News Test Track to be reimagined

JohnD

I am very well aware of the aesthetic leaving Test Track. Good riddance. What you described for an addition at the end, is being in a vehicle and racing another vehicle on a screen. Is that not what Tron at MK boils down to? They shouldn’t do that.

Before we all start arm chair Imagineering, let’s make a rule of no screens. Like in the good old days of Disney Imagineering. Now I definitely can get on board with different Biomes. Where have I seen that? Like Living with the Land, right? Wait a minute…
If it's the same track, what do you do with the slow section that currently shows the smoke going over the top of the vehicle? Wouldn't that need to be a screen of something?

Phicinfan

SSE is in pretty good shape other than the return. Test track being tied back to classic Epcot is a huge step in the right direction
We can agree to disagree, but the last two trips I took to Epcot in the last two years SSE was down or having issues each time, and I see more and more reports of this.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
We can agree to disagree, but the last two trips I took to Epcot in the last two years SSE was down or having issues each time, and I see more and more reports of this.
The track is having a lot of issues, which necessitates a refurbishment basically as soon as possible, but the scenes themselves look great aside from the descent. Still, it opened in 82, got its first big refurb 12 years later in 94, got another big one 13 years later in 07, and now we're at 17 years since that one...

WDWFREAK53

I am very well aware of the aesthetic leaving Test Track. Good riddance. What you described for an addition at the end, is being in a vehicle and racing another vehicle on a screen. Is that not what Tron at MK boils down to? They shouldn’t do that.

Before we all start arm chair Imagineering, let’s make a rule of no screens. Like in the good old days of Disney Imagineering. Now I definitely can get on board with different Biomes. Where have I seen that? Like Living with the Land, right? Wait a minute…
I'm glad there isn't an attraction where you fly over beautiful landscapes shoved in front of a giant screen. Or even better...I'm so glad there aren't multiple instances where you fly a spaceship (and have an engineer...and a pilot).

There is only so much that can be done with the "Test Track" theme. With Chevy fitting the bill, that theme won't change. I just have a feeling Chevy is going to want to focus more on their brand/image and the digital test track wasn't it. I could see a retheme to riders cruising across the US on a road trip while the onboard computer explains the highlights of the vehicle and it culminating with them showing off their engineering by joining a NASCAR race. To me, that seems timeless. It's less "Future World" and more highlights the beauty of the world around us.

TrainsOfDisney

Maybe it’s just different experiences - on my recent trips I saw several effects I hadn’t seen working in years and no major issues.

The descent and post show needs a refresh though.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Enclosing the outdoor track could allow them to do some interesting projection type things (look like you're racing someone, etc.) plus allow it to remain open during bad weather - probably would be an expensive thing to do though... but there are some benefits there

osian

If it's the same track, what do you do with the slow section that currently shows the smoke going over the top of the vehicle? Wouldn't that need to be a screen of something?

What was there before in Test Track 1.0 didn't involve screens. The first room contained hundreds of heat lamps and was very hot, the second was kept very cold and blue (an "ice room"), and the third contained two Kuka robot arm type things (probably weren't actual Kuka arms). There are a billion different things you can do with a slow ride-through section like that, even to the extent of having having sets and animatronics! We don't yet know what is going to be done with any of the scenes and locations in the ride.

Earlie the Pearlie

What was there before in Test Track 1.0 didn't involve screens. The first room contained hundreds of heat lamps and was very hot, the second was kept very cold and blue (an "ice room"), and the third contained two Kuka robot arm type things (probably weren't actual Kuka arms). There are a billion different things you can do with a slow ride-through section like that, even to the extent of having having sets and animatronics! We don't yet know what is going to be done with any of the scenes and locations in the ride.
I finagled with some blueprints a while back to see which, if any, scenes from World of Motion could fit into the current indoor layout, especially the slow sections. It turns out that you can fit slightly smaller versions of most of the original scenes! I was pretty proud of what I came up with. I’ll post it here a little bit later.

HMF

The track is having a lot of issues, which necessitates a refurbishment basically as soon as possible, but the scenes themselves look great aside from the descent. Still, it opened in 82, got its first big refurb 12 years later in 94, got another big one 13 years later in 07, and now we're at 17 years since that one...
17 years of dumb script and no ending? That's just depressing.

TTA94

If this does close in July, any guesses on when it reopens? I think 2026 would be a fair guess, but greatly depends on how big of an overhaul this will be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom