Testing Complete in 2012?

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I'm not really sure of what to make of this rumor, but based on the information I have heard from various sources, it seems like it would be correct. According to a rumor I heard a while back, Test Track is scheduled to close for refurbishment for 6 months starting in January 2012. According to a new rumor I heard today, it's not going to be a refurbishment, but rather a overhaul of the entire attraction.

The new attraction will have a different name, still be sponsored by GM (who apparently made the call on it's creation), and be focused on the creation of new cars rather than testing. It will include a new fleet of vehicles (hopefully similar to the ones used in next gen Test Track rides such as Radiator Springs Racers) and some track modifications. The ride system and most of the track will apparently remain as is, which is why it will only take 6 months to make this happen.

I have a feeling we will be hearing more about this at D23 this year. It seems to be a completely realistic proposition, especially considering Epcot has a big anniversary next year and it's the park that has had the longest drought, not including minor attractions such as Captain EO's return or Innoventions.

Not really sure what to make of this, since I am a huge Test Track fan. Thoughts?

menamechris

I have to say, I think it is odd that they are concerning themselves with re-doing extremely popular rides before taking care of the obvious duds. I know because it is corporate sponsored, this may be GM's doing - but I personally can think of about half a dozen attractions I think need more help and attention than Test Track...

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I have to say, I think it is odd that they are concerning themselves with re-doing extremely popular rides before taking care of the obvious duds. I know because it is corporate sponsored, this may be GM's doing - but I personally can think of about half a dozen attractions I think need more help and attention than Test Track...

That's my feeling too. I'd rather see Imagination 4.0 over a new version of Test Track, but I guess this is what's gonna happen. We'll see if any more details will be revealed anytime soon.

Pioneer Hall

I feel like this rumor is a stretch for the above mentioned reason...but who knows what the corporate dealings between the two companies are. That's the nice thing about having a sponsor. If they are willing to pay then Disney will make things happen.

Ignohippo

Absolutely! It would make no sense to re-do a ride that's in good shape and is incredibly popular while half of FutureWorld is in complete disarray.

JustInTime

I have heard this rumor many times so this doesn't surprise me. Inface this almost seems definite based on what I have heard as well. However, I would rather have Imagination and Universe of Energy redone. Or Wonders of Life filled up. Or Captain EO replaced. Or a new Country added. Or Spaceship Earth finished. Or Innovations replaced. Or have something go into the old Odyssey building that sets empty...yeah, there are other things that should be repaired/redone first...

wdwfan4ver

I don't know what to think the rumor at this time since D23 starts on August 19th and the final day of D23 is on August 21st. There maybe some stock into this rumor since I remembered why the ill fated Imagination 2.0 was done in terms of power that a sponsor has.

I am fan of Test Track. I know Test Track has been in Epcot for a long time and is still a popular ride. I could see Test Track needing an overhaul due to the fact a soft opening happened on December 1998, but it wouldn't be the first attraction on my list of future World that needs to be updated.

Universe of Energy should be higher on the list for updating since the recent version of it opened in 1996 and I don't the film has been updated since that time. Imagination 4.0 also should be higher up in terms of improving future World. Imagination 2.0 and 3.0 didn't have the crowds as the original Imagination did. I have to agree the finishing Spaceship Earth should be a higher priority also.

I also could name of number of attractions from other WDW Parks that need to updated or overhauled such as The Great Movie Ride.

NoChesterHester

For some reason I believe this crazy rumor.

Splitting the cost of an attraction refurb would shot put it to the top of the list. GM needs some positive news and could use the refurbishment as a real marketing campaign.

Hmmmm.

lazyboy97o

This.

Though I'd love to see a BBC/Disney/GM mash up... Top Gear's World of Motion. :lol:
I too recently thought about how much a Top Gear overlay would improve Test Track. Most of it could remain virtually the same, but with James May going on about the importance of each test all culminating with Clarkson handing us over to The Stig for the high speed test.

Krack

If it's true (I doubt it), I think we're burying the lead ... can you think of any more boring concept for an attraction than "How we build a car?" What a waste of money they'd be making.

JIMINYCR

GM being the sponsor of the ride, does so to promote their line of cars. If they want to upgrade the ride to make it more appealing by tying in the fascination of movie theme of Cars, then they are playing it smart. Anything new will bring the number of people to the attraction and therefore get them to see their brand name on everything. "How we build a car" is what they do! I would find it fascinating. All in all, let them do what they want to do, keeping a sponsor for a major attraction happy keeps the attraction running which keeps us guests happy.

jonhix

post rehab Test Track will be sponsored by Chevy, not 'overall' GM and will feature only Chevy products. Pre show will be updated, as will post show, ride will remain essentially intact.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There have been lots of speculation on Test Track over the years, but it is gaining pace now. A Cars theme has been strongly tipped in recent months.

The current state of the interior does suggest that there are plans to do something sooner rather than later.

jt04

There have been lots of speculation on Test Track over the years, but it is gaining pace now. A Cars theme has been strongly tipped in recent months.

The current state of the interior does suggest that there are plans to do something sooner rather than later.

Interesting timing with the completion of Carsland at DCA. Seems to me though that a Cars overlay pretty much buries the original Future World ideal. Unless they have something very clever as part of the storyline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom