Test Track refurb???

WDWGoof07

While I partially agree with you, your not considering that Test Track is a sponsored pavilion, and this money is not coming from Disney, rather its corporate sponsor GM.
If this rumor is credible, I understand why Disney would have to change the ride. I just don't think it's a good reason. Test Track is a terrific piece of Imagineering, and it is popular with WDW guests. Those are two reasons that should justify the ride's continued existence in its current form at this time. A good refurb, some small show enhancements, some new post-show exhibits, and an upgrade to the Radiator Springs Racers version of the ride vehicles would be welcome, but, at its core, it should remain the same ride for now. GM may be putting up the money to do it, but Disney would still be using time and creative resources that would be better spent on some other area that actually needs an improvement in WDW.

That's the downside of having a ride sponsored, I guess.

janoimagine

I think the downside is when you have a ride with no sponsor ... take a look at the Wonders of Life ... Journey into Imagination and the former Horizons. Epcot is a different animal from the Magic Kingdom in this respect.

Radiator Springs Racers uses the same tech and ride system as Test Track ... so I am not sure if I would classify that as an upgrade, unless you mean giving Test Track a Pixar Overlay, in which case that would be a downgrade in my book. WDI wants to bring back Future World to its former glory of being a leader in tech and forethinking. I would love to see them start this trend with Test Track.

If you want Radiator Springs Racers, plan a trip to Cali when it opens next summer.

HMF

If this rumor is credible, I understand why Disney would have to change the ride. I just don't think it's a good reason. Test Track is a terrific piece of Imagineering, and it is popular with WDW guests. Those are two reasons that should justify the ride's continued existence in its current form at this time. A good refurb, some small show enhancements, some new post-show exhibits, and an upgrade to the Radiator Springs Racers version of the ride vehicles would be welcome, but, at its core, it should remain the same ride for now. GM may be putting up the money to do it, but Disney would still be using time and creative resources that would be better spent on some other area that actually needs an improvement in WDW.

Last time I rode Test Track (May of 08) it looked exactly like it did when I first rode it back in November of 1999 and it has not aged well. As long as they don't screw up royally like they did with Spaceship Earth 2007 I can only see this as a good thing.

Cosmic Commando

I think the downside is when you have a ride with no sponsor ... take a look at the Wonders of Life ... Journey into Imagination and the former Horizons. Epcot is a different animal from the Magic Kingdom in this respect.
I agree about WoL and Horizons, but Imagination was changed because of the sponsor, not a lack thereof.

True, but it was always designed to be a moving scene.

Yeah, but "reporting" that it isn't moving is like reporting that the Yeti didn't move today. The only news story will be if it ever works again.

WDWGoof07

Radiator Springs Racers uses the same tech and ride system as Test Track ... so I am not sure if I would classify that as an upgrade, unless you mean giving Test Track a Pixar Overlay, in which case that would be a downgrade in my book. WDI wants to bring back Future World to its former glory of being a leader in tech and forethinking. I would love to see them start this trend with Test Track.

If you want Radiator Springs Racers, plan a trip to Cali when it opens next summer.
The Radiator Springs Racers ride system is version 3 of the Test Track technology (version 2 being Journey to the Center of the Earth in TDS). The functionality of the system is about the same, but there probably have been some behind-the-scenes improvements to the technology in post-Test Track iterations to improve reliability.

I'm not saying I want Test Track changed to a Cars ride. I spent my last two posts explaining why the ride should stay the same.

Test Track doesn't need to be made more futuristic. It's doing a good job of that already, if you ask me. We can imagine all of these great ideas of our cars, like alternative fuels and interior electronic features, but none of that matters if the car cannot perform reliably or withstand the punishment it will be subjected to (and more). Cars need to be able to go from point A to point B reliably and consistently for a long lifespan. They are complex machines with many subsystems, and every subsystem has to do its job in every circumstance. The ride imparts good lessons about robust design in the most entertaining way imaginable - that is, allowing guests to be play the role of test drivers, a job which most people can only fantasize about.

hpyhnt 1000

Disagree 100%

Right there with you. There are a MANY ways Test Track could be more futuristic, and it looks like this refurb would address some of them.

So far, this rumored refurb looks very promising and, at this point, I can't find one thing I don't like about it. Remember, if this does take place, its because of GM, not Disney. They sponsor the pavilion, and if they want changes and are willing to pay, then change it shall (as well it should - after 15 years, its time for something new).

HMF

Right there with you. There are a MANY ways Test Track could be more futuristic, and it looks like this refurb would address some of them.

So far, this rumored refurb looks very promising and, at this point, I can't find one thing I don't like about it. Remember, if this does take place, its because of GM, not Disney. They sponsor the pavilion, and if they want changes and are willing to pay, then change it shall (as well it should - after 15 years, its time for something new).

Technically 12 years but yeah.
WOM lasted 14 years, so, yep it's time for a change.

pppapazo

I completely agree. I only rode Test Track once, but I found the whole experience, and especially the theme, rather mundane. Was World of Motion futuristic? No, not really, but it was a stellar Audio-Animatronic attraction, and if the new refurb can regain even some of that optimistic look back to look forward feeling, I'll be happy.

And with regard to the rumored Tron-like effects, I wonder if there's any chance that Imagineering would consider enclosing the banked turn portion of the ride. I bet some cool lighting effects could go a long way to making the experience even more unique and intense.

misterID

I wonder if there's any chance that Imagineering would consider enclosing the banked turn portion of the ride. I bet some cool lighting effects could go a long way to making the experience even more unique and intense.

I was thinking about that myself. That would be cool.

janoimagine

Stuff like this bothers me because it could have been easily updated. It can't be that hard for them to get new footage for the pre-show.

They have the new footage, it is shot every time they make a working prototype, and their Ad agencies do running footage packages every model year ... it's a joke that at least this part hasn't been updated ... actualy its embarassing.

RSoxNo1

The barrier test scene is static. The vehicle isn't supposed to move.

Yes it is ... rather was ... rather it use to ... :D

Regarding the barrier test car, I believe the current one is supposed to at least "bounce" as if we just missed the impact.

My understanding (and recollection) was that this seen bounced/pushed forward into the wall a bit. It wasn't the same collapse-able hood that was present when the attraction first opened but it was something.

WDITrent

The Radiator Springs Racers ride system is version 3 of the Test Track technology (version 2 being Journey to the Center of the Earth in TDS).
It's actually more advanced than that, as the short-lived Rocket Rods of 1998 used the same technology of an onboard computer driving and steering the car. The only difference is that the track was exposed, not under a separate themed surface.

And you can count the Indiana Jones Adventures at the DLR and the improved system at TDR as well as Dinosaur which opened in between, as they also work exactly like Test Track. The only difference is in the vehicle itself, which has a motion base on top of the chassis.

So then, RSR would be seventh generation. :)

And with regard to the rumored Tron-like effects, I wonder if there's any chance that Imagineering would consider enclosing the banked turn portion of the ride. I bet some cool lighting effects could go a long way to making the experience even more unique and intense.
That is an awesome idea. Imagine a finale like World of Motion's...just a little bit faster. :D

And an onboard soundtrack! Test Track needs some great, inspirational Epcotty music.

WDWGoof07

It's actually more advanced than that, as the short-lived Rocket Rods of 1998 used the same technology of an onboard computer driving and steering the car. The only difference is that the track was exposed, not under a separate themed surface.

And you can count the Indiana Jones Adventures at the DLR and the improved system at TDR as well as Dinosaur which opened in between, as they also work exactly like Test Track. The only difference is in the vehicle itself, which has a motion base on top of the chassis.

So then, RSR would be seventh generation. :)
Ah, I didn't realize that IJA/Dinosaur was a derivative of the Test Track technology. Very interesting...thank you.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ah, I didn't realize that IJA/Dinosaur was a derivative of the Test Track technology. Very interesting...thank you.
Not really. More the other way round. The EMV started development in the late 80s.

Test Track is more an EMV type drive system - albeit far more rugged - but with a totally different ride system.

EpcotFanForever

Note also that Dinosaur and Indiana Jones use hydraulics for the motion base (which requires some 30 gallons of hydraulic fluid on board) and is an environmental mess when a hose breaks. The more rigid environmental requirements in Japan required them to use a more advanced system in TDL based on linear induction motors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom