TEAM TIME BRAINSTORMING THREAD

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
So I found this real-life building built in the 1980s that I think we could use as inspiration for our facade:
The-Brutal-Wonders-Of-The-Architecture-World-GQ-Style-Fall-2018_07.jpg

This is the Geisel Library in La Jolla, one example of brutalist architecture. The buttresses (is that the right architectural term? ) remind me of circuit board patterns, especially when viewed from the angle seen in the photo. The only thing that's kinda holding me back on designing a facade based on this is that it could look like the love-child of both the Universe of Energy (with the repeating pillars) and Horizons (possible diamond-shaped roof) pavilions next door.

DashHaber

So I found this real-life building built in the 1980s that I think we could use as inspiration for our facade:

This is the Geisel Library in La Jolla, one example of brutalist architecture. The buttresses (is that the right architectural term? ) remind me of circuit board patterns, especially when viewed from the angle seen in the photo. The only thing that's kinda holding me back on designing a facade based on this is that it could look like the love-child of both the Universe of Energy (with the repeating pillars) and Horizons (possible diamond-shaped roof) pavilions next door.
I like the buttresses. Maybe we could use the buttresses as the supports for the roof that was in my piece of concept art? It'd be more striking than just plain walls or arches along the exterior.

spacemt354

Chili's
Status Report - 3.22.2021

Today has definitely been a productive day! Plenty of ideas, some concept art, and even a logo! Most of all, we actually have a rough plan now our computer pavilion, we we are calling The Data Base. Here's the plan set-up we've got:

Epcot Center (1980s):
  • Pavilion description
  • Pavilion music/song (if possible)
  • Computer dark ride (@DashHaber )
  • Interactive AI show
  • Interactive area
  • Sponsor lounge (@Sharon&Susan )
Epcot (1990s and 2000s):
  • Overview of updates and changes to the pavilion
  • Internet family coaster
Disney EPCOT (modern era):
  • Overview of updates and changes to the pavilion
  • Restaurant (@Sharon&Susan )
  • Retail
Now that we've got an idea of the tasks that need to be done, I'd like to see folks start picking tasks tomorrow and getting to work. That way, we can see ourselves starting to boot up this wonderful idea of a pavilion!

Jt2O.gif
If we're assigning roles - I could take the updates/changes to the pavilion as well as the internet family coaster of Epcot in the 1990s/2000s - I even have some old maps at home from this era to splice together.

DashHaber

Still plenty of tasks available. Does anyone want to claim anything?

Currently working on the dark ride, which I'm calling The Compu-Tour. I've already mentioned the main idea of guests being "digitized", but the path I'm roughly thinking is that guests would arrive within the Hard Disk Drive (where data is stored) after being digitized. From there, they travel along the motherboard to the CPU, where they'd learn about how it executes programs. They'd then witness the operating system at work, seeing some of the programs that a computer can do, before beaming out through a Network Adapter into a computer network and seeing just how computers can connect us over the world.

How does that sound? Does it sound like a decent path for communicating what a computer is and what it can do?

spacemt354

Chili's
Still plenty of tasks available. Does anyone want to claim anything?

Currently working on the dark ride, which I'm calling The Compu-Tour. I've already mentioned the main idea of guests being "digitized", but the path I'm roughly thinking is that guests would arrive within the Hard Disk Drive (where data is stored) after being digitized. From there, they travel along the motherboard to the CPU, where they'd learn about how it executes programs. They'd then witness the operating system at work, seeing some of the programs that a computer can do, before beaming out through a Network Adapter into a computer network and seeing just how computers can connect us over the world.

How does that sound? Does it sound like a decent path for communicating what a computer is and what it can do?
Sounds good to me - one question would the family coaster be an extension to the pavilion? Or would it be replacing this dark ride?

Second question - have we decided on the location being where WoL would have been? aka the 'tech' side of Future World?

DashHaber

Sounds good to me - one question would the family coaster be an extension to the pavilion? Or would it be replacing this dark ride?

Second question - have we decided on the location being where WoL would have been? aka the 'tech' side of Future World?
The family coaster would be a replacement for the Compu-Tour. I'd imagine Eisner would replace it as a way to try and get some more thrills and "hipness" into Epcot during the '90s, along with the coaster shifting the focus slightly from computers themselves more to the internet.

I'm thinking the Data Base would be located where the Living Seas would have been. It gives us a bit more room for the space of the pavilion.

spacemt354

Chili's

It looks good - maybe @D Hulk can chime in but did he use this as inspiration for The Microverse?

(the Season 4 Future World project)

Technically we are in the SYWTBAI universe so it can fit, I was just curious because it looks so similar

spacemt354

Chili's
The family coaster would be a replacement for the Compu-Tour. I'd imagine Eisner would replace it as a way to try and get some more thrills and "hipness" into Epcot during the '90s, along with the coaster shifting the focus slightly from computers themselves more to the internet.

I'm thinking the Data Base would be located where the Living Seas would have been. It gives us a bit more room for the space of the pavilion.
That's fine - personally I think it fits better on Future World East given the Astuter computer revue is already on that side, but can see the rationale for having 3 and 3 pavilions on both sides rather than 4 and 2.

DashHaber

That's fine - personally I think it fits better on Future World East given the Astuter computer revue is already on that side, but can see the rationale for having 3 and 3 pavilions on both sides rather than 4 and 2.
That's another thing. It would look a little lopsided having 4 and 2, so an even 3 and 3 split would be more aesthetically pleasing in terms of layout.

Also, thanks for taking on the family coaster.

spacemt354

Chili's
That's another thing. It would look a little lopsided having 4 and 2, so an even 3 and 3 split would be more aesthetically pleasing in terms of layout.

Also, thanks for taking on the family coaster.
I would just make a note in the 90s update, or even in the opening day pavilion description, that the Epcot Computer Central never existed. Since we are building the opening day pavilion, we can easily write-off the computer Communicore exhibit as an idea that became bigger in the planning stages and eventually became our pavilion, allowing the flexibility of placing it in Future World West.

This would be a similar rationale to the Hollywood Pavilion eventually becoming MGM Studios - an idea that started small and ended up being bigger than needed.

We can perhaps incorporate some Sherman Bros into the pavilion - similar to how Tomorrowland in WDW incorporates the Miracles from Molecules song into the background music despite Adventures thru Inner Space not existing in the park

D Hulk

It looks good - maybe @D Hulk can chime in but did he use this as inspiration for The Microverse?

(the Season 4 Future World project)

Technically we are in the SYWTBAI universe so it can fit, I was just curious because it looks so similar
Naw, one of the primary Microverse inspirations was the China Art Museum in Shanghai.

w480-h288-n

The angle is making that brutalist building look more alike than I think it really is.

DashHaber

I would just make a note in the 90s update, or even in the opening day pavilion description, that the Epcot Computer Central never existed. Since we are building the opening day pavilion, we can easily write-off the computer Communicore exhibit as an idea that became bigger in the planning stages and eventually became our pavilion, allowing the flexibility of placing it in Future World West.

This would be a similar rationale to the Hollywood Pavilion eventually becoming MGM Studios - an idea that started small and ended up being bigger than needed.

We can perhaps incorporate some Sherman Bros into the pavilion - similar to how Tomorrowland in WDW incorporates the Miracles from Molecules song into the background music despite Adventures thru Time and Space not existing in the park
Perhaps in the opening day description, it might be mentioned that they had initially planned a Computer Central for CommuniCore but the ideas grew big enough that they decided to devote a whole pavilion to computers. Thus, they instead decided to use that area in CommuniCore to tease their upcoming Imagination Pavilion.

For the sponsor are we going with Texas Instruments or Apple (at least for the 80's), Dash?
I say we go with Texas Instruments for the sponsor, considering their major presence in the electronics sector and how they could use their sponsorship to display some of their work (like with the speech technology you had mentioned for the AI show).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom