The “wealthy” is not going to work

Lilofan

There's that I suppose, but there is one complete unknown when you are older and that is the date of ones departure from this mortal coil. Although it is true that no one is promised a tomorrow, the older you get the closer you get to that day. In the meantime you have to live and you don't want to end up broke before that time. Ideally you and your money run out at approximately the same time, but if your money goes first that dumpster dinner is not a very rewarding prospect
Yes that’s true. One senior citizen I know in his mid 70s still works out daily at the local gym. He lives day to day. He bought his dream car a convertible and he said he’s making payments monthly. He said he knows he will never pay it off and when he departs he departs.

SteveAZee

It would be interesting to see if guests spend more in the parks if it's less crowded. Speaking only from personal experience, but jockeying for a seat to eat or crowding into shops and standing on a checkout line stops me from 'in the moment' purchases. Certainly standing in long lines for an attraction also cuts into 'spending time', and not just the time itself but also feeling like spending money in the first place.

The reason I mention it is that perhaps there's bottom line value to raising prices but thinning the crowd a bit so MAYBE they only need to replace each 'non-wealthy' guest (for lack of a better term) with some fraction of a 'wealthy' guest to make the same (or more) earnings. Less guests also mean potentially less overhead (cast members, cleaning crew, maintenance, etc) which also trickles to the bottom line.

LOL I feel like I'm shilling for the CPA's at Disney.

Lilofan

It would be interesting to see if guests spend more in the parks if it's less crowded. Speaking only from personal experience, but jockeying for a seat to eat or crowding into shops and standing on a checkout line stops me from 'in the moment' purchases. Certainly standing in long lines for an attraction also cuts into 'spending time', and not just the time itself but also feeling like spending money in the first place.

The reason I mention it is that perhaps there's bottom line value to raising prices but thinning the crowd a bit so MAYBE they only need to replace each 'non-wealthy' guest (for lack of a better term) with some fraction of a 'wealthy' guest to make the same (or more) earnings. Less guests also mean potentially less overhead (cast members, cleaning crew, maintenance, etc) which also trickles to the bottom line.

Isn t that the operation of Discovery Cove Orlando? Capped to a certain attendance number , food and drink provided , dolphin encounter etc for approx $200-250 per guest.

Disney Glimpses

You're more or less hitting the nail on the head with the new capacity limits. Only so much merch and food can be sold and that calculus may not change when the park is 80% full vs 100% full. Which means anything beyond 80% would only degrade experience (as they are still selling tickets but directing people to other parks).

Disney's obviously marketing towards the higher end of earners but they are also simply targeting people willing to spend money. This starts with putting local APs (who are least likely to spend in the parks) at a disadvantage (which they are trying to out legally behind the scenes).

Disstevefan1

I do think WDW wants less folks in the parks to spend MORE money.

Less folks in the park mean lower costs to WDW.

Lowered costs while making more money. A perfect combination.

Will WDW evolve into a truly exclusive vacation destination?

Time will tell.

Disney Glimpses

This benefit is vastly over stated (most often by people talking about the goals of park reservations). There really are no significant differences in staffing levels. Let's face it, despite Disney limiting capacity, it's still mobbed. They still need all posts fully staffed.

Lilofan

I do think WDW wants less folks in the parks to spend MORE money.

Lowered costs while making more money. A perfect combination.

Will WDW evolve into a truly exclusive vacation destination?

Time will tell.
Less attendance in parks if that is the case how are hotel rooms going to be filled with. The mindset “ heads on beds “ is hotel mgt goals to run a full house every night.

eliza61nyc

Lately it ain't working for you, it is mostly on vacation and spending like drunken sailors.
folks ( not you personally goofy) lets not panick and swear the sky is falling. Lol no one was panicking the last decade when retirement accounts pulled in about 14%
Hopefully if you are retired, your accounts are set up so you can weather the down turn.
Actually I'm encouraging my youngins to ramp up their 401k to take advantage of the buy low part of the equation

Now I probably have more faith in humanity, I don't think folks going to WDW are living la Vida loca without thought. I think most do sit down and weigh out the pros and cons. I think for most it's a one and done trip. Also many folks budget extremely early for a WDW trip, sometimes up to a year in advance so even with gas gone wild, they can still go, they may cut back on a few things but they're probably not jeopardizing their old age

It's actually ironic, the more I go the less I spend because I know the ins and out.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

folks ( not you personally goofy) lets not panick and swear the sky is falling. Lol no one was panicking the last decade when retirement accounts pulled in about 14%
Hopefully if you are retired, your accounts are set up so you can weather the down turn.
Actually I'm encouraging my youngins to ramp up their 401k to take advantage of the buy low part of the equation

Now I probably have more faith in humanity, I don't think folks going to WDW are living la Vida loca without thought. I think most do sit down and weigh out the pros and cons. I think for most it's a one and done trip. Also many folks budget extremely early for a WDW trip, sometimes up to a year in advance so even with gas gone wild, they can still go, they may cut back on a few things but they're probably not jeopardizing their old age

It's actually ironic, the more I go the less I spend because I know the ins and out.
I haven't panicked and probably won't, but it is disheartening to see big chunks of value depart just when you need to draw from it to pay life's expenses.

SteveAZee

Isn t that the operation of Discovery Cove Orlando? Capped to a certain attendance number , food and drink provided , dolphin encounter etc for approx $200-250 per guest.
I've heard the place mentioned here.

Given the expansion of DVC on property, the lockdown on attendance (park reservations), the seasonal pricing (to smooth out the attendance) and a few other things... seems like they're trying to lock down a prix fixe for the whole resort. :)

Disstevefan1

This benefit is vastly over stated (most often by people talking about the goals of park reservations). There really are no significant differences in staffing levels. Let's face it, despite Disney limiting capacity, it's still mobbed. They still need all posts fully staffed.
Well, the park pass reservation system is literally limiting capacity, but yes, the parks do look to be mobbed still.

Perhaps the failed Genie+ system is making it seem mobbed?

Disstevefan1

Less attendance in parks if that is the case how are hotel rooms going to be filled with. The mindset “ heads on beds “ is hotel mgt goals to run a full house every night.
Well, maybe they will continue to hike the room rates such that they require less occupancy?

Historically they tended to operate at an average of 85 percent occupancy, I think?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, the park pass reservation system is literally limiting capacity, but yes, the parks do look to be mobbed still.

Perhaps the failed Genie+ system is making it seem mobbed?
My guess is that’s still a function of them not opening/providing enough in park locations that gobble up peeps. Those parks are designed to have everything open…not reduced staff situations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, maybe they will continue to hike the room rates such that they require less occupancy?

Historically they tended to operate at an average of 85 percent occupancy, I think?
They’ll never accept empty rooms as a policy…nor should they. The street would go nuts.

All theory and excuses aside…remember that each person is a walking atm and that’s how Wall Street correctly views them. So less is never “more”

And they are what they are.

Disstevefan1

They’ll never accept empty rooms as a policy…nor should they. The street would go nuts.

All theory and excuses aside…remember that each person is a walking atm and that’s how Wall Street correctly views them. So less is never “more”

And they are what they are.
I very much want to agree with you for the purely selfish reason that I would want it to be like it was before the pandemic,; with my no blackouts, no park pass reservation, Platinum AP and drop in whenever I want and spend too much money for stuff I don't need and spend too much money for crappy food and liking it! :)

But TWDC apparent does not want that any more :(

2019, Ah, the good old days...

Disney Glimpses

Think of it this way: the busiest days in April pre-COVID didn't trigger phased closures. Their limits will be close to that no matter what day it is (July 4th, New Years, etc). So while they are limiting capacity, it's really likely not keeping many people out on the busiest days.

Disstevefan1

Think of it this way: the busiest days in April pre-COVID didn't trigger phased closures. Their limits will be close to that no matter what day it is (July 4th, New Years, etc). So while they are limiting capacity, it's really likely not keeping many people out on the busiest days.
Well as a check, I looked at park pass reservations for right now. Not a peak time as the tickets are at their lowest price of $109.
So even in off peak times they are trying to limit visitors to MK and DHS.

I honestly never totally understood the park pass reservation system; but I do think is works to keep staffing to minimum and force folks to go to a park THEY want you to go to on a given day.

1659030476026.png

1659030555893.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom