Test Track refurb???

janoimagine

Keep in mind also American Car Companies tend to make inferior models than their Japanese counterparts. GM in particular has a rather sketchy history.

In the past I would agree with you, however American quality is getting better, a lot better (with the exception of Chrysler, which is still struggling) so that line is getting a little blurry (Toyota gas pedal recall???) and I think for those of us that live in the states, this is a great thing.

Truth be told Audi is the standard by which pretty much every car company is measuring themselves against (except obviously the exotics), GM, Ford, Chrysler even the Japanese, and even Audis direct German competitor BMW. One needs to look no further than the Design center parking lot at both Ford Motor Company in Dearborn and GM's Design center in Warren, most if not all of the lead designers are driving Audis. Go figure. :shrug:

misterID

http://www..com/2011/09/15/epcots-test-track-2012-overhaul-retheme/

Latest from the rumor mill: General Motors is ready to ink a deal to sponsor their Epcot pavilion for a further 10 years until 2022. As part of the deal the Test Track attraction would essentially be gutted, leaving only the ride path and vehicles chassis in place.Other areas of the pavilion would also be completely redone as they were during the transition from World of Motion to Test Track.

The new ride-thru attraction that Disney is in talks with GM to fund would involve new vehicle bodies for the Test Track vehicles designed not by Imagineering but rather GM’s own design, research, and development unit. Upgraded interiors and new electronics and show elements (screens, etc..) would be the fruit of this collaboration. For the ride scenes the pavilion would become a sort of hybrid version of the original World of Motion and the current Test Track attraction, detailing vehicle design, production, fabrication, and testing with a nod toward its history and the future. Apparently currently iterations of the design have a distinctly forward-looking emphasis with grand splashes of futurism to boot.

Final details are being worked out between the companies before any formal announcement is going to be made. This information is subject to change. Two timelines for a possible closure of the attraction have been discussed, starting in either January or April. As always, the full history of the Transportation pavilion at Epcot, including its conceptual origins as a two-ride attraction with both a high-speed test track and a history ride-thru, can be found in the Epcot Explorer’s Enyclopedia.

This would be FANTASTIC.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
In the past I would agree with you, however American quality is getting better, a lot better (with the exception of Chrysler, which is still struggling) so that line is getting a little blurry (Toyota gas pedal recall???) and I think for those of us that live in the states, this is a great thing.

Toyota's gas pedal issue turned out to be bad drivers, not Toyota.

Brian_B

You criticize Mission Space for its supposed lack of imagineering, yet the ride you praise highly for imagineering was a simple, basic people-mover with animatronic displays.

This is going to make me sound like SUCH a fanboi, but World of Motion was EXTREMELY complex; the phrase "a simple, basic people-mover" is easily one of the stupidest things I've ever read on these boards, and that's saying something. You need to read before you post.

Horizons was just as complex, if not more. Think about it: Every single showscene had anywhere from 5-15 audio animatronic effects, to speak nothing of the hundreds of actual film projectors, displays (TV monitors, etc), roscoe smoke machines, smellitizers, audio systems (music and sound effects) and the actual ride vehicles themselves, all working in careful synchronization to deliver what basically amounts to a ~20 minute three-dimensional showcase. Go read Mesa Verde times; you might learn a thing or two.

Test Track, from an imagineering standpoint - not ENGINEERING standpoint, but imagineering, ie, delivering an entertaining show - is a total joke. It's a very complex ride system, yes, but that's all it is. It's always felt to me like they built the track and vehicles and left out the rest. It plays out in a big, empty room...one that used to be filled to overflowing with what I personally consider to be a one-of-a-kind work of art that will never grace the earth again. So for the sake of me NOT suffering a cerebral hemorrhage from reading banal posts like yours (although you could ask me why I'm even reading these boards and have a valid point), pretty please with sugar on top THINK before you post?

Cosmic Commando

No electronic issues, but two mechanical issues: the floor mats and the pedals in addition to driver error. If it was really just operator error, no company would recall eight million vehicles.

Reports of sudden acceleration in Toyota cars did spike whenever there was national publicity focused on the issue, however, NASA said.

There was a real problem, but there was also hysteria once the issue was in the spotlight.

janoimagine

... but World of Motion was EXTREMELY complex ...
Test Track, from an imagineering standpoint - not ENGINEERING standpoint, but imagineering, ie, delivering an entertaining show - is a total joke.

Disagree with you completly on 2 points.

Horizons was technical marvel when it opened (agree 100%), WOM, however unique and interresting, and detailed the story vignettes were (I believe there were 23 sets in all, and over 200 AA's), was still an omnimover any way you look at it. I rode it hundreds of times, it was nothing more than something that WDI had done several times before that. Even the finale, the speed tunnel, was nothing more than what they had used years before in Dreamflight. If it was complex, it was only in scale, not in new tech.

Test Track, while I will admit lacks the immersive story line of a Horizons or the Whimsical yet Historical Story of the former WOM, it is still entertaining ... not on the scale of of the former, but the testing process of our transportation is interresting to most, to say its a joke is extreme. It is a great ride inside and out, however it like most of Disney Worlds attractions, is now suffering greatly from a lack of maintenance and updates.

Hopefully that is going to change soon.

RSoxNo1

I went on Test Track yesterday - some observations:

• All in all the ride looked pretty good.
  • In the Single Riders queue, the words "Test Track" could be faintly seen on the main monitor as if there was some screen burn
  • Mist for the initial tire "spinning" was working
  • Our on-board monitors were working
  • ABS Cones were not working
  • Barrier test vehicle was stationary

Scuttle

I went on Test Track yesterday - some observations:

• All in all the ride looked pretty good.
  • In the Single Riders queue, the words "Test Track" could be faintly seen on the main monitor as if there was some screen burn
  • Mist for the initial tire "spinning" was working
  • Our on-board monitors were working
  • ABS Cones were not working
  • Barrier test vehicle was stationary

I went on TT Tuesday and I thought it looked pretty bad. the ABS cone part has been broken for over a year it seems. Also one of the tvs right after the ABS before you go into the heat chamber wasn't even on. Also my car audio was messed up. I didn't get to hear "do you feel an increase in lateral forces" part. Overall I thought it looked pretty bad. I was one car from getting to ride the new blue chevy car! Me and girlfriend were disappointed to not get it.

WDWGoof07

I've been getting bits and pieces of information regarding this project from inside friends and here is what I know (some of which has already been elluded to by formum members):

Complete overhaul of the pre and post show areas, new videos, kiosks, ect.
Complete overhaul of the ride itself, the track layout will remain the same, however the vignettes, or show sequences will be reworked or replaced entirely. It was hinted that a tron like look with futuristic lights and design could be one of these new vignettes. Expect Chevy to have a much stronger presence or be the only presence on the ride. The ride theme will change from vehicle testing to something along the lines of 'from concept to reality' (from what I was told this is still somewhat influx).

According to my source GM will be producing or providing the shells for the cars as well as some of the electronics like video screens and tech inside the ride vehicles and inside the ride itself as opposed to WDI which is apparently a little break from the norm (not sure, perhaps Lee or Martin has a little more knowledge on how that works in terms of sponsors providing these types of working show elements) it does make sense to me considering the ride vehicle is a car and they are car manufacturers.

I know they have a budget signed and approved by GM and from what I have been told it is a substantial one for this refurb, I was also told that GM is set to ink a 10 year deal to continue to sponsor the pavilion through 2022.

I do not know when they will be starting this refurb, or how long it would take, but based on what I have been told so far I would think it would at the very least be 6 months or more.

While I cannot confirm 100% that all these things will happen, I do trust this person and they are in a position within the company that would provide them access to this knowledge. Perhaps some of our more senior members can validate a few of these claims.

http://www..com/2011/09/15/epcots-test-track-2012-overhaul-retheme/

Latest from the rumor mill: General Motors is ready to ink a deal to sponsor their Epcot pavilion for a further 10 years until 2022. As part of the deal the Test Track attraction would essentially be gutted, leaving only the ride path and vehicles chassis in place.Other areas of the pavilion would also be completely redone as they were during the transition from World of Motion to Test Track.

The new ride-thru attraction that Disney is in talks with GM to fund would involve new vehicle bodies for the Test Track vehicles designed not by Imagineering but rather GM’s own design, research, and development unit. Upgraded interiors and new electronics and show elements (screens, etc..) would be the fruit of this collaboration. For the ride scenes the pavilion would become a sort of hybrid version of the original World of Motion and the current Test Track attraction, detailing vehicle design, production, fabrication, and testing with a nod toward its history and the future. Apparently currently iterations of the design have a distinctly forward-looking emphasis with grand splashes of futurism to boot.

Final details are being worked out between the companies before any formal announcement is going to be made. This information is subject to change. Two timelines for a possible closure of the attraction have been discussed, starting in either January or April. As always, the full history of the Transportation pavilion at Epcot, including its conceptual origins as a two-ride attraction with both a high-speed test track and a history ride-thru, can be found in the Epcot Explorer’s Enyclopedia.
I don't like the sound of this at all. Test Track is the best ride at Epcot. Sure, give it a big refurb and maybe a little plussing, but one thing WDW does not need is a complete change to the ride. There are other more pressing matters to attend to in WDW before even considering a huge overhaul to Test Track.

That sounds awesome. I'm sure many would absolutely love this idea to come to fruition.

Also, do you think the name would have to change? Would it no longer be called Test Track? What else could they name it?

WDITrent

The thing that makes me excited to hear about GM actually taking over the ride vehicles is that I imagine they would want to seriously make an positive impression of their own designs, which leads me to believe that these would be pretty schnazzy cars.

janoimagine

I don't like the sound of this at all. Test Track is the best ride at Epcot. Sure, give it a big refurb and maybe a little plussing, but one thing WDW does not need is a complete change to the ride. There are other more pressing matters to attend to in WDW before even considering a huge overhaul to Test Track.

While I partially agree with you, your not considering that Test Track is a sponsored pavilion, and this money is not coming from Disney, rather its corporate sponsor GM.

Side note: Any plussing, any where on property, is a good thing, espicially at Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom