Test Track 2012 Refurb.. You heard it here first.

novawildcat18

I really don't like the idea of Tron elements coming into Test Track. I guess maybe I'm one of the few people who loves the concept of Test Track the way it is. Of course, I love the idea of it getting refurbished to make it up to date but I don't want it to be "re-imagined". Especially with a new theme based off a movie, I'd rather it be completely original.

Jerm

It does. Well, 3 need help, but sponsorship works wonders with TDO.

You mean money makes the Disney World go round????

I am not putting money on the whole Test Track becoming Tron, but as people have said I am sure some bits will be Tron like!

c-one

Whatever happens I just hope they at least update the intro video. You can only watch a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am get crashed so many times. A few of the brands in that video don't even exist anymore. Its almost embarrassing to watch.

No kidding. Updating the graphic interface beyond the psuedo-Windows 97 would be good, too.

Hasn't it been known that the refurb would bring in more futuristic elements? When we say "TRON-ish" in relation to this refurb, we mean glowing lights and futuristic cars, not actual elements from the TRON movies, right?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Wow.. So quick to Judge... just give it time guys.. ;)

Like it or love it, don't kill the messenger ;)

Well, both posters who claimed "shenanigans" have not followed up on my request for them to explain what they mean by that.

The dictionary says "a mischievous or deceitful trick, practice, etc.".

I hope you aren't playing a trick (and have no reason to believe you are) and that your info turns out to be sound, as a major update/upgrade of Test Track would be wonderful, and theming it in whole or in part to Tron would seem to suggest a major update indeed.

montyz81

Martin, Lee, OP: does this mean we will finally be rid of that awful scaffolding that destroys the view of the sleek curved elegance of the beautiful WoM building?

How cool would it be to see the cars going up the curved hill out in the original open foyer of WOM. The first part of WOM/TT would be an anamatronic history, then into a full TT type ride that takes you outside.

zooey

Tron would be a confusing "theme" for Test Track, because Tron is more or less about computers and virtual reality, which would make for a great pavilion in its own right. If you put Tron over TT, then what is the pavilion about? Mobility or computers? I'm not sure they could make it make sense.

devoy1701

Tron would be a confusing "theme" for Test Track, because Tron is more or less about computers and virtual reality, which would make for a great pavilion in its own right. If you put Tron over TT, then what is the pavilion about? Mobility or computers? I'm not sure they could make it make sense.

I don't think so...I just think an overhaul such as this would make it a lot less "in your face cars...testing...GM...yadda yadda." The fact that the backdrop would now actually be a futuristic environment means that they could use it to showcase some of GMs concept ideas and features while having an actual story to the attraction, and make it once again about mobility and how it blends with technology in the future.

I think it could work and make it much more fitting of "Future World" than what we have today. But Lee and Martin suggest that it's not going to be an in your face Tron overhaul.

zooey

I don't think so...I just think an overhaul such as this would make it a lot less "in your face cars...testing...GM...yadda yadda." The fact that the backdrop would now actually be a futuristic environment means that they could use it to showcase some of GMs concept ideas and features while having an actual story to the attraction, and make it once again about mobility and how it blends with technology in the future.

I think it could work and make it much more fitting of "Future World" than what we have today. But Lee and Martin suggest that it's not going to be an in your face Tron overhaul.

I agree with you for the most part, I just think that a Tron ride could be a really great backing for a brand new pavilion dedicated to computer technology and virtual reality, etc. rather than just a weak integration into an existing attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm guessing the OP means an attraction that has a look and feel of the Tron movies whilst still being related to automobile design... Not TronTrack.

The Empress Lilly

I'm guessing the OP means an attraction that has a look and feel of the Tron movies whilst still being related to automobile design... Not TronTrack.
Like a life-sized CenterCore then? Would be cool. That blue city of the future always was a bit Tron-ish. Such a stylish early 1980's look. It goes really well with EPCOT. Which, after all, down to its DNA is permeated with that sleek late-modern look of Tron, a movie which is a near contemporary of the park.

The more junk and clutter one removes from TT or FW, the more it automatically receives a Tron-ish overlay.

Victor Kelly

We can always hope for it to be like spiderman in Uni. I can see how Tron elements would fit. I would like to see the wonders of life pavillion used again too.

muteki

Like a life-sized CenterCore then? Would be cool. That blue city of the future always was a bit Tron-ish. Such a stylish early 1980's look. It goes really well with EPCOT. Which, after all, down to its DNA is permeated with that sleek late-modern look of Tron, a movie which is a near contemporary of the park.

The more junk and clutter one removes from TT or FW, the more it automatically receives a Tron-ish overlay.

Yes plz.

TT has so much potential but I am rather sick of it after ~15 years. A new overlay (and removing the scaffolding) could go a long way.

WDW1974

I would guess that as well ... and that is true ... even the new vehicles (already out) have Tronesque elements to their design. But that does NOT make the attraction one themed to a very overrated (even while drinking adult beverages) film.

Now, can we talk about what a lousy gas-guzzler the Chevy Impala is?:xmas:

WDW1974

:eek:

Pah! Says the man who dislikes the glorious original Imagination, that exhilarating third act of Disney psychedelia, after Fantasia and Alice in Wonderland. :eek:

Off to Pottyland with ya! :zipit:

That Lee is a DISNEY H8TR ... can't stand the company. I wish he'd just go to UNI and then the lines for Space Mountain wouldn't be so long for the rest of us.

How can anyone with a soul ... a true Disney Spirit not appreciate the beauty and real MAGIC of Journey Into Imagination?:xmas: (Dear Santa, for Christmas I want a Figment smiley! Thanks, your pal, '74!)

ryanduggers

In calling "shenanigans", are you asserting that you believe that:

a. wdw71fan is lying and does not believe his prediction, but is just screwing with us?
b. wdw71fan is making a bold prediction that he has little basis for?
c. wdw71fan has been fed false information, such that, even thought wdw71fan believes it, the person who fed him the informaiton does not?
d. wdw71fan is correct that people are considering this, but you believe they will change their minds before a green light is given?
e. something else.

Lighten up , Francis......

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Maybe I'm lost here. Test Track is a really popular attraction with, in my opinion, a good story - why change it :shrug:?

It has a STORY?!?!?!? :shrug:

Anyway, I agree, people are looking too far into this. I bet we'll see some futuristic additions that could be (mis)construed as being specifically TRON themed, instead of having glowing effects.

This also makes me wonder....maybe the TRON ride they're working on for Shanghai could be the same ride system...maybe they'll do some testing while its down?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom