to Blue Bayou, I might give the Monte Cristo another shot, but I don’t know. Usually, when there is that much positive feedback about something, and I have a converse experience, I assume my experience is an anomaly. However, there just seems like there might be something about the sandwich on a fundamental level that just doesn’t appeal to me. I like greasy food on occasion, but that sandwich just crossed the line.

I’m not worried about any kids Sarah and I have. I’m worried about the other billions of morons who are currently populating this planet. These people just seemed to be representative of the endemic problem in our society of parents wanting to be friends with their kids, and being unwilling or unable to actually parent. I will have no problem disciplining our kids such that they won’t talk or act like that in my presence. I’d like to think we’ll raise them in such a manner that they’ll be generally well-behaved, too, but there’s no certainty there. Plenty of kids with good parents act poorly in certain situations. It just shocks me that kids act like that in front of their parents. Granted, my dad was a military man, but if I ever acted like that in front of my parents, the results for me would not be good...

DisneyFan1003

Great report...as always! Pictures were fantastic and I enjoyed reading your views on DLR. I'm, hopefully, headed out west in the spring for a conference - if so, my wife will be joining me and we'll sneak away for a few days to experience it ourselves!

Looking forward to your holiday trip report. We've done Christmastime at Disney (in between the holidays) three times, but never experienced it in early December. Taking our daughter (and my parents for their 1st trip!) next December for her 2nd birthday...can't wait! :xmas:

Mrs.PhD

What a great trip report and pictures! I just love the pictures. I recently got a DSLR camera and am still trying to figure out how to use it.

My husband (Disney PhD) was telling me about this trip report and all the great pictures. He said he shouldn't look at it before bed because then he hard these really strange Disney Land dreams (we've never been there.)

Hannah Montana

I've always enjoyed reading your trip reports and this one was no different! (Makes me feel like I am there, ahhh) My husband and I took our first trip to DLR in May over Memorial Day weekend and weren't sure what to expect, but looovved it! We also originally thought it would be something we might try to do once every few years, but are dying to go back. We really want to see it decorated for the holidays and will most likely be back next Christmas.

We had a lot of the same reactions as you: LOVED Indy, Roger Rabbit Spin, Monsters Dark Ride, Aladdin, Small World, and were surprised by how much we liked the Storybook Canal Boats and Alice in Wonderland. I agree the castle is shockingly smaller but we had fun embracing how that park is Walt's original creation and where he often visited. My only major complaint would be how dated and unattractive Tomorrowland seemed compared to WDW. It is our favorite part of WDW and where we spend a lot of our time at the Magic Kingdom, but at DLR we would only run over there for SM and Buzz. I also found it very odd to wait in line for SM on what felt like a random rooftop.

We bit the bullet and stayed at the Grand Californian and must say it was worth every single penny. It was so nice being able to walk out of one door and be in Downtown Disney or out another and be in DCA. It also really created that escape and "bubble" atmosphere in that from Friday to Monday we were completely immersed in Disney and were able to easily walk all over the property and never face the real world. I also suggest next time skipping the Monte Cristo at Blue Bayou and get it at Cafe Orleans (if you really want to try it again). We had the Monte Cristo for lunch at Cafe Orleans where we were able to walk up to and get a table (pretty sure table service at WDW without reservations is unheard of). It's my understanding that the sandwich there is the exact same one they serve at Blue Bayou and it's got to be cheaper. We had steaks at Blue Bayou and my husband claims that meal was his favorite part of the entire trip.

Did you ever notice how big of a deal churros are there? We thought it was so funny, kind of like DLR's version of the Dole Whip - but they're everywhere.

Finally, on a completely different note (b/c this has already been entirely too long) congratulations on passing the bar and getting married! I took the Texas bar in July 2009 and after that experience and what I mess I was that entire summer know there is no way I could have thrown getting married and going on my honeymoon into the mix!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom