The Art of Marvel and Its Greater Implications

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Attempts to define anything as "more Disney" or "less Disney" are worthless when "Disney" is ever changing, as Walt may have wanted to see (insert now-cliched "not a museum" quote). There's "classic Disney" but that Disney is not entirely better than Disney today or the Disney we'll see in the future.

IP in resorts can be tasteful or garish. Regarding Poly, we wouldn't be surprised to see some garish over themed themed rooms overtake some of the "standard view" category to oversee revenues, but like the pirate rooms at CB and princess rooms at PO, it doesn't mean that Disney is going to force more than some color pallettes and artwork on walls that can be purchased.

Brer Panther

I think this is a good place to repost this...

IPs, IPs Everywere.jpg

JoeCamel

That's in the Royal Pacific???

The Royal Pacific is a very nice hotel and I would happily stay there again, but not if I had to stay in a room like that! That's about as ugly a room as I've ever seen. I'm sure it's something specifically for kids, but oof. Really awful.
They have a couple of those, they are suites so you never have to enter that room if you choose not to

Epcot82Guy

Portofino Bay has Despicable Me rooms that are even less relevant to that hotel's theme.

Those are actually less offensive, especially if they are themed properly. Have a set of rooms as an upcharge themed in that way. Then have the rest of the resort be IP free or with subtle nods (like POR or CBR was). I think Universal does a great job with that.

UNCgolf

Those are actually less offensive, especially if they are themed properly. Have a set of rooms as an upcharge themed in that way. Then have the rest of the resort be IP free or with subtle nods (like POR or CBR was). I think Universal does a great job with that.

Yes, if they're determined to put IP in hotels where it doesn't belong, I would definitely prefer they restrict it to one specific area and leave the rest of the resort as is.

That's what they did with POR, actually. They have the Royal Guest Rooms that are themed to Tiana (along with nods to other princesses/movies), but the rest of the resort is IP free.

DCLcruiser

What is The Haunted Mansion’s connection to Disney? The Polynesian Village was not hurting for visitation.
Well, there is a movie... and it is an original ride at DLR, WDW, etc. I guess you can argue it's a haunted house.

It's Disney World at it's best. On the surface it's a rather pedestrian collection of square buildings, yet it's such a classic example of the original "vacation kingdom" vibe. Excellent placemaking and theming that didn't(and still doesn't) need to be propped up by a pre-existing popular IP-of-the-month.

It really couldn't possibly be any more Disney(at least the Disney of old), and they certainly don't have trouble finding families eager to stay there (pandemic notwithstanding). It doesn't need cartoons to draw people... It stands on its own all these decades later and speaks for itself.
I hear you. I've never been drawn to it (maybe bc I've gone to Hawaii). We stayed at Poly once in the 90s and it was ok. In my opinion it paled in comparison to the Contemporary - but they are going for different things.

DCLcruiser

A widely panned movie that has mostly been forgotten that came decades later. The Polynesian Village is an original Walt Disney World hotel, not different than the many still popular original rides at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
I get it. I guess, I'm thinking as a customer. If I can choose between three monorail Deluxe hotels at WDW, what is it about Poly that gets my attention? Contemporary has the futuristic look and monorail in the middle, Grand Floridian is on another level (although doesn't really entice me), and then there is Poly. The new overwater rooms are cool, but besides that?

lazyboy97o

read into this however you'd like. who knows if cameras will roll on it. but it's something
And?

I get it. I guess, I'm thinking as a customer. If I can choose between three monorail Deluxe hotels at WDW, what is it about Poly that gets my attention? Contemporary has the futuristic look and monorail in the middle, Grand Floridian is on another level (although doesn't really entice me), and then there is Poly. The new overwater rooms are cool, but besides that?
The design, a romantic interpretation of a place. No different than most of the Deluxe and Moderate resorts. What makes Yacht & Beach Club enticing if you're not interested in an old Atlantic seaside look?

DCLcruiser

And?

The design, a romantic interpretation of a place. No different than most of the Deluxe and Moderate resorts. What makes Yacht & Beach Club enticing if you're not interested in an old Atlantic seaside look?
Not much, maybe the sand bottom pool?

I only really like Contemporary. Caribbean Beach Club is fun bc you can see EPCOT fireworks from the beach.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom