Terrorists in Florida?

NowInc

Originally posted by dopey
What in Miami could they blow up? A cruise ship? Ballot boxes? Flamingos? Seriously, what's there that a terrorist would want to target?

More than youd think.....but uh...they are doing this on the offseason?

Tramp

Original Poster
What in Miami could they blow up? A cruise ship? Ballot boxes? Flamingos? Seriously, what's there that a terrorist would want to target?

...isn't there a nuclear plant near Miami?

Nut4Disney

There is a hell of alot of people in Miami. Any building in downtown Miami that would be targeted would still create alot of devestation and loss of lives. It doesn't have to be a landmark, or power plant. They could just be trying to spread the terror to different points in the U.S. that would not necessarily be a prime target.

DanStat

Hasn't Al Quidea suggested doing "suicide car bomb" attacks?.....other than that I can't think of anything in Miami.

Duane

Account Suspended
chickens?

It appears to me that we may be over reacting once again to nothing. Since the attacks last year, it seems that we have been scared of our own shadows. Let's get on with our lives and accept the fact that we were "outsmarted" once and we won't let it happen again.

WDWspider

I don't see it as chicken when we are stating facts that are happening as we speak. Paranoia is totally different from reality. Maybe I just took your words too much out of context, but I believe everyone is entitled to know what is going on around them. I would also rather be safe and cautious than sorry, meaning if this is non-terrorist related than great , but if is is then all the better for quick response time.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by spider-man
I don't see it as chicken when we are stating facts that are happening as we speak. Paranoia is totally different from reality. Maybe I just took your words too much out of context, but I believe everyone is entitled to know what is going on around them. I would also rather be safe and cautious than sorry, meaning if this is non-terrorist related than great , but if is is then all the better for quick response time.

TOTALLY agree!

dopey

From the Sun-Sentinal:

``Dogs alerted to the vehicles, meaning there was some type of explosive or had been some type of explosive in the vehicle,'' (Florida Highway Patrol Lt. John) Bagnardi said.

So, there is something to it. It could be that they weren't targeting anything in Miami, but catching a plane there.

Erika

Originally posted by DMC-12

Apparently they are all of middle eastern decent....one is 5'10 200lbs 20-30 yrs old..more details coming in.....

They are from Illinois *gulp*:eek: they are here legally and one of the cars looks to be a hunter green Honda Prelude....oh..and they Like Shoney's :hurl: :lol:

On the triggering device...the bomb squad is checking out the Honda Prelude now...

I wish I could make out there liscense plate ... cause I would call a *cough* friend....and get more info...:)

There is a house in Bartlett that was surrounded this morning. I don't know the street yet, but that's a little too close for my comfort!

Erika

Originally posted by DMC-12

Apparently they are all of middle eastern decent....one is 5'10 200lbs 20-30 yrs old..more details coming in.....

They are from Illinois *gulp*:eek: they are here legally and one of the cars looks to be a hunter green Honda Prelude....oh..and they Like Shoney's :hurl: :lol:

On the triggering device...the bomb squad is checking out the Honda Prelude now...

I wish I could make out there liscense plate ... cause I would call a *cough* friend....and get more info...:)

At least one of them lives in a house in Bartlett that was surrounded this morning. I don't know the street yet, but that's a little too close for my comfort!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Erika

At least one of them lives in a house in Bartlett that was surrounded this morning. I don't know the street yet, but that's a little too close for my comfort!

And something about one of them...or the plates from one of the cars being from Hangover...er Hanover Park

Erika

I just went to CNN and learned that the men are students at the med school on Dominica. One of my best friends, a Muslim, just started there. I hope things don't get ugly for her down there. :(

jmarc63

Originally posted by spider-man

Concern or not this picticular story is frought with so much Mis-information hersay and ineuendo and I dont belive the reaction it is envoking.

Spider are you saying what you read are the facts, I dont agree on that. I'll tell you why, We are assuming the worst without having the correct facts. I have read 10 diffrent articles on the internet and watched CNN, FoxNews and MSMBC and none of them are presenting the same facts all around. The only thing all of the storys have in common is there were 3 males of middeleastern origins in two cars, a woman in a shoneys in Georgia noticed the men looked suspicious and called the police. Otherwise no one news agency seems to be on top of the authentic facts and are going on hersay or speculation to be first to report and this ispanicing some of us into a state of paranoia. Now before any one says that I'm not worred by this, your wrong this worries me plenty, But what worries me even more is that in a real crisis like 911 they might broadcast the wrong facts and make the situation worse instead of informing us correctly ,they might put us in more harm. Remember War of the Worlds. even though that was fake and the same situation could not happen today due to 100s of news outlets, Misinformation today could cause the same effect maybe not on a national scale but maybe local .

jmarc63

Re: chickens?

Originally posted by Duane
It appears to me that we may be over reacting once again to nothing. Since the attacks last year, it seems that we have been scared of our own shadows. Let's get on with our lives and accept the fact that we were "outsmarted" once and we won't let it happen again.

I totaly agree with you on thes Duane

jmarc63

From the Sun-Sentinal:

``Dogs alerted to the vehicles, meaning there was some type of explosive or had been some type of explosive in the vehicle,'' (Florida Highway Patrol Lt. John) Bagnardi said.

So, there is something to it. It could be that they weren't targeting anything in Miami, but catching a plane there.

BTW thoes dogs are trained to detect explosive agents but can not desern between a lowgrade firecracker that you can get from a roadside stand on the fourth of July and gun powder used on making a bomb. all they know is what there trained to detect. so saying they detected something leads us to speculation of all kinds.

jmarc63

As I suspected this was blowen way out of proportion by the media before all the facts were in. It turns out from what read on CNN.com and heard on network news casts tonight, that this may have been a situation of a racialy motivated bigotry against the three guys,after the investigation was concluded this evening by the FBI there was nothing in there possetion to suggest they were involved in any terrorist plot and the three guys denied saying anything that the woman reported as having to do with what she claimed she overheard. They were released tonight without any evidence to backup her claim.

However the in Lackawanna, a city just south of Buffalo, Ny the FBI raided an apartment building, arresting five members of a suspected terrorist cell linked to al qaeda on Friday night, Not much has been reported on this like the other incedent in Floridia was today, Probably because it was done swiftly and covertly as with all FBI raids. Unlike in Floridia this was all played out on a public roadway where Helicopters could witness the happenings live.

Herbie53

Premium Member
Four of the five men arrested in Lackawanna are in federal court in Buffalo right now. The fifth is in a federal detention center in Batavia. They are being charged with material support of Al Queda for having trained at one of their camps.

It's very weird to see Lackawanna on the national news! I guess Buffalo will now be known for snow and terrorists. What a reputation to have! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's encouraging to know that these arrests are coming out of an investigation from a newly formed anti-terrorism task force.

darthdarrel

It seems the 3 medical students were playing a prank on a patron,but the waitress that over heard them didn`t hear everything so it all got out of hand the 3 guys were let go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom