Temporary Huggles

DDuckFan130

Lil'mermaid said:
Oh god... I really think the cramps are twice as bad when you take provera. :(

*huggles Reg*
Yeah I believe so too...I have always taken Provera first and I remember the cramps being horrible...

*huggles* :D

Safari Giraffe

DDuckFan130 said:
It's ok....I've pretty much told Mad everything by now too :lol: The symptoms are there for that like hair growth, hormonal imbalance, and the weight thing so the endo seems to believe that is the problem. So for now I took Provera and have the period. And once I'm done, I start on Yasmin.

He was rather vague though but in March I have another appointment so maybe he'll be more definite then.

I hope things work out for the best for you. I have seen many patients with this same type of situation. Provera is evil but it works. Yasmin does help decrease the symptoms you are having. Make sure the doctor also watches your glucose levels to rule out any other possibilities (Dysmetabolic syndrome). I'm sure your doctor has done a full work-up already. Best of luck to you.

figmentmom

Finally catching up after a few days away!

Doug, I'm so sorry about your loss.

Regina, hope you feel a whole lot better SOON!

And, while we're discussing endocrinologist-type things, my son's girlfriend was just diagnosed with Graves disease, which runs in her family. She's seeing an endocrinologist on January 4th, and on a lot of meds until then. We downloaded a lot of (scary) information about it...anyone know anything about this disease, or know anyone who has it? She is reluctant to have the treatment to destroy part of her thyroid permanently, but her symptoms are interfering with her quality of life.

nibblesandbits

Well, I'm off for the night! I'm going to check up on my grandma...hopefully things will be going well. I will more than likely talk to you all tomorrow!

*huggles*

speck76

figmentmom said:

And, while we're discussing endocrinologist-type things, my son's girlfriend was just diagnosed with Graves disease, which runs in her family. She's seeing an endocrinologist on January 4th, and on a lot of meds until then. We downloaded a lot of (scary) information about it...anyone know anything about this disease, or know anyone who has it? She is reluctant to have the treatment to destroy part of her thyroid permanently, but her symptoms are interfering with her quality of life.
I don't know anything about the disease, but Hashimoto's disease runs in my family (which is the opposite of Graves I think).....the treatment is easy with no major side effects

DDuckFan130

figmentmom said:

Wow...I really do hope she's ok :)

*huggles*

figmentmom

Thanks, speck and Regina! The treatment she is being advised to have is a radiation treatment that will permanently destroy part of her VERY overactive thyroid. It is very effective for treating the symptoms she currently is experiencing; the bad news is that she will eventually wind up with an underactive thyroid, and need medication for that for the rest of her life. She's a senior in college, and upset about it (of course!)

MerHearted

figmentmom said:
Thanks, speck and Regina! The treatment she is being advised to have is a radiation treatment that will permanently destroy part of her VERY overactive thyroid. It is very effective for treating the symptoms she currently is experiencing; the bad news is that she will eventually wind up with an underactive thyroid, and need medication for that for the rest of her life. She's a senior in college, and upset about it (of course!)

My mother has had that problem for the last 15 years. Just in the last 6 months, she's undergone that very same treatment. I've been going in and out of hospitals and doctor's offices all of last year for that with her. The radiation treatment is just a tiny drink. It's not too bad.

speck76

figmentmom said:
my oldest sister is 33 and was diagnosed earlier this year with Hashimoto's....she has to be on the replacement hormone for the rest of her life, but as I said, it has no side effects (from my understanding) so it is not so bad.......it is not like having to be on Cholesterol or Blood Pressure medication, which have major side effects.

DDuckFan130

Hmm...I wonder whether I have to be on "the pill" for a looong time because I can't really menstruate on my own. I'm going to ask about that but seeing as how I was only able to do it on my own once in 2 years, then perhaps I'll have to always take the pill.

tigsmom

speck76 said:
my oldest sister is 33 and was diagnosed earlier this year with Hashimoto's....she has to be on the replacement hormone for the rest of her life, but as I said, it has no side effects (from my understanding) so it is not so bad.......it is not like having to be on Cholesterol or Blood Pressure medication, which have major side effects.

I take all three and the Synthroid (the brand I take) is the least problem causing. It runs in my family also and I have been taking medication for it for years... as she gets older the dose will probably change as the function in the thyroid decreases.

Mary, I know people with Grave's disease also and while the treatment seems scary its not really all that bad... you are taking the person from hyper to hypo - which is then easily treated.

tigsmom

DDuckFan130 said:
Hmm...I wonder whether I have to be on "the pill" for a looong time because I can't really menstruate on my own. I'm going to ask about that but seeing as how I was only able to do it on my own once in 2 years, then perhaps I'll have to always take the pill.

More than likely you will have to. If they decide to start you on Metformin (if your insulin levels are too high) then you may start on your own. If the pill has too many side effects for you (I couldn't take them for very long) then you will go back to Provera. If your thyroid levels are off, replacement therapy will also help.

DDuckFan130

tigsmom said:
More than likely you will have to. If they decide to start you on Metformin (if your insulin levels are too high) then you may start on your own. If the pill has too many side effects for you (I couldn't take them for very long) then you will go back to Provera. If your thyroid levels are off, replacement therapy will also help.
Blech..provera sucks...damn cramps :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom