The Art of Marvel and Its Greater Implications

UNCgolf

Not much, maybe the sand bottom pool?

I only really like Contemporary. Caribbean Beach Club is fun bc you can see EPCOT fireworks from the beach.

Which explains why Disney has different styles for different people.

The Contemporary is one of the last places I'd want to stay at WDW because it doesn't have any interesting theming to set it in a specific time/place. Only the value resorts and the Riviera are less interesting to me off the top of my head.

That doesn't mean I think it's a bad hotel, but if everything at WDW was like it and the Riviera I'd probably stay off property. No reason to pay the huge upcharge to stay at WDW hotel for me if I'm not getting that interesting theming.

And just filling a hotel with movie characters isn't interesting theming for me; that would actually make it even worse.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No reason to pay the huge upcharge to stay at WDW hotel for me if I'm not getting that interesting theming..
Back in the day I enjoyed staying at the CBR because of the theming it already had and because there was no force shoved IP.

The Sequoia Lodge overhaul of 2010-12 was done tastefully. It’s a nice hotel that has small IP additions if you look for them.

Epcot82Guy

Back in the day I enjoyed staying at the CBR because of the theming it already had and because there was no force shoved IP.

The Sequoia Lodge overhaul of 2010-12 was done tastefully. It’s a nice hotel that has small IP additions if you look for them.

Except for the pushed in Sebastian and surprisingly loud Skyliner towers nose, I think the upgraded CBR is well done. As is Sequoia.

I actually don't mind Hotel New York. Graves' design was very pop art, so it almost looks like a comic book city already. That was a place where using the IP actually made sense in an asset that was tough to leverage otherwise without major changes.

But, we all know the mandate and its overuse.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I actually don't mind Hotel New York. Graves' design was very pop art, so it almost looks like a comic book city already. That was a place where using the IP actually made sense in an asset that was tough to leverage otherwise without major changes..
To be honest neither do I if it’s done tastefully and not shoved down your throat. We stayed there in 2008 and felt it was dated already.

castlecake2.0

Well, I don't know about you guys, but my head hurts. A lot. Between weeding out some emotionally biased sources and trying to put together everything that has been spit out today (my take from what I have been able to accumulate: nobody is completely telling the truth), I'm feeling done with it all. So, to quote Ludacris in Fast and Furious: Supercharged, "Let's Forget About all that mess. The party is here; the party is now. Time to act a fool."

So, as much as I would love a "group therapy" thread, I do have some actual news to get out there, and it all begins in Paris.

As many of you may or may not know, quasi-recently, Disneyland Paris's #2 hotel (Hotel New York) was taken out of commission for a multiyear refurb that will eventually turn it into "Hotel New York- The Art of Marvel." While the hotel's datedness demanded a refurb, the reason why Marvel was chosen for the refurb has to do with one of Chapek's biggest mandates to "leverage IP." So, with that in mind, you may be wondering why this is in the WDW forum, especially when that is old news. For better or worse, this is very much the strategy looking at being adopted going forward for WDW's resorts. While none of the resorts are bad enough to mandate a full closure of the hotel (and WDW isn't looking to shrink hotel capacity any time soon), lots of themes have been, and are being, explored for resorts, the most publicly known of which being the potential Incredibles refurb of the Contemporary.

The reason why The Art of Marvel is the comparison here, and not something like Art of Animation, is simply because this is meant to be more subdued, with the characters merely fitting into a designated motif (art deco for Marvel, mid century modern for the Incredibles, organic living for the upcoming Reflections resort, etc.) as opposed to an "immersive" (I hate that overused word) world that puts you into the movie. Thankfully, these developments have been stopped in some places (you can thank Disney Meetings and Gran Destino for preventing Coco from taking over Coronado Springs). Grand Floridian seems to be moving forward with a "Princess" inspiration following a decidedly "regal" motif, as seen in the upcoming Beauty and the Beast Lounge and infiltration of BBB.

If these efforts are given a complete green light, don't expect too many resorts to go under the knife, but the changes will be very noticeable at any resorts that do change. For instance, Poly and AK Lodge are safe with their pre-existing Lilo & Stitch, Moana, and Lion King "touches." Definitely watch to see how Art of Marvel and Reflections are received, as they may be reflections of the future of WDW Resorts.

PS: I know Gran Destino and Riviera fail to fit with this trend. The former was made for conventions, and the later has an AK Lodge level of IP integration that was deemed acceptable.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program where Martin is Walt's Secretary from a Past Life or Djuan Rivers is plotting to tank FOX's movie slate or lord knows what else.
Big Bump but looks like there will be construction impacts at the Grand starting March 1st “and will continue through next year”. While they specifically mention the villas being added, I can’t imagine that converting one building would take almost a year. The release also says “we will share more detailed information at a later date”. This leads me to believe the lobby makeover/room refurbishment is ramping up. Any word? Seeing what’s happening to the staterooms on the Wish and the direction Disneyland Hôtel Paris is taking, im assuming the Grand Will be following a similar style.

ToTBellHop

Big Bump but looks like there will be construction impacts at the Grand starting March 1st “and will continue through next year”. While they specifically mention the villas being added, I can’t imagine that converting one building would take almost a year. The release also says “we will share more detailed information at a later date”. This leads me to believe the lobby makeover/room refurbishment is ramping up. Any word? Seeing what’s happening to the staterooms on the Wish and the direction Disneyland Hôtel Paris is taking, im assuming the Grand Will be following a similar style.
I surprisingly actually like how the Wish staterooms look.

UNCgolf

That's unfortunate. The original Grand Floridian lobby with the orchestra etc. was one of the best spaces at any WDW resort, along with AKL in general and the former Polynesian lobby.

castlecake2.0

That's unfortunate. The original Grand Floridian lobby with the orchestra etc. was one of the best spaces at any WDW resort, along with AKL in general and the former Polynesian lobby.
Nothing official yet but I do seem to remember hearing the Bobs didnt care for the current feel of the resort. Could also explain why the orchestra was let go if they knew the lobby was going to be gutted soon... just a hunch this is happening.

UNCgolf

Nothing official yet but I do seem to remember hearing the Bobs didnt care for the current feel of the resort. Could also explain why the orchestra was let go if they knew the lobby was going to be gutted soon... just a hunch this is happening.

I also remember hearing that Bob Chapek specifically didn't like it; he wanted something more modern -- which defeats the whole purpose of the hotel.

It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised, but based on their other recent renovations (and especially the Riviera as a whole), it's hard for me to imagine a way this won't kill the appeal to staying at the GF.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

I also remember hearing that Bob Chapek specifically didn't like it; he wanted something more modern -- which defeats the whole purpose of the hotel.

It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised, but based on their other recent renovations (and especially the Riviera as a whole), it's hard for me to imagine any way this kill any appeal to staying at the GF for me.
Thé only people I would trust is whoever was in charge of the contemporary lobby lol

James Alucobond

I wouldn't mind fresh furnishings if they can restrain themselves, but they definitely should not gut it. You would think they'd realize there's a reason everyone takes wedding photos there. 🤷‍♂️ Doing something with the former aviary would be nice, though. That's kind of a waste of space now.

TrojanUSC

The hotel had become a joke as the "flagship" hotel of WDW. Outdated rooms with a few "modern" patches made the rooms feel like an Airport Renaissance hotel circa 2015 rather than deluxe rooms going for $750+night. The lobby was still overall pretty nice, but the furniture and finishings were certainly starting to show their age. So hopefully this just makes it all feel up to date and not tacky IP-driven nonsense (Contemporary rooms being the biggest offender). I actually thought the newer DVC rooms there were pretty nice.

James Alucobond

As soon as I saw those images I knew Disney wouldn’t be able to resist a BOGO deal on those design plans
I mean, it wouldn't be that bad as long as they don't throw the princess artwork on the wall. The color story is right, the furnishings are appropriate but updated, and the subtle carpet cameos are actually in keeping with the marble inlays in the main building.

castlecake2.0

I mean, it wouldn't be that bad as long as they don't throw the princess artwork on the wall. The color story is right, the furnishings are appropriate but updated, and the subtle carpet cameos are actually in keeping with the marble inlays in the main building.
Oh definitely. And the hotel needs an update for sure. I think the Grand and CBR have the most dated rooms on property right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom