Test Track refurb???

westcot1982

There were actually long lines for WOM at one time. This is a photo from Yesterland showing the queue line in 1983:
fwthennow1_generalmotors1983ww.jpg

Funny how they didn't find it necessary to put in a temporary "shade" structure then.
On a side note, I wish they'd bring back those old Future World directional signs. They would still look modern today and are a lot easier to follow than those awful 90s ones that are still around in some parts of Future World.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
There were actually long lines for WOM at one time. This is a photo from Yesterland showing the queue line in 1983:

Funny how they didn't find it necessary to put in a temporary "shade" structure then.
On a side note, I wish they'd bring back those old Future World directional signs. They would still look modern today and are a lot easier to follow than those awful 90s ones that are still around in some parts of Future World.

Amazing how the demographic has changed. No kids!

TalkingHead

I've heard that in the park's early days, the lines were so long that they converged near Future World plaza and that CMs were stationed to point out which line went to Land, Imagination, Energy, WoM.

Have no idea how true that story is, but looking at that picture of WoM, it makes me think it might be truer than I once would've thought.

Amazing how the demographic has changed. No kids!

I have to say I was one kid who loved EPCOT. It was always my favorite. I still love Living with the Land. The living seas was my favorite. I was always in AWE of the opening video. And it rained and rained and rained, the Deluge. Ah good times. Kids did not change EPCOT, the world that thinks it has to Dumb things down to kids changed EPCOT. lol

montyz81

i don't remember waiting that long!!!

HMF

I have to say I was one kid who loved EPCOT. It was always my favorite. I still love Living with the Land. The living seas was my favorite. I was always in AWE of the opening video. And it rained and rained and rained, the Deluge. Ah good times. Kids did not change EPCOT, the world that thinks it has to Dumb things down to kids changed EPCOT. lol
Bingo!

djlaosc

Test Track is/(was?) one of my favourite rides in WDW, but I do wish that I got to experience World of Motion/Horizons (first visit was 2002 - I watched Martin's Vids of them a few weeks ago) - it would have been nice to have had both WOM and TT as part of a large Transportation Pavilion (if people didn't want to/couldn't ride TT they could ride WOM - and then there may not have needed to be a canopy outside as people wouldn't have to wait outside), a combined COP/Horizons Pavilion, and a Space Pavilion that included Mission:SPACE (but wasn't only Mission:SPACE).

HMF

Test Track is/(was?) one of my favourite rides in WDW, but I do wish that I got to experience World of Motion/Horizons (first visit was 2002 - I watched Martin's Vids of them a few weeks ago) - it would have been nice to have had both WOM and TT as part of a large Transportation Pavilion (if people didn't want to/couldn't ride TT they could ride WOM - and then there may not have needed to be a canopy outside as people wouldn't have to wait outside), a combined COP/Horizons Pavilion, and a Space Pavilion that included Mission:SPACE (but wasn't only Mission:SPACE).
That would have been nice but GM didn't' want to, unfortunately

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've heard that in the park's early days, the lines were so long that they converged near Future World plaza and that CMs were stationed to point out which line went to Land, Imagination, Energy, WoM.

Have no idea how true that story is, but looking at that picture of WoM, it makes me think it might be truer than I once would've thought.
I'd think it may be entirely possible. I've seen similar pictures of Energy and Imagination. I guess rest assured though without a ride stop, and Energy not included, the lines didn't stop shuffling. People eater attractions and no Fastpass.

djkidkaz

And I bet you every single one of those people in that line are thinking: "Why the hell can't they put up a shade structure?!"

The Empress Lilly

And I bet you every single one of those people in that line are thinking: "Why the hell can't they put up a shade structure?!"
No, because they are wearing their thick sweaters and coats. :)

It's probably during the Chrismas holidays, at peak hour, shortly after opening, at a time when half of EPCOT wasn't finished yet.

The picture is an anomaly. Taken precisely because the lines were so abnormally long here. Like those pictures from last month of the three hour wait all the way from MouseGears to the entrance for special 'EPCOT 30' merchandise on Oct. 1st.
WoM never needed a canopy, no more than MouseGears does.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was probably 101. Again.

WoM had its interior switchbacks in the load hall, plus the covered exterior rotunda was a maze of rope lines too. Add to that the people swallowing ride system and its no wonder lines like this were either 1982-3 or during a ride stop.

AndyMagic

Traitor! We are trying to convince the young whippersnappers here that maintenance standards have steadily declined! :p

WoM never broke down! Never mind all of the time! Neither did Imagination, the turntable was not a problem!
The difference you fail to mention is that rides went 101 back then when certain major show elements were broken and the ride wouldn't be put back into service until it was fixed. People complain about maintenance standards today because current management believes that if the ride vehicle can move from point A to point B then the ride is "fixed." That and "safety" is the only requirement for a ride to be open and its why floating through Splash Mountain so often feels like a tour of someone's stuffed animal collection.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom