The Art of Marvel and Its Greater Implications

Haymarket2008

The unique areas, hotels, and attractions found in WDW are what sets the resort apart. Diluting this place’s identity with slapping characters from film properties for no reason other than general aesthetic similarities is an issue. The Contemporary is in need of some help, but this AINT it. Go full on mid century and expand on the feel of the mural.

lazyboy97o

The unique areas, hotels, and attractions found in WDW are what sets the resort apart. Diluting this place’s identity with slapping characters from film properties for no reason other than general aesthetic similarities is an issue. The Contemporary is in need of some help, but this AINT it. Go full on mid century and expand on the feel of the mural.
Amazing how the work of people who actually worked for Disneys is not “Disney” enough for some.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I was wondering about the new cartoon, “Mulan characters visit Port Orleans Riverside”. I guess they’re dotting Is and crossing Ts so to speak. Good for them. More magic, More Disney...I didn’t even know Walt Disney World was part of Disney until my 100th visit, circa 1986. Glad they’re finally adding some Disney and playing it up.

eddie104

How is a printed wall graphic more Disney than a well crafted environment?
I'm not sure what you mean considering well crafted environments are not unique to Disney. Yes they did build hotels that have those elements but all of them are not on the same level.

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure what you mean considering well crafted environments are not unique to Disney. Yes they did build hotels that had those elements but not all are on the same level.
Disney had a unique design sensibility that created places to this day identified with Disney. Plastering character images on a wall is what lousy imitators did with no understanding of what made Disney special. You can buy a Fathead if you want the magic of a character on a wall.

Kman101

Good post. I’m also a 39 year old male with 2 daughters ages 8 and 9 who love the Frozen ride. They also love Journey into Imagination. I think people my age forget that the parks are never done and have to adjust with the times and current IPs the kids are into. Frozen, Descendants, yes even Marvel. My girls loved taking pictures with Cap and Black Panther a week and a half ago at California Adventure. I secretly loved it too...

No, you don't "adjust with the times" just for a 9 year old who won't be 9 years old next year. You make timeless attractions that captivate all audiences. At least this is what Disney used to do.

Seeing a Mr. Incredible cardboard cutout at the Contemporary doesn't make it "more Disney" to me.

Having Lilo and Stitch play with kids in the Poly makes it "more Disney" to me.

And nope, I'm not an 'IP' hater. I just think they need to go about it differently.

You'd be shocked to know Walt didn't design things "just for kids" ;)

wdwgreek

The thing Burbank fails to realize is that spaceship is as Disney as Mickey mouse to many. That the contemporary doesn't need the incredibles serving me steak for me to know I'm in Disney. There comes a point where rather then adding to the quality or immersiveness of the expierence that the influx of IPs being bashed over our head turns us off and turns us away.

rudyjr13

No, you don't "adjust with the times" just for a 9 year old who won't be 9 years old next year. You make timeless attractions that captivate all audiences. At least this is what Disney used to do.

Seeing a Mr. Incredible cardboard cutout at the Contemporary doesn't make it "more Disney" to me.

Having Lilo and Stitch play with kids in the Poly makes it "more Disney" to me.

And nope, I'm not an 'IP' hater. I just think they need to go about it differently.

You'd be shocked to know Walt didn't design things "just for kids" ;)

I experienced Legoland in California 2 weeks ago and I could clearly see the difference between that park and Disney. Legoland was mostly designed for kids...many rides had size and weight limits. I know that Disney doesn't do that. I get it. My point was that I have zero issue with adding more IP (old school or more recent) to hotels. There's a very vocal group of people on this site that hate on integrating IPs at any chance and I would counter that the majority of Disney fans like it and don't mind more of it. At least that's my opinion.

Meanwhile I saw a post earlier that they already took down the Incredibles artwork. Too many prying eyes perhaps. Or they made a decision already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom