Test Track refurb???

articos

There were actually long lines for WOM at one time. This is a photo from Yesterland showing the queue line in 1983:
fwthennow1_generalmotors1983ww.jpg

Funny how they didn't find it necessary to put in a temporary "shade" structure then.
On a side note, I wish they'd bring back those old Future World directional signs. They would still look modern today and are a lot easier to follow than those awful 90s ones that are still around in some parts of Future World.
It did happen where lines got this bad, but the park had to be really busy and/or the ride was down. I remember lines stretching back to CommuniCore a few times only during the busiest times at Christmas or peak mid-summer, usually for Energy (which had massive problems with the ride vehicles originally) and Horizons when it was being finicky. Peak summer and Christmas week, the lines did come outside of Energy, Horizons, WoM and Journey, but not too badly, with SSE being worse than all of them.

This photo was January 83 per Werner, which was during peak, right after the media push - the park was busy, and I suspect they were just coming back online after being down, or it may be right at opening and/or they had a delayed open. It's morning, judging by the shadows. WoM wasn't the most reliable for the first year, and in those days, if the projectors in the speed rooms were dim or a major show AA was malfunctioning, the ride was taken down to fix it. That would commonly cause a line like this to form, but it was sucked into the building fairly quickly.

Look at the pristine, open spaces in the park. No kiosks, banners, flags, carts, Cool Wash, random signage, ECVs or strollers everywhere. Looks like a completely different place. Also, look at the uniformity in the signage, the WoM marquee and the building shapes. Even the bench and the curb are matched to the same angles, and you can see them. This park was absolutely gorgeous for the first decade.

articos

I've heard that in the park's early days, the lines were so long that they converged near Future World plaza and that CMs were stationed to point out which line went to Land, Imagination, Energy, WoM.

Have no idea how true that story is, but looking at that picture of WoM, it makes me think it might be truer than I once would've thought.
It happened, but was not common by any means. Was rare for Land to build a line that went back to CommuniCore.

articos

The difference you fail to mention is that rides went 101 back then when certain major show elements were broken and the ride wouldn't be put back into service until it was fixed. People complain about maintenance standards today because current management believes that if the ride vehicle can move from point A to point B then the ride is "fixed." That and "safety" is the only requirement for a ride to be open and its why floating through Splash Mountain so often feels like a tour of someone's stuffed animal collection.
I just have to give you props for this comment. LOL

lazyboy97o

I've heard that in the park's early days, the lines were so long that they converged near Future World plaza and that CMs were stationed to point out which line went to Land, Imagination, Energy, WoM.

Have no idea how true that story is, but looking at that picture of WoM, it makes me think it might be truer than I once would've thought.
Must be a complete lie. EPCOT Center was a complete failure because it didn't have any Disney characters...:rolleyes:

westcot1982

This photo was January 83 per Werner, which was during peak, right after the media push - the park was busy, and I suspect they were just coming back online after being down, or it may be right at opening and/or they had a delayed open.

Are you sure it was January? I know Horizons opened exactly a year after EPCOT Center on October 1, 1983. The logo is on the directional sign. Did they have it up 10 months early?

Look at the pristine, open spaces in the park. No kiosks, banners, flags, carts, Cool Wash, random signage, ECVs or strollers everywhere. Looks like a completely different place. Also, look at the uniformity in the signage, the WoM marquee and the building shapes. Even the bench and the curb are matched to the same angles, and you can see them. This park was absolutely gorgeous for the first decade.

I was hoping they'd as least remove the Cool Wash. It's just pointless clutter.

articos

Are you sure it was January? I know Horizons opened exactly a year after EPCOT Center on October 1, 1983. The logo is on the directional sign. Did they have it up 10 months early?
Good catch, thank you. I stand corrected. Werner says it was January in the column, but that signage would not be in place 10 months early. Horizons signage went on to the in-park signs in late summer with "opening soon" if I remember correctly. I can't see if that opening soon text is there or not (there's something extra on the sign, but it may just be dirt - doesn't look like text), but the icon is definitely there. So, can't be sure of when this photo was, but it does look early 80s due to the clean look of the place and the clothing, and there are coats in there. The palms and the bamboo haven't grown in yet, either. That puts my theory in the probably right after the ride was down or it's first thing at opening columns.

You, me and a large contingent of WDI.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I have to say I was one kid who loved EPCOT. It was always my favorite. I still love Living with the Land. The living seas was my favorite. I was always in AWE of the opening video. And it rained and rained and rained, the Deluge. Ah good times. Kids did not change EPCOT, the world that thinks it has to Dumb things down to kids changed EPCOT. lol

I was born in 1981, and EPCOT was always my favorite park. After a half day at the Magic Kingdom, I always wanted to go back to EPCOT to ride Horizons, World of Motion, and Space Ship Earth. I agree, people who think kids are dumb and need to be talked down to have changed EPCOT. "The Living Seas needed to be changed so EPCOT had a kids ride" is total bull. The originals were far superior, and had a lot more neat stuff to see that engaged kids. MK and the other parks never clicked with me the way EPCOT did. That picture of WoM with the line out the door toward Communicore is wonderful.

Tom Morrow

The difference you fail to mention is that rides went 101 back then when certain major show elements were broken and the ride wouldn't be put back into service until it was fixed. People complain about maintenance standards today because current management believes that if the ride vehicle can move from point A to point B then the ride is "fixed." That and "safety" is the only requirement for a ride to be open and its why floating through Splash Mountain so often feels like a tour of someone's stuffed animal collection.
LOL!!

And this post is seriously completely accurate.

blm07

My friend mentioned something about how much land was in between the Carousel and the new Fantasyland entrance, and how much empty space was there. If you want to know what it's like to be in Disney World without all the merchandise carts, DVC booths and other crap, that is the place to be. Once it opens, it's pretty likely they will add all that junk in soon enough. Some people don't understand what the blessing of size used to be - nice big open areas.

TestTrack Dummy

Sadly i never knew the Epcot that once housed WoM, Horizons, and all other classics. Seeing so many video's on those attractions make me wish i had gotten the chance to experience them at least once before they left.

articos

My friend mentioned something about how much land was in between the Carousel and the new Fantasyland entrance, and how much empty space was there. If you want to know what it's like to be in Disney World without all the merchandise carts, DVC booths and other crap, that is the place to be. Once it opens, it's pretty likely they will add all that junk in soon enough. Some people don't understand what the blessing of size used to be - nice big open areas.

It does feel very open right now, but fear not, the carts are a-coming. There's a merchandise team and an F&B team itching to fill that empty space with patented Vend-o-Clutter™. ;) Enjoy the open space while it exists. Contrast that against the lack of space over in Storybook Circus, though...SC is crowded now...think of how it's going to be in summer. I actually think the NF team should have shifted everything a touch to take advantage of that open space a bit more to give SC a tad more room. Would have also helped with some of the sightline intrusion of Tomorrowland into NF. I should probably stop with the asides, to get back to Test Track's big blue canopy of tomorrow.

matt9112

think about the kids =P

FERRARA12

My first visit to EPCOT was Thanksgiving of 1982. While the EPCOT of today has a lot of problems, the original EPCOT was also pretty flawed. It felt a bit dated when it opened - a tribute to fossil fuels, turning deserts into oasis, static corporate exhibits. It was a little cold in parts and generally was lacking in humor. It seems to me that WDW mgmt has tried to make EPCOT more exciting, warmer and add a few laughs and thrills. Some have succeeded and some have failed but in the process, the park has become a bit of a hodge podge. No matter what one thinks of the old EPCOT, it was a consistent vision. The new park doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

Omnispace

Another reason for the canopies -- family members waiting outside... The last time I went to Epcot with my dad he didn't want to go on thrill rides like Mission Space or Test Track so it's good he had a shaded place to wait outside. We could have enjoyed World Of Motion and Horizons together. Personally, I like the building better with no canopy. Find a way to let people queue up inside in the air conditioned space. Design attractions that entire families can enjoy together.

The lowered canopy idea looks a lot better than the current one. Unfortunately it blocks the view of the track -- wait -- one can't actually see the cars racing around the track because it is banked so much! That's why they had to add mirrors above the entrance. Poor concept -- lets design a ride where we can have cars zoom around the building and forget that when we bank the track, no one can actually see them...

How about a low arched canopy across the walkway to compliment the new entry structures? Can anyone Photoshop that one??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom