TEAM TIME BRAINSTORMING THREAD

D Hulk

A Space Pavilion for spacemt354...

giphy.gif

DashHaber

I'm happy to see that we've got some voting going on. I wanted to at least see some discussions or a vote on the potential theme happen so that people could have some more direct input. Otherwise, I was just going to make a unilateral decision.

I'll give a few more hours for people to get their votes in, before I announce the winning theme. I'll shoot for 9 PM EST as the voting deadline.

DashHaber

Alright, folks, the votes are in! Here is the tally:

1. Computers: 16
  2. Space: 16
  3. Weather: 11
  4. Mind: 3
  5. Performing Arts: 2
It looks like we have a tie between Computers and Space, so I'm going to pull some executive action and pick our winner. In this case...Computers will be the theme for our pavilion!

We had a lot of good ideas, but Computers seems like a topic that will offer some real potential. It will naturally give us material for us to cover as we get into the updates and changes over the years, giving us a chance to explore the changing perception and understanding of computers. We've already had some solid ideas mentioned in regards to elements of the pavilion, such as Texas Instruments for a potential '80s-era sponsor and Tron as a potential IP used in the modern era. Plus, if the other teams go with a more nature-themed premise for their pavilions, we can stand out with more of a focus on technology and innovation.

DashHaber

Any initial thoughts? One of my earlier mentions was the idea of a dark ride where guests are "digitized" into a computer, taking them through the world inside of a computer and helping to showcase what a computer can be capable of. If we took the "one main ride" approach like some pavilions at Epcot, it'd be simple enough to make that the central element of the pavilion.

Perhaps there could also be an area where guests could interact with computer technology.

Outbound

Any initial thoughts? One of my earlier mentions was the idea of a dark ride where guests are "digitized" into a computer, taking them through the world inside of a computer and helping to showcase what a computer can be capable of. If we took the "one main ride" approach like some pavilions at Epcot, it'd be simple enough to make that the central element of the pavilion.

Perhaps there could also be an area where guests could interact with computer technology.
I think an Hour of Code / Scratch station would make sense for the 2010s rendition.

Sharon&Susan

If we go to more of a video game focus in the 2000's Wreck It Ralph would make a ton of sense and unlike Tron it hasn't been really used much in the real parks or by any of the other projects in this competition.

Would the dark ride you're thinking of that takes you inside the computer focus more on the components that physically make up the computer (like what I was suggesting earlier on doing with an Atari) or more of a pure digital world?

DashHaber

I think an Hour of Code / Scratch station would make sense for the 2010s rendition.
Oh, good call. Looking into them, Hour of Code would make a really good fit for an interactive computer area.

If we go to more of a video game focus in the 2000's Wreck It Ralph would make a ton of sense and unlike Tron it hasn't been really used much in the real parks or by any of the other projects in this competition.

Would the dark ride you're thinking of that takes you inside the computer focus more on the components that physically make up the computer (like what I was suggesting earlier on doing with an Atari) or more of a pure digital world?
Wreck-It Ralph would be another solid IP choice for the modern era if we chose to go that route. As for the dark ride itself, my initial thought was more of a digital space where we could get into the functions of a computer. It'd be a bit more fanciful as a way of breaking down the capabilities of a computer, though discussing some of the physical components could go along with that.

Also, I had some thoughts of what we could reflect with the different eras for the pavilion:
  • Opening Era could be about the wonders of the computer and what the computer is capable of, such as computerized automation, data storage, and beginnings of data sharing.
  • "Hip" Era could be about the internet, given how the '90s was when the World Wide Web really became popular. It could look at how the internet helps to connect people on a greater level than ever before.
  • Modern Era could be about how we use computers, such as using the internet to crowdsource solutions to a problem.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Another thought that crossed my mind was if we wanted any sort of restaurant service for the pavilion, as well. Perhaps something that allows for inputting an order on a monitor or touch screen, instead of a traditional process.

Also, to help give a little reference for that '80s era, here's a little dose of some computer-related content that was at CommuniCore:

DashHaber

Status Report - 3.21.2021

Well done, Team! We have now settled on the theme for our Future World pavilion: computers! With that settled, it's time to start brainstorming and designing! Let's use tomorrow to start thinking up what we can do with this pavilion. In particular, I'd like for us to give a special focus on the Opening Era version of the pavilion. If we are able to settle in and figure out what our computer pavilion is like in its earliest iteration, then that will give us a solid foundation when we get to thinking about the updates for the "Hip" Era and the Modern Era.

Let's get to crunching those numbers!

Sharon&Susan

Texas Instruments invented the first speech synthesis chip that was used on their own Speak N' Spell Toys. What about have a primitive version of Turtle Talk/Laugh Floor/ Stitch's Great Escape, but have the computer answer the questions using a primitive form of AI.

If we're not confidant in doing an entire show based on the concept, we could have a smaller game/display in there based around the idea. Maybe have guests be an investigator who has to ask a computer some questions about what they saw of the crime and try to figure out WhoDunIt (with guests having tons of suspects to chose from)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom