The “wealthy” is not going to work

Trauma

Original Poster
Disney is catering to the wealthy.

They don’t want the middle class.

They can upcharge all they want the wealthy will pay for it!

These are things I see here daily to explain away the fiscal policy of the mousetrap.

Now let’s use a liberal definition of the word “wealthy” as a household making 200k a year or more.

That puts us somewhere around 26 million households in the states. I’m aware that the Mouse gets overseas visitors, but they seriously expect 30% of the households to not only visit but repeat visit on a yearly basis?

Let’s not forgot the more $$$ people make the more they expect. When your used to the Four Seasons the Contemporary is going to seem lacking.

It’s often discussed here that Disney can’t fail. It’s impossible.

However the idea that the “wealthy” are going to carry this company is ridiculous.

It has to be the middle class.

What’s the long term game plan?

What happens if the recession does come?

I would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts.

correcaminos

I think your definition of who can go is a bit too high. JMO based on who I know who can easily afford to go and how much they approximately make. They're middle class still - and I'll pick that $200k isn't the lower limit for upper class as well in many regions.

A lower middle class might struggle. But to say they don't want middle class? If that's the case they should sell off Pop Century etc

Also most visitors to WDW are not onsite guests so they aren't even paying that much.

Vinnie Mac

These are things I see here daily to explain away the fiscal policy of the mousetrap.

Now let’s use a liberal definition of the word “wealthy” as a household making 200k a year or more.

That puts us somewhere around 26 million households in the states. I’m aware that the Mouse gets overseas visitors, but they seriously expect 30% of the households to not only visit but repeat visit on a yearly basis?

Let’s not forgot the more $$$ people make the more they expect. When your used to the Four Seasons the Contemporary is going to seem lacking.

However the idea that the “wealthy” are going to carry this company is ridiculous.

I'm not in the crowd that thinks Disney is trying to eliminate the middle class per se but I'll entertain the idea for the next point I'm about to make. If this is the case, I guess Disney's logic is that rich guest are going to be much more willing to pay for uncharges which would offset any decrease in profit because of lower guest numbers.

In reality, I just think that Disney is trying to suck as much money from this once in a generation event. These consistently large crowds are abnormal but not at all shocking. When you have tourist coming in from international restrictions being dropped, "COVID revenge" tourist, 50th anniversary tourist, as well as new shows and ride offerings, you get unprecedented crowd levels. Disney knows that this is a rare situation (or at least rare enough to the point where none of us here will live long enough to see something like this happen again). So they want to profit where they can. I think the first signs of price drops we'll see is when a true offseason rolls around (which may be awhile).

Tom P.

The average attendance at Magic Kingdom in a year is over 20,000,000 visitors. In 2020, in the midst of a global pandemic during which Walt Disney World was shut down for a lengthy period of time, attendance was still approximately 7,000,000.

Unless there are WAY more wealthy people in this country than any of us think, Disney is not only attracting the wealthy people. Not by a long shot. The middle class is still coming to Disney in droves.

Trauma

Original Poster
I think your definition of who can go is a bit too high. JMO based on who I know who can easily afford to go and how much they approximately make. They're middle class still - and I'll pick that $200k isn't the lower limit for upper class as well in many regions.

A lower middle class might struggle. But to say they don't want middle class? If that's the case they should sell off Pop Century etc

Also most visitors to WDW are not onsite guests so they aren't even paying that much.
I agree with you Helena it does seem high. I’m just responding to constant headlines I’m seeing about how Disney is targeting the “wealthy”.

It’s not sustainable.

Here is an example of such and article from yesterday.

Vinnie Mac

The average attendance at Magic Kingdom in a year is over 20,000,000 visitors. In 2020, in the midst of a global pandemic during which Walt Disney World was shut down for a lengthy period of time, attendance was still approximately 7,000,000.

Unless there are WAY more wealthy people in this country than any of us think, Disney is not only attracting the wealthy people. Not by a long shot. The middle class is still coming to Disney in droves.
I find it strange how almost everyone I see complaining about the price increases are people who are theme park enthusiast. I rarely see the GP mention it. Disney World is known for being very expensive though so I think it's just that it doesn't come as a surprise when someone books a trip nowadays and it's a very pretty penny.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

$200k in my city is middle class for a family of 4, but they still might be renters and the kids are going to public school.

Granted, they'll be renters in a neighborhood with good schools.

Vegas Disney Fan

Those aren’t unique guests either, between APs and repeat visitors it’s probably half that number.

I agree the $200k is too high, $75-100k is probably a more realistic threshold for the majority of their guests. Middle class to upper middle class.

Disstevefan1

Its costing more and more to vacation at WDW, absolutely true.

Annual income is not the measuring stick.

Disposable income is the measuring stick.

There are many families that make less than 200K but have no debt and have low monthly costs.

They can save up and use their disposable income to feed the Mou$e

Last edited:

correcaminos

$200k in NYC or San Francisco and you're struggling.
Really? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracuse.com/living/2021/06/are-you-middle-class-use-this-calculator-to-compare-income-levels-in-ny-other-states.html?outputType=amp

They are on the cusp of upper even there. And as I said regionally $200k on average is not middle class.

Last edited by a moderator:

correcaminos

I agree with you Helena it does seem high. I’m just responding to constant headlines I’m seeing about how Disney is targeting the “wealthy”.

It’s not sustainable.

Here is an example of such and article from yesterday.

Yeah I saw that and it is somewhat true and sorta not. We actually do the add ons but know we don't have to. I think that's the thing. Upcharges aren't required still.

I do think some of the changes are crap though. Yet I still keep going. Trip #3 in a years time coming up 🤣

Vinnie Mac

I do think some of the changes are crap though. Yet I still keep going. Trip #3 in a years time coming up 🤣
I think it all comes down to limits. For some, their limit has been reached, for others, the parks are still very enjoyable. Do I hate some of the changes? For sure. But I'd be lying if I said that our October 2021 trip wasn't really fun. Probably some of the most fun we've had there besides the holiday parties. Us watching HarmonioUS is still a memory I smile thinking about all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom