News Test Track to be reimagined

hopemax

But wait….. I thought the “experts” on this board said there could ONLY be projects connected with an IP. And that anything else was wrong cause the “people have spoken.”
Disney money, the Disney IP mandate is still probably required. We never really discussed what would happen if a Sponsor didn’t want Disney characters competing with their IP. Chevrolet IP will presumably be featured, so I don’t think this violates the IP rules as so much as adds clarity that whoever pays gets their IP.

MagicHappens1971

But wait….. I thought the “experts” on this board said there could ONLY be projects connected with an IP. And that anything else was wrong cause the “people have spoken.”
The reality is that the "IP" here is Chevy. They are footing the bill. I made this comparison with Journey of Water, the Disney Princess™ Moana® is "footing" the bill for that attraction.

If Chevy wasn't interested in keeping this sponsorship, Disney probably would've looked for a new sponsor, if they couldn't find one, the attraction would probably sit dormant as is (minus references to Chevy) for another 10-15 years before they would infuse Generic Disney IP from 2033™.

DisneyFanatic12

Does anyone know if the Test Track ride system is adjustable without gutting the system? For example, the brake test area, does it always have to stop, speed up, brake or do they have the ability to just tell the system to keep moving and go at a steady pace. I think if the ride system has no flexibility that will always make it challenging and put constraints on how you tell a story.

I would like to see them enclose the outdoor portion so that this ride would not go down during bad weather any longer.
No publicly available info on it I don’t think, but each car is individually propelled and powered by a bus bar underneath the track. Given this, the track seems to be just there to give the car something to drive on (obviously it needs the area in the center for the wires to pass through, as well as a pole, as there are 8 wheels under the track I believe).

In fact, during day to day operations, you will occasionally go through a segment at a slow speed as you wait for the block infront of you to clear (I guess they decided going slow is better than stopping).

Cars might need to be reprogrammed (which is expensive) and possibly outfitted with new hardware (which can be expensive and difficult), but it should be able to be done. Would they do it is another question…

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Your really reaching with this one. GM/Chevorlet have been paying for this attraction since day one. Like others have mentioned Chevorlet IS the IP. Its basically a paid advertisment ride.

Joel

Test Track is obviously a Chevy advertisement, but Chevy is not "the IP" of Test Track in the same way that, say, Frozen is the IP of the ride formerly known as Maelstrom. No one rides Test Track because it's "presented by Chevrolet". They ride it for the thrill of going slightly slower than I drive through a school zone.

But yeah, of course Disney is more willing to build attractions that don't have their own IP shoved in them if someone else is footing the bill. Wish it weren't that way, though.

MagicHappens1971

Test Track is obviously a Chevy advertisement, but Chevy is not "the IP" of Test Track in the same way that, say, Frozen is the IP of the ride formerly known as Maelstrom. No one rides Test Track because it's "presented by Chevrolet". They ride it for the thrill of going slightly slower than I drive through a school zone.

But yeah, of course Disney is more willing to build attractions that don't have their own IP shoved in them if someone else is footing the bill. Wish it weren't that way, though.
This is what I was saying in my post above. Chevy is the IP in the same way that Frozen is the IP that replaced Maelstrom. Chevy gives Disney money, Frozen sells merch. Potato /potato

Cmdr_Crimson

The reality is that the "IP" here is Chevy. They are footing the bill. I made this comparison with Journey of Water, the Disney Princess™ Moana® is "footing" the bill for that attraction.

If Chevy wasn't interested in keeping this sponsorship, Disney probably would've looked for a new sponsor, if they couldn't find one, the attraction would probably sit dormant as is (minus references to Chevy) for another 10-15 years before they would infuse Generic Disney IP from 2033™.
Your really reaching with this one. GM/Chevorlet have been paying for this attraction since day one. Like others have mentioned Chevorlet IS the IP. Its basically a paid advertisment ride.
You'd think they would have switched with Hyundai since they are promoting a car with them now...

MrPromey

I just hope they do away with the horrible bottleneck after the design rooms.
That bottleneck was by design. If they didn't want it, they'd have positioned it closer to the loading platforms.

The purpose of the design room is not only to eat up some line time and not make it feel like line time but also to break up the actual time standing in line doing nothing - just like the video room in 1.0* and in Dinosaur, and a bunch of other attractions in the Central Florida area.

It's no mistake that all this happens after the LL merge point, either.

*I recall there were times things got backed up and there wasn't enough space on the other side of the doors in the original version.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Also just to clarify I don't have a problem with Chevorlet being the IP and the pavillion being a paid advertisment for them. That was the core concept of EPCOT's Future World. So everything is above board in this particular situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom