News Test Track to be reimagined

Thepuma

Personal opinion here but, I think a Back To The Future ride could work perfectly in Test Track. Although it's a Universal Baby so clearly not possible legally...but just a pipe dream.

aladdin2007

If Spaceship Earth got a sponsor, they would've announced an overhaul for it already. Test Track is happening because the contract has been renewed.
I know, but SE has no sponsor in sight and pretty soon they are going to have to do something. its limping mechanically, show quality aside.

DisneyOutsider

The same thing with monument. It doesn't mean what you think it means. If you dont like cars, say that.
I have said exactly what I mean in both of my posts you've replied to, and you've offered no rebuttal to either of them. Only vague semantic disagreements that don't even try to form an argument.

You're the one who needs to speak more frankly, not me.

ppete1975

Odd. Wom was my favorite ride as a kid. But are they just saying this to attract us nostalgic original epcot fans. If so it’s probably a step backwards. Not speaking of quality but to tell a story (which wom cues would need). Youd have to slow the ride way down. The reason test track is popular is the speed track outside (it sure isnt for the tronish indoors part. Until guardians it was the closest thing ti a thrill ride epcot had. So if its slowed down to tell a good story, will its appeal and lines shrink regardless of quality of story.

ppete1975

I know, but SE has no sponsor in sight and pretty soon they are going to have to do something. its limping mechanically, show quality aside.
I wonder if crowd wise they can onlu have one (old man term) future world attraction closed at once. So the attraction with a sponsor leapfrogs all those that dont. And they dont feel they have the capacity abilities to close another.

TTA94

Unpopular opinion but I so badly want the existing track ripped out and something brand new. But I’m 99% sure that’s not gonna happen unfortunately.

MerlinTheGoat

Test Track was the most expensive ride they’d ever built.
While it was never going to be a particularly inexpensive attraction, it certainly cost them far more than they initially planned when they first started building. The ride had massive technical difficulties during construction that they did not anticipate during R&D. There were multiple lengthy delays and the budget ballooned out of control. It was originally scheduled to open in May 1997, just under a year and a half after they closed WoM. That kept getting delayed.

The computer systems couldn't manage the quantity of cars they needed, it would freeze up even with only a relatively small amount. They had to develop a more sophisticated system, new computers and rewritten software. The tires on the vehicles also wore out quickly and they had to get a new smoother variety developed. Then in December 1997, one of the vehicles reportedly crashed into a wall during testing. It was delayed yet another year after.

The decision to close World of Motion was indeed partially motivated by the maintenance costs of all of the animatronics. GM also wanted a faster ride, along with one more specifically focused on their products.

There was a similar concept to Test Track developed to be built alongside World of Motion back in the 70s before the pavilion was finalized. That would have been an acceptable way to find a middle ground between keeping WoM and building something speedier nearby. Too bad.

Because Test Track is just a way better ride than World of Motion ever was.

Someone has to say it.
"It's Fun To Be Free Wrong".

Test Track to me is just a dark empty feeling warehouse with nothing to see aside from some ugly factory equipment or poor man's Tron strips of fluorescent paint (1.0 and 2.0 respectively, I don't like either). And I can literally get the same sort of "thrill" by just normal daily driving (arguably more thrilling thanks to Florida's lunatic drivers). Better scenery too.

World of Motion was fantastic and unique, even compared to the other EPCOT classics. It was a wonderfully detailed time travel ride with a very silly twist, tons of silly Marc Davis animatronic designs and a really catchy soundtrack. Ending on a hopeful glimpse at the future as with other EPCOT classics.

To be fair, the original WOM had a solid number of projections.
Yes, as supplementary parts of the sets or as a means to transition from one scene to the next. Horizons did this as well. That's a fine way to handle projection effects, as supplementary/transitional elements instead of replacing detailed physical sets and enormous quantity of animatronic figures (the real meat of these classics). I think it had the most animatronic figures of any Disney ride until Sinbad at Tokyo Disneyland.

The scenes most people remember so fondly are the cavemen with sore feet, the captain and the sea monster, the train robbery, the turn of the century traffic jam etc.

hopemax

The park might fade into obscurity if you were in charge. Surely you recognize that the vast majority of people would much prefer Test Track over World of Motion.
Most people have no idea what World of Motion was at this point. I am confident that the appeal of TT has more to do with the outside, fast-but-not-scary track than the show scenes in the first part of the ride. If some of the original show scenes from WoM were still there, but with the current speedy finale, I don't think many people would be lamenting the loss of the current show scenes.

If they can pull off a best of both worlds, it could be a win for fans and WDW. But honestly, I don't know what we can realistically expect. A soundtrack with callbacks to Fun to Be Free, some families on vacation in their vintage to modern Chevy cars... I don't immediately know how they could work in the Sea Serpent... mural in the queue or exit as background to Tik Toks?

Horizonsfan

Re-reading the tweet(x?) they sent out for this, my expectation isn't wholesale re-interpretation of WOM scenes.

"Imagineers along with teams from @Chevrolet are looking back to the original World of Motion for inspiration and bringing that spirit of optimism to the next iteration of the attraction! "

While I would love for V3.0 to be populated with AAs, I'll be shocked if we get more than 10. If they're not modifying the current track layout, I absolutely don't expect any.

We know from the concept art more realistic sets and a new vehicle wrap are coming. Beyond that, my baseline expectations for WOM infusion from current Disney would be:
- Reintroduction of "Its Fun To Be Free" throughout
- New Pre-show & ride narration with a humorous bent
- Post-show refresh

There's also the maybes of:
- a slower lift hill & initial descent with projections referencing classic WOM scenes.
- New queue displays with a history bent
- Vignettes along the ride path in a Marc Davis style (projection or limited range figures)

Regardless, this is an exciting change. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised with what they do.

DisneyFanatic12

I wonder if this is because the current TT leans heavy on Tron inspired aesthetics and we now have an actual Tron attraction at WDW.
Seems more like the sponsor (Chevrolet/GM) wants it spiced up. When created, technologically advanced cars were enticing for consumers. Now, however, technologically “advanced” cars are pretty much the norm. Decision could also have been related to lower guest satisfaction with V2 compared to the original, but that doesn’t seem as likely. Could have played a role, but it seems more like the “advertisement” was in need of an update.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom